• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA is reportedly releasing Koei Tecmo hunting game Wild Hearts in early 2023

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
wild-hearts-768x554.jpg

That’s according to Giant Bomb reporter Jeff Grubb, who claims the game is the unidentified “partner title” EA has been listing for release in early 2023 in its last couple of quarterly earnings presentations.

If he’s correct, the news could be announced on Wednesday, when EA will release the debut Wild Hearts trailer.

EA Partners GM Jeff Gamon added: “Building on the incredible success of EA Originals, which includes the recent releases of It Takes Two and Knockout City, we’re thrilled to be partnering with the amazingly talented Omega Force team.

“They’ve elevated the hunting genre to the next level, merging their proven talent for combat gameplay with unexpected and innovative mechanics. We can’t wait to introduce their groundbreaking new adventure to the world later this month.”

Draugoth

Gold Member

Coming to PS5, XSX/S and PC (Steam, EGS, Origin)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Does this have anything to do with Wild Arms or Kingdom Hearts?

Terrible name. Looks like a good competitor to Monster Hunter. I'll give it that. I'm just worried about the monetization of this game, aside from that I'm excited.

Dynasty8

Surprised EA hasn't done any marketing on this game, especially with how successful the MH series is. It looks good, but still, expectations are low since it's EA. I legit think this is going to be the Anthem of Monster Hunter World.

Rykan

Yeah this thing is gonna flop pretty hard. A monster hunter like game that will only be released on systems that are basically unavailable in the territory where those games are most popular.

What were they thinking?

Yeah this thing is gonna flop pretty hard. A monster hunter like game that will only be released on systems that are basically unavailable in the territory where those games are most popular.

What were they thinking?

Thinking they don’t want to target a mobile platform for their major games?

People gotta stop acting like its a slight for big japanese game devs to skip the switch at this point. Not everyone wants to be tied to what equates to a galaxy s10 in console hardware. No matter how much the switch sells its not gonna be an enticing offer for devs that want to make actual ‘next gen’ games.

And monster hunter blew up because it did well globally not just in japan. Out of the 20+ million sales of the original MHW (not Iceborne) 3 million were in Japan

Last edited:
Surprised EA hasn't done any marketing on this game, especially with how successful the MH series is. It looks good, but still, expectations are low since it's EA. I legit think this is going to be the Anthem of Monster Hunter World.
Terrible name. Looks like a good competitor to Monster Hunter. I'll give it that. I'm just worried about the monetization of this game, aside from that I'm excited.
i'm thinking one might have to do with the other. iow, over the last while maybe they've finally come to realize that 'a monetized version of monster hunter' isn't gonna sit well with lots of people...

YukiOnna

People calling this a Monster Hunter clone but this is a Toukiden successor since it’s developed by Omega Force.

More details here:

Published under the EA Originals label and developed by Omega Force, the team behind the popular Warriors series, WILD HEARTS whisks players away on an epic adventure set in fantasy feudal Japan. There, they’ll battle against giant nature-infused beasts called Kemono with the help of Karakuri, sophisticated mechanisms crafted from a lost, ancient technology.

WILD HEARTS takes place in Azuma, a fantasy landscape inspired by feudal Japan, that is now rampaged by the once peaceful Kemono—altering their environment at the cost of citizens’ lives. The Kemono range from plant-infused squirrels to the massive Kingtusk wild boar. After a dreadful fight with the winter wolf Deathstalker, players become bearers of a life-sustaining technology and are compelled to restore balance across the region.

In WILD HEARTS, players journey through Azuma as a lone wolf or pack-hunt with up to two friends thanks to the game’s co-op and cross-play features across all platforms. Players can expand their battle plans and go on special missions while pack hunting, join other hunters in the world or take on Kemono on their own. The game will feature voice overs in English, Japanese, French, Italian, German and Spanish.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It looks nice (in horrible quality), ace Mononoke cursed God-like monsters, but its trailer doesn't show how meaty combat's going to be. The contraptions may be a cool twist on Monster Hunter's tools if they don't take focus away from the action. Their Toukidens looked cool too but I wasn't a fan...
People calling this a Monster Hunter clone but this is a Toukiden successor since it’s developed by Omega Force.
I mean, that's what Toukiden was too, how does that change anything? God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, Lord of Arcana, Freedom Wars, Dauntless, Final Fantasy Explorers, it was all attempts to get some of that massive fanbase, with varying degrees of success. Toukiden is probably the closest to its formula.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Monster Hunter with Fortnite building... I said I'd never play a Monster Hunter again because of limited time with work but I'm down to try off brand.

YukiOnna

It looks nice (in horrible quality), ace Mononoke cursed God-like monsters, but its trailer doesn't show how meaty combat's going to be. The contraptions may be a cool twist on Monster Hunter's tools if they don't take focus away from the action. Their Toukidens looked cool too but I wasn't a fan...

I mean, that's what Toukiden was too, how does that change anything? God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, Lord of Arcana, Freedom Wars, Dauntless, Final Fantasy Explorers, it was all attempts to get some of that massive fanbase, with varying degrees of success. Toukiden is probably the closest to its formula.
I just mean that if anything it’ll be more similar in style to Toukiden than Monster Hunter. Im all for more quality Japanese hunting games so it doesn’t matter to me.

Toukiden 3 looking cool, too bad it's published by EA we all know they are going to push microtrasactions
I’m not sure if they will since it’s their EA Originals brand. Does it have a history of that?

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I think it looks pretty cool but Q1 (and Feb especially) is already stacked to high heaven, other games around the same time-frame I'd prioritize over this.

I played MHW for over 100 hours purely as a single player experience (the couple of occasions I joined randos was fun tho!) so a big question mark is whether all the content in Wild Hearts can be enjoyed alone. It will also be interesting to see how egregious microtransactions are, let's see what happens.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Toukiden was okay but I'm not sure I need that much MonHun in my life. A little downtime between Sunbreak and MonHun Next Gen will do me well.

Rykan

Thinking they don’t want to target a mobile platform for their major games?

People gotta stop acting like its a slight for big japanese game devs to skip the switch at this point. Not everyone wants to be tied to what equates to a galaxy s10 in console hardware. No matter how much the switch sells its not gonna be an enticing offer for devs that want to make actual ‘next gen’ games.

And monster hunter blew up because it did well globally not just in japan. Out of the 20+ million sales of the original MHW (not Iceborne) 3 million were in Japan
I'm not saying it needs to be put on Switch necessarily, but not releasing this on the PS4 is a strange decision. Monster Hunter is the only Monster Hunter - like franchise that has worldwide success. Every other MH - like game is basically only successful domestically. In fact, the studio behind this game develops games that are almost exclusively played and enjoyed domestically.

I don't think there are very high hopes for the success for this title. It was announced after a tradeshow and it will be released in like 5 months in February, so after the holidays. No news of a beta/trial either.

YukiOnna

Exclusive Developer Interview with IGN

- Wild Hearts Dev time is 4 years; chose to reveal it when there was as little gap between announcement to release as possible
- Large Zone-based world with open world feel; any point can be explored or reached with Karakuri
- Flexible crafting system called Karakuri; create hunting grounds, combinations, and instant builds for both combat and exploration
- Combat action oriented with on-the-fly crafting. Dashing, Jumping, Sliding, Grappling, etc.
- 3 Player Co-Op
- Next gen only; wanted to stick to new technology to flesh out the detailed fantasy feudal Japan setting and large world
- Partnered with EA for publishing as they aim for global audience
- Still a Japanese game at its core and EA wants that too

EDMIX

too bad it's published by EA we all know they are going to push microtrasactions.
This tired myth? lolz Star Wars Fallen Order released with zero mtx yet folks still spread this shit man.

If it does have anything like that regarding post launch content, that might be based on what Koei wants these types of games have DLC like bosses, new areas like you saw with Monster Hunter World and clearly thats not by EA... So at this point, trying to say this will have mtx, is like trying to argue we get Assassins Creed every year (and I've heard folks try to make that dated claim) , so I think you are merely stuck in a past generation mindset with the publisher regarding how they treat mtx

Its simply something that is less if not completely absent in EA single player titles now days, but folks continue to spread that type of thing.
I'm not saying it needs to be put on Switch necessarily, but not releasing this on the PS4 is a strange decision

I disagree.

They already know the new generation is taking off by the time its development started and their focus is to make the best game off of the best hardware to set them apart, if they made this a cross gen thing, not only would SlimySnake SlimySnake be pissed, it would greatly limit the game and folks would just bitch if it flopped for being too simple based on being held back by last gen tech.

Their goal isn't merely to sell as many units, its also to gain a install base of fans based on the unique design that can only be done exactly like this on new hardware vs old. I believe that is a risk worth taking and they need to move on to the new gen to do their core design. Its a wise move.

That being said, this is quite the surprise. EA Originals always publishes some random stuff, but seems like EA is more open like during the 360/PS3 days to publish this type of stuff. Back during those days they did deals like this like with Shadow Of The Damned (fucking underrated) and it seems they are open to continue that more next gen. Not 100% shocking they'd continue to publish such titles, simply surprising this just came out of no where and a close release date.

I can't say a day 1 just yet, but looks impressive.

EDMIX

Difference is that this game actually exists.

lol yessssssssssss

I hype for what Black Myth might end up being, but we need a release by such a new team or its vaporware. This title has more of a likeliness of actually releasing and being a real thing vs tech demo scam type thing based on being made by reputable developer and known publisher.

Jinzo Prime

Koei Tecmo doing pretty good right now:

Rise of the Ronin
Wild Hearts
Wo Long

Sega's making it happen:
Like a Dragon: Isshin!
Like a Dragon: Gaiden
Like a Dragon: 8
Sonic Frontiers

Capcom is on fire:
Street Fighter 6
Resident Evil 4
Dragon's Dogma 2
Mega Man Battle Network Collection
Exoprimal

Wish Konami and Level 5 would get back up and join the party!

Top Bottom