• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Issues official statement over botched Star Wars: Survivor peformance

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean, I expect nothing from EA. They are fucked up company that needs to die. but Respawn to do be this shady? so nice to kill your reputation with a single release.

They delayed the game a few months because they KNEW it was shit and was not even playable. but to release in this state? fuck off. and fuck the media and every reviewer who gave this game a good review. you are nothing but ball-licking suckers with zero dignity to even call out an obvious bullshit and put these lame-ass devs/ publishers under fire for their shitty game WHEN they deserve it.

The same shit happened with Elden Ring, callisto protocol, Hogwart, the last of us, Gotham retards, etc, " it's a high-profile game, we must start sucking balls so they can give us more exclusive previews and shit " <-- every reviewer
Tlou pc version has a 5.7 on metacritic. That was the one time they grew some balls.

This is not on EA. Respawn asked EA for a 6 week delay. EA asked them if they wanted more, respawn refused. EA gets a bad rep even though they let BioWare have 7 years to make Anthem. 5 years to reboot mass effect andromeda. And constantly remove games from the holiday window to Q1 even though it’sa big no no even for indie publishers like CD project. Sometimes its the devs. Remember, Callisto shipped in a bad state and they were not forced by anything other than their own studio head/director to release the game in December. Stig did the same thing with Star Wars. Druckmann is literally the co-President of naughty dog now. He’s not a programmer or writer or even a director anymore. He runs the studio. He should’ve seen just how bad tlou was. 2 hours to install shaders? He would’ve immediately flagged it if he cared about his product on PC.

theclaw135

Banned
Always. It's exactly why there are people having completely different experiences. Some having perfectly fine experiences (like me and a few other Gaffers) and others that aren't. It's because of the differing PC configs.

It's wild to me how some studios don't put a firm hand on PC testing/QA. Because you absolutely need to give it extra attention due to differences in PC configs alone.

I really don't know with console. I've seen people say it's perfect on XSX, and PS5 with no issues. Others saying there's a ton of problems. Maybe some folks are just jumping on a hate wagon? No clue. I understand differentiation in PC performance, but consoles? Shouldn't be a thing...

It's always pin the blame on the company, when PCs have bajillions of configs no developer could possibly expect.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: amc

//DEVIL//

Tlou pc version has a 5.7 on metacritic. That was the one time they grew some balls.

This is not on EA. Respawn asked EA for a 6 week delay. EA asked them if they wanted more, respawn refused. EA gets a bad rep even though they let BioWare have 7 years to make Anthem. 5 years to reboot mass effect andromeda. And constantly remove games from the holiday window to Q1 even though it’sa big no no even for indie publishers like CD project. Sometimes its the devs. Remember, Callisto shipped in a bad state and they were not forced by anything other than their own studio head/director to release the game in December. Stig did the same thing with Star Wars. Druckmann is literally the co-President of naughty dog now. He’s not a programmer or writer or even a director anymore. He runs the studio. He should’ve seen just how bad tlou was. 2 hours to install shaders? He would’ve immediately flagged it if he cared about his product on PC.
It really doesn't matter who is at fault. publishers or Devs. it's especially worse when it's devs. at least publishers want to work based on a timeline and forecasts. But when Devs are ok to release crap like this, they should be fired. There is no passion to make the game great and run great. more like idiotic robots that want to get anything done before they leave home.

This is what you get when you force-hire diversity and purple-haired idiots. The industry is dying. the senior good developers gave the middle fingers to the studio and publishers a long time ago and left. the studio has nothing but idiots that want to work from home with 4 hours break after 1 hour of work.

I have said it before. the talent is these studios are gone. same reason why MS, with all their studios, can't release a game for 1 year and a half now, and it's an fps at 30 frames that look like a cleaned-up PS3 game.

It's not like Sony is much better, but at least Sony has better quality control/management of their studios as a publisher.

It's always pin the blame on the company, when PCs have bajillions of configs no developer could possibly expect.

when a game hits the 40 frames on a 4090, it's not config. it's a retarded programming. ZERO optimization is done for a 4090 not to able to run this game way above 100 fps.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Only downloaded it last night on series x , what’s the issues like on there? Should I wait a week or two to play it?

GymWolf

Then maybe they should avoid the release on pc alltogether if they are not capable.

But they are greedy fucks so they don't care about releasing in a shitty state.

And the thing gets even more hilarious when you consider that fucking dumbduster and a small russian studio made 2 big, great looking games that runs great everywhere (atomic heart and di2).

How can 2 small ass studios do better than triple A Developers if like you say it is impossible to take into account all the pc configurations out there?

I mean, it's not like EVERY game that comes out on pc is broken, so where is the difference, the large amount of possible config should be a problem for every dev, and yet...

Last edited:

Captn

Then maybe they should avoid the release on pc alltogether if they are not capable.

But they are greedy fucks so they don't care about releasing in a shitty state.

And the thing gets even more hilarious when you consider that fucking dumbduster and a small russian studio made 2 big, grewt looking game that runs great everywhere (atomic heart and di2).

How can 2 small ass studios do better than triple A Developers if like you say it is impossible to take into account all the pc configurations out there?

I mean, it's not like EVERY game that comes out on pc is broken, so where is the difference, the large amount of possibpe config should be a problem for every dev.

Share holders / Publishers don't give a rats ass about the state of any game. Greedy mofos indeed.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's Monday, and it has just started raining.

This is what you get when you force-hire diversity and purple-haired idiots.

It's Tuesday and a drink has been spilled.

This is what you get when you force-hire diversity and purple-haired idiots

It's Wednesday and the local store has run out of eggs.

This is what you get when you force-hire diversity and purple-haired idiots

It's Thursday...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yah reading that Pissed me Off. I was like who is funding this Microsoft?
L9dpTlJ.png

Considering we have also issues on consoles there is an amount of game being rushed “release and patch later” or continuous delivery as they say ;) (I jest).

There is also a challenge in making high performance games on these platforms with the kind of CPU * GPU * Drivers * OS versions * Motherboard drivers and HW variety you need to target and test with every change you make. MS is probably laughing sure but thinking “so you blamed me for DX being too high level and abstracted and thus slow? How do you like DX12 and Vulkan now btw? It is just what you need on PC’s unless you want to raise development and support costs yourself”.

While I may say f-u to some greedy publishers I do have empathy for the actual devs and QA’s working in these situation and trying to make AAAA multiplatform releases in this environment. The more you try to walk a mile in their shoes the more you see the “mythical scalability with modern engines solving all problems” thing is not quite the truth… it is:
The Big Lebowski Walter GIF

Last edited:

Neff

Blame the developers not the platform

Nah I'll blame the platform. It's exactly stuff like this which got me to retire from PC gaming.

In lieu of pixel counting and framerate dick-waving, I get a version of the game which is at least typically prioritised by the developer, as opposed to an incomplete body of code thrown out as an afterthought for the community to fix, because they can and will.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nah I'll blame the platform. It's exactly stuff like this which got me to retire from PC gaming.

In lieu of pixel counting and framerate dick-waving, I get a version of the game which is at least typically prioritised by the developer, as opposed to an incomplete body of code thrown out as an afterthought for the community to fix, because they can and will.
In a lot of careless they do too, sometimes on consoles… I still dislike profiles a bit, but some games seems to just leave optimisation to players (here are all the knobs, find a combination that works on your machine… reality of the platform, every thing has upsides and downsides).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I get a version of the game which is at least typically prioritised by the developer, as opposed to an incomplete body of code thrown out as an afterthought for the community to fix, because they can and will.
this statement is literally saying that it's the dev's fault for not prioritizing PC enough and prioritizing consoles instead... (which i also consider an issue of devs shifting priority to consoles intead of PC over the last 17 years)

No matter which way you can sway this, it always comes back to the DEV and not the plaform. this shit so many developers are struggling with NOW used to be easy as shit to optimize just 5 years ago

Last edited:

NekoFever

Imagine they could've

- Delayed the game to May 4th to gain extra "meme" impact.
- Release it in a better state. (even if not perfect, this is just shameful)

But nope, EA gonna EA.
Remember, they did delay it, not long before the original launch date, which isn’t something that’s done lightly (or cheaply). Imagine how bad it was then if this is the version they were happy to put out.

It’s not the PC that’s the problem, it’s not spending enough time optimising it for hardware. It’s part of games development and it’s been that way for decades. There are still plenty of PC games that release in a good state.

Last edited:

MikeM

Do you also blame cars when you drive badly?

It’s not the PC that’s the problem, it’s not spending enough time optimising it for hardware. It’s part of games development and it’s been that way for decades. There are still plenty of PC games that release in a good state.
What kind of 💩 analogy is this? lol

digdug2

Sure, but all PS5s have the same baseline configurations. So do all of the Xbox Series Xs out there. Yet, every single version of Jedi Survivor runs like a bag of smashed assholes. Sounds like a development issue to me.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Its funny to see some people dismiss a platform entirely just because of few bad apples, while completely ignore all the benefit PC gaming provides.
Wait until a bad apple broke one of your teeth, and then we will see your opinion😈
Some people are accoustumed to bugs each time they play on PC. Some don't care and some have the knowledge to fix it on their own. I mostly play indies like FTL, binding of isaac... on my pc. It may change in the future but with Nvidia being so greedy I won't buy something better than the PS5 until they got it under control somehow. But yes, there is no need to generalise.

Captn

In a lot of careless they do too, sometimes on consoles… I still dislike profiles a bit, but some games seems to just leave optimisation to players (here are all the knobs, find a combination that works on your machine… reality of the platform, every thing has upsides and downsides).
The simple answer to all issues we're talking about surrounding videogames and to a certain extent in the entertainment domain is the share holders / publishers.

Time is money(root of all evil in this world) for them and most of them do not care at all about the content or quality of said entertainment.

All they want is the s*** to come out and fast! No matter what it is.

But some do care hense delays and all to again a certain extent.

Now, as for PC Devs. Imagine every dev having this luxury : Major extra money and time to buy / build a pc with every inimaginable possible hardware config.

Meaning every cpu type/companies. Every ram kits type / companies. Every gpu model / companies... You get the drift..

Now 1 pc for every config using the above.

Impossible right? Now all the time in the world to test every single hardware config.

Every game would take 10 years to make / optimize / test before release just to make sure everything is sailing smoothly for everyone.

Again impossible.

I'm 48 years old and been doing pc since I'm 10 years old.

Always been dedicated to pc and especially for gaming.

Actually made it my living today. IT company monitoring servers and doing security.

So yeah like many of you, I'm used to fiddle with bugs and trying to find work arounds and whatnot that usually ends up giving me a better experience or qol in games.

I can understand that this is not for everyone and that's why console exists.

But it's a reality for us pc gamers or pc users in general.

So yeah we can blame all we want and that's not to say that there's not incompetence in the business cause there's plenty. But that's what it is just like other types of entertainment.

But I'll stay firm, in my opinion, the main reason for everything in entertainment or even anything else in life is whom holds the moneys of this world decides what "they" are intitled to have and do not care an once about us the "poor" people.

That's reality!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

You really think devs have to think about the bazillion of configs?

One API

That’s it. API is vendor agnostic and support goes way back for GPUs

Seems like they didn’t even manage to make it run correctly on 2 fixed platforms (consoles), and that someone over at respawn has no clue about multithreading. Probably an intern..

SlimySnake

You really think devs have to think about the bazillion of configs?

One API

That’s it. API is vendor agnostic and support goes way back for GPUs

Seems like they didn’t even manage to make it run correctly on 2 fixed platforms (consoles), and that someone over at respawn has no clue about multithreading. Probably an intern..
My friend is playing the ps5 version in the 30 fps quality mode and said the drops in the open world felt like sub 20 fps drops. He said he can’t switch to the performance mode because that itself drops to 30 fps and looks so blurry it might as well be a switch game.

I’m playing at native 1440p and it is a very smudgy looking game. I can’t imagine what the ps5 performance mode that runs at an internal resolution of 960p looks like.

MiguelItUp

PCs do, but it's pretty apparent that some studios haven't gone the route of third parties and otherwise for PC testing. Not necessarily pinning the blame on them, or on anyone for that matter, at least I didn't intend to. I just more so wanted to say that PC testing requires more hands/attention because the sheer amount of different configs, and I'd like to think that every studio is aware of that and does that as much as they can. Because we've had several outcomes thus far that look like it's been otherwise.

If the small studios I worked for were able to do that, surely any large AAA or adjacent one can...

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Another PS5 lead development game by the looks of it. Then once that is done, a hasty port to DX12 for Xbox and PC, and out the fucking door it goes.

PS5?

The game was sponsored by AMD, it's one of a handful of "AMD partnered" games. That's why the PC game only has FRS support and no support for Nvidia's DLSS. If you buy a new Ryzen 7 CPU you get the game for free.

TVexperto

I totally get what you mean about games these days being more about fancy graphics than actually playing well. It's so frustrating when you just want to jump into a game and enjoy it, but instead you have to spend hours messing with settings just to get it to run smoothly. That's why it's awesome to hear that Dead Island 2 is running so well without any of those issues. It's nice to see a game that's focused on giving players a fun and smooth experience rather than just trying to show off with fancy tech. Kudos to the team behind Dead Island 2 for delivering a game that actually just works!

Last edited:

Salty Pickle

Neo Member
My friend is playing the ps5 version in the 30 fps quality mode and said the drops in the open world felt like sub 20 fps drops. He said he can’t switch to the performance mode because that itself drops to 30 fps and looks so blurry it might as well be a switch game.

I’m playing at native 1440p and it is a very smudgy looking game. I can’t imagine what the ps5 performance mode that runs at an internal resolution of 960p looks like.
This hyperbole is something else. No it’s not perfect but definately not as bad as what you wrote.

SlimySnake

It really doesn't matter who is at fault. publishers or Devs. it's especially worse when it's devs. at least publishers want to work based on a timeline and forecasts. But when Devs are ok to release crap like this, they should be fired. There is no passion to make the game great and run great. more like idiotic robots that want to get anything done before they leave home.

This is what you get when you force-hire diversity and purple-haired idiots. The industry is dying. the senior good developers gave the middle fingers to the studio and publishers a long time ago and left. the studio has nothing but idiots that want to work from home with 4 hours break after 1 hour of work.

I have said it before. the talent is these studios are gone. same reason why MS, with all their studios, can't release a game for 1 year and a half now, and it's an fps at 30 frames that look like a cleaned-up PS3 game.

It's not like Sony is much better, but at least Sony has better quality control/management of their studios as a publisher.

when a game hits the 40 frames on a 4090, it's not config. it's a retarded programming. ZERO optimization is done for a 4090 not to able to run this game way above 100 fps.
Yeah, the talent drain is real for sure. I just saw you say you expect nothing from EA and felt it was a bit unfair given they offered to release the game. We have this really bad habit on forums to suppress any lazy dev rhetoric (Era banned the guy who created the PC performance thread for Jedi Suvivor because he called it a lazy port) but allow all blame to be put on publishers who often times delay games for a year. I mean Redfall is coming in hot and Microsoft already delayed it by a year. At some point, we have to hold devs accountable.

And its definitely because of their hiring practices. I was looking at From releasing an absolutely incredible looking Armored Core game just a year and a half after Elden Rings and it makes no sense. Since 2015, they have released BB, DS3, Sekiro, Elden Ring and now Armored Core. thats 5 games in 10 years. Western devs like Rockstar, GG, SSM, and Bethesda take 10 years to release 2 games.

Neff

this statement is literally saying that it's the dev's fault for not prioritizing PC enough and prioritizing consoles instead

The developer isn't at 'fault'. It's simply a matter of practicality and business. They have a finite amount of time and money, so they prioritise efforts for platforms which are going to ensure the most stable product for the most players, ie consoles. Optimising a massively complex AAA game for one platform alone is difficult, it's frankly amazing that they manage to do the same for your unique combination of PC components, when they actually do it.

Do you also blame cars when you drive badly?

What a dumb fucking analogy.

Fredrik

"We are aware the game isn't performing well".....

"But we'll release the game anyway. Thanks you for waiting for a patch suckers!"
Yeah this needs to stop. Imagine 20 years from now when all servers are turned off and you want to have a nice retro evening and all you get if you can even start a game is a broken launch version.

Nydius

Only downloaded it last night on series x , what’s the issues like on there? Should I wait a week or two to play it?
From what I’ve seen in testing and streaming gameplay, quality mode seems to play fine at a near consistent 30fps with the only stutters being during brief loads or transition spaces.

But performance mode is awful. Lower resolution that looks blurry more often than not, unstable frame rates that bounce between 39-55 fps, lots of stuttering and screen tearing.

If you don’t mind 30fps, quality mode appears to be decently playable but if you were hoping for a 60fps or higher performance mode, your best bet is to wait for some patches and hope they get their mess together.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

This only re-confirms my personal opinion against Schreier - Like Jeff Grub the dude's just in it for the money and literally has no actual knowledge of what he says.

But i know he is praised widely so this take is controversial, but i am just saying.

Digital Foundry literally just ran a piece on this game's atrocious performance but our boy Schreier here says it runs fine.

Maybe he should add that it runs fine on HIS rig and just like his entire carreer that isn't representative of the status quo.

iQuasarLV

So ...you just don't want to hear people complaining. Got it. Because you know someone can implement that solution and still complain. Not complaining is fine, but why do you care if people do when it's a logical push back against an obvious problem in the industry?
Hmm, perhaps you sound and look like this meme every time you do it perhaps.
14x59548xuwa1.jpg

//DEVIL//

Yeah, the talent drain is real for sure. I just saw you say you expect nothing from EA and felt it was a bit unfair given they offered to release the game. We have this really bad habit on forums to suppress any lazy dev rhetoric (Era banned the guy who created the PC performance thread for Jedi Suvivor because he called it a lazy port) but allow all blame to be put on publishers who often times delay games for a year. I mean Redfall is coming in hot and Microsoft already delayed it by a year. At some point, we have to hold devs accountable.

And its definitely because of their hiring practices. I was looking at From releasing an absolutely incredible looking Armored Core game just a year and a half after Elden Rings and it makes no sense. Since 2015, they have released BB, DS3, Sekiro, Elden Ring and now Armored Core. thats 5 games in 10 years. Western devs like Rockstar, GG, SSM, and Bethesda take 10 years to release 2 games.
Well, we kinda know Era like to suck ***** so it's normal they want to please any shitty dev or journalist that lurks on that disgusting site.

Last edited:
Top Bottom