• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA maintains exclusive Madden NFL license

Cleared_Hot

Article

"Electronic Arts’ Madden NFL series will remain the only game in town for a while longer, when it comes to simulation football video games. The company announced Thursday that it has agreed to “multi-year” renewals of its exclusive licensing agreements with the NFL and NFL Players Association, shutting the door on the possibility that the league would open up the simulation license for other game publishers to enter the fray."

Bummer, I want competition!! But now we must wait till 2026 :(

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Remember when Madden releases were a big thing? Maybe they still are in some circles but it feels like the general press doesn't really care as much anymore.
All that matters are sales. And Madden has dominated the charts for twenty years straight.

Knightime_X

Really wish NFL itself can't be exclusively licensed to a single company.
Let there be a Madden NFL, an NFL Blitz 2020 and any other NFL game someone can imagine.

Madden being the only option for NFL is just rotten titties.

Moogle11

Banned
Remember when Madden releases were a big thing? Maybe they still are in some circles but it feels like the general press doesn't really care as much anymore.

Gaming sites and magazines are mostly consumed by the hardcore gamers who even if they like Madden, FIFA etc don’t spend as much time reading about or discussing those games.

This games sell gangbusters and change little year to year so there’s little for the press to cover. Same way they don’t spend much time covering Fortnite, CoD, GTA Online and other game’s that dominate play time/active users and revenue earned lists.

The majority of people reading articles and posting on forums are interested in single player games. A lot of people playing those huge selling games really only play those kind of things and don’t care much about previews l, reviews etc as they’re always buying the next Madden or CoD to play with friends. So there’s just little reason for the gaming press to spend much time on them.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
EA got lazy and only does small improvements. Ultimate team is the ultimate money making ripoff.

TexMex

Did you look at NBA2K recently? It's a microtransaction nightmare. 2K has lost it.

Micro transactions exist but I don't feel like they ruined the game. The core basketball is still really good. That's just where we're at, to a point of accepting micro transactions or just not buying sports games. EA Sports games have plenty of them too. Anyone making football games is going to have micro transactions, so with that in mind I'd still rather have the better core gameplay.

and yet here I am patiently waiting until my last day on earth

Odor00Y.jpg

Every year when Madden comes out sports shows on ESPN and FOX do talk about the games player ratings, mainly because certain players would be mad about their low rating. I would say it’s still a big thing. Which is why the NFL lets EA have this exclusive deal.

Caffeine

I thought 2K announced it was coming back to football?
I think there is still room for ncaa. some kind of ncaa rules change for deals for players including cars/games goes into effect january 2021.
there used to be ncaa 2k games. this rule change also affects ncaa basketball.

Last edited:
Everyone seem unhappy about this, but still everyone buy the game. So it will stay the same.

I haven't bought an iteration in at least 8 years now. Ever since they got the sole rights to eliminate the competition (2k) they have done the absolute least to push the game farther. I was still buying them initially, but I got sick giving them money for broken games. I will never buy a Madden game again (which I guess means I'll never play an NFL video game again sadly).

Last edited:

Moneal

Of course the NFL renewed. They love their exclusive deals, and Madden still gets enough in revenue. MUT made it so even if the sales crater the whales would keep them profitable. At this point it isn't EA's fault the games come out with little to no innovation. People still buy the shit. Why would the NFL do anything differently with a steady passive income stream.

I love sports and sports gaming, but the last Madden I bought was Madden '09 on Ps3. If I'm going to play Madden I'd rather go back to PS2 era games. I think they were legitimately better then.

I'd much rather play NFL 2K20 (2K5 with updated rosters) or 2K5 itself. What I'm really excited for though is Out of the Park Developments collaboration with Front Office Football's creator - if they ever finish the dang thing.

I thought 2K announced it was coming back to football?

That's for "non-simulation football". Like what EA does with Madden is a "simulation." lmao

ShoddyDelectableBufflehead-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Arkam

Since I know probably half the Madden dev team personally..... I am not ok with this. They are waaay too close to the forest to see the trees at this point. Many have been at EA Tiburon their entire career. They NEED competition. I was really hoping that the rumored new 2k studio in Lake Mary was true. Was supposed to be for poaching madden devs for a competing NFL game. Oh well, at least I hope teh terms are better and it does not require them to make more filler games (HeadCoach, Street, Arena Football, etc).

DaGwaphics

Competition is a good thing. The NFL should have just started charging a higher royalty per game sold, that would have given them the money they want and blocked ultra cheap games, but also allowed competition.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I love sports and sports gaming, but the last Madden I bought was Madden '09 on Ps3. If I'm going to play Madden I'd rather go back to PS2 era games. I think they were legitimately better then.

I'd much rather play NFL 2K20 (2K5 with updated rosters) or 2K5 itself. What I'm really excited for though is Out of the Park Developments collaboration with Front Office Football's creator - if they ever finish the dang thing.

Agreed. Madden use to have so many more features.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Foregone conclusion. There's only one game per sport now, except for soccer where Konami maintains a rearguard action.

TexMex

yeah, no. 2k mtx practices are even worst that EA ones.

If a new NFL2K had a zillion micro transactions, and the new Madden had zero, but 2K has better gameplay - it wouldn't matter to me at all. Just don't buy them.

I can't begrudge someone for voting with their wallet that's for sure if people are that morally opposed, go for it. Just saying I personally don't care. The worst NFL2K game I played is better than the best Madden, so I'd be all over it.

Moneal

Has anyone ever made a NFL game that is fun to play on defense?
Madden 06, when vision cone was implemented. It was much more fair to defenders. Everyone I know hated it though. I got pretty good at looking off guys that I played that controlled a roaming safety.

Oh well, who's going to invest in it now besides them anyway? 2K isn't what they used to be, they'd probably charge extra for every coach and cheerleader on the sidelines lol I used to love the 2K football games but they were very arcade like and easy compared to madden, I could run 300 yards a game with Phillip Rivers lol.

Top Bottom