• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA planning to publish 14 games next fiscal year

EA just gave its investors a rough outline of what to expect from its release slate beginning in April of 2020, and it looks to be a bulkier release year than this last one has been.

In the current fiscal year (which for EA, ends in March), the publisher launched only seven titles, with a planned eighth in NBA Live indefinitely delayed and nothing more planned for the final quarter. But during its Q3 earnings call, COO and CFO Blake Jorgensen announced EA's plans to publish a total of fourteen games in the coming fiscal year, ten of which appear to be internally developed.

Four of those titles will be sports titles, with both FIFA and Madden already confirmed as two of the four. And EA has already tipped its hand slightly as to the remaining two, though its total count of titles is a bit off. During its last earnings call for Q2, the publisher suggested NHL would retain its place as a regular sports title, but it also said that it would be adding at least one more sports title to its annual slate. Jorgensen and Wilson also indicated EA would offer more details on the return of NBA Live in the coming year, though it's not clear if that means a release, or just an update on the IP.

The next four titles will "draw from the breadth of EA's IP," and here's where things get fuzzy. Again going back to that Q2 earnings call, EA said then it would have "exciting remasters of fan favorites, including the Command and Conquer game we've already disclosed," and there's also that Medal of Honor VR game that's already been announced. EA has also said it has projects in the works at Motive, DICE, Bioware, and Criterion, though it's unclear which of these, if any, is part of the four Jorgensen was referring to.

To round out the EA-developed roster, the publisher is also bringing out two mobile titles in soft launch next fiscal year.

Finally, the remaining four EA-published games will be from "smaller developers," which is up from the previously-promised two mentioned in the Q2 earnings.

And all of that is aside from EA's promised releases of a new Battlefield (reiterated again today), Dragon Age, and Star Wars (mentioned in the Q2 earnings) by the end of FY22.

All of this is part of what Jorgensen described on the call as a "broad-based model" intended to keep the publisher from relying on any one title, decreasing the risk if one of the games sells below expectations.

Texas Pride

Banned
Are we getting a BF game this year? Not having a modern shooter since 2013 isn't helping their profits in COD MW's shadow I'm sure.

Phase

We've finally gotten to the point where companies are just going to start re-releasing successful products from 20 years ago and go right down the list for 20 years. What's more risk averse than releasing games that have already succeeded?

Last edited:
Dragon Age, Battlefield, Madden, Fifa, UFC, Mass Effect remastered collection, Star Wars Battlefront 3, NHL, Medal of Honor, Command and Conquer and new IPs? 🤔

Basewd on developer info, work barely started on the new Dragon Age. Battlefield comes out once in 2 years and BF5 just came out in October last year. Mass Effect could be a possibility.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well good, because my EA access is for zero fucking nothing for past year or so. I have to even buy Fallen Disorder....

I would go for an new iteration of the TW series. The only thing on the market right is sim based, which i always enjoy, but a return of some arcade type big budget golf game i think would do really well at this time.

Tomma19

Neo Member
I really hope that 4th sports title is not actually a "new" title but a return of a former series into the yearly releases.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Praying an SSX reboot is one of them.

Imagine that glorious next-gen snow

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

But seriously though, mass effect remastered HAS to be next, right?

Like, I legit don't understand how we never got that this entire generation.

But seriously though, mass effect remastered HAS to be next, right?

Like, I legit don't understand how we never got that this entire generation.

A little res and frame rate bump doesnt provide really anything to the exp. In some cases it diminishes the product and name. i will use Bioshock as an example, the remaster did nothing except resurrect the name. I would have preferred it stay dormie for longer so when you hear the name again, a yr or 2 later, it will be for the next itteration. Unless they are actual remakes ala RE2 im done with basic modded old game releases.

Mikey Jr.

A little res and frame rate bump doesnt provide really anything to the exp. In some cases it diminishes the product and name. i will use Bioshock as an example, the remaster did nothing except resurrect the name. I would have preferred it stay dormie for longer so when you hear the name again, a yr or 2 later, it will be for the next itteration. Unless they are actual remakes ala RE2 im done with basic modded old game releases.

Ehhh, res/60 fps, all 3 games plus all dlc for PS4?

Sounds good to me. I'd love to play through them all again.

Holammer

Re-releasing a lot of formerly Origin exclusive PC games on Steam will generate a bit of cash too.
Still waiting for a Steam release for Titanfall 2.

Madden 2021
NCAA 2021
NBA Live 2021
NBA College 2021
Fight Night Returns Round 7
NHL 2021
Fifa 2021
Nascar 2021
Ned for Sped
Battlefield 6
Apex Expansion
Sims 5
Anthem Fixed Edition
Plans Vs. Zombies 4.

There you go, 14 games.

Phase

Madden 2021
NCAA 2021
NBA Live 2021
NBA College 2021
NHL 2021
Fifa 2021
Nascar 2021
Ned for Sped
Battlefield 6
Apex Expansion
Sims 5
Anthem Fixed Edition
Plans Vs. Zombies 4.

There you go, 14 games.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Madden 2021
NCAA 2021
NBA Live 2021
NBA College 2021
NHL 2021
Fifa 2021
Nascar 2021
Ned for Sped
Battlefield 6
Apex Expansion
Sims 5
Anthem Fixed Edition
Plans Vs. Zombies 4.

There you go, 14 games.

Change Sims 5, Anthem Fixed Edition and PvZ 4 with some random indie title they publish under their label and that's pretty much what this is all about.

Essentially a more of the same, which isn't interesting for me personally.

But hey, maybe they'll surprise us and be good again (i doubt it)

Last edited by a moderator:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
EA just gave its investors a rough outline of what to expect from its release slate beginning in April of 2020, and it looks to be a bulkier release year than this last one has been.

In the current fiscal year (which for EA, ends in March), the publisher launched only seven titles, with a planned eighth in NBA Live indefinitely delayed and nothing more planned for the final quarter. But during its Q3 earnings call, COO and CFO Blake Jorgensen announced EA's plans to publish a total of fourteen games in the coming fiscal year, ten of which appear to be internally developed.

Four of those titles will be sports titles, with both FIFA and Madden already confirmed as two of the four. And EA has already tipped its hand slightly as to the remaining two, though its total count of titles is a bit off. During its last earnings call for Q2, the publisher suggested NHL would retain its place as a regular sports title, but it also said that it would be adding at least one more sports title to its annual slate. Jorgensen and Wilson also indicated EA would offer more details on the return of NBA Live in the coming year, though it's not clear if that means a release, or just an update on the IP.

The next four titles will "draw from the breadth of EA's IP," and here's where things get fuzzy. Again going back to that Q2 earnings call, EA said then it would have "exciting remasters of fan favorites, including the Command and Conquer game we've already disclosed," and there's also that Medal of Honor VR game that's already been announced. EA has also said it has projects in the works at Motive, DICE, Bioware, and Criterion, though it's unclear which of these, if any, is part of the four Jorgensen was referring to.

To round out the EA-developed roster, the publisher is also bringing out two mobile titles in soft launch next fiscal year.

Finally, the remaining four EA-published games will be from "smaller developers," which is up from the previously-promised two mentioned in the Q2 earnings.

And all of that is aside from EA's promised releases of a new Battlefield (reiterated again today), Dragon Age, and Star Wars (mentioned in the Q2 earnings) by the end of FY22.

All of this is part of what Jorgensen described on the call as a "broad-based model" intended to keep the publisher from relying on any one title, decreasing the risk if one of the games sells below expectations.

To be fair, 99% of this is moot..

I'd be shocked if they didn't do any of that, most of what they've told them is what they've already revealed anyway. We know Dragon Age is being made, we know Battlefront 3 will likely release before Battlefield 6, thus BF6 would be in that FY22 etc.

In terms of the remasters....who knows. I'd guess Dead Space collection and Mass Effect collection.

Hobbygaming Hobbygaming Agreed! A very, very solid prediction. EA did state that they wanted an open world game and their issues regarding Single player titles was actually more so about "linear" single player titles, so something tells me they either want more larger interesting worlds ala Star War Fallen Order Metroidvana or they have a more traditional open world game in mind.

So if that is currently being made for next gen, I think its very likely not to release next year, but likely the following.

Texas Pride Texas Pride That has next to nothing to do with sales. BF1 moved like 16 million (selling MORE then BF4) so....we can throw that theory out the window. Keep in mind, it sold that and still didn't outsell Call Of Duty, they are different markets. I'm not even sure how asking it to go back to the very title that DIDN'T OUTSELL CALL OF DUTY would suddenly result in it doing Call Of Duty numbers.... BF1 didn't even do Call Of Duty numbers and its one of the best selling BFs in the series history.

So I think they can go modern and be ok, go Vietnam and be ok, go futuristic ala 2143 and be ok. I don't see them doing Call Of Duty numbers though, that isn't an argument about setting, that is simply BF regardless of setting doesn't outsell Call Of Duty. Different markets.

MAtgS MAtgS looking at how poorly Doom, Skyrim, LA Noire and many more sold, I don't see EA spending much energy on Switch. Other publishers have answered if a market is viable for them already. Its why you don't see Ubisoft trying to get all their games on Switch. They tried that with Wii U, didn't sell, they moved on and only do limited releases or streaming etc. So EA has very little reason to try what others have tried if the market just doesn't exist for reasonable returns. I think they are correct to skip it. Its not stopping EA from being in the top 5 biggest earners yearly.

Last edited:

GymWolf

UFC 4 on pc, cmon ea.
Or even better, give me a fucking fight night boxe game.

Boxe right now is in a good place, be smart ea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom