• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Q3 FY13 Results: FIFA hits 12M, Battlefield Premium 2.9M, Simpsons iOS $23M Rev

RoKKeR

New BF info soon, nice.

I'm glad to see MoH dropped. It wasn't going anywhere and needed to die. I still think it's funny that they see MoH's review scores as "undeserved". The game was bad, it deserved the scores it got.

I can't imagine them annualizing Battlefield, but rather a trade off between BF and Respawn's FPS. But then again there is Danger Close to consider. There are a lot of talented people there who were simply trapped by a bad franchise, so hopefully they get to do something else. Like others have said, BC3 as like a summer hit or something could be absolutely huge.

Love it or hate it, EA is in a good spot for next gen. They have two of the biggest franchises in the world getting even bigger by the year, and the new consoles should (hopefully) bring in some new IP's and big hits.

Also, un-juniored! That didn't take long.

jcm

Webcast just finished.

You're a trooper. Thanks for the transcription.

New BF info soon, nice.

I'm glad to see MoH dropped. It wasn't going anywhere and needed to die. I still think it's funny that they see MoH's review scores as "undeserved". The game was bad, it deserved the scores it got.

I thought they were acknowledging that here:

Q: Medal of Honor: what drove performance, what steps can you take to prevent a repeat, comment on YOY continuity of FPS titles.
A: In a hit driven business, about what you can build, we missed on MOH and take responsibility. We released 11 games scoring 80+, delivered 90% titles on time. MOH overshadows this, but we're proud of our teams overall. As for shooters, Battlefield is coming.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I like how their Origin numbers are completely devoid of actual sales data and is only registered users.

Those FIFA numbers are insane.

Football really is America's new national pastime.

(and evidently a lot of people are having their XBLA accounts hacked)

lol not even close. Still far below even hockey in pro popularity. FIFA is a fun game though, I like it even though I have no interest in following soccer.

DTKT

Literally nothing about SWTOR? Nothing about the F2P switch, how it's performing, the subscription rate and the micro-transactions?

There are a lot of talented people there who were simply trapped by a bad franchise, so hopefully they get to do something else.

Not to be too pedantic, but there is nothing wrong with the MOH franchise. They weren't trapped by it... in fact, it was their lack of quality that brought it to where it is today. With a record of 2 mediocre games in a row, you should be worried about whether they will pull the Bad Company franchise down into the mud too (if that is what they're making now).

iMax

To avoid any confusion, I've just re-transcribed the Wii U quote from a recording of the investor call. Here it is in full:

Electronic Arts said:
Q: I know Nintendo came out today and was a little bit more cautious with their outlook for Wii U sales, doesn't sound like this is a platform you guys are really pursuing aggressively on. What does this really say about the consumers' willingness to adopt the next-gen consoles — we should have something new from Sony and Microsoft, so what does that say with Nintendo going through the early struggles on the Wii U?

A: So, couple of things. First, you never count Nintendo out. They've got some of the best IPs in the game industry, when their marquee titles show up, that's when you usually see the bounce. I'm deeply respectful of the achievements they've had over the last several years, and so yeah, never really count them out.

Having said that, I wouldn't say that we see much correlation between the results that Nintendo have just shown with the console debut of the Wii U and what we see coming. We see a pretty sharp distinction and unfortunately I'm unable to go any further than that.

Ours is an industry where a lot of devices come in and represent themselves as the next generation or the next generation after that. You know in many ways, we would argue that the gen— what we're describing as "Gen 4", is yet to come — and it's that we're excited about, and that's what we're investing in, and frankly we've been quite consistent with that for some time, recognising the frustration our inability to articulate precisely why, causes for you.

Derrick01

Banned
I like how their Origin numbers are completely devoid of actual sales data and is only registered users.

Half are mobile too, that they likely force people to sign up for to play their shitty ios games.

I guess they couldn't find a way to lie stretch the sales data.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Q: You're facing headwind following late state of console cycle, a lot is out of your control at the moment, people are expecting well selling new consoles. If new consoles are not competitive, what is your 'Plan B'? Does it involve other platforms that are gaining penetration? Are you preparing for this?
A: The data on game usage is clear. We have added gamers to the universe of paying game customers. There is no slowdown. Substantial digital growth — 37% growth in last 12 months. Digital is a valuable part of our business. Driven by a great talent base. We have great talent and a great business. We know exactly what's coming and we know more than what's disclosed to consumers and investors. Plan A: explode with opportunities we see on console. We have high confidence.

i.e. we have no Plan B.

Q: Mid-core genre for Mobile. Where you guys at?
A: Real Racing is coming, other titles planned going forward. Big believers in audience.

nice

zugzug

in a call like this where a game is so old do we get any information on Ultima Online and warhammer online. Are we talking like 20k for UO and 10k or lower for Warhammer online? or 50k for UO to keep Fairfax offices open to remain profitable and viable?

How do we find that info just for curious sake, I haven't been subbed to UO in 6 years and WAR since release.

Top Bottom