• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA restricts FIFA and Madden next-gen upgrades to their special editions, FIFA upgrade limited solely to $99.99 digital-only Ultimate Edition

EA has made changes to their Dual Entitlement program, and has restricted free next-gen upgrades for FIFA 22 and Madden NFL 22 to players who purchase the more expensive special editions of the games.

Dual Entitlement is an EA initiative that was introduced last year with the likes of FIFA 21 and Madden NFL 21, which allows players to upgrade to the next gen version of the game at no additional cost.

For FIFA 22 however, the next-gen upgrade is only available to those who buy the £89.99 Ultimate Edition, according to the game’s website. Those who purchase the £59.99 standard edition on last-gen consoles will need to pay an additional £69.99 to receive the next-gen version of the game.

This marks a departure from their strategy last year, when Dual Entitlement meant that both copies of the game were available in both the standard and ultimate editions.

EA is also facing backlash following its decision to make the PC version of FIFA 22 the last-gen version of the game. The next-gen version of FIFA 22 features “HyperMotion” gameplay, a combination of machine learning with 11v11 motion capture which is designed to improve players’ movement during a match.

With the announcement that this feature will be unavailable to PC players, fans have taken to Reddit to complain, as they often do. However, this was the same situation with FIFA 21, which was released on PC without the next-gen features in order to keep the game’s minimum specifications as low as possible.

Last edited:
Just when i was thinking Sony was starting to take the crown for shitty money grabs along come EA and obliterates the field in one fell swoop

Wipeout GIF

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
If you're a FUT player this isn't actually a bad deal.

$100 ultimate version
10% off from in game fifa 21
10% off from ea play (if you're a sub, if you're not you can sub for $5 for a month and cancel, still nets you extra $5 off)

The bundle includes $40 worth of In game currency, so essentially you'll be paying $80 for both versions of the game and $40 worth of in game currency + some other perks, but they are all related to FUT.

For me (and only me) it's a decent deal as I intend to play this game on both last and current gen.

If you've moved to next gen then you can just get the next gen version. If you don't play FUT then just buy whatever is cheaper.

Kdad

All i could think of was...fuck you haha.

Poor EA...i fucking miss the days of Archon and One on One.

Last edited:
same thing NBA 2K did last year, not really a surprise that EA followed suit

they'll be in EA Play but only trials until after the seasons end so ~8-9 months after release usually I believe?
Guess I'll be playing yester-year's versions if I ever get the itch to play something other than MLB The Show. I was actually considering buying FIFA this year too.

There was a thread in here the other day that sports games should be live service and f2p.😂
I think ea saw that thread and felt disrespected so pc guys get the ultimate middle finger with the last gen version and the next gen gang pays 100 dollar

Banned
EA never learn do they.

oh they learned very well. they know Fifa and Madden fans are dumb enough to buy this shit every year, buy new lootboxes with new player cards every year which will only be relevant for a year until the next version comes out which completely wipes the slate clean for new lootboxes and player cards!

if you really think those customers, the dumbest of the fucking blind sheep out there, would care about this shit, then you have way too much faith in humanity 🙃

those people usually don't even read stull like this online, they don't really hang around forums, they just buy the new shiny box with the golden text that says SPECIAL EDITION, PREMIUM EDITION etc. and call it a day

Last edited:

Reallink

Sportsball fans are to sportsball games as weebs are to waifu gatchas--dumbasses who will buy anything at any price. You'll not garner any sympathy bitching every year about having to pay $60 for stat/roster updates while continuing to pay $60 every year in record numbers. You've made your bed of Nike apparel and $500 sneakers, now sleep in it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Meh. Just pay $70 for the next gen sku. This only applies to people who paid $60 for the last gen version.

Still shitty but the simple solution is to just but the next gen sku.

supernova8

Banned
Gamers go on reddit to complain.... and then buy it anyway. That's the problem. I stopped buying it years ago.

In fact, sitting it out for a year or two and then getting the two-year old title pre-owned works well. Usually you can get it for like $5 and the gameplay is perfectly good (because you're not having bother with the tiny annual "changes", you can just enjoy the game for what it is, and the low price means you cannot really lose). Online is a bit of a barren wasteland but you can get the occasional match.

Last edited:

SCB3

If you're a FUT player this isn't actually a bad deal.

$100 ultimate version
10% off from in game fifa 21
10% off from ea play (if you're a sub, if you're not you can sub for $5 for a month and cancel, still nets you extra $5 off)

The bundle includes $40 worth of In game currency, so essentially you'll be paying $80 for both versions of the game and $40 worth of in game currency + some other perks, but they are all related to FUT.

For me (and only me) it's a decent deal as I intend to play this game on both last and current gen.

If you've moved to next gen then you can just get the next gen version. If you don't play FUT then just buy whatever is cheaper.

And if you buy Xbox/PSN credit from Eneba or CD keys, you can get it down to about £68 or something like that

acm2000

although its shitty, at some point there needs to be a cut off from past gen and current gen especially in cases like this where all the development resources were put into the current gen version.

still tho, fuck EA

catvonpee

Yeah fuck this. But I'll admit I'd pay $500 for a new Fight Night game.

I wonder if this is also considered a 'suprise mechanic'?

Edit
Clickbait, there’s a 70$ base version of course. The whole “100$ mandatory for next gen!!!!!one!” Circle jerk is dumb

The link in the OP seemed questionable to me so I didn't click. But doesn't seem as bad now.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Is this an out of season April fools joke?

And weren't EA also the assholes who first came up with online passes to screw with people who bought second hand games?

Fuck EA, like really. I wish Battlefield and Mass Effect weren't under EA's banner, because I do hate to give them my money.

jigglet

Banned
Many think of this as anti-consumer.

I think this is just general bad business. Even from a purely numbers perspective this is a dumb move. Is this going to incentivize people to buy the game multiple time? No fucking way. What are they achieving? Nothing.

Andodalf

Banned
You know that you can get EA Play on PS consoles, too, do you?

FFS this Gamepass propaganda is getting ridiculous.
Would a true PS fan get it? Sony told consumers it was a terrible value and fought hard to protect their fans from it for so long until the mean press bullied them.

PS+ and EA access combined is the same price as GPU which gives so much more value, that your post is still really propaganda! They got to you as well!!!

MastaKiiLA

How long until it's revealed that this was a misinterpretation or misunderstanding that conveniently resulted in web clicks? Sounds so stupid that it has to be wrong.

As long as there are buyers enabling this to happen, its corny for me to say this, but I dont think much of anything will change.

Its outrageous but sadly I think they know (or at least they hope) that a lot of fans will just "deal with it" and buy it anyway.

arvfab

Banned
Would a true PS fan get it? Sony told consumers it was a terrible value and fought hard to protect their fans from it for so long until the mean press bullied them.

PS+ and EA access combined is the same price as GPU which gives so much more value, that your post is still really propaganda! They got to you as well!!!

Any GAMING fan, no matter the console favoritism, would avoid subscription based services.

And why are you even comparing a rental service with an online fee service?

Unknown?

Haha you're so full of crap. Good one!

anthony2690

Banned
Why do I feel like people are blowing this way out of proportion as usual?

No interest in the game, but I can imagine it is just a mislabelling.

Like with MH:stories 2 on the switch, where the USA box art says it has a mandatory 15gb install, where as anyone with the game will be able to tell you it has no mandatory install.

dotnotbot

Why compare PS+ to Gamepass? Ever heard of PS Now?

Blond

Banned

Gamepass is cool till I realized that everything I was playing I could own for dollars on the used market and not be beholden to a subscription.

Plus they took away Void Bastards and I looked at the cost of ownership and it was 10 bucks on PS4 physically on the used market and 33 dollars on Xbox market.

Rather keep GameFly for the same price and have a choice in things I’m surely interested in vs that “meh I guess I’ll play this” quality on Gamepass.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why? Are they trying to get PS4 / Xbone players who are still trying to find a console upgrade to pay extra to prepare for when they score a system? Shitty.

FlyyGOD

Meh. Just pay $70 for the next gen sku. This only applies to people who paid $60 for the last gen version.

Still shitty but the simple solution is to just but the next gen sku.
From what I'm seeing you have to buy the 99 dollar special edition to get the full benefit of the next gen systems.

Top Bottom