• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Shoots Down Dead Space 2 Remake Rumors: 'No Validity to This Story'

Draugoth

Gold Member

EA has denied reports that a Dead Space 2 remake was in development before being canceled, with a spokesperson telling IGN:

"We don't normally comment on rumors but there is no validity to this story."

EA's comments follow reports from Jeff Grubb, who claimed that EA Motive was working on concepts for Dead Space 2, but that it was ultimately shelved due to lackluster sales of the previous release. However, IGN understands that the Dead Space 2 remake wasn't one that EA considered.

Deerock71

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

HL3.exe

Eventhough I love 2, I wish companies would stop with the remakes and focusing on a sequel or new IP.

But seeing how the current market is, service games getting more attention from audience then these experiences, the incredible risk of investment, possible shaky development when dealing with a new title and insane budgets these days...

I guess remaking a project is a more sure bet.

Edit: eventhough the 1st remake wasn't even a full remake as it reused a lot of the 2008 animations and scripting. It felt more like a facelift with added content, and a redone structure.

Last edited:

Vick

So it might have met expectations after all. Considering they were quick on clarifying this I think the franchise will continue.
That month the game was also picked as Player's Choice, it probably helped a little:

5501092e783475fbb71bee25d87132b8a346fdd2.jpg

Not sure still, considering we're talking EA and Dead Space 2 (60M budget) was not considered profitable with 4 million copies sold.

Well, I did my part, bought physical D1 and recommended the game everywhere, all the time. My GOTY and probably still GOTG.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

EA has denied reports that a Dead Space 2 remake was in development before being canceled, with a spokesperson telling IGN:

EA's comments follow reports from Jeff Grubb, who claimed that EA Motive was working on concepts for Dead Space 2, but that it was ultimately shelved due to lackluster sales of the previous release. However, IGN understands that the Dead Space 2 remake wasn't one that EA considered.

So you are saying big tech companys can shut down online rumors immediately? ... nooooo .. I was told that was "not the way" some months ago when a certain company wws going third party.

That month the game was also picked as Player's Choice, it probably helped a little:

5501092e783475fbb71bee25d87132b8a346fdd2.jpg

Not sure still, considering we're talking EA and Dead Space 2 (60M budget) was not considered profitable with 4 million copies sold.

Well, I did my part, bought physical D1 and recommended the game everywhere, all the time. My GOTY and probably still GOTG.

Does EA EVER fucking think one of their games has met expectations? I guess not when they have Fifa, oh sorry "FC" printing them money ..fuck EA though

Diddy X

Cool, I never played the original trilogy so I don't mind these remakes, first one was good and they say second is better.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
um.. no ?

They're using the "we never announced a DS2 in the first place" defense, which is technically correct. But that's not the context Grubb reported it in at all.
Well they are basically saying that the story was complete and utter bullshit. They aren't saying whether it's because they never started a DS2 remake or because they are doing a remake and haven't cancelled it because that would result in more made up rumors fishing for info.

I really do hope that they remake the second game, it's an extremely good franchise and it had been long enough since I played the original that the remake felt fresh. I only played it in January this year and so far it's my personal GOTY.

This isn’t hard. It’s probably both.

EA didn’t greenlight a remake of DS2 because sales of 1 weren’t good enough. And you can’t cancel something that never officially began production. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom