• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports predicts Argentina to win 2022 World Cup( been correct since 2010)

CeeJay

Also this has only ever happened once in 2010 with Spain.
Yes you are right, I stand corrected. I thought it had happened more than that. Turns out there are only a handful of previous winners who didn't win their first game (including draws).

My memory told me that the eventual winner rarely starts off very well and doesn't shine during the groups, growing steadily towards the final.

Last edited:

Markio128

Frustrated World Cup GIF

F3112006

Neo Member
Yes you are right, I stand corrected. I thought it had happened more than that. Turns out there are only a handful of previous winners who didn't win their first game (including draws).

My memory told me that the eventual winner rarely starts off very well and doesn't shine during the groups, growing steadily towards the final.
Think you’re maybe being confused with the idea that the eventual winners usually start slow, as in scrape a few 1 nils, or draw then get stronger as the tournament goes on, not wanting to peak to early as the saying goes or whatever.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Well this prediction aged nicely considering what happened today.
2010 Spain lost first game too vs Switzerland but latter win the tournament

in 2010 Spain came to SA with a 35 unbeaten streak & lost their first game against Switzerland & went on to win the title.

Argentina now with 36 unbeaten streak. Could be right could be wrong tho we shall see. EA machine predictor still on.

Last edited:

Teslerum

But you never know, there are so many ways to handicap your own team.
Nah, it's been surprisingly fair so far. If there's any cheating going on it's been well, well hidden. No unusual amount of suspicious calls or players acting weird.

Nowhere near the level of 2002.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Nah, it's been surprisingly fair so far. If there's any cheating going on it's been well, well hidden. No unusual amount of suspicious calls or players acting weird.

Nowhere near the level of 2002.

This Argentina result is suspicious enough.

lukilladog

Saudia arabia won fair and square there was no handicapping 🤷

That you know of, but soccer is quite complex on strategies, it's not just about players trying hard to score... of course I don't know either, I'm not saying it was fixed, all I'm saying it's quite likely considering how the Saudi's handle their sport inversions and how professional soccer has become primarily a dark dirty business.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: amc

Azurro

Banned

It's called getting fuckin' rekt son

That's the kind of goal you tell your grandchildren about.

I am thinking now that Argentina might not even get out of the group phase. I think the other two teams can get a draw out of them, Messi is old now.

Last edited:

lukilladog

It's called getting fuckin' rekt son

LMFAO, see how unmolested they let him pick up that moon high rebound in a critical area, suspicious as hell. That game was as fake as the nationalistic aficionados that have been around:

plastic-fans-moment-qatars-fake-775458266.jpg

Ps.- And I'm sorry for the Argentineans because their team got served in a dish plate by a few individuals. Hopefully the corruption doesn't ruin the whole event.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
LMFAO, see how unmolested they let him pick up that moon high rebound in a critical area, suspicious as hell. That game was as fake as the aficionados that have been around:

Ps.- And I'm sorry for the Argentineans because their team got served in a dish plate by a few individuals. Hopefully the corruption doesn't ruin the whole event.
Penalty box. You cant tackle, unless you are targeting the ball, like the last tackle.
If they went after him, he would have been awarded a penantly, since that would cause a contact foul.

lukilladog

Penalty box. You cant tackle, unless you are targeting the ball, like the last tackle.
If they went after him, he would have been awarded a penantly, since that would cause a contact foul.

Who said anything about tackling?. In soccer you just not allow these kind of rebounds to touch the ground, unless you want to get in trouble, it is one of the most basic things that is teachen to kids playing defense.

feynoob

Banned
Who said anything about tackling?. In soccer you just not allow these kind of rebounds to touch the ground, unless you want to get in trouble, it is one of the most basic things that is teachen to kids playing defense.
Then, how would they stop him?
Any kind of contact inside that box has a chance of penalty.

Ozzie666

Does the game mimic the constant flopping and acting like you've been shot? Argentina was impossible to watch with all the players dying after minimal contact. It's such a bad sour aspect of the sport. At least in hockey they give penalties for embellishment. So many offside calls against Argentina as well, to the point of hating taking the human element out of the game. Really wish they'd clean up their act.

Poppyseed

LMFAO, see how unmolested they let him pick up that moon high rebound in a critical area, suspicious as hell. That game was as fake as the nationalistic aficionados that have been around:

Oh puh-lease. The conspiracy theorists are a hilarious bunch. That goal was absolutely sensational. Even forgetting the players around him that failed to make the tackle (though the last guy especially slid in like his life depended on it, so wtf are you even saying?), the finish was world class.

But I get. It’s simple. If Saudi Arabia had lost, not corruption. If they win, it’s corruption. Those are the only two outcomes.

I guess Japan beating Germany is further corruption, and not just football being a crazy sport at times. 🙄

Last edited:

lukilladog

Oh puh-lease. The conspiracy theorists are a hilarious bunch. That goal was absolutely sensational. Even forgetting the players around him that failed to make the tackle (though the last guy especially slid in like his life depended on it, so wtf are you even saying?), the finish was world class.

But I get. It’s simple. If Saudi Arabia had lost, not corruption. If they win, it’s corruption. Those are the only two outcomes.

I guess Japan beating Germany is further corruption, and not just football being a crazy sport at times. 🙄

It's a great goal, but the way he was allowed to pickup a rebound that high is objectively and undeniably suspicious... also, how often do you see Messi putting the ball "outside of the stadium" in a free shot?. Hilarious.

Ps.- For the people that cannot argument beyond the "you are a conspirator theorist", and thing that soccer still is natural and organic:

"1. Introduction
This paper is an exploratory study reporting on the level and pace of Middle Eastern
(notably Gulf Co-operation Countries, GCC) investments in sports – especially football
Using a qualitative narrative that combines personal observations, media analysis of
developments in the region, and a review of the scant literature on the subject, some
interesting questions are raised as to why there is so much investment by the Middle
East in sports in general and football in particular? Could this be a sign of the “Future
of football” gravitating towards the region? Is the Middle East the Land of the future of
football?"

https://www.researchgate.net/public...the_future_of_football_lie_in_the_Middle_East

"As already documented elsewhere (Madichie 2009, p. 24), professional sports have evolved from mere "entertainment for spectators" to a service offering to four distinct groups - the fan-base marked by attendance levels, viewership, and purchase of team merchandise; television and other media conglomerates acquiring exclusive broadcasting rights; government and other private investments in construction of sports facilities; to sponsorships or outright team purchases by corporations and even governments - i.e. sovereign wealth funds (SWFs). Although there is no clear evidence of the first two anywhere in the Middle East, the latter two are defining the global development of professional sports - from football, through golf, to motorsports in that region and especially so in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). This paper highlights the implications of UAE investments in professional or elite sports - notably the ambition of the UAE at becoming the world's sports capital. These developments raise some crucial questions - how sustainable is this wave? Could it be just another tide? Why should anyone care?"

https://www.researchgate.net/public...mption_mantra_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates_UAE

Last edited:
Top Bottom