• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA unconcerned about releasing Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 this autumn

Kill3r7

We shall see. There are 4 AAA MP shooters coming out this fall. I doubt each community is made up of unique gamers. One or two of them will have lower than expected sales.

Chris1

Gears is TPS... so it doesn't look too crowded :O I guess
Gears is xbox's biggest exclusive though and considering exclusivity of Titanfall 1, it's directly competing against its sales even if it's not exactly the same type of game. It's not a wise move to release near Gears IMO. Battlefield maybe but not Titanfall. Titanfall would have to come out before Gears (September) or well after it (November) IMO

I am on the "they should have let titanfall catch spring 2017" camp.
BF1 will be unique among the other shooters in fall, but Titanfall, CoD IW and Gears looks a little bit like a crowd there.
Maybe EA Access earns them enough to afford to lose some sales in order to market Titanfall 2 as a big Q4 shooter.

Battlefield will sell well on it's own though, it has nothing to really gain from the holiday because it's already a huge franchise or competing against CoD. Titanfall 2 has a lot to gain there.

If anything gets pushed into 2017 it should be BF.

Feels like EA is going for the 1-2 punch against CoD. CoD fans that want a futuristic shooter? Titanfall. Want a WW1 shooter? BF. Want a
probably
better game? Either of them.

Big risk that could pay off hugely but I don't think it'll be succesful

*Splinter

I agree that BF and TF won't interfere with each other's sales too badly, I think Titanfall's real problem is CoD. Not sure if they announced the release date yet but I imagine they want to get out ahead by a month at least.

KingBroly

Banned
We shall see. There are 4 AAA MP shooters coming out this fall. I doubt each community is made up of unique gamers. One or two of them will have lower than expected sales.

You have Gears 4 as well. So there's 5. That's pretty loaded.

Especially when you consider DLC money.

Xater

I agree that BF and TF won't interfere with each other's sales too badly, I think Titanfall's real problem is CoD. Not sure if they announced the release date yet but I imagine they want to get out ahead by a month at least.

Well COD comes out in November. Doubt EA will release Titanfall the same month as BF1.

Chris1

Not sure I agree with this. CoD is out 4th November (Friday), I think Titanfall should release it on the 1st November (Tuesday)

Why? Have review embargo up well before release, build the hype train and directly cut into CoD's marketing campaign with the reviews/probably amazing word of mouth, then by the time CoD comes out Titanfall is still fresh on everyones mind and it might sway people to pick up Titanfall instead.

CoD will still outsell Titanfall but with the right marketing Titanfall could steal all the mindshare this holiday, especially with all the hatred against IW.

Falchion

As long as Titanfall doesn't get crushed from the warp drive titan that is Battlefield 1, I'm fine. All said I will be getting both at launch.

Scanna

Yes and no.
For us, gaming enthusiasts for the most part, who have no problem (since we're here I imagine) in discerning the differences between two shooters and have the will of investing money in more than a couple of games each fall, it's fine. Titanfall and Battlefield might live together and we could buy both in the span of a month or two and enjoy them.

But Johnny-I-play-videogames-but-I'm-no-expert doesn't. He's gonna probably buy 2-3 games a year and usually chooses the ones that give most bang for their bucks. So, sports games (e.g. FIFA) and a shooter (e.g. COD) most of the times. The other day I was talking to a guy and he was asking me about Overwatch for example, he seemed interested, but he told me that he normally doesn't buy a lot of games. I do prefer Overwatch to a Call of Duty BO3, but that time I advised him to buy the latter, since he's probably going to meet all of his friends there and get a seriously meaty package for his 60€.

People that buy shooters then probably will buy only one of them this year, between COD, Titanfall 2 and Battlefield this autumn and it's really plausible that the two EA games will steal each other's thunder a bit, even if they are really different at their core, because most gamers won't care or won't recognize the differences in play style.

brawly

Not sure I agree with this. CoD is out 4th November (Friday), I think Titanfall should release it on the 1st November (Tuesday)

Why? Have review embargo up well before release, build the hype train and directly cut into CoD's marketing campaign with the reviews/probably amazing word of mouth, then by the time CoD comes out Titanfall is still fresh on everyones mind and it might sway people to pick up Titanfall instead.

CoD will still outsell Titanfall but with the right marketing Titanfall could steal all the mindshare this holiday, especially with all the hatred against IW.

This is a nice plan and could potentially work, but you - just like EA it seems - have forgotten a tiny little thing

callofduty-4-modern-warfare-cover.jpg

Titanfall, Battlefield and Gears should scratch my shooter itch from October through to March/April next year.

Day 1 for the three of them.

It's a very competitive time in general with Gears/CoD launching as well. I don't think it was well thought out. TF2 should take spring, and BF1 fall if EA is smart.

Chris1

This is a nice plan and could potentially work, but you - just like EA it seems - have forgotten a tiny little thing

A $80 remaster with less maps than the original tied to a game with negativity surrounding it and potentially it being DLC for IW so you can't sell IW or anything. I truly think people are overestimating how much this is going to help COD. It will help, but not massively. Due to the nature of how you get the game aswell as Activision most likely pushing IW more than anything due to supply drops, the player base isn't going to be as big as it could be either.

When has a remaster/remake ever done huge numbers other than GTA/Minecraft? Even MCC, which was hyped just as much as COD4, even though it ended up broken still only sold a fraction of the other halo games sales and that was a much better package at a better price than this COD4/IW stuff.

0racle

After Bf1 reveal im confident tf2 will be jaw dropping as well and will cater to the cod crowd.

I seriously think codI is in some hot water

I'm buying BF1 for sure. I'll probably get TF2 depending on what my friends do. The game most in trouble imo is Gears 4. Multiplats reign supreme this gen

Hari Seldon

I think it will definitely cannibalize sales. Probably just BF1 for me. But if Titanfall came out this summer I would probably pick it up.

I'll definitely get Titanfall 2 rather than pay $80 for a watered down CoD 4, so they've made a good case for it if you ask me. A week or two ago I was saying CoD 4 was going to be my multiplayer game this holiday. That changed pretty quickly.

I'm probably skiping Call of Duty this year and will buy Titanfall 2 instead. That is unless Titanfall 2 looks crap which i don't think it'll be.

As for Battlefield, it's a completely different game so for me, it makes no difference. I will buy one FPS this fall/winter and Titanfall 2 is high on my list.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
I think I will try both with EA access but really liked the first Titanfall just wish it had some sort of horde mode / pve to start instead of releasing it months after release. BF1 looks cool I hope they have some 1942/1943 expac.

But some people that stopped playing some shooters after blops 1 have said they are picking up a xbox or ps4 just for the cod4 remaster, which is pretty crazy.

Gears 4 & Halo wars 2 will keep me sweet until the reviews are out and servers are running smooth then decisions can be made.

Is destiny releasing anything this winter?

Thoraxes

As someone who never really liked what Battlefield's multiplayer has to offer, I'm kinda glad Titanfall 2 is this year. I enjoy that style of gameplay much more, and will likely pick it up.

boltz

Yup, there's definitely some overlap, so someone's sales are gonna suffer.

I don't see why they wouldn't just delay Titanfall to Jan or Feb, seems the smarter play. There is a ton of overlap in this crowd and genre and with this new model of deluxe, premium, etc it feels more and more like you pick one and stick with it and get burned when you try to play too many at once.

Like I own deluxe/premium editions of BF4, Hardline, Battlefront, Black Ops 3, and Titanfall - multiple platforms sometimes due to EA Access, etc. I pretty much only play Black Ops 3 though and rarely touch the rest.

I know I'd do the same with the new crop too . Probably only just buy Battlefield 1 and COD Infinity at launch, and wait for a sale on Titanfall and GOW4 if they all release at the same time. I view the latter two as "less desirable" than the former, and I'm not sure how EA/Microsoft could change my opinion.

I was hoping TF2 would release March 2017. They should be a bit worried. I'm getting TF2 for sure over Battlefield. I'm sure there are plenty who would do the opposite. Better to have a good distance between them date wise, imo.

I think they are setting up Titanfall to be the direct competitor of COD. Maybe that's obvious I don't know :p

BF is their trophy horse, but I'm sure they are trying to get Titanfall 2 ready to steal away some COD fans.

JDB

Banned
Agree with you OP, between CoD, BF1, and even Gears 4 I think Titanfall 2 should be delayed a bit. EA probably has people that are smarter than me at this sort of stuff tho.
tumblr_n88lpasKof1qgr036o8_r1_250.gif

Yeah no. Did you play the beta? Titanfall 2 has nothing to worry about.

Question is can cod still be the reigning heavyweight champion of fps with so many new contenders..for me that will be interesting to see.

Euron

I mentioned in another thread that while I can see why they did that, it's disappointing to me personally because I don't see myself having the time or money for two different online shooters this fall. Though I'll be waiting on games for at least a few weeks this time so if things like FFXV disappoint then that will free up some time and money.

Right now I'd go with Titanfall 2 over BF1 since I have confidence that Respawn will at least make a satisfying campaign, if not an amazing one.

I'll buy both. Titanfall is the true heir to CoD in everything but name and Battlefield plays way different and is going to an almost entirely unexplored time frame in gaming. If anything both are attacks on CoD sales rather than each other's.

Coffinhal

You overestimate the bundled Remaster

I think they are setting up Titanfall to be the direct competitor of COD. Maybe that's obvious I don't know :p

BF is their trophy horse, but I'm sure they are trying to get Titanfall 2 ready to steal away some COD fans.

Yep that's pretty obvious

Top Bottom