• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Xbox One branding will help Battlefield 1; doesn't turn other console owners away

Boke1879

900p on both consoles? this is pretty much the only thing that bothers me with Multiplatform games... i dont give a shit if one game gets 3 week exclusive content... but its when parity comes to the party that irritates me.

And when games are comarketed with XB1, im always gonna assume it will be a gimped PS4 version. Am i wrong in assuming that?

Yea. I think to ensure a stable and smooth experience there will be compromises.

le.phat

Microsoft wins because they have a shooter to flaunt whith their current projects running thin.

Sony wins because it will sell the most on their consoles regardless.

EA wins because they'll get a fat check out of MS's pockets.

Guess everybody does win ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Upinsmoke

Hes right in what he says but he's wrong in thinking people don't act that way. I guarantee some ps4 only owners will not buy this because of brand affiliation. Stupid but true and it might only be a small minority but it will happen.

I'll get it on PC

I really don't care about marketing deals. Get money bitch.

But just don't do exclusive DLC for x amount of days and I'm good. EA, do what you want.

Chris1

It does sway people into picking up a certain version if it has extra benefits though.

Early DLC and the exclusive missions Sony has for Batman/Ass Creed/Watch dogs is pretty bullshit though.

GeeTeeCee

This seems like a complete non story really o_O

EA partners with Xbox, ps4 players will buy bf1 anyway. No shit

Makes you wonder why Microsoft/Sony even bother doing it when the company they're giving money to essentially admits that the whole concept is ineffective (at least as far as advertising is concerned, I'm sure exclusive dlc etc has some sway over customers).

Pif

Banned
I'm just rolling my eyes for the fact they always use the best looking PC footage to promote the X1 version.

As if we didn't know we will get the game way tuned down from that reveal trailer and at 720/900p.

Microsoft wins because they have a shooter to flaunt whith their current projects running thin.

Sony wins because it will sell the most on their consoles regardless.

EA wins because they'll get a fat check out of MS's pockets.

Guess everybody does win ¯_(ツ)_/¯

In what way are they running thin on projects? Bit of a ridiculous statement considering they have a ton of games scheduled for this year. Gears, crackdown, recore, sea of thieves, forza horizon 3, whatever undead labs is working on, halo wars 2, scale bound even though that's pushed plus whatever else they'll announce at e3 and gamescom.

bidguy

Banned
In what way are they running thin on projects? Bit of a ridiculous statement considering they have a ton of games scheduled for this year. Gears, crackdown, recore, sea of thieves, forza horizon 3, whatever undead labs is working on, halo wars 2, scale bound even though that's pushed plus whatever else they'll announce at e3 and gamescom.

ignore him i have never seen the dude not troll in xbone topics

Mithos

When a game partners with a console you don't own, does that put you off the game?

Well I will probably not play it and most likely never check news about the game again, so in a way YES?

OH... multiplatform game, still coming to multiple consoles... HMM, then I guess NO?

KiraXD

Yea. I think to ensure a stable and smooth experience there will be compromises.

what compromises? Ill never understand why any developer (regardless of whatever small time/cost extra it would take) wouldnt want the game to run to its full potential on each console. why limit one console just because another cant keep up? i would want my game to run its absolute best on everything even if that means better on PC over consoles, or better on PS4 over XB1. I hate parity. and i hate that comarketing usually pulls the parity clause out.... i just want the best game.

I don't mind that Microsoft is doing the advertising, frankly I don't mind if Microsoft did ALL the advertising of every multi-platform game, as long as it's clear that the game is also available on PlayStation platform and they have the same release date.

Snorlocs

what compromises? Ill never understand why any developer (regardless of whatever small time/cost extra it would take) wouldnt want the game to run to its full potential on each console. why limit one console just because another cant keep up? i would want my game to run its absolute best on everything even if that means better on PC over consoles, or better on PS4 over XB1. I hate parity. and i hate that comarketing usually pulls the parity clause out.... i just want the best game.

I mean, apart from resolution parity in some cases, there never really is any such thing. The ps4 almost ALWAYS has better shadows, LOD, FOV, particles etc. Most of the time it has all of this and still manages to run at a better framerate than the xbox one.

It's a set hierarchy now and there is no parity. PC>PS4>XB1

The only people that would get upset by this are probably idiots anyway.

It's not like the Destiny deal which has exclusive content for a year at a time it's just a marketing thing right?

Wagram

Why would anyone be concerned for the PS4 due to MSFT having a marketing deal? Almost every deal they've done has been more positive for PS4 than Xbox anyways.

It won't turn me away, but any DLC exclusivity for Xb1 will piss me right off.

That's because I only have the PlayStation 4 Home Entertainment System and Xbox exclusivity negatively affects me.

Snorlocs

I myself am wondering if there is any positive on microsofts side for this deal. Does comarketing actually correlate to an increase in sales for them. (It's pretty obvious (imo) for the ps4. See destiny and battlefront)

score01

It's a win win for EA. They get the co-marketing money from MS and the sales in the PS4 don't take a hit (usually end up selling more). There isn't a single downside for them.

Ralemont

not me
I can only speak for myself, but branding doesn't turn me away. Ultimately this is an entertainment hobby, and I don't feel up to denying myself experiences I'll enjoy just to stick it to the game companies or whatever. Sometimes the partnerships go too far, though. I was excited for Rise of Tomb Raider when it was announced, but for reasons other than bitterness my interest has waned. It doesn't feel as relevant to play as it might have a year ago. I'll still definitely play it when it comes out for PS4, but it'll likely be on sale. Again, not for any sense of "fuck SE/Xbox/TR" but just because other brands have popped up and now dominate my mindshare more.

It's not like the Destiny deal which has exclusive content for a year at a time it's just a marketing thing right?

The Destiny content thing is so overblown. The only reason it seems bad is because of how content starved the game was at launch. No one really cares about PS4 getting an extra weapon or two now that the game has been expanded.

I never understood the marketing thing when the console is deep into year 3, by this time the market has decided. If I was the manufacture I would save my money and let the publisher be agnostic.

TalonJH

I'd agree with that. It sucks for someone to have to wait longer for DLC but it doesn't actually turn them away. They usually seem to wait it out.

Odds are that the DLC will probably have a 30 day wait for PS4 players.

synce

Didn't realize there was supposed to be an association with Xbone. But if I was looking forward to a game and a console I didn't own was getting exclusive content, no I would not buy it unless it's timed.

With MS getting BF1 does that mean Sony has TF2, just can't see MS doing both.

Titanfall 2 will be competing directly against COD Infinite Warfare so I doubt Sony will market it. Activision would be understandably pissed. Titanfall is the small fry this Fall. I doubt it sells half of what COD and Battlefield will.

sense

Why lol, I think there is a good chance BF1 will outsell COD this year.
Highly unlikely. The reception is bad for cod because they are tying the remastered version behind the full game so you have to spend 80 dollars and the majority will begrudgingly spend it to play cod 4 remastered anyways.

Platform holders always pay for these deals.

The one who asked this question must be a Gaffer.

What are you insinuating here? Of course they did.

I actually thought it's always a mutual-kind-of deal and the dev gets % of the sales. But I guess it makes sense that you need to pay beforehand already despite of the outcome.

Then my question is: does MS have to pay more than Sony, because of the whole Xbone situation?

And in marketing, typically the producer pays to the platform/media owner to get the ad up. :)

900p on both consoles? this is pretty much the only thing that bothers me with Multiplatform games...

And when games are comarketed with XB1, im always gonna assume it will be a gimped PS4 version. Am i wrong in assuming that?

Not going to happen.

Its Frosbite.

The game most likely is 60fps. Either deal with 720p on Xbone or lets hope Microsoft has a Console Upgrade in the pipepline.

PS4 versions are never gimped.

Bgamer90

Banned
Silly question to ask. Everyone will know that the game is out on PS4 anyway and Xbox was going to get Battlefield 1 attention regardless due to EA Access.

Top Bottom