• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early this gen we got a game on console with RTGI. Will it be the one and only?

rofif

Banned
I expect competent devs that provide graphics options.
Then go to pc for your options.
I expect NO options on consoles.
Clusterfuck of bad modes we have this gen is not always so good. The modes are often subpar and a decision of sacrifice. Not gain... at least in some games.
Overall ability to unlock fps for vrr is always good but modes ... 50/50

Crayon

PC can barely do Ray-Tracing as well, cause the feature is simply forgettable at the best of times.

Yeeeeepp irs true. It's just a few sprinkles on top at the moment. The reflections look legit better tho. I started off thinking that was the least interesting effect and now I'm feeling it's the one that makes the most sense. Some games now have some very impressive scenes with rtgi tho.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

thanks. Yeah, for sure next gen.
Until then Devs will have to make 2 versions. raster/hybrid for consoles and rt for ultra pc. So more work in transition years.

The UE5 games releasing next year will be using raytraced lighting by default(Lumen). Silent Hill 2 Remake is already confirmed. Respawn the developers of Jedi Survivor have already said their game will be designed around raytraced lighting. The non optional raytraced lighting era begins next year. Embrace it.

https://wccftech.com/star-wars-jedi...-the-game-began-before-fallen-orders-release/

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
The UE5 games releasing next year will be using raytraced lighting by default(Lumen). Silent Hill 2 Remake is already confirmed. Respawn the developers of Jedi Survivor have already said their game will be designed around raytraced lighting. The non optional raytraced lighting era begins next year. Embrace it.

https://wccftech.com/star-wars-jedi...-the-game-began-before-fallen-orders-release/
As long as there are no other options and whole dev is RT, then sure. It should work... oh man will consoles suck at these games :p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
One of the reasons Metro EE is able to do it is because the games entire rendering engine was recreated with RTGI as the primary focus.

Also, the game has some real aggressive DRS and it can drop all the way to 1080p from 2160p to maintain the frame rate.

I think an aggressive DRS like that is amazing, in favor of consistency, but there are people on this forum who make a big issue when a game uses DRS to drop below 4K, so there's no way to please everyone.

Mister Wolf

As long as there are no other options and whole dev is RT, then sure. It should work... oh man will consoles suck at these games :p

Well I know UE5 has two variants of Lumen. Hardware based and software based so it is extremely scalable. Epic even said they want Lumen to be able to run on 60fps games. The quality may be shitty but it is what it is. We'll be able to toggle through the different levels of quality on PC but they all will involve raytracing for the lighting. That's a good thing. Most of these open world games that have a day/night cycle the lighting doesn't hold up. Baking the lighting is too limited and the dynamic method of using light probes paired with SSAO is shit at this point. Look at Halo Infinite. Terrible fucking lighting. Desperately needs raytraced lighting.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Well I know UE5 has two variants of Lumen. Hardware based and software based so it is extremely scalable. Epic even said they want Lumen to be able to run on 60fps games. The quality may be shitty but it is what it is. We'll be able to toggle through the different levels of quality on PC but they all will involve raytracing for the lighting. That's a good thing. Most of these open world games that have a day/night cycle the lighting doesn't hold up. Baking the lighting is too limited and the dynamic method of using light probes paired with SSAO is shit at this point. Look at Halo Infinite. Terrible fucking lighting. Desperately needs raytraced lighting.
halo is not the best example. The upcoming rt patch comparison pics looks the same :p

It's just a bad game.
THe difference in Metro was bigger

Mister Wolf

halo is not the best example. The upcoming rt patch comparison pics looks the same :p
[/URL][/URL]

It's just a bad game.
THe difference in Metro was bigger

The only raytracing they're using in halo infinite showcased in that pic is raytraced shadows. The most pointless variant of raytracing. Bragging or even showcasing raytraced shadows is the equivalent to someone saying they earned $110 vs $100.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Metro EE
KnQWoWd.gif

KbMHmKp.gif

When devs don<t half ass it, nothing beats RTGI.

UE5 is going to bring a LOT of RTGI with the offset of Lumen that supports RT acceleration.

I fear for console FPS, but well.. we knew where it was going anyway, it's always the same, dumps to sub 4k 30 fps, let's sell them a pro console.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Metro EE
KnQWoWd.gif

KbMHmKp.gif

When devs don<t half ass it, nothing beats RTGI.

UE5 is going to bring a LOT of RTGI with the offset of Lumen that supports RT acceleration.

I fear for console FPS, but well.. we knew where it was going anyway, it's always the same, dumps to sub 4k 30 fps, let's sell them a pro console.

Isn’t this software RT ?

DaGwaphics

Silent Hill Remake 2 running on UE5 is already confirmed to be using Lumen. UE5's built in raytraced lighting system. Respawn has already confirmed they will be using raytraced lighting for Jedi Survivor. They might be using Lumen as well since that game is also UE. You can count on all the other UE5 games like Avowed and Hellblade 2 to also use Lumen.

Absolutely, RTGI and Lumen will be big in this generation, the consoles have already shown themselves capable of running lumen (and that was in a less optimized state than what is available now). Not sure why people would doubt that this is something that will be used.

Top Bottom