• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EAT CROW THREAD! Admit views you were wrong about!

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
BF2042. I got sucked into the hype. I hadn’t purchased a BF game since BF4. So I was ready for something new. Little did I know that BF2042 could have released in such a state. It’s a stain on the franchise.
Never witnessed a game so barren of the core fundamentals completely missing like this.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Part of me thought Xbox was going to fade out, not entirely of course, but slowly into the background as the "other guys" after the absolute clusterfuck that was the Xbone years.

Definitely not happening.

buenoblue

I told a few work mates that 360 backwards compatible games would never come to Xbox one. I even said it's impossible! Then I learned nothing is impossible!

Back in 1998, I dismissed strafing in Doom and Quake... 🙄 - I was wrong, OK!?

I also wouldn't admit that the Super Nintendo was as good as the Sega Mega Drive. Now I love both consoles kinda equally, but the Sega has a special place in my heart.

What else.. I was positive that the Switch would fail miserably. I'm still very surprised that it keeps selling so well since for me, its the first Nintendo console that I have no interest in apart from the N64. But there you go.

When I saw the first ad I was like "who is going to want to buy this?" and I still feel the same way 😅

Nevertheless, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Last edited:

JimboJones

I thought the PSP was going to be massively successful, and then doubled down on the same mistake with the Vita - although I still think both of them are good machines.
I thought the Wii would probably sell a bit better than the GameCube, but would be in 3rd place.
I thought the Switch would be moderately successful.

So it seems I consistently overestimate the likely popularity of Sony handhelds and consistently underestimate the Nintendo stuff.
To be fair PSP was a big success just the DS was even more so.

TrueLegend

That Sony won't compromise on its basic principals, if it did there will be huge backlash, Sony fanbase won't let it slide. Well we have GT7 with always online Single Player and no one bats an eye.
Also that Sony could make a successful handheld or succeed in smartphone space. They had really nice ideas in the beginning, really great products too. The pricing, availability sucked hard and now it's all just declining. There is a silver line that now that they have an official online store here. Sony has made so many bad decisions over the years that are now showing its affect on thier balance sheet. Their long term growth prospects are in jeopardy. I didn't thought that switch will practically destroy Sony's Homebase. Sony always fumbles from a place of advantage. Youtuber mrwhoisthebaoss is making same predictions that I made seven years ago that Sony will rule it all and yada yada with their tv camera audio and all but Sony's supply side is just nightmarish slow to match their ambitions and I am not talking about pandemic affected supply here.

skit_data

Consoles are for kids, PC is for adults.

Well, I held that opinion until I started using my computer for music production. Can’t bother to move mics, monitors, instruments, tons of midi-controllers and shit just to play some games. So I got a console again, and it was glorious.

except for FPS and RTS, sadly :(

Edit: Another fact that further pushed me away from PC was ventrilo, skype, teamspeak and discord always fucking up the audio output/input because of having a external audio card.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I thought after Modern Warfare 2, the Call of Casual series could never disappoint me again.

I was so, so wrong about that. Fuckin' cocksuckas

Scotty W

I tuned out for Zelda: The Wind Waker, though I never hated it. It wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of people had to eat crow about this game.

brian0057

Banned
I hate the Metal Gear Solid series.
It's has some of the worst stealth gameplay in the genre and Hideo Kojima's influence has been a blight on the industry.

But Ground Zeroes? I dig it. Unlike the rest of the series, it's an actual stealth game.
Phantom Pain is just the typical Kojima pablum. Fuck that.

anthony2690

Banned
I thought games would never look better than virtua fighter 2.

As a child this absolutely blew my mind, the characters had shadows and everything, it was insane back then.

I am pretty sure I felt the same way about Shenmue on the dreamcast as well, being able to explore a very small slice of Japan and doing day to day mundane stuff, with the day and night cycle, with an arcade and all that, was insane back then, I was just absorbed into the games world back then.

dorkimoe

This was mixed because I was right but then wrong but I knew cyberpunk and no man’s sky were not going to live up to the insane expectations that was the circle jerk hype around these games. I actually had no interest in either. However cyberpunk was a blast for me and loved every second of it. Never had any issues on xsx.
I didn’t try No man’s sky until after the big updates it’s easily one of the most fun games I’ve played

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Furukawa turned out to not be just a suit that would milk Nintendo franchises on mobile, turning Nintendo on a shell of a company. In fact, he abandoned the mobile initiative pretty quick, what is pretty good.

Papacheeks

Banned
After the Wii U I thought Nintendo had no chance of selling anything close to Wii Numbers.

I was dead wrong. But can you blame me after how bad Wii u was?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I've always been on the mark about consoles so much so that is scares me sometimes

handhelds not so much

Thought the Game Gear would blow everything away, I kept a charger in my pocket and bought batteries all the time with my lawn mowing money didn't understand the complains at all its all worth it to not play on a pea green screen

PSP was going to be the biggest thing ever (to be fair it sold a decent amount)

The DS/3DS 'third pilar' not failing/being so popular I still don't understand it....and have zero interest in that platform to this day

Vita was going to be the biggest thing ever because OLED! but when sony fucked up not using SD Cards (and my 16gb vita memory card died) I quickly changed my mind

Last edited:
I thought the WiiU was going to sell as well as the Wii, because a GameStop employee told me it was selling out preorders and literally told me it was selling/going to sell as well as the Wii.

So I preordered the fucking thing and was the only one there to pick it up on launch. I still feel stupid for believing the guy and convincing a friend of mine to get one too.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
BF 2042

dead the office GIF

Fbh

"There's no way Sony will release their games on PC"
-Death Stranding launching on PC-
"Ok but Kojima Productions is a third party dev, this late PC port was probably part of the deal to get him to work with Playstation"
-Days Gone, Horizon and GOW launch on PC-
"Ok fine".

I also thought the Vita would be a big hit and be competitive or even outsell the 3DS.

TrebleShot

Game streaming platforms

GFN
Stadia
PS Now

Would never work because of latency and artefacts.

Completely wrong and if you have a decent connection 100-200mbs you will get near native quality with little to no input lag.

I seriously think its the future of gaming and hardware specs will be a distant memory.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Mario kart 8 won't outsell Mario kart Wii.

Switch will sell around 50 million.

Crackdown 2 would be good.

Nobody would miss the rumble in dual shock 3.

Burnout would make a comeback after need for speed took a nose dive.

New Super Mario Bros wouldnt sell nearly as much as 3d Mario.

FF7R will be a train wreck.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I thought the Switch was going to fail miserably because although it carried a nice idea (like the Wii U), the hardware was crap even for its launch year (like the Wii U).
I thought it was going to be left behind with no 3rd-party support and after a couple of years Sony and Microsoft would seize the opportunity to launch mobile versions of their gen8 consoles.

Turns out Sony and Microsoft both just decided to let Nintendo swim alone in their blue ocean of handheld videogame devices, and then a pandemic hit hard that made people buy consumer electronics in droves so that blue ocean got even bigger. And then came a massive crisis of integrated circuits' supply that didn't let Sony or Microsoft increase the volume production for their newer consoles, all while Nintendo just keeps swimming in their blue ocean with 7 year-old hardware made out of a chip that had originally failed miserably for NVidia because it just wasn't competitive with Qualcomm and Samsung, power-efficiency wise.

Joke's on me, though. Nintendo is swimming in money and the Switch is a massive success.

Last edited:

wolywood

Laughing at what I thought were Microsoft's pathetic attempts at countering the PlayStation juggernaut at the start of this generation ("Smart delivery....lol".... "Series S is a toy console"...."No exclusives....again!".... "Oh boy, another failed gaming subscription service")

Last year I bought my first ever Xbox console after 25 years of nothing but Sony. I don't yet have a PS5 and have no real plans to get one.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Mario kart 8 won't outsell Mario kart Wii.

Switch will sell around 50 million.

Crackdown 2 would be good.

Nobody would miss the rumble in dual shock 3.

Burnout would make a comeback after need for speed took a nose dive.

New Super Mario Bros wouldnt sell nearly as much as 3d Mario.

FF7R will be a train wreck.
This one is still painful to me.But I keep hoping it will come back.
Edit I though the Switch would be a failure too especially after the Wii U.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

The Switch being such big a success. I thought it'd do better than the Wii U but not anywhere near where it's at.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This one is still painful to me.But I keep hoping it will come back.
Edit I though the Switch would be a failure too especially after the Wii U.
It is for me too. I am happy we are getting Skate and Dead Space again but FFS give Burnout a freaking shot. Just once.

Top Bottom