• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 338: Borderlands 3, Gears 5, Untitled Goose Game

Bullet Club

• Borderlands 3 - 7
  • Gears 5 - 6
  • Untitled Goose Game - 8
  • Daemon X Machina - 5
  • Pokémon Masters - 6
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts - 9
  • Grindstone - 9
  • Hexagroove - 7
  • Overland - 5
  • Blair Witch - 4
  • Shinsekai: Into the Depths - 8
  • Assemble With Care - 5
  • Mutazione - 7
  • Where Cards Fall - 7
  • Erica - 7
Time Extend: Black & White
Making Of: Outer Wilds

Main Feature: Google Stadia

McCheese

Gears of War with a 6? big ooof.

Sayonara Wild Hearts getting a 9 is a tricky one, it's an interactive music video and it's a bloody great example of an interactive music video, stylish, sounds amazing, fun and a ton of variation. But.. there really isn't much game there, zero challenge or replayability, no fear of failure, but by design. I love it, but it's nothing like "rez" or traditional rhythm based games which might throw people off expecting that.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Gears 5 a 6 ?
damnn

bordorlonds a 7 ?
damnn

lol at daeon x hot japanese garbago

ROMhack

Gears of War with a 6? big ooof.

Sayonara Wild Hearts getting a 9 is a tricky one, it's an interactive music video and it's a bloody great example of an interactive music video, stylish, sounds amazing, fun and a ton of variation. But.. there really isn't much game there, zero challenge or replayability, no fear of failure, but by design. I love it, but it's nothing like "rez" or traditional rhythm based games which might throw people off expecting that.

I'm a big believer in the idea that a game can be good despite its length and lack of replayability. The most infamous case is Thirty Flights of Loving and I replayed that game 5/6 times.

mejin

Kojima won't have an easy life too.

anyway, gears review came to late even MS seems to forget the game launched.

ethomaz

Banned
Edge always focus on evolution and innovation... that is basically a no go to Gears 5 and Borderlands 3.

Dead Stranding have a way better chance to get a 9 than these two.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Untitled Goose Game beating two big AAA releases lol. Not that I say they're wrong, I'd also give Borderlands a 7 and I literally have no hype for Gears 5.

Edge trying to be edgy by giving those low scores. 6 way too harsh and 7 for BL3 also harsh

But they so late with review that I doubt anyone cares anymore

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
  • Borderlands 3 - 7
  • Gears 5 - 6
  • Untitled Goose Game - 8
  • Daemon X Machina - 5
  • Pokémon Masters - 6
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts - 9
  • Grindstone - 9
  • Hexagroove - 7
  • Overland - 5
  • Blair Witch - 4
  • Shinsekai: Into the Depths - 8
  • Assemble With Care - 5
  • Mutazione - 7
  • Where Cards Fall - 7
  • Erica - 7
Time Extend: Black & White
Making Of: Outer Wilds

Main Feature: Google Stadia

Why deamon x machina 5?

the game deserve it 8.5

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Cover if you're interested.

Or not sorry, stupid iCloud wont let me download it unless its in some stupid proprietary format.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why deamon x machina 5?

the game deserve it 8.5
739212.jpg

Fbh

Gaming community reaction when publications use the standard 0-6 = terrible , 7-8 = mediocre, 8 upwards is good scale:
"Wow reviews sucks, bunch of bought marketing in which not being completely broken already gives them like a 8/10

Gaming community reaction when a publication uses the full scale:
14d.png

Fake

Gaming community reaction when publications use the standard 0-6 = terrible , 7-8 = mediocre, 8 upwards is good scale:
"Wow reviews sucks, bunch of bought marketing in which not being completely broken already gives them like a 8/10

Gaming community reaction when a publication uses the full scale:
14d.png
Your reaction about gaming community generalization:
Ow_the_edge.jpg

• Triggered
Reactions: Fbh

Dane

Not even surprised by those scores, I can only recall Edge ever going alongside the rest of critic when the game was +90. They are basically the reverse Famitsu LOL.

vypermajik

I don't get Edge. They are just shocking for shocking sake. Here in America, they are irrelevant. By the time their "review" comes out, the game has been out enough for people to make up their minds. Even small YT channels like me, who usually review a game a week or so AFTER launch (since we don't get any early access), can still make content well before Edge arrives on scene. And every Edge review is the same. Ultra critical of everything, with the occasional indie gem that should be their GOTY.

My 2 cents!

manfestival

Assuming EDGE are the same as they used to be years ago, 6's and 7's in EDGE are like 8's and 9's everywhere else.
I kinda came here to post the same thing when I saw people treating review scores from Edge like they do from other reviewing outlets. Edge has always been... different

mcjmetroid

I don't get Edge. They are just shocking for shocking sake. Here in America, they are irrelevant. By the time their "review" comes out, the game has been out enough for people to make up their minds. Even small YT channels like me, who usually review a game a week or so AFTER launch (since we don't get any early access), can still make content well before Edge arrives on scene. And every Edge review is the same. Ultra critical of everything, with the occasional indie gem that should be their GOTY.

My 2 cents!
Well they're a British magazine and have been around since 1993 far long than any gaming website and have had the same review score system for all that time.

Its the scoring culture that's changed and I applaud them for not catering to it.

We should respect them if only because they're one of the last videogame magazines around and also it's a source that doesn't contain politics or any bullshit in their reviews.

Plus they don't have to respond to internet hate bombing their websites etc if it's just a magazine.

Last edited:

Ladioss

Damn. Completely missed out on Sayonara Wild Hearts, and I keep hearing good things about it since the last 24h. Is the hype real ?

sublimit

Banned
Can anyone take seriously the "reviews" of someone who hides in anonymity without knowing that person's past review scores and preferences/tastes in gaming in general? By "anomymity" i don't mean that i need to know his/her real name just something that gives me some context of what is this person's background as a reviewer and gamer.

Ideally every site that wants to be taken seriously should have their reviewers names linked to all their past reviews and articles.

Last edited:
My friend who's always been a HUGE Gears of War fan said Gears 5 is a piece of shit compared to the others, so there's that.

Deft Beck

I enjoyed Sayonara Wild Hearts, though it has many control and presentation issues.

The game likes to switch between gameplay mechanics frequently during each stage. Even within one stage segment, the control physics are either very floaty and unresponsive or too sensitive. The twitchy controls also hinder your ability to go for the extra collectible items. The QTE moments that are timed to the music make you press slightly too early to get Perfect grades.

The minimalist visuals occasionally lack contrast in obstacles or enemy attacks. In addition, the camera angle shifts between 2D and 3D plane segments, often failing to indicate to the player that they are in control or not. Sometimes the camera angle makes it ambiguous as to whether or not you can go a certain way, causing frequent failure.

I really enjoyed the music, though I admit that many of the tracks blend in with each other towards the end. The music is CHVRCHES-esque synthpop.

Overall I don't think it's 9 caliber. I think it's about a 7 or an 8. It's very short, assuming you don't go back for top ranks in each stage.

Last edited:
Gears is garbage if you don't like the multiplayer. Loved the first 3 games but gave up on the franchise because multi was laggy and glitchy.

The only campaign I liked was the first. After that they tried to get all dramatic and shit.

If they weren't on Game Pass I wouldn't have even bothered with 4 and 5.

78skidoo

Neo Member
For Gears 5, The number of times I died in single player due to the ai of my team was ridiculous. If you are judging it as a single player, a 5 would be generous. As a co-op I don’t know.
Also Del was the dullest character in a game, ever.

Top Bottom