• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Review Scores - February 2023

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yes indeed, even though it is (as I type) the last day of 2022, EDGE are already on February 2023's issue

rMzvqVm.jpg

Here are their review scores for shits and giggles:-

Marvels Midnight Suns - 8
The Callisto Protocol - 5
Warhammer 40,000 : Darktide - 7
Need For Speed Unbound - 7
Gungrave GORE - 4
The Dark Pictures: The Devil in Me - 6
Evil West - 7
Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 7
Swordship - 8
Melatonin - 7

EDGE awards (top 10 games of the year)

10 - Bayonetta 3
9 - Windjammers 2
8 - Gran Turismo 7
7 - Poinpy
6 - Hardspace Shipbreaker
5 - Roadwarden
4 - Neon White
3 - Pentiment

And, of course, trying to be edgy as always... there is no number 2. At joint number one...

Elden Ring

And

Immortality.

Enjoy all. Happy New Year.

Robb

Gold Member
Immortality was a neat concept but I can’t agree having it at number one. Wouldn’t even put it in the top ten. I’d like to see a sequel that builds on the concept though.

Nitty_Grimes

A few more nuggets for you:-

PlayStation Game of the Year - Gran Turismo 7
Xbox Game of the Year - Pentiment
Nintendo Game of the Year - Bayonetta 3
PC Game of the Year - Roadwarden
Mobile Game of the Year - Poinpy

Best Visual Design - Elden Ring
Best Audio Design - Tunic
Best Performance - Charlotta Mohlin (actor in Immortality)

Best Hardware - Steam Deck
Best Soundtrack - We Are OFK
Publisher of the Year (its EDGE what are you expecting?)
NINTENDO

Studio of the Year - FROMSOFT

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sometimes a part of me would like for Edge to adopt Famitsu's multiple number scoring system.

CJCVZhV.jpg

Just so that the audience can have a clearer image of how a consensus is met when placing a score.
Famitsu's scores are the worst. They typically give the big name games all 8s, 9s and 10s. And they arent genuine review scores.

There's an article I remember reading where they admitted the 4 scores are not true scores. But what they do is get together and do consensus scores (ie. get in a meeting and talk about it together) where they smooth out the ratings. That's why almost every game is scored +/- 1 pt. Deviations of +/- 2 are rare. And deviations of +/- 3 probably never in history.

//DEVIL//

The Callisto Protocol - 5
Gungrave GORE - 4

I mean I love Edge reviews and all but what the actual fuck ?

gungrave is shit . this is coming from someone who LOVES Gungrave. but it has nothing on Callisto and yet there is 1 point between them? cmon none of the reviewers looked at this and thought " well this looks stupid and it makes us look stupid, lets give it a better score " ???

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Does anyone know how to actually subscribe to EDGE?

I think it'd be really cool to get a physical magazine in the mail every now and then, but I looked into subscribing and I can't seem to find anywhere to actually do it.

Famitsu's scores are the worst. They typically give the big name games all 8s, 9s and 10s. And they arent genuine review scores.

There's an article I remember reading where they admitted the 4 scores are not true scores. But what they do is get together and do consensus scores (ie. get in a meeting and talk about it together) where they smooth out the ratings. That's why almost every game is scored +/- 1 pt. Deviations of +/- 2 are rare. And deviations of +/- 3 probably never in history.
Just wanted to clarify, I’m not saying they should adopt their scoring ideology, but rather their methodology. I agree that Famitsu tends to be too favorable and score too high, but their scoring method feels better than a single number scoring system.

I hope that clears up my stance. I like the fact that Edge scores use a full scoring number scale and prefer it that way. I just think that it would help them visually for the audience’s sake, so that they’re seen as less of a troll when they score way above or way below the average.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Edge scores are fucked up.

Pokemon Scarlet & Violet scores higher than Callisto Protocol? Looool. Fuck off, Edge. You're drunk*

*I am actually drunk. Mixed too much wine and cider. Happy new year mofos.

tommib

Does anyone know how to actually subscribe to EDGE?

I think it'd be really cool to get a physical magazine in the mail every now and then, but I looked into subscribing and I can't seem to find anywhere to actually do it.

Have been a subscriber for 20 years.

night13x

Edge magazine - the true definition of "tryhard". They purposely give obtuse isolated poor review scores for the attention. I guess that is their way of trying to stand out from the crowd. Outside of knowing that, the company is a joke and should seriously be taken with a huge grain of salt.

SaintALia

That Gungrave game was always weird to me. I've only played one of the games on PS2 and beat it, and it was a thoroughly mediocre experience, so I figured whatever came before or after it must have been pretty good or had a lot of fans to warrant a sequel. Saw a bunch of people getting hyped for it in the threads I visited for it, but the trailers looked wholly unimpressive.

It always surprised me that we get a sequel to something likes this, and not say Galerians or something.

tommib

Don't want to come across as a cynical cunt - but Sam Barlow did have a column in Edge for a while... make of that what you will.
Immortality has been on top lists almost everywhere. #3 on Gamespot and I can’t think of anything more mainstream and less artsy than Gamespot. Some times a game is just revered by the industry and that’s it. No need for conspiracies.

Nitty_Grimes

No salt because I’ve played neither and nor am I trying to cast aspersions.

Ragnorak got a 7 for being too much like the previous game, doing the same things over and over they said.

Bayonetta 3 where you (I assume) are doing the same thing over and over like the previous two. But it deserved a 9?

This is the magazine that refused to review Death Stranding and the editor a couple of months later mysteriously resigned despite using his entire editorial that month to wax lyrical about why he wasn’t going to review it.

Are those good examples of Edge being edgy - or just pedantic / petulant cunts?

Last edited:
Top Bottom