• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Review Scores [May 2022]

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
EYkMNrF.jpg

I’m about 25 hours into Elden Ring and I would give it a solid 8. The 10 out of 10 scores are ridiculous.

Now that the foundation is built with Elden Ring I think ER 2 will be the real mind blowing experience.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
you guys as always put way too much weight to “scores”…who cares? If you enjoyed game enough and feel like it’s 10/10 then that’s your experience. As much as I enjoyed Elden Ring a lot I personally consider Triangle Strategy as my GOTY, I don’t really care it never gets high score from mainstream media, it never going to change my enjoyment from the game.

RyRy93

What is up with all the people suddenly whining about Elden Ring? By any objective measure it's the best game since Bloodborne (which Edge also gave a 10).
Almost finished Liurnia and what a slog, so much filler. If they halved the map size, removing all the repetitive content in the process, it would be a 10.

tommib

This isn’t even this months EDGE….thats last months

20220416-164037.jpg

REVIEWS
Weird West: 7
Ghostwire: Tokyo: 7
Strange of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins: 6
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: 7
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands: 5
Abermore: 3
Rune Factory 5: 5
Chinatown Detective Agency: 6
Devastator: 7
Patrick's Parabox: 8
A Memoir Blue: 6
Hey, it was for May, we’re in April. That’s June! My June copy hasn’t arrived yet. Jeez. 😆

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I didn't even see what edge gave horizon, was interested in that.

What a treat score for GT 7 it really is a great game and deserves all the sales.

tommib

I didn't even see what edge gave horizon, was interested in that.

What a treat score for GT 7 it really is a great game and deserves all the sales.
HFW got a 7 from Edge.
  • Horizon Forbidden West – 7
  • Dying Light 2: Stay Human – 7
  • Sifu – 8
  • Rainbow Six Extraction – 7
  • Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 7
  • OlliOlli World – 9
  • Strange Horticulture – 8
  • Wanderer – 7
  • Not for Broadcast – 7
  • Please, Touch the Artwork – 7

Last edited:

Chukhopops

What is up with all the people suddenly whining about Elden Ring? By any objective measure it's the best game since Bloodborne (which Edge also gave a 10).
There’s always a bit of backlash when a game is universally praised since it will never appeal the same to everyone. In the case of Elden Ring, there’s a mix of people who don’t like the Souls formula, who don’t like open worlds, hard games, etc.

It always happens and doesn’t mean much about the game itself. See also: BotW

Fredrik

HFW got a 7 from Edge.
  • Sifu – 8
  • OlliOlli World – 9
  • Wanderer – 7
  • Not for Broadcast – 7
7 7s heh

What were their complaints for HFW? I haven’t played it after I started with Elden Ring but at the time I really liked what I played.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
HFW got a 7 from Edge.
  • Sifu – 8
  • OlliOlli World – 9
  • Wanderer – 7
  • Not for Broadcast – 7
Ah, thanks. I really need to grab olliolli world at some point.

I'm enjoying dying light thanks to co op.

7 is rough for a sony first party with that kind of budget, hopefully these reviews help guerilla sharpen up the next game.

tommib

7 7s heh

What were their complaints for HFW? I haven’t played it after I started with Elden Ring but at the time I really liked what I played.
Quoting from my copy:

The surprise is almost entirely absent. In fact, the biggest surprise is how unsurprising it is.
It is quite startling how little it has evolved the formula five years on.
Aloy's Focus is a requirement to navigate certain spaces, and certainly, you'll need to click the right stick to ping for foragable items and caches of supplies. Anywhere with complex geometry makes navigation a pain, not least underwater and interior sections, where the camera frequently gets snagged on scenery. Too often we're reminded that is a world built for form ahead of function.
Plot that amounts to locating and then overriding a series of rogue functions to reboot a hyper-intelligent AI, which involves spending far too much time making your way through a succession of boring, labyrinthine facilities.

They also hate the constant interior monologue which they dedicated a full page to.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Quoting from my copy:

The surprise is almost entirely absent. In fact, the biggest surprise is how unsurprising it is.
Aloy's Focus is a requirement to navigate certain spaces, and certainly, you'll need to click the right stick to ping for foragable items and caches of supplies. Anywhere with complex geometry makes navigation a pain, not least underwater and interior sections, where the camera frequently gets snagged on scenery. Too often we're reminded that is a world built for form ahead of fiction.
Plot that amounts to locating and then overriding a series of rogue functions to reboot a hyper-intelligent AI, which involves spending far too much time making your way through a succession of boring, labyrinthine facilities.

They also hate the constant interior monologue which they dedicated a full page to.
Thanks, yeah I can see what they mean, but 7 seems too low for me.
But like I said I haven’t played it after Elden Ring, not sure what I would think about it today. Maybe they played HFW and ER roughly simultaneously and it affected the scores.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Quoting from my copy:

Aloy's Focus is a requirement to navigate certain spaces, and certainly, you'll need to click the right stick to ping for foragable items and caches of supplies. Anywhere with complex geometry makes navigation a pain, not least underwater and interior sections, where the camera frequently gets snagged on scenery. Too often we're reminded that is a world built for form ahead of function.

Damn, I might get a sub. That take is spot on.

RAIDEN1

Lmao Elden Ring 10, EDGE really lost its edge.
The other thing that they lost is that recently seeing the magazine in flesh, it appears to be a lot slimmer now and with lot less pages, not like how I used to remember their issues...probably because the way of how the print world is now everything going digital..

tommib

The other thing that they lost is that recently seeing the magazine in flesh, it appears to be a lot slimmer now and with lot less pages, not like how I used to remember their issues...probably because the way of how the print world is now everything going digital..
I never stopped subscribing. As for the content I would say it’s the same amount but the font is ridiculously small. Probably to condense as much as possible in the smaller pages. I’ve emailed them several times about the font size.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
To be fair mate, its gone back up to 130 pages which is max its been at for a good few years. Was down to 100 during the 'rona crisis but been back at 130 for a year or so now.

And to be honest, olden days of EDGE the last 30+ odd pages at the back were literally just job adverts.

RAIDEN1

To be fair mate, its gone back up to 130 pages which is max its been at for a good few years. Was down to 100 during the 'rona crisis but been back at 130 for a year or so now.

And to be honest, olden days of EDGE the last 30+ odd pages at the back were literally just job adverts.
True, but also the world of gaming has lost its mojo a bit in that the hardware scene isn't as competitive as it was in the 90s (early days of Edge) you'd have Sega showing off their Model arcade, board, Namco in to compete, 3DO coming in with M2, Sega looking to be on top with a dreamcast successor in the works, all these companies in the ring, or Nintendo with rumours of a cutting edge piece of console kit in the works...tech demos etc...not it is just Playstation Pros and Xbox nexts..with Nintendo lurking somewhere in the background with their Switch....

Ribi

Ah yes edge's elden ring review.

"Hey writer elden rings out you have a 2 month deadline to get that review on my desk!"

Last edited:

Madflavor

Elden Ring is a 10. For 5 years I had to suffer people calling BotW the greatest game ever created, ignoring its obvious flaws. For 2 years I had to deal with people rubbing their nipples to TLoU2, trying to act big brained calling it a sublime masterpiece of storytelling.

Now it’s their turn to eat shit. Elden Ring, despite its flaws, is one of the best games ever made. It’s a commercial and critical hit, people are still talking about it, it brought in new fans, and sets a new standard for open world games.

Don’t like it? Don’t agree? Tough. Deal with it you fucking cuck. I want you to wallow in this game’s farts for the next 5 years. Get angry whenever you see someone call the game great. Nothing you say will change the fact that Elden Ring is the dopest dope you ever smoked.

SirTerry-T

Elden Ring is a 10. For 5 years I had to suffer people calling BotW the greatest game ever created, ignoring its obvious flaws. For 2 years I had to deal with people rubbing their nipples to TLoU2, trying to act big brained calling it a sublime masterpiece of storytelling.

Now it’s their turn to eat shit. Elden Ring, despite its flaws, is one of the best games ever made. It’s a commercial and critical hit, people are still talking about it, it brought in new fans, and sets a new standard for open world games.

Don’t like it? Don’t agree? Tough. Deal with it you fucking cuck. I want you to wallow in this game’s farts for the next 5 years. Get angry whenever you see someone call the game great. Nothing you say will change the fact that Elden Ring is the dopest dope you ever smoked.
Fucking hell pal, do you play your games or fuck them?

Life

Why won't people shut up about ER getting GOTY. Who cares if it wins or not? Isn't it enough that you enjoyed the game? Wtf kinda zealot behaviour is this.

The game smacks in you in the face with repetitive bosses - and shamelessly doubles down when you fight 2 (previous bosses) at the same time! Lets not even talk about how graphically inferior it is for a 2022 release.

Of course it's not a real 10/10 and OF COURSE it doesn't HAVE to win GOTY.

waquzy

It's the only multi format magazine left in the UK though...

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
What do you mean? The game is not perfect once honey moon is over and I did 90 hours :p

Imagine giving a game you trash online 90+ hours of your life. Tell me you don't value your own time without telling me you don't value your own time.

happy show GIF

I’m about 25 hours into Elden Ring and I would give it a solid 8. The 10 out of 10 scores are ridiculous.

Now that the foundation is built with Elden Ring I think ER 2 will be the real mind blowing experience.
1. You probably haven't gotten anywhere in just 25 hours unless you are using guides/Google.

2. I personally hope they never make ER2 and move on to something new.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Imagine giving a game you trash online 90+ hours of your life. Tell me you don't value your own time without telling me you don't value your own time.

happy show GIF

1. You probably haven't gotten anywhere in just 25 hours unless you are using guides/Google.

trash?! TRASH ?!
I love this game. I just don't think it's a 10 or as good as the trilogy.

Imagine playing a game for 90h and being oblivious to any problems of which this game has many actually.
With 90 hours, any game will have problems but this on have some deep rooted issues. Especially around bosses.
Just watch some real critique

I would have hoped honeymoon would be over by now but people are still sucking this game. Nothing wrong in some analytical critique. only makes the next game better.

Last edited:

I have been using guides so I got pretty far in those 25 hours lol. I wouldn’t have the patience to play the game without using guides.

Elden Ring 2 is definitely happening, it’s gotten too big to just abandon like they did Bloodborne.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I have been using guides so I got pretty far in those 25 hours lol. I wouldn’t have the patience to play the game without using guides.

Elden Ring 2 is definitely happening, it’s gotten too big to just abandon like they did Bloodborne.
Bloodborne wasn't abandoned by FROM, they don't own the IP. I don't even understand what you are trying to say here.

Top Bottom