• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring’s open world is actually kind of dead and boring

*were

Kinda represents this thread.

836346.jpg

This game often gets credited along with Breath of the Wild as a pioneer for modern open world game design and I don’t really see it. It does some things well for sure. The hidden areas are cool, and I like the emphasis on discovering things for yourself, without the assistance of Ubi style checklists and map markers. I liked being able to do things in any order. But I dunno, it feels like most of the “discoveries” are just items that don’t even fit with my build, so they’re just useless. At some point I ended up just using a guide to find the best weapons and abilities for my build so I didn’t have to wander around aimlessly only to get rewarded with useless crap.

The world barely has any non hostile NPC’s in it. There’s no towns or settlements. For me, one of the great things about open world games is seeing a new town over the horizon. It feels like a reprieve from the sprawling forests, green fields, and mostly empty spaces that occupy open world games. I love going around to whatever unique shops a town might have, and talking to NPC’s. BOTW keeps this aspect, while still maintaining its free flowing open world. Elden Ring has basically none of this. MGS V gets derided for being empty and barren but ER doesn’t.

The only way to interact with anything in Elden Ring is through combat. Makes sense because it’s an essentially a Souls game, I know. But it became extremely dull as the game went on. There was no “discovery”, just a different enemy trying to kill me. The “what’s over there” feeling dissipated as I realized this. The game is just a series of enemy mobs and mini bosses. Most of them are very cool, no doubt. The art design is tremendous. Not denying any of that. But there is simply no world interactivity beyond direct combat.

For me, Red Dead 2 and BOTW are far superior open worlds. They actually feel alive and lived in. You can literally just walk around like a normal citizen in RDR2 and vibe with the games atmosphere because it is so filled with life.
Spot on mate

Oh yes OP, FROM software being touted as the top dev in the game, is a slap in the face to gaming as a whole. Why? Because it tells me how little many gamers care for outside of combat.

It shows me your average gamer only understands a video game, And considers "gameplay" to be something where they are constantly in combat. After shenmues, red deads, half life's, witcher 3's we spit in the face of those games when we act like FROM scratches the itches those games did. Sometimes we act as if FROM exceeded them. They didn't. Not in all aspects.

I never will experience the beautiful unique quests that I did in the witcher 3 in a FROM game. Witcher had quests that only had to do with characters and you didnt evem touch a sword. As does rdr2 and modern GTA, morrowind, oblivion, shenmue etc

To me, thats hardcore gaming. When you can calm the fuck down for two seconds and listen to characters, soak it in, be in the world, be in the story, and still know to level up all your gear and fight well.

Theres a reason souls games are popular among streamers, and bro's. Because its an "always fighting something" type of game. Dude bros have a waaaay harder time listening to a character talk lol

But I notice a trend. BoTw in my opinion takes something away from the old school zelda magic. Zelda relied on its pacing and heroes journey ark to sell it in the past. Now its...similar to elden ring in a way. "Player agency"

ER’s world is designed to be as it is, it never aimed to be a living colorful world in which you can do a lot of quests from NPCs, actually very few NPCs are alive, and most of them simply die, FS games are usually based on apocalyptic almost dead worlds.

I have the feeling this thread will be supported by totk and Demon”s Souls (PS) fanboys, so well

Fredrik

This is what developers are saying about TOTK

Ex Naughty Dog developer dammmmmmnnnnn hahaha

Lol yeah, Nintendo somehow manage to make it work by just giving you a tool box and say ”Here you go mate have fun 👍”.
Other devs are still doing specific climbing spots and main character can’t go past a bit of rubble or the whole game would collapse. I’ve played so many games like that lately that I honestly stumble over my own thoughts thinking things are trickier than they actually are in TOTK, then I keep getting wowed when I realize how straight forward and obvious everything is.

Like most open worlds, after enough time the “romance period” fades away.

That said, the first time through Elden Ring was pretty magical, almost surreal at times, and I’m not even the biggest fan of the game.

ER’s world is designed to be as it is, it never aimed to be a living colorful world in which you can do a lot of quests from NPCs, actually very few NPCs are alive, and most of them simply die, FS games are usually based on apocalyptic almost dead worlds.

I have the feeling this thread will be supported by totk and Demon”s Souls (PS) fanboys, so well
Ehhh that "dead world" argument seems like an excuse not to do much with the world.

I have yet to see from make a game where enemies arent just wondering back and forth waiting to fight you. I'd like to see if FROM can make quests like morrowind, witcher 3, rdr2 etc
Creative stuff that isnt just fighting.

Im not even sure from is capable of giving a quest along the lines of bloody baron. Are they? Havent seen it. Just fighting all day like im a dude bro.

Its okay if they cant, but just dont act like they are pushing the medium forward. I dont want more devs thinking mouths not moving is okay.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

A Souls game feeling alive would be a huge negative to me lol. Anyway, even if you can't burn grass and use the smoke to somehow fly a kite up to a cliff, doesn't mean it isn't one of the most entertaining open worlds so far.

NikuNashi

The best world design Ive ever seen in a game (and I dont like open wold games). Leagues above BOTW imo.

Verticality is incredible, visually stunning everywhere you look.

Even if there was friendly npc's, I would just swipe them anyway, no time for talking.

Tomeru

Yo this thread has some really hard takes about u derstanding things which shows how little something is what it is. And with such confidence.

Ironic.

I'm not trying to intentionally diss, but facts should be checked every now and then.

While ER is my least favorite souls, its open world design is extremely smart. There is that one picture that illustrate it pretty good. Can't find it now cause Im at work (maybe someone knows what I'm talking about and can find it, if not, I'll try to get it laters).

None of the things that you described about the game sound problematic at all.

Why is the fact that "the only way to interact" is through combat a problem? This isn't fantasy GTA. It's a souls-like game in an open world. Combat and exploration are what these games are about. Expecting the developer to shove in some token open world fluff just to satisfy some nebulous need for "content" is exactly what led to Assassin's Creed series being what it is today..

Ehh yes and no, its an open world rpg correct? Thats what it is. Im tired of souls games getting a pass as some other "thing", when its a fucking rpg. An open world one. We've played those before. Souls isnt some new thing. You fight shit, you level up, you grind, you loot. Like a fucking open world rpg.

So lets compare it to others of its own genre. Games that also have alot of combat and rpg. Morrowind, oblivion, the witcher 3, mass effect, cyberpunk and more of course.

So when you compare elden ring DIRECTLY to to those other open world rpg's. It does come off as having only one way of interacting with the world. It doesnt feel "living", and feels like a fight fest.

Compare that to the witcher 3 and...we have a problem. The witcher 3 you level up and grind and collect loot, fight monsters and bosses. And sure, you may like elden rings combat more, but thats all elden ring does. In the witcher 3, you dont know what to expect. You could end up fighting a tree thats sucking the life out of a forest, because he doesnt want to give it to the witches residing in it OR you're at a mask party negotiating with a succubus to pretend its killed itself. Whereas souls games...well whatever im doing i know its just another fight around the corner.

Thats not jusy filling the game with random content, thats being a COMPLETE fucking open world rpg. Not just an action game with no quests

Or maybe i was wrong about the community, all we wanna do is run around and fight. Fuck everything else

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The world barely has any non hostile NPC’s in it.

The only way to interact with anything in Elden Ring is through combat.
Exactly. The only reward for exploration is more combat, or junk to use in combat. You make combat to win stuff to use to make more combat. Nothing is ever just curious to see you - as soon as something spots you, it’s a fight to the death. If an area looks empty, just take another step and a ”mini”boss will come from the sky or the underground. Shit’s tiring. The open world shouldn’t be used for this. In the more linear Souls games it’s normal to be on the edge at all times, but in ER I would have liked to be able to enjoy some places and vistas without having to slay a small army first.

oh-sure-john-candy.gif

This is what developers are saying about TOTK

Ex Naughty Dog developer dammmmmmnnnnn hahaha

They are acting like totk is 2003 when Valve revealed the source engine or something, when they first showed us the gravity gun. That was an impressive feat for the time. This... is not. Game has physics about as complex as a 2004 game valve did

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
This game often gets credited along with Breath of the Wild as a pioneer for modern open world game design and I don’t really see it. It does some things well for sure. The hidden areas are cool, and I like the emphasis on discovering things for yourself, without the assistance of Ubi style checklists and map markers. I liked being able to do things in any order. But I dunno, it feels like most of the “discoveries” are just items that don’t even fit with my build, so they’re just useless. At some point I ended up just using a guide to find the best weapons and abilities for my build so I didn’t have to wander around aimlessly only to get rewarded with useless crap.

The world barely has any non hostile NPC’s in it. There’s no towns or settlements. For me, one of the great things about open world games is seeing a new town over the horizon. It feels like a reprieve from the sprawling forests, green fields, and mostly empty spaces that occupy open world games. I love going around to whatever unique shops a town might have, and talking to NPC’s. BOTW keeps this aspect, while still maintaining its free flowing open world. Elden Ring has basically none of this. MGS V gets derided for being empty and barren but ER doesn’t.

The only way to interact with anything in Elden Ring is through combat. Makes sense because it’s an essentially a Souls game, I know. But it became extremely dull as the game went on. There was no “discovery”, just a different enemy trying to kill me. The “what’s over there” feeling dissipated as I realized this. The game is just a series of enemy mobs and mini bosses. Most of them are very cool, no doubt. The art design is tremendous. Not denying any of that. But there is simply no world interactivity beyond direct combat.

For me, Red Dead 2 and BOTW are far superior open worlds. They actually feel alive and lived in. You can literally just walk around like a normal citizen in RDR2 and vibe with the games atmosphere because it is so filled with life.

Elden Ring and Breath of The wild are the most overratade games of all time ... this wandering free "discovery" fetishism to find shit people dont need and the same dungeon for the 50th time or the same enemy/boss with minimal tweaks for the 20th time is something Ill never understand.

Elden ring is the worst souls game for it ... by far....but it benefits for been the easier and much more accessible From game, and finally the mainstream was able to play a Souls game and they jizzed all over it because Miyazaki gameplay and world building is freacking awesome.

Witcher 3 was the best open world I have ever played... because of the story and characters... nothing to do with being Open world.

Exactly. The only reward for exploration is more combat, or junk to use in combat. You make combat to win stuff to use to make more combat. Nothing is ever just curious to see you - as soon as something spots you, it’s a fight to the death. If an area looks empty, just take another step and a ”mini”boss will come from the sky or the underground. Shit’s tiring. The open world shouldn’t be used for this. In the more linear Souls games it’s normal to be on the edge at all times, but in ER I would have liked to be able to enjoy some places and vistas without having to slay a small army first.

Well in my opinion the elden rings love and gamers forgetting about what other open world rpgs did better than elden or that elden doesnt even offer; tells me alot about what gamers want. I always thought that kid who skips the cutscenes and just wants to fight all day was a casual frat kid who doesnt really like games that much. Turns out its half the community who acts like that lol elden ring is perfect for them then.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Extreme hot take:
The only thing souls games have going for them is the arcade quarter munching stickler of dying repeatedly until you memorize patterns to die less.
Outside of that, souls games are rather hollow.

I Agree.. but like any classical arcade game , is addictive as fuck

ALSO...thats why Sekiro is the best souls like game

Elden Ring and Breath of The wild are the most overratade games of all time ... this wandering free "discovery" fetishism to find shit people dont need and the same dungeon for the 50th time or the same enemy/boss with minimal tweaks for the 20th time is something Ill never understand.

Elden ring is the worst souls game for it ... by far....but it benefits for been the easier and much more accessible From game, and finally the mainstream was able to play a Souls game and they jizzed all over it because Miyazaki gameplay and world building is freacking awesome.

Witcher 3 was the best open world I have ever played... because of the story and characters... nothing to do with being Open world.
The fact that witcher 3 isnt being brought up, in favor of games that are devoid of the thing witcher 3 did...tells me alot about where gaming is at. Casual as fuck. Thats what.

Theres a reasom why witcher 3 hasnt been copied...why? Because that shit is actually hard. You actually have to CARE. The dev would have to care about each little detail and quest, and come up with unique ideas for quests and hand write each one. And ambitious graphics and presentation.

Souls on the other hand, look how many devs think they can copy that. Alot. Why? Because its a formula. But 2023 gamers love formulas

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The fact that witcher 3 isnt being brought up, in favor of games that are devoid of the thing witcher 3 did...tells me alot about where gaming is at. Casual as fuck. Thats what.

Theres a reasom why witcher 3 hasnt been copied...why? Because that shit is actually hard. You actually have to CARE. The dev would have to care about each little detail and quest, and come up with unique ideas for quests and hand write each one. And ambitious graphics and presentation.

Souls on the other hand, look how many devs think they can copy that. Alot. Why? Because its a formula. But 2023 gamers love formulas

I agree with almost everything you said... but how many devs were able to copy Miyazaki formula ?? Of all trying?? NONE ! Elden Ring was made for the casuals and wandering lovers... souls game like bloodbourne, dark souls and sekiro ARE NOT ...

Last edited:

Elitro

I understand your point of view and totally disagree, but it depends on what you want from the game.

Personally i enjoy the quiet, after almost dying on most fights it's always nice to walk around and calm myself down before the next fight.
The environment is also so incredible, that just walking around and getting immersed by the atmosphere feels way better to me than being bombarded with chatty npcs with unimaginative quests or having to look around for hidden things to collect in every corner of the map.
The world in ER just feels like a normal world, sometimes mundane, sometimes exciting but not overly stimulating in every inch of the map.

That being said, i love RPG's with cities brimming with life. Variety is the spice of life, and ER brings a unique formula which is very refreshing.

Nico_D

Lol yeah, Nintendo somehow manage to make it work by just giving you a tool box and say ”Here you go mate have fun 👍”.
Other devs are still doing specific climbing spots and main character can’t go past a bit of rubble or the whole game would collapse. I’ve played so many games like that lately that I honestly stumble over my own thoughts thinking things are trickier than they actually are in TOTK, then I keep getting wowed when I realize how straight forward and obvious everything is.

Yeah, that is true. There have been times when I'm playing TOTK and there's an obstacle, I decide go over the obstacle, one way or another. And then I remember that if this was most of the other games, there's would be an invisible wall here or, like you said, a small rubble that the craracter can't climb over. Or a tree trunk you are unable to go over or under. In TOTK you can burn the trunk, you can shoot it away with a rocket part, you can chop it, you can attach wheels to it and see it roll away...

I agree with almost everything you said... but how many devs were able to copy Miyazaki formula ?? Of all trying?? NONE ! Elden Ring was made for the casuals and wandering lovers... souls game like bloodbourne, dark souls and sekiro ARE NOT ...
I think western devs will have a hard time successfully copying him. But east asian devs? Maybe not in terms of level design but in other areas they will succeed. Ni-oh was already successful. Just wait for platinum to do one lol

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I think western devs will have a hard time successfully copying him. But east asian devs? Maybe not in terms of level design but in other areas they will succeed. Ni-oh was already successful. Just wait for platinum to do one lol

And Nioh is awesome and not a casual game either .... but thats a good exemple, not exactly the same formula but is a good example 👍🏻

Drizzlehell

Banned
all we wanna do is run around and fight. Fuck everything else
By your logic...
Doom fans: "all we wanna do is jump around and click on enemies"
GTA fans: "all we wanna do is punch in a cheat code and kill some people"
Gran Turismo fans: "haha car go brrrrr"

That's not how it works, bruv.

So when you compare elden ring DIRECTLY to to those other open world rpg's.
Ask yourself: why is this important?

You're comparing ER to all those other RPGs as if they should be exactly alike, but who said they should? That's not the kind of game ER tries to be, and there's nothing wrong with that. Sure, if you're going to dumb it down to "it's just fighting in a big open space" to make your point, then obviously it won't sound like there's a lot to it. But just because you can't see past the surface, it doesn't mean there's something wrong with the game.

What all those other RPGs that you mentioned have in common is that they make their various internal systems very obvious to the player, and they always hold your hand and provide tutorials for their gameplay features, ensuring you won't have to experiment and can just follow a beaten path instead. In Elden Ring, and every other Souls game for that matter, the only things immediately recognizable about the gameplay are melee combat, the fact that most things want to kill you, and the presence of a vast open world to explore. That's it. From there, you have to figure it out on your own, inevitably walking into various traps or making cool discoveries, like Ash Lake or the Anor Londo twist in Dark Souls, along with hidden bosses, quest lines, NPCs, and more across all Souls games. And guess what? THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN ONE OF THE BIGGEST DRAWS OF THIS SERIES. These games offer such a wealth of lore and hidden secrets that it can make your head spin. But you do have to work for all of it, and that's one of the things that make them such a feast to play.

If you've never played one of these games with your friends, discussed the various things you found in them, shared your discoveries among each other, or even sought tips from more experienced players on how to accomplish certain things, then chances are you won't immediately "get" the allure of games like Elden Ring. The game simply refuses to hold your hand beyond showing you the basic controls at the start. But just because you didn't take the time to examine it closer and instead viewed it as an "empty combat game," you approached it with the wrong attitude. If there's anything problematic about the game, it's certainly not any of the things you mentioned.

Honestly, this is exactly what I was trying to say when I made this thread:

I wish we had more games that put a little more faith in players' curiosity and ability to figure things out on their own.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I'm probably one of the most die hard Fromsoft stans and I have to say I agree. Elden ring in general is my least favourite game in the franchise. I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 more which is saying something.

For me open world just doesn't work for this kind of game. I found myself hating most of the game because of it. Fast traveling around as much as possible made it passable to complete once but not a chance in hell I will ever play through that slog again.

kuncol02

Banned
They both have very similar gameplay. When entering a mission, if you stray 5 feet away from your objective it's an instant mission fail. Somehow, this archaic design has never been evolved, and has somehow persisted in Rockstar's wonderful open worlds since the PS2 generation, and no one bats an eye to criticize it.
That's because their open world is exactly same design philosophy stretched to whole world by sheer amount of money thrown into development.

Elog

I think the OP goes a bit too far. However, personally I feel that the open world design of Elden Ring is a slight negative compared to other FromSoft games. For me it is a bloated Dark Souls. Still a good game but it did not push what From is doing in the same way as BB or Sekiro did.

BbMajor7th

Elden Ring is pretty great the first time through, but the open world loses a lot of its appeal as soon as you begin to see the repeating format, after which it can start to feel artificial. It's certainly an interesting and valid take, but not my favourite example. Breath of the Wild did some amazing things with verticality and sandbox systems but lacked in too many other areas to really win me over. The overwhelming lack of caves, underwater exploration, or more built-up areas really hurt it in the end. Witcher 3 is still goat for me - there was more to discover than just mobs or loot, and the world really did feel lived in. Skyrim is still amazing too.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

A key concept I think might benefit many people here is:

"Sliding Scale of Gameplay and Story Integration"

The spectrum is something like this
Gameplay and story segregation <--------------------------------------------> Gameplay and story integration

The more story element you implement in a game, the more restriction you will have with the mechanic
·Minecraft there is literally no story or lore, so you also had least amount of restriction. It leans to the far end of the left of the spectrum
·BotW
you have very minor cutscenes, but it still had lore, its more restrictive than Minecraft, but the mechanic is much more free compare to other game because it had no storytelling element to restrict its mechanic. It leans towards left of spectrum
·RDR2
it focus on both storytelling and mechanic , the mechanic has to be the more restrictive because that restriction serves the purpose of storytelling. If you would implement BotW physic into RDR2, not only you completely breaks the realism the game was trying to present, you also break the story sequence. It leans towards middle of the spectrum
·The Last of Us
it heavily focus on storytelling with reasonable stealth and shooter mechanic. It leans towards right of the spectrum
·Telltales Games
storytelling is its only focus, its mechanic is more close to a DVD menu, any other mechanic will complete break its core aesthetic. It leans towards the far end of right of the spectrum

The physic in BotW is not hard to make, its just that it interfere with many game's design philosophy, its not a limitation but a choice. RDR2 will lose its core audience if it went with BotW mechanic design.

Game mechanic provides incentive to play, Story provides meaning to that play, both element had been a staple since the beginning of video game. Its just that through technology advancement, we are no longer restricted to the text based storytelling which was the early 80s, now we could provide cinema level of Visual and Audio language into games instead of just texted dialogue, its an advancement and its not going away anytime soon.

For people who doesn't understand why storytelling is important in video game and how its different than reading book or watching movie, here is a keyword for you to research "LUDO (Ludology-Dramatology-Ontology)"

We will get the most out of video game if we start to appreciate diversity of game design.

Last edited:
Huge From Software fan for years, hell i e had this sekiro avatar forever lol.

Their games came to me during a time i felt games were too easy and I crave a challenge...In a time where so many AAA games felt like popcorn hollywood summer movies with little challenge the 'From games satisfied my appetite for something that tried to kick my ass, as opposed to shiny graphics and big set pieces that held my hand.

I say all that to say i go into their games looking for the combat challenge and I pretty much hate everything else about em(I've beat Dark Souls 1-3 over 5 times each and have no fucking clue what they are about lol). Blood borne and Sekiro were the only ones i actually thought had interesting characters...cause i like samurai/ninja stuff and blood borne was just so stylish.

I loved Elden Ring, but for the combat. Personally didn't give a shit about much else lol

GooseMan69

None of the things that you described about the game sound problematic at all.

Why is the fact that "the only way to interact" is through combat a problem? This isn't fantasy GTA. It's a souls-like game in an open world. Combat and exploration are what these games are about. Expecting the developer to shove in some token open world fluff just to satisfy some nebulous need for "content" is exactly what led to Assassin's Creed series being what it is today.

Finding cool loot isn't really as much of a reward as finding a cool new place to explore with a unique new enemy or boss to fight. You want a dopamine hit from dropping a legendary sword at the end of a dungeon, go play Diablo. A new one comes out in a month, you should like it.

Not sure what are those empty spaces that you're talking about either because the game is filled with interesting places to explore and discoveries to be made.

Overall, it sounds like you want the game to be something else without really being receptive to the fact that it's just a different kind of open world game that doesn't bother with the established norms of the genre and tries to do its own thing.

You say I want a Diablo type game where you just kill shit to level up and gear up so you can kill more shit? That’s all you fucking do in Elden Rings open world! Except the loot kinda sucks most of the time. It’s just a super artsy version of it. And there’s nothing wrong with that. The Souls games are revered for their combat and boss fights, and ER obviously delivers that in spades. But there’s nothing special about its open world. It’s just okay.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I'll agree with half of your claim, the world is "dead" lol. How do you think your Tarnished Tackle keeps coming back to life.

Also to the Op if you don't understand why Eldin Ring Open world is so incredible already nobody here is gonna convince you.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Botw felt as barren and dead as elden ring but not on purpose like the fromsoft game, a couple of cities with cardboards npcs barely doing anything didn't really changed the situation.

Having a good physics engine doesn't make the world feel any more alive tbh.

This is why ubisoft\rockstar formula is never gonna die, people love open world with cities, a lot of ncps doing stuff etc.

Putting botw and rdr2 in the same phrase made me chuckle, not gonna lie.

Last edited:

Success

I find it really odd that you can say Elden ring’s world is empty in the same breath as saying BoTW’s world is not empty. I mean, there is literally nothing in BoTW areas for miles. And there are about a dozen enemies in the whole game. And I like BoTW!

Very strange opinion.

Anyway, there is no one idea for what “open world” has to be. A lived in world like red dead 2 is one way, and that game did it impeccably.

Elden Ring’s take is a world that has been lived in and is basically dying. I’m playing these games with different expectations of what their idea of “open world” is.

Sounds to me like you want every open world to match your ideal of the idea. In that case, well, not to be mean, but go play a game that matches your taste.

And this thread is done.

This comment single handedly dismantles OP's argument.

Better luck next time at a troll thread OP.

Shut0wen

Pretty much my only gripe with the game, last high level half of the map has more to explore then the forst area but still not enough

They're going to say Red Dead 2 or GTA 4/5. I've already seen the future of this conversation. As a matter of fact, I already knew OP would bring up RDR 2 before opening the thread. It seems to be the go-to when arguing against any other open world game.
TW3
TES skyrim

RAIDEN1

OP this is how I felt about Metal Gear Solid 5....the reviews out there though were making it out to be the pinnacle of the series

Top Bottom