• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring - 1st round of Closed Network Test previews

iHaunter

Sekiro yes but Bloodborne is totally Souls game. Literally same game design, pacing, only change roll to quickstep ( and worse healing system). Hey weapon also very copy Dark souls. Hunter Axe is DS Axe+Harberd. I'm playing Elden and except for the tutorial area, the feel of game very different if compared to Dark souls. If you say Elden ring is not worthy of new ip then bloodborne is not worth it either.
Matter of opinion, I cannot disagree enough.

Buggy Loop

Makes perfect sense and fits into earlier theories about the game size. That would also mean the Erdtree is MASSIVE, much bigger than it seems and located in the middle. 🤯🤯🤯

This has got me hyped beyond any other gaming news. If it’s true, it’ll the GOAT

This has got me hyped beyond any other gaming news. If it’s true, it’ll the GOAT

Fextralife said in a video a few days ago that he believed the network test area was 1/12th to 1/15th of the total map. He didn't say where he got that from or if it was total speculation, though.

skneogaf

Dragonscale blade katana +3 is the best weapon in the test IMO. Too bad I discovered it after killing all the bosses but I had some awesome PvP and PvE today with it.

Have you guys seen the double spring from the beach all the way to the back to the starting point chapel? I want more of this.

I expect plenty of mobility upgrades for the tarnished like the sidestep. A magic double jump perhaps?

I wonder if the quick step is a medallion.

Bartski

Gold Member
Fextralife said in a video a few days ago that he believed the network test area was 1/12th to 1/15th of the total map. He didn't say where he got that from or if it was total speculation, though.
It's speculation based on all released materials, videos, and screenshots.

FROM revealed there are 6 lands with 6 demigods as your target.

All of the map shown in the gameplay trailer shows what seems like 2 of them, while the CNT covers between 1/3 and half the southern area leading to Stromvale and Godrick - your first "great rune".

1IxZ2bN.jpg

The main "dungeon" in the area above it to the north-west is most likely the "blue" castle "straight out of bloodborne" also shown in promos, in the middle of the forest valley.

Then there is the volcano/mountain place home to the thunder tossing dragon.
We've also seen screenshots of the "winter" place, that could be far up north. The "atumn" place, also seen in the gamepay trailer, might be part of the volcano area due to a similar palette - likely starting to the East of Lingrave also due to the corresponding color palette of the map.

Last edited:

Boneless

I noticed in gameplay video's it seems you can see glimpses of other players activities that show as spirits? Is this correct? Can't find anything on it.

FrankWza

No, only a bit of Sekiro.
That’s the one that didn’t have echoes or ghosts or whatever but basically, yes, they’re other players playing the game. There’s also bloodstains to show how other players died and pvp. I think Sekiro added ghosts later but way after launch.

S0ULZB0URNE

I didn't say that I got a key, but you can absolutely still go to the site, fill out the application, and get a security code sent back. Not sure why you'd think I'd lie about something so pointless lol
If you can't get a key why the pointless post?
Maybe I am missing something?

Bartski

Gold Member
FROM rubbing salt into the wound sending survey e-mails to declined entries, too bad as this will result in tons of shit faux feedback that will be hard to filter...

mZFIpUK.jpg

I did send mine tho, mentioned stuff about controls - we really need an option to disable gyro control on gestures since they're hard to cancel and they work under the main modifier (triange or Y) - got me killed twice mid-combat when triggered accidentally. FrankWza FrankWza swapping crouch with spell swap (L3 with d-pad up) works best for me and solves "clutch crouching".

Also, the game contains ALL of the worst PvP glitches and exploits from Dark Souls 3 but the uproar in the community is so big I'm sure they know already.

If you can't get a key why the pointless post?
Maybe I am missing something?
Lol they even screwed up and sent me an email asking for my feedback, even though I missed the cutoff to get a code. I never even got the denial email, just the feedback email. Still don't know why they kept the stupid site open.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Elden Ring's Network Test has wrapped up, and Dave Klein of DaveControl tackled the Elden Ring Network Test on PlayStation 5 to see if he could defeat every Elden Ring boss during the 3 hour time limit of 1 session. Not only that, but what Elden Ring secrets we could find just in this network test alone. Elden Ring releases February 25, 2022. Check out all the timestamps below for a glimpse at all the bosses that the Elden Ring Network Test had to offer.

1:41 - Limgrave
13:02 - Burial Tree Watchdog
17:05 - Beastman of Farum Azula
33:24 - Obtaining Ordovis' Greatsword and the Crucible Set
41:45 - Pumpkin Head
45:47 - Stormhill Statue Secret Item
49:27 - Flying Dragon Agheel
1:03:40 - Stonedigger Troll
1:09:58 - Bloody Finger Hunter Yura
1:20:37 - Grave Warden
1:23:51 - Bloody Finger Nerijus Invasion
1:27:02 - Spirit Tracks on the Beach
1:31:30 - Demi-Human Chief
1:35:48 - Church of Dragon Communion
1:40:42 - Bloodhound Knight Darriwil
1:44:33 - Tree Sentinel
1:50:21 - Margit the Fell Omen
1:55:34 - Stormveil Castle Route 1
1:58:35 - Many Armed Key Master
2:02:42 - Stormveil Castle Route 2
2:04:55 - Lion Guardian
2:12:50 - Soldier of Godrick
2:14:05 - Giant Flower
2:19:52 - Bridge Knight Battle
2:22:40 - Hidden NPC
2:29:04 - Spiritspring Fun

V4skunk

Banned
Ok, so I didn't realize that you could sign up for this test, and all the impressions I've seen have been from the same outlets that misled us all over Cyberpunk. My bad.
You should stfu praise the sun and just throw money at your monitor every time FromSoft and god Miyazaki make a Soulsborne.
At this point they could make a my little pony dating sim and I'm 100% all in because I have faith.

V4skunk

Banned
If this is really 1/12th of the map, I could see it taking 100 hours to explore everywhere. Could probably be done in a lot less than that overall, considering in 9 hours of exploring and grinding just this opening area I was nearly level 40 and all of my equipment was maxed. Presumably enemies would get more difficult as the game progresses, which would give you more runes and let you progress faster. So I suppose it just depends how much you want to take your time and explore things. 70 hours is a pretty safe bet though if you're being thorough.
No way it takes 70 hours unless you are reading a guide.
Blind Soulsborne 100% runs are 100+ hours.

FrankWza

No way it takes 70 hours unless you are reading a guide.
Blind Soulsborne 100% runs are 100+ hours.
After the test I’m kind of leaning towards this number. It’s going to be a 100+ Without a guide. I stumbled on a few things that were on my map and lost time trying to find my way towards the icon. A lot of that had to do with the invisible wall, but still. One thing is for sure, I really wanted to keep playing after the test was over. Horseback and open world adds so much to the game.
One thing I didn’t get to try out or discover were horse upgrades. Were there any in the test because I completely missed it if there was? That would be a cool feature

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Calling Elden Ring a hotly anticipated game would be something of an understatement. FromSoftware's upcoming action RPG might very well be one of the most anticipated games in recent memory, if not ever. Looking at what the fabled developer is concocting with its newest game, it's easy to see why people are so excited about it.

In fact, having spent several hours with the game thanks to its recent closed network test, we're convinced that it's going to live up to that anticipation, and then some. Here, we're going to go over our biggest takeaways from the Elden Ring network test.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Possible map? Not sure what the source is but if this is the map, then this guy are sick.
Somebody said it should resemble a circle. If true, even the picture you have posted wouldn't be all of it.

Edit: Found it.

z11zwkkwscz71.png

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Like Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro before it, Elden Ring is filled with secrets. Even within this small taste of the Elden Ring Network Test, there were plenty of Elden Ring Secrets to discover. So, join Dave Klein of DaveControl as he goes over some of his favorite Elden Ring secrets he was able to find.

0:00 - Intro
0:29 - Spirit Tracks
1:35 - Dragon Heart and Dragon Communion
3:46 - A Glint in the Rock
4:04 - Boc, the NPC
5:24 - Pumpkin Head

Sinthor

Gold Member
Possible map? Not sure what the source is but if this is the map, then this guy are sick.

dVerjdzoUIXcVulRRp69n5Oy.png
This just seems too small to me...for an 'open world' game at any rate. Read that each major section has it's own boss...so this would be what...only about 6 main bosses? Bottom line, I'm hoping this is half to maybe 1/3rd of the actual map we will get. Open world...needs to be a bunch of options on where you can go! I hope so, anyway!

Top Bottom