• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring - 1st round of Closed Network Test previews

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Graphics are actually much better than I expected. Sure textures may be higher res but overall design is excellent, animations are perfect. I wish a torch will actually cast shadows, but it's only me.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
what's "competitive" multiplayer? I'm not watching any more previews but maybe it was explained somewhere?

1j1F2Ku.jpg
XRnP6HQ.jpg
Xd2elUG.jpg
pb3bL57.jpg

Raven117

Staying dark other than to hear that the previews are glowing.

Mystery is the best part about these types of games.

After Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro (while both are good in their own way), I was a little burnt out....

This seems to be a fresh take on the formula.

Malachai

This quote here from Gamecentral,

Whether you’re a veteran of From’s work or looking to see what all the fuss is about for the first time, it’s certain that Elden Ring is going to be one of the best games of 2022. You might say that was always a given though and, as we’ve already suggested, the real question here is whether this ends up being one of the best games of all time.

Sentenza

Just noticed that I got my invite yesterday, but since there wasn't a PC option for the beta test I got one on the Pisstation 4 Pro, which is a fucking bummer frankly speaking.
It's also a FROM game so I'm expecting 15 fps on average.

Bartski

Gold Member
Just noticed that I got my invite yesterday, but since there wasn't a PC option for the beta test I got one on the Pisstation 4 Pro, which is a fucking bummer frankly speaking.
It's also a FROM game so I'm expecting 15 fps on average.
reported rock-solid 30 on launch PS4 with occasional dips

Mossybrew

These previews all seem very positive, they also all seem to more or less agree that this is definitely Souls combat and Souls difficulty, so probably not gonna be my thing.

Wooxsvan

it looks old from a technical perspective.
This looks like a game that having VRR will be a huge help. Calling it now, this will be pointed out during comparisons between SX and PS5. I have no faith for a rock solid 60 output from these guys.

it looks like Dark Souls 4

not hating on it. i'll be there day 1. With Bloodborne/Sekiro you could tell they were inspired by Souls but they had their own spin on it the formula. This straight up looks like Dark Souls but just a different name.

the game looks amazing and i can't wait to play it with Raytracing on PC. hopefully it won't be too long before a mod so we can play beyond the pathetically low 60fps.

Bartski

Gold Member
I watched the full Vaatividya video and I believe this is going to be the greatest videogame ever made.
I tried so hard not to but ended up watching some combat and mechanics breakdowns... The fact that skills are sort of a twist on weapon upgrade paths from earlier games, not just an "extra move" but have scaling dependencies, etc. and then you can freely switch them around when finding better gear just blows my mind. This is how you incentivize using a wide array of weaponry in a playthrough and alter playstyles, rather than sticking to a single weapon you managed to pump most titanite into I guess? Can't wait.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I dunno, I really don't. I should be more excited for this than I am.

The fundamentals look really good, but I find it all quite charmless and overly familiar for some reason.
Kind of feeling the same. What makes From games great is that they buck all the shitty trends and are completely original. Now we have a big open world Souls when I'm burned the hell out of the entire open world formula. It's been beaten to death.

GymWolf

Kind of feeling the same. What makes From games great is that they buck all the shitty trends and are completely original. Now we have a big open world Souls when I'm burned the hell out of the entire open world formula. It's been beaten to death.
I kinda had your problem but then i just thought that instead of having a 50 hours souls game, now i have a 100+ hours souls game to play.

I mean, it's not like exploring the open world in search for loot or secrets or bosses is gonna be as boring as in most open world games, level design and combat are still made by from.

I doubt that this is gonna be a Ubisoft type of open world, its probably gonna be far smaller and condensed.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
With Bloodborne/Sekiro you could tell they were inspired by Souls but they had their own spin on it the formula. This straight up looks like Dark Souls but just a different name.
Funny thing about this when Sekiro came out people absolutely shit on it because it wasn't "Souls" games they wanted now with Elden Ring people have problem because it much more like a "Souls" games.

Qaus3j7.gif

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Funny thing about this when Sekiro came out people absolutely shit on it because it wasn't "Souls" games they wanted now with Elden Ring people have problem because it much more like a "Souls" games.

Qaus3j7.gif
Wait, I have an idea. The people complaining about Sekiro can play Elden Ring and the people complaining about Elden Ring can play Sekiro.

Peace on earth.

Bartski

Gold Member
Ok i must be drunk or something because to me it looks perfectly fine graphically knowing from past games.

On pc is gonna look 2 times better as usual.
imo like everyone suspected before we've seen a single screenshot - Sekiro level graphics with plenty of tweaks. On an open-world scale! I think it looks incredible

Mr.ODST

Im trying to pull some connections to try and get a code :messenger_grinning_sweat:

So far loads of previews said its the best Beta / Demo a game has ever had and huge praise for its design.

GymWolf

I somehow imagined it having a more ornamented fancier look rather than something I could draw in windows Paint. I don't care really, DeS looked just as minimalistic and sterile and did the job which is the whole point.
I kinda like semplicity in the ui, readability is the most important thing in a game like this.

SZips

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Elajjaz's video here, so I'll add it:

30 minutes cut out of about 5 or so hours of his first gameplay experience.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
There is so much information to digest. Wow.

Seems much more complex than any From game as of yet. In many ways. Build variety will be nuts. Also quite a fast game, even on foot. The open world looks quite dense with lots of dungeons. Some of the smaller bosses die pretty quickly.

GymWolf

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Elajjaz's video here, so I'll add it:

30 minutes cut out of about 5 or so hours of his first gameplay experience.

Lol i remember this guy from the video he made about maldron in ds2 :lollipop_squinting:

Best troll npc from has ever made if you ask me.

iorek21

Seems like the jump from Dark Souls to Elden Ring is comparable to the jump from Arkham Asylum to Arkham Knight (or maybe City since it still had lots of linear dungeons unlike Knight).

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Some of the Ashes of War seem to be outright broken in terms of the damage they deal. Ridiculously OP! I don't like that and i hope they balance this better up until release. From what i have seen of these previews it seems that if you explore thorough and find some meaningful items and weapons you can make the game significantly easier. The open world is more semi open with nicely crafted landscapes that really feels lived in. This sure wont be an Ubisoft collectathon. I also think that the amount of optional content will be bigger than ever. You can miss so much it seems!

My biggest gripe is the difficulty which looks to be not hard from what i have seen. More than previous From Software games. I remember playing Bloodborne at gamescom prior to release and it was an easier build than the final game. So maybe it is the network test or i misjudged here. We will see. Overall i love what i have seen.

Top Bottom