• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring - 1st round of Closed Network Test previews

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
200.gif

I can already see the Elden Ring OT and how we share our knowledge while fighting through the game when there is not a lot of info to find on the web.

YukiOnna

Easy Allies' Brad had the best impressions since he kept spoilers to a minimum. I'm glad they're going the extra mile to keep the sense of discovery since pointers and constant reminder markers just make the world exhausting to explore.

Ashes of War reminds me of the Mushin Combat Arts in Sekiro and the poise break attacks sound like the counters in Bloodborne. Also, I hope the Samurai NPC is someone I can kill for his armor and weapon set or find it in the world since I don't want to be LOTR/Game of Thrones guy for the game.

Bartski

Gold Member
Easy Allies' Brad had the best impressions since he kept spoilers to a minimum. I'm glad they're going the extra mile to keep the sense of discovery since pointers and constant reminder markers just make the world exhausting to explore.

Ashes of War reminds me of the Mushin Combat Arts in Sekiro and the poise break attacks sound like the counters in Bloodborne. Also, I hope the Samurai NPC is someone I can kill for his armor and weapon set or find it in the world since I don't want to be LOTR/Game of Thrones guy for the game.
there was a leak a while ago where the guy knew the name of the boss (only now we know correct) that is at the very end of the CNT.
Spoke about all kinds of things like a number of weapon slots, talismans etc. I believe he said the "samurai" is a starting class (uchgatana+bow)

YukiOnna

there was a leak a while ago where the guy knew the name of the boss (only now we know correct) that is at the very end of the CNT.
Spoke about all kinds of things like a number of weapon slots, talismans etc. I believe he said the "samurai" is a starting class (uchgatana+bow)
Nice. Expanding on the kinds of builds you can do and the general roleplay setting is the best way to go for the next evolution of Dark Souls IMO.

Great Hair

Banned

Elden Ring's freeform exploration is liberating, but there sure is a lot of empty space.

I'm worried that freedom means we're going to see a lot less of FromSoftware's traditionally great level design, and that the open world is more filler than new play space.
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF
Super Mario Pixel GIF by dan.bahia.dan

Is this guy our long awaited messiah?! he speaking da truth?

U hef a box of Xses? Matsch deesaboynted in u ... no Pleistayschon? Feif?
Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News
GIF by NETFLIX

I goats it furrr a frennn! Miii still noe haz peee issss fife :(
200.gif
Sarcastic Not Me GIF by Travis
:p

Last edited:

Fake

I'm worried that freedom means we're going to see a lot less of FromSoftware's traditionally great level design, and that the open world is more filler than new play space.

lmao

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a big one. Join Game Informer's resident Souls expert Dan Tack, along with Marcus Stewart and Alex Stadnik, as they show off some brand new gameplay from Elden Ring, the hotly-anticipated open-world outing from masterminds behind Dark Souls.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
After watching some videos I'm totally reassured. In the single zone of the map available there's only one main obligatory boss (with amazing art) but many optional ones, mostly hidden, including the dragon. There's several dungeons, camps, encounters, some NPC, animals to hunt for crafting etc. It's not empty, and at the same time there's not a clutter of ? and ! on the map, you must carve your own way.
Combat feel like the best of DS, with dual wield, power stance, many weapons, spells, summons and so on. Mounted combat seem fun, with great animations and add new tactics.

I've always loved Fromsoft games since Demon's Souls, at first glance Elden Ring could feel like just more of the same but now I'm convinced it has its own feel and atmosphere, with some Shadow of the Colossus vibe among many things and lots of exploration and secrets.

Graphics wise, well i can't wait to play the Bluepoint remake in 10 years on PS7 ! ... I'm joking ^^ ; The art direction is awesome as always, this time it"s a bit more colorful with live wild animals.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
...no self-control whatsoever. Yep I think I have most of the CNT spoiled by now.

Enchanted Knight as a STR/INT hybrid class looks just perfect but it makes the game too easy by the sound of it... Also shame it's the only class you can cast spells, and buy new ones until very very late?

I guess I'm going with the warrior.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Game looks great. We all know it's going to be amazing, and I'm really looking forward to the openworld aspect.

My only complaint is the lack of original visual identity. If I didn't know this game existed, and somebody showed me the trailer and said it was Dark Souls 4, I would have believed them.

It just looks so much like Dark/Demon's Souls, but I wish it had an original style like the Steampunk of Bloodborne, or the Asian setting of Sekiro.

Besides that this game is a day one. It also pains me to say this as I don't want to purchase games and would prefer if they all came to Gamepass/PS Now day one, but I'm going to have to purchase this one.

cripterion

So this doesn't seem to feature the same CC of Demon Souls Remake? Just basing this on the few character faces (be it player or NPC) I could catch.

DavidGzz

Any footage of that cunt at the beginning getting murdered? The guy who says to go off and die in a ditch lol

loading after a death and the graphics pretty much look the same on PS4. Odd.

Last edited:

knguyen

This is the RPG that I've always wanted. Awesome combat, challenging foes and treasures, weapons that worth the risks. I recommend go into this game blinded, that will make every single discovery feesl amazing.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I hope there is a level 1 class in rags again. Foul Tarnished class in a g-string or bust. I don't want the OP looking armor and several spells to start. Make me work for the gains. Hnnnng/ 3.5 months.....FUUUU

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

netflix antonio GIF

join the party!

Gonna get my girlfriend to whisper ‘horseback riposte‘ into my ear later.

sircaw

Banned
Watched a couple of videos last night of the area's bosses and gameplay.

It looks just beyond fantastic.

I can not wait to see what other locations there are in the game.

Also, the horse combat, it adds a whole new level of fun and depth to the game.

Fans of Dark souls games have got it made.

Shtef

Has anyone reported on loading times for xbox series consoles? Are they using ssd for faster loading or its just brute force like previous games.

DavidGzz

Guys, if you have Dark Souls 3 on PC, get The Convergence mod. It's amazing and will help hold you over. It's honing my skills again so I'll be ready for ER.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Last edited:
Top Bottom