• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring - 1st round of Closed Network Test previews

Will multiplayer be more streamlined vs the previous games, or will it still rely on items to put down signs, and consumables?
Really hoping its menu driven (party up and join world) without consumable grinding...

Boneless

So far, the only people I've read who are cautious and feel that the world feels empty and bland are the folks over at PC Gamer. Not one, but THREE 'cautious' previews who sound disappointed with what they played.

Elden Ring hands-on: 6 things I liked, and 4 things I didn't | PC Gamer

The first Elden Ring boss I fought is so freaking weird I thought it was bugged | PC Gamer

After 10 hours with Elden Ring, I'm not sold on the open world | PC Gamer

Here at PCgamer, we take making clickbait titles seriously.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I will do my part and don't click those links
DrH5fjz.gif

GymWolf

Watched some footage...the fact that a fucking internet beta test demo has more normal enemies and boss variety than like 80% of complete and already released open world games is nothing short of astonishing...

This is why we have the same animations and sound effects, from devs probably use all their times to fill the game with content...

No seriously, i saw at least 10 different bosses and like 25+ normal enemies already? and this is a limited part of the map with half of a single legacy dungeon...

Edit: fextralife says that what he played is 1/12 of the complete map:pie_open_mouth:

Last edited:
Watched some footage...the fact that a fucking internet beta test demo has more normal enemies and boss variety than like 80% of complete and already released open world games is nothing short of astonishing...

This is why we have the same animations and sound effects, from devs probably use all their times to fill the game with content...

No seriously, i saw at least 10 different bosses and like 25+ normal enemies already? and this is a limited part of the map with half of a single legacy dungeon...
Yep it's crazy lol. The amount of weapon arts and spells is off the charts as well and they look really creative as well.

I am almost wondering if you could have too many boss fights lol. Like are they gonna feel significant and memorable if you encounter one everytime you trip over a fence?!

Hopefully not most of them have looked pretty cool to fight so far. Regardless its a good problem to have.

Anyway I am beyond hyped for this. I am just left wondering how there gonna top this!?

Prediction time this is going to be the best selling 3rd party Japanese game ever?!

It will definitely be second the question is if it can beat monster hunter world which is over 20 million now. Unless I am missing anything else?

GymWolf

Yep it's crazy lol. The amount of weapon arts and spells is off the charts as well and they look really creative as well.

I am almost wondering if you could have too many boss fights lol. Like are they gonna feel significant and memorable if you encounter one everytime you trip over a fence?!

Hopefully not most of them have looked pretty cool to fight so far. Regardless its a good problem to have.

Anyway I am beyond hyped for this. I am just left wondering how there gonna top this!?
With bloodborne 2 open world? :lollipop_squinting:

Fake

This is art.

So far, the only people I've read who are cautious and feel that the world feels empty and bland are the folks over at PC Gamer. Not one, but THREE 'cautious' previews who sound disappointed with what they played.

Elden Ring hands-on: 6 things I liked, and 4 things I didn't | PC Gamer

The first Elden Ring boss I fought is so freaking weird I thought it was bugged | PC Gamer

After 10 hours with Elden Ring, I'm not sold on the open world | PC Gamer

I can't say for sure, but I guess PC Gamer is trying to tell us something.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I can already see the Elden Ring OT and how we share our knowledge while fighting through the game when there is not a lot of info to find on the web.
Some psycho will beat the game in like 2 days and there will be info really fast. Plus they do strat guides for all these games.
I have been trying to log into it all day, but it keeps telling me the server is down for maintenance.
First session is in 11 hours

Portugeezer

It's what FROM have been working towards. Slowly but surely, the masterpiece has been molded.

Too bad you can't climb everything like BOTW; garbage game confirmed.

Duchess

I wasn't all that interested in this game until I watched some of the footage of people playing it. Going to give it a shot sometime, so long as my reactions can keep up (ageing as a gamer sucks).

"Oh, a message just popped up. Hmm, let me find my readers ... where did I put them? Oh, silly me, they're on top of my head, for safe keeping. Right, what's this message say ...? You died. Hmm."

cormack12

Gold Member
Might as well use it, did we sign an NDA anywhere when signing up to not share stuff? Buried in the T&C etc that we never read?

Bartski

Gold Member
Might as well use it, did we sign an NDA anywhere when signing up to not share stuff? Buried in the T&C etc that we never read?
Didn't read it, but according to the FAQ earlier neither streaming nor screenshots are allowed. That pixel-ID tech is real so I'm not taking chances, but I am recording myself via OBS so I may share some of it next week.

Bartski

Gold Member
My source are my eyes, the few streams on PS4 have bad framepacing. Soon you will watch technical videos about this.
You were right on that one.

Base ps4 performance analysis:

Loading times 15-22 secs, 30 fps cap stable most of the time, frame pacing problem identical to earlier games.

Still overall seems to run crazy good in regards to LOD and draw distance. I hope a similar analysis of PS5 performance mode is soon to follow.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
From watching some previews, magic seems OP as fuck. Like basically there's never any good reason to try to kill a boss using melee, unless you want to intentionally make things a lot more difficult for yourself. Maybe this is their way to try to make the game more accessible for newcomers while still giving veterans an option to make the game "Souls hard", but I would prefer if things were more balanced than they are looking at the moment. If every boss can be easily cheesed from a distance with spells, where's the achievement in that?

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member

Manual in English (actually big part of what was released yesterday in Japanese, it's missing the multiplayer chapter)

Game Interface​

game_screen

When the HUD display setting is set to Auto, the HUD will automatically be hidden, except for the compass. Press the [△/Y] button to temporarily display and check the HUD.

HP Gauge

Current HP (life force). It decreases as you take damage, and you die when it reaches 0.

HP can regenerate by resting at a site of grace, using the flask of crimson tears, or reading incantations.

FP Gauge

The power to stay focused in order to use skills and sorcery. It decreases as you use skills and sorcery, and it becomes ineffective when it reaches zero.

FP can regenerate by resting at a site of grace or using the flask of cerulean tears.

Stamina Gauge

This is your current stamina. When it reaches zero, you won’t be able to perform any further actions that consume stamina. Stamina automatically regenerates as time passes. Stamina is not consumed while in a non-combat state.

Status Icons

When a special effect is active, such as an ability boost, the corresponding status icon will be displayed.

Compass

Displays the direction. The location of runes that are dropped when you die and landmarks will also be displayed.

Enemy HP

The enemy’s HP (life force).

Lock-on Marker

Press the [R3/R] button to lock onto a nearby enemy as a target. You can change targets using the right stick.

Currently Available Skills

This displays the currently available skills.

Equipment Slot

The icon of the currently equipped weapon, sorcery, or item will be displayed.

Currently Selected Sorcery

This is the currently selected sorcery. It cannot be used unless a catalyst has been equipped.

Currently Selected Left-Hand Weapon

This is the weapon that is currently equipped in the left hand.

Currently Selected Item

This is the currently selected item and the next item to be displayed.

Currently Selected Right-Hand Weapon

This is the weapon that is currently equipped in the right hand.

Action Dialog

The corresponding action will be displayed here.

It indicates how long it will take for you to change to and from an abnormal state. A list of abnormal states can be found below

Player’s State Gauge

• Poison: If you are in a poisoned state, you will take continuous damage.
  • Red Rot: If you are in a state of red rot, you will take continuous damage.
  • Hemorrhage: If you are in hemorrhaging, you will take a large amount of damage relative to your maximum HP.
  • Frostbite: If you are in a state of frostbite, you will take damage and become frostbitten for a while. While frostbitten, you will take increased damage from other sources.
  • Sleep: If you are in a state of sleep, you will become drowsy. Weaker characters will fall asleep entirely.
  • Madness: If you are in a state of madness, you will go mad and lose a great deal of both HP and FP.
  • Death: If you are in a state of death, you will be struck down instantly.
Possessed Runes

The number of runes you currently have.

Game Environment​

Runes

Runes can be obtained by defeating enemies or using items. Runes are used to level up your character, buy items, and strengthen weapons and armor.

Site of Grace

In this world, there are a rest points called sites of grace

grace

Resting at a site of grace will restore your HP, FP, and heal any status ailments. It will also refill all of your sacred flasks. Most of the enemies you've defeated will be revived when you rest at a site of grace.

• How to Use a site of Grace
Approach the site of grace and press the [△/Y] button to activate it.
From here, pressing the [△/Y] button will bring up the menu and let you rest.
Sites of grace that you haven't reached yet emit rays of light.

• Site of Grace Menu
    The site of grace menu is available while resting.
    The selections available will change as the story progresses.
    • Pass Time: Move time forward in the game
    • Level Up: Enhance your character’s stats
    • Add Charge to Flask: Increase the number of times you can use the flask
    • Increase Amount Replenished by Flasks: Enhance the flask’s restorative effect
    • Distribute Flask Charges: Allocate the number of charges for your sacred flasks
    • Memorize Spell: Equip magic you have learned in the memory slots to use it in the game. The number of slots available depends on your character’s status
    • Mix Wondrous Physick: Mix acquired crystal tears to customize the effects of Flask of Wondrous Physick
    • Sort Chest: Store items in or remove items from the chest

Sites of grace that you already discovered will be saved on the map. Select the site of grace you want to travel to on the map, and you will move to that location. You cannot travel while in some dungeons.

ELden Ring site of grace

Guidance of Grace

The light emanating from some sites of grace gives a hint as to where you may want to go next.

The guidance of grace can also be found in the map menu.

guidance of grace

Summoning

When a rebirth monument is nearby and a monument icon is shown on the left side of the screen, you can use ashes to summon a spirit.

The summoned spirit will leave when its HP reaches zero, when a boss is defeated, when the spirit moves a certain distance away from the monument, or when the same ashes are used again.

Only one type of spirit can be summoned at a time, and spirits cannot be summoned during multiplayer.

buddy summoning

Stakes of Marika

Upon dying, you will be revived at the last site of grace at which you rested. However, if you died near a Stake of Marika, you can choose to be revived there instead.

You can confirm if you are in the area of effect of a stake of Marika by checking if the status icon (bow and arrow icon) appears.

marika’s replay point

Spectral Steed

Use the Spectral Steed Whistle to summon a spectral steed to ride.

If the spectral steed dies it can be summoned again, but it will consume a flask of crimson tears.

Map

You can see your current location, terrain, buildings, and other information. Markers and landmarks can be placed on the map.

You can also go to a site of grace that you have discovered from the map menu.

You can’t open the map when you are engaged in battle.

Birdseye Telescope

Use the birdseye telescopes in each area to see into the distance like a bird and get a better view of your destination..

bird’s-eye scope

Death

A character dies when their HP reaches zero.

When you die, all the runes you are carrying will be dropped. You can retrieve them by going back to the location of your death. If you die again before retrieving them, they will be lost.

Basic Actions​

Movement

• Walk/Run
The player moves in the direction you tilt the left stick. Tilt it slightly to walk, or tilt it fully to run.

• Dash
Hold down the [⭘/B] button and tilt the left stick to dash. This consumes the stamina gauge.

Pressing the [R1/RB] button while dashing will turn it into a dash attack.

• Roll
If you press the [⭘/B] button while tilting the left stick, the player will roll in that direction.

Rolling is also useful when you want to avoid enemy attacks.

• Jump
Press the [✖/A] button to jump. If you jump while dashing, you can jump farther.

• Step Back
Pressing the [⭘/B] button while the left stick is neutral will cause you to step back quickly. Pressing the [R1] button after stepping back will turn it into a dash attack.

• Crouch
Press the [L3/L] button to crouch and hide. It is more effective if you crouch in the grass.

When your enemy is unaware, your first attack will cause more damage.

• Climb Ladders
Approach a ladder and press the [△/Y] button to get on it and use the left stick to go up or down. Pressing the [⭘/B] button while going up or down will let you climb/descend quickly, and pressing the [⭘/B] button twice quickly will make you let go of the ladder and fall.

Battling Enemies: Attack/Defense Basics​

When you encounter an enemy in the game, the enemy will attack you.

Elden Ring fighting enemy

• Locking onto Targets
Pressing the [R3/R] button will lock the target onto a nearby enemy. While a target is locked on, you can change targets using the right stick.

When a target is locked, the target will always remain in front of you.

• Right-Hand Weapon Action
Press the [R1/RB] / [R2/RT] buttons to attack with the weapon equipped in your right hand.

• Left-Hand Weapon Action
Press the [L1/LB] / [L2/LT] buttons to attack with the weapon equipped in your left hand.

You can equip a shield in your left hand and press [L1/LB] to guard with it.
You can also use your weapon’s skill by pressing the [L2/LT] button when the weapon is two-handed or a shield with a skill is equipped.

attack defense

• Switch Between One-Handed and Two-Handed
While holding down the [△/Y] button, press the [R1/RB] / [R2/RT] buttons to switch the right-hand weapon and the [L1/LB] / [L2/LT] buttons to switch the left-hand weapon to two-handed. If you hold the weapon with both hands, you won’t be able to use the weapon you were holding in the other hand, but the attack will be more powerful and it will be easier to break the opponent’s guard.

Use Your Skills

Press [L2/LT] while holding a two-handed weapon to activate the skill set for that weapon.

Depending on the skill, you can perform various derivative attacks by pressing the [R1/RB] / [R2/RT] / [L2/LT] buttons, as well.

If your left hand is empty (or if certain special weapons are equipped) you may not need to switch to a two-handed grip to activate the skill of the weapon in your right hand.

A portion of the FP gauge is consumed each time a skill is used. When the FP gauge reaches zero, you cannot use any more skills.

Skills can be changed by changing ashes. The type of ashes you can carry is determined by the weapon type.

skills

Parry

Equip a shield in your left hand with the parry skill and press the [L2/LT] button to repel enemy melee attacks.

You can create critical hit opportunities by parrying.

Some enemies won’t have their stance broken with a single parry.

Elden Ring parry

Situational Options

• Switching Equipment
You can use the equipment menu to switch equipment. Use the ← key to change the left-hand armament, the → key to change the right-hand armament, the ↑ key to change sorcery/incantation, and the ↓ key to switch items.

Items (or magic) will jump to the first slot by holding down the ↑ (or ↓) directional button.

• Using Items
Press the [☐/X] button to use an equipped item.

Advanced Guide: Special Attacks​

Special Attacks

• Jump Attacks
While jumping, press [R1/RB] / [R2/RT] to perform a jump attack. The jump attack can easily break the enemy’s stance, and you can also aim to make a mounted enemy fall.

Elden Ring jump attack

• Falling Attack
While falling, press [R1/RB] / [R2/RT] to attack enemies from above.

• Ladder Attack
While going up or down a ladder, press [R1/RB] to attack the enemies above you, and [R2/RT] to attack the enemies below you.

• Guard Counter
Pressing the [R2/RT] button immediately after guarding against an enemy attack will create a guard counterattack that can easily break the enemy’s stance.

• Two-Sword Attack
Pressing the [L1/LB] button when both hands are equipped with a weapon of the same category will trigger a special attack.

Elden Ring two swords attacks

• Critical Hit
A critical hit is an attack that causes massive damage to the enemy. Pressing the [R1/RB] button after parrying, when behind an enemy, or against a fallen enemy will cause a critical hit. Some enemies can’t be parried, and some enemies can’t be struck with a critical hit even if you are behind them.

critical hit

• Using Magic and Incantations
If you want to use magic or incantations, you need to equip the corresponding catalyst (staff or seal). You will also need to have FP to use them. After selecting the magic or incantation you want to use by pressing the ↑ key, press the [R1/RB] button (right-hand equipped) or [L1/LB] button (left-hand equipped) to use it.

Elden Ring magic incatation

• Magic/Incantation Memory
The magic/incantations you obtain can be used by memorizing them at a site of grace via the Memorize Spell option.

Attacking with a Bow Weapon

Bow weapons can be used when equipped with arrows and bolts. There are two types of bow weapons — bows and crossbows — and each has a specific type of arrow that can be used.

When two types of arrows or bolts are equipped, press [R1/RB] to shoot the arrow equipped to the first slot, and [R2/RT] to shoot the arrow equipped to the second one.

• Precision Aiming
Press the [L1/LB] button while holding the bow to enter precision aiming mode. While in precision aiming mode, use the ↑ key to zoom in and the down ↓ key to zoom out.

elden ring bow attack

Mounting Action

• Mounting
You can use the spectral steed whistle to summon a spectral steed. You cannot summon it in some areas or dungeons.

If the spectral steed dies, it can be summoned again by consuming a flask of crimson tears.

• Dismounting
You can get down from a mount using the [L3/L] button or the spectral steed whistle while riding. If you do this while moving, you’ll be able to jump off.

• Walk/Run
The player moves in the direction you tilt the left stick. Tilt it slightly to walk, or tilt it fully to run.

• Dash
Hold down the [⭘/B] button and tilt the left stick to dash.

• Jump
Press the [✖/A] button to jump. Press the [✖/A] button twice to double jump.

• Spirit Spring Jump
oWhen on horseback near a spirit spring, press the [✖/A] button to ride its current high into the air.

You won't take damage from jumping into a spirit spring while on horseback, even from a great height.

spirit stream jump

That’s all for now! With these tips, you should now be able to make a great start in the game and enjoy the basics of the combat system.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Bit late but here goes after watching loads of play throughs.

Looks absolutely incredible, kinda like Skyrim and soulsbourne had a hook up on tinder and 9 months later this was the result. I have zero doubts this will be the biggest hitter next year all other games releasing near this might as well delay because they ain’t getting a sniff with this.

Just take my money already!!

Also fuck I need a new TV and a ps5 😬 I ain’t playing this at 1080p this deserves to be played in 4K.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This starts in 10 minutes, right?

rofif

Banned
I think a male b female?
yeah I think so but cmon. Japanese are crazy now too?
Why not just give me an image or say Male, female.... there is no c,d,e,f,g.
It's not like it matters at all. it's just looks and animations

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Day one, obviously.

But not really digging the mounted combat. Looks a bit shit.
Same here, enjoyed everything aside the mounted combat. Spent most of the time running in circles and missing attacks.

cormack12

Gold Member
Performance is rough as fuck in my opinion, bit all over the place. And the lod swapping in the background gives me flashbacks of AC:Unity in Paris. Managed to beat the mini boss in the cave first attempt near the wolves. Horse guy is too buff so I'm trying various things like blocking or parrying to see what works with him. Horse combat is basically whiffing: the game.

It's not as intuitive knowing when to level up or where. Like those giant things are really tough and strong. I guess I have to level a few times but there's not that much to level from. A few soldiers etc. Also hit what I assume are the upper limits on the area near the horse jump. Not sure the open world is gelling with me at the moment, I think more expansive area's in the traditional design would have been better. I'm intrigued but it's not a day one for me based on this.

Went Bloody Wolf for info.

skit_data

Enchanted knight seems to have exactly the type of build I usually make in these games, except I usually have a Ultra Greatsword.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Played for about an hour, performance sucks on PS5, typical From Soft jank, and Bloodborne looks better.

That said, will pre-order and play the hell out of it.

Top Bottom