• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring - 1st round of Closed Network Test previews

Tschumi

tbh, i was expecting a lot more than what i see, i'm pro-from software and everything, i just thought this'd blow my mind a tad more

i like how it seems to have a bit of that witcher 3 feeling of a wartorn medieval realm kinda going on, but i don't like the way the grass and bushes don't interact, and stuff like that... i makes it feel like a dark souls reskin - mechanically speaking at least... i mean, i've played enough such games, wanted something a little more interesting, like sekiro

It's Really weird that he could meditate at a campfire 3 meters from a wandering miniboss and suddenly meet a chick at nighttime

still i'll probably play it one day on my series S

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
tbh, i was expecting a lot more than what i see, i'm pro-from software and everything, i just thought this'd blow my mind a tad more

still i'll probably play it one day on my series S
Dark Souls and Bloodborne had variations in gameplay, but the dodge roll was always the king, Sekiro changed it up and made the games feel fresh and new again, but with Elden Ring it seems stuff like magic, crafting and the world itself will be the selling point rather than gameplay. I hope it's enough, or it's gonna feel too similar to the old games again.

They are a bit hurt by Demon's Souls though, that game looks breathtaking and loads in a split second, Elden Ring can't match its technical chops at all and it's very evident.

But the bosses and the combat still look brilliant, and who knows what sort of areas you will travel to or how all the new crafting and items will play out.

So I’m not watching anything because I want to avoid spoiling too much, but I keep seeing people say the game has Powerstance like DS2. Can anyone confirm? Because I much preferred that to DS3’s take on dual wielding.

FrankWza

The two giants pulling the crate can be killed and there’s some armor and a sword in the chest that you can’t open unless they’re killed. Basically didn’t bother trying to fight them after that because I realized how many hits it takes to get them down.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I enjoyed the game play as it really does feel like open world hybrid of dark souls and sekiro.

The frame rate and frame time problems on the playstation 5 is not good.

Also I absolutely hate that crouch is the usual left stick click in as I can't help but constantly press it in tense fights.

FrankWza

Played for about an hour, performance sucks on PS5, typical From Soft jank, and Bloodborne looks better.

That said, will pre-order and play the hell out of it.
I didn’t have any performance issues aside from some floating messages and one guard that was stuck on some spikes

FrankWza

The frame rate and frame time problems on the playstation 5 is not good.
Shit. You and Pedro Motta Pedro Motta said the same. I had a giant and a few guards at the tunnel entrance to the castle and not even a hiccup. There was a lot happening on screen because he was destroying shit while I ran.
Also I absolutely hate that crouch is the usual left stick click in as I can't help but constantly press it in tense fights.
this is an issue. I wish the allowed you to remap. Bartski Bartski mentioned/called this in the other thread yesterday.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played for the full 3 hours, had a good time even though I died a bunch.
  • Horse combat is terrible but like most things with these games, it takes a while to really get the hang of it
  • I went with a total strength build and found some really good armor. Tanking all day every day.
  • I fought and defeated two of the bosses (mini-bosses?). Flashed up the "foe vanquished" banner, so seemed like a big deal.
  • Got to a third boss, but didn't beat him - probably not strong enough / not high enough level.
  • At the end of the time frame, I just started farming the big dudes on horseback and their wolves. Seems like massive amounts of XP / souls / runes.
  • Game ran incredibly smooth on my Series X, very impressed.
  • Game looked amazing on my 77 inch C1 OLED.
  • I leveled up to 21 before getting disconnected.
  • I kept getting frustrated with the demo's "invisible walls", which I'm assuming won't be a thing in the full release.
  • Fall damage is... weird. It's like, all or nothing. You can fall from pretty high up and take zero damage. Then you can fall from slightly higher and die on impact.
  • The horse can double-jump, which is super handy for getting places. You cannot, however, negate above mentioned fall damage by double jumping before you hit the ground.
Overall, pretty stoked for this. I had kind of written it off initially, because I keep buying / playing Souls games and I keep getting so frustrated with them that I give up. A good friend of mine passed me a beta code and I thought "why not". Then set my alarm to wake up at 2:30am to play it lol. Glad I did.

Last edited:

FrankWza

You can remap but I couldn't think of different way as all buttons were needed.

If I played on ps4 I'd buy that attachment thing for the back and see if I could use that.
I’ll look later. I didn’t get to see the settings beforehand and I didn’t want to mess around and lose playtime. Can you remap to triangle? That might be the one button you can afford to accidentally press and not get in trouble or waste resources.

I have back buttons installed on my dualsense so I’ll see if that helps with a remap. It’s nice having action and jump available without taking your hands off the sticks for this game. But it doesnt disable anything else.

Bartski

Gold Member
It's straight-up AMAZING, now I'm literally obsessed and can't wait to get up at 3:30 am for the next round. WOW.

Did you guys get the cutscene with Milena immediately? I didn't rest on the first site of grace or something and as result, I played almost the whole thing without leveling and on foot.

This thing is HUGE, slightly overwhelming even. And it's 7 gigs, the full game is 50. What?? I got the steed only last 30 mins and now I can really see how big it is... Just Wow.

btw RUN is in the game, hold circle despite what the manual is saying. Not sure what's up with that. Another thing - I couldn't dash somehow at all. What am I doing wrong there? Backstep and roll work same way as always...
  • Dash
Hold down the [⭘/B] button and tilt the left stick to dash.

The Warrior can't cast spells at all at this point so it didn't feel easy, quite on the contrary at times I was getting wrecked. I managed to beat one cave mini boss and have seen maybe 1/4 of the map, spent 3 hours just fucking around fighting trash mobs and parrying horsemen, feels soooooo good. Twinblade rocks. So is the bow, but I hope to find a catalyst eventually so I can also start casting just because it looks so good.

I'm in a bit of a shock tbh.

Now performance wise I've seen some dips. The game loaded and after giving control dropped to 10 fps for a minute and then kicked me out from the server... So a rough start but after re-logging, it was all smooth.
They did improve it a ton, enemies are loaded and seen much further into the distance which was always a big issue in earlier games. I've seen no bugs except some message stones floating in the air.

But yes all of the expected FROM jank is there, poor collision, LOD fades in the distance present but less than I expected, some pop in. None of it matters.

Right now IMO it's just the best thing ever and really is the absolute culmination of what this studio had achieved in the last decade.

Bartski

Gold Member
same here, yeah I used to re-map it in Sekiro but there doesn't seem to be a function you could "safely" put there, like in that case was eavesdropping. I didn't even check if the game allows re-mapping.
Also I couldn't dash, wassup with that?

skneogaf

It's straight-up AMAZING, now I'm literally obsessed and can't wait to get up at 3:30 am for the next round. WOW.

Did you guys get the cutscene with Milena immediately? I didn't rest on the first site of grace or something and as result, I played almost the whole thing without leveling and on foot.

This thing is HUGE, slightly overwhelming even. And it's 7 gigs, the full game is 50. What?? I got the steed only last 30 mins and now I can really see how big it is... Just Wow.

btw RUN is in the game, hold circle despite what the manual is saying. Not sure what's up with that. Another thing - I couldn't dash somehow at all. What am I doing wrong there? Backstep and roll work same way as always...

The Warrior can't cast spells at all at this point so it didn't feel easy, quite on the contrary at times I was getting wrecked. I managed to beat one cave mini boss and have seen maybe 1/4 of the map, spent 3 hours just fucking around fighting trash mobs and parrying horsemen, feels soooooo good. Twinblade rocks. So is the bow, but I hope to find a catalyst eventually so I can also start casting just because it looks so good.

I'm in a bit of a shock tbh.

Now performance wise I've seen some dips. The game loaded and after giving control dropped to 10 fps for a minute and then kicked me out from the server... So a rough start but after re-logging, it was all smooth.
They did improve it a ton, enemies are loaded and seen much further into the distance which was always a big issue in earlier games. I've seen no bugs except some message stones floating in the air.

But yes all of the expected FROM jank is there, poor collision, LOD fades in the distance present but less than I expected, some pop in. None of it matters.

Right now IMO it's just the best thing ever and really is the absolute culmination of what this studio had achieved in the last decade.

I was worried about the LOD changing before my eyes and it definitely does although 99 percent better than dark souls 3 Lod issues.

skneogaf

same here, yeah I used to re-map it in Sekiro but there doesn't seem to be a function you could "safely" put there, like in that case was eavesdropping. I didn't even check if the game allows re-mapping.

I wasn't aware of the dash so I'll look to do that next time, how many hours, minutes and seconds do I need to wait for until I can play again?

FrankWza

I see you figured out the dash. I found the dash and the backstab a little too hit or miss. After DeS remake the backstabs here took a step back. Too inconsistent.

btw RUN is in the game, hold circle despite what the manual is saying. Not sure what's up with that.
I know they had to do it because it’s open world but thank god it isn’t tied to stamina.

also, with the horseback fighting, are you able to use the thrust move and does it make horse battles any better?

Bartski

Gold Member
I see you figured out the dash. I found the dash and the backstab a little too hit or miss. After DeS remake the backstabs here took a step back. Too inconsistent.

I know they had to do it because it’s open world but thank god it isn’t tied to stamina.

also, with the horseback fighting, are you able to use the thrust move and does it make horse battles any better?
didn't manage to fight on horseback yet, just got the mount by the very end. About the dash - I see what the manual says but it just doesn't work or something? Doesn't seem to depend on the lock on either. Really weird and especially painful as I'm playing a melee character.

Pedro Motta

I didn’t have any performance issues aside from some floating messages and one guard that was stuck on some spikes
A lot of stutters, pop in, and huge framerate drops. Especially in an area that there was a lake..I think it tanked to the 40's.
Disappointed on a tech level, but still very playable and I will have a blast with the game.

FrankWza

A lot of stutters, pop in, and huge framerate drops. Especially in an area that there was a lake..I think it tanked to the 40's.
Disappointed on a tech level, but still very playable and I will have a blast with the game.
The one with the giant crabs that was near the wagon pulled by 2 giants?

Last edited:

tommib

I stopped after 1 hour because I was having multiple orgasms and I want to experience the final game and not this tantric dick pull out massive tease.

I did very little combat and was just running everywhere to see the world killing all animals that were on my path. I ended up at the beach, looked up the ravines and my head exploded with the possibilities that the game is offering.

See you all back in February but I’m out for now. Just booked 2 weeks off work.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Played for the full 3 hours, had a good time even though I died a bunch.
  • Horse combat is terrible but like most things with these games, it takes a while to really get the hang of it
  • I went with a total strength build and found some really good armor. Tanking all day every day.
  • I fought and defeated two of the bosses (mini-bosses?). Flashed up the "foe vanquished" banner, so seemed like a big deal.
  • Got to a third boss, but didn't beat him - probably not strong enough / not high enough level.
  • At the end of the time frame, I just started farming the big dudes on horseback and their wolves. Seems like massive amounts of XP / souls / runes.
  • Game ran incredibly smooth on my Series X, very impressed.
  • Game looked amazing on my 77 inch C1 OLED.
  • I leveled up to 21 before getting disconnected.
  • I kept getting frustrated with the demo's "invisible walls", which I'm assuming won't be a thing in the full release.
  • Fall damage is... weird. It's like, all or nothing. You can fall from pretty high up and take zero damage. Then you can fall from slightly higher and die on impact.
  • The horse can double-jump, which is super handy for getting places. You cannot, however, negate above mentioned fall damage by double jumping before you hit the ground.
Overall, pretty stoked for this. I had kind of written it off initially, because I keep buying / playing Souls games and I keep getting so frustrated with them that I give up. A good friend of mine passed me a beta code and I thought "why not". Then set my alarm to wake up at 2:30am to play it lol. Glad I did.

How the fuck did you get to level 21? I was level 9 and struggling for things to kill except massive things (those wandering giants etc). Honestly felt like there was a gap because there wasn't much to kill but I definitely needed to be higher to kill a few of those giants. I could take one down after a war of attrition but it just wasn't worth it.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm really curious about what Miyazaki said in one of post-SGF interviews, that Elden Ring takes about 30 hours to complete.

More like 300 hours by the looks of it.

Sorne

Now, I'm not gonna read the article in case of spoilers, but I'm hoping he's just talking about blasting through the "main path" in the game. By that logic, Bloodborne would be same length or shorter even. And now there's the open world aspect as well, ofc.

Bartski

Gold Member
Now, I'm not gonna read the article in case of spoilers, but I'm hoping he's just talking about blasting through the "main path" in the game. By that logic, Bloodborne would be same length or shorter even. And now there's the open world aspect as well, ofc.

If you compare the Map we got to play in the Network Test with that shown by Bandai Namco Gameplay Reveal, you’ll begin to realize that the demo isn’t 1/6th of the game. It’s actually far more likely to be 1/12th of the game, which I absolutely cannot begin to wrap my mind around. I spent nearly 70 hours exploring every inch of the Network Test, and I know there is still more things there that I have not seen!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How the fuck did you get to level 21? I was level 9 and struggling for things to kill except massive things (those wandering giants etc). Honestly felt like there was a gap because there wasn't much to kill but I definitely needed to be higher to kill a few of those giants. I could take one down after a war of attrition but it just wasn't worth it.
Those big dudes on horseback give you like 150 souls (or runes, or whatever they're called), and the horses they're on give you another like 20 or 30. The wolves that are near them give you 50-something. I had a pretty good circuit going where I could loop around and take out 3 riders, 3 non-riders, and 12 wolves. After pumping all my points into strength, and getting the weapon from the moving caravan chest, I could take the big guys out in 3 hits and the wolves out in 1 hit. I could do it all on horseback so it was pretty speedy, then loop back around to the campfire thing and do it all over again. Yielded about 1,600 souls per round trip. I started doing this about level 10. Even at level 21, I only needed like 3,000 souls to level up again which was two trips around my loop.

skneogaf

Those big dudes on horseback give you like 150 souls (or runes, or whatever they're called), and the horses they're on give you another like 20 or 30. The wolves that are near them give you 50-something. I had a pretty good circuit going where I could loop around and take out 3 riders, 3 non-riders, and 12 wolves. After pumping all my points into strength, and getting the weapon from the moving caravan chest, I could take the big guys out in 3 hits and the wolves out in 1 hit. I could do it all on horseback so it was pretty speedy, then loop back around to the campfire thing and do it all over again. Yielded about 1,600 souls per round trip. I started doing this about level 10. Even at level 21, I only needed like 3,000 souls to level up again which was two trips around my loop.
You'd have been better if you bought the 83" C1 instead of the 77".

Oh well!

Bartski

Gold Member
I feel the parry window is much more lenient than it was in DS.

As opposed to Sekiro and BB, I always sucked at parrying in Dark Souls and never really used it much as a strat not worth the risk. I'm happy to see it making a return and working for me. Too bad there is no time to experiment which attacks are parryable and which aren't.

Can you parry a spear thrust from that large armored dude in the fort in front of the gate guarded by the giant? I tried, didn't end well.

Not sure when the post-block posture-breaking R2 works the way it should, sometimes it lands while other times enemies just follow up with another attack and hit me.

Romulus

Hot take. But this looks like a ps3 game 75% of the time. There are some times of day where the lighting hits just right and it looks like a ps4 game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hot take. But this looks like a ps3 game 75% of the time. There are some times of day where the lighting hits just right and it looks like a ps4 game.
this looks like upgraded Dark Souls 3. Which came out on ps4.
Dark souls 1 and 2 is ps3.

I personally think it looks fantastic. Even better than already state of the art dark souls 3

Romulus

this looks like upgraded Dark Souls 3. Which came out on ps4.
Dark souls 1 and 2 is ps3.

I personally think it looks fantastic. Even better than already state of the art dark souls 3

Those games pale in comparison to bloodborne, which is an early ps4 game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It looks rough on ps4 yeah, at least the art direction is a positive there.

Can't wait to try the game on PC at release.

Edit: dude, Bloodborne is shit on a technical level. Low res, chromatic aberration and aliasing up the ass and some cool framepcing issues too. Game looks great yeah but that's just thanks to the art direction.

It also runs worse than Elden Ring, and it isn't open world.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

"As a result, it's on track to become one of the studio's easiest, most enjoyable, and most approachable games."

Pretty worried that the best thing about Souls - overcoming seemingly unsurmountable challenges and feeling that immense satisfaction - is going to be missing in this game...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Those games pale in comparison to bloodborne, which is an early ps4 game.
True. bloodborne looks a tiny bit better than Dark Souls 3.
But not better than 4k Dark souls 3. The geometric detail and statues seems similar in both

The two giants pulling the crate can be killed and there’s some armor and a sword in the chest that you can’t open unless they’re killed. Basically didn’t bother trying to fight them after that because I realized how many hits it takes to get them down.

You don't have to kill them. You can just hit one of them once and they'll stop. Open the chest quick and run away.

Great Hair

Banned
Breh, even Dark Souls 2 looks better than Bloodborne.
You need your daily medicine. Ya krazy!
ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF
ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

skneogaf

Rose tinted glasses!

Ps3 games don't look as good as this even it's played on the xbox one.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I love at 39:45 Danjin44 Danjin44 yeah they are crazy. The game looks amazing. Dragon for comparison below
Vaati summos npc help and he runs away and cowards lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom