• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring boosts Kadokawa's gaming operating profit by 1,100%

Fredrik

Totally agree on mimic tear. I refused to use it second playthrough.

Games incredible though. So many good builds and what feels like endless explorability.
I’ve been too much of a wuss to deliberately avoid mimic tear lol, but I’ll consider it when the DLC drops.
The build variety is kinda crazy tbh, at first glance it’s easy to think it’s just about melee or magic but there are so many sub-genres that plays completely different. I’m just outside the academy right now and plan to respec my current 142lvl astrologer on journey 2 to something completely leftfield just to challenge myself.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That is what happens, when you try to appeal to casuals.
Its good to have loyal fans, but sometimes, you need the casuals, if you want to increase your company portofolio.
This is how you exploit the vocal fanbase generating hype in the casuals so you need to be careful. Casual wanted in because of the hard work FROM did for their hardcore fans with Demon and Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Starting to optimise the game for casuals too much might lose both casuals and hardcore fans (losing the latter will lose the former too).

skit_data

Starting to optimise the game for casuals too much might lose both casuals and hardcore fans (losing the latter will lose the former too).
I’m a bit worried by the trend of enemies using huge AoE-attacks in recent From games. I don’t know if it’s trying to appeal to anyone really, more like they are running out of ways to make fights harder other than just pure area denial. It’s been going on since DS3 but Hoarah Loux and Elden Beast brought it to a new bs-level.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Bosses lol. In next game they definitely should slap "boss" health bar on every enemy in every encounter. Just imagine thousands of bosses! Unprecedented!
Yes that’s of course field bosses and lots of duplicates and possibly npc invaders too without a boss health bar. But still, there is no need to downplay Elden Ring for content, I’d say that nothing comes close.

feynoob

Banned
This is how you exploit the vocal fanbase generating hype in the casuals so you need to be careful. Casual wanted in because of the hard work FROM did for their hardcore fans with Demon and Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Starting to optimise the game for casuals too much might lose both casuals and hardcore fans (losing the latter will lose the former too).
Make games like elden ring, while continuing their old model.
Both can coexist.

MagnesD3

There is apparently 238 bosses and 140 unique enemy types total in Elden Ring. Trimming the boss count down to 25% would remove lots of duplicates, and it would still stand out from other games.
But tbh I kinda like that there are so many bosses to fight even if many are similar. If they could add variety without cutting back on the amount it would be for the best of course but I think it’s an either this or that scenario.
More story arch bosses would be cool though.

What I want for a sequel is less harsh difficulty spikes. Even with easy mode sorcery you can end up getting stuck replaying certain bosses over and over for hours because something makes certain attack patterns almost impossible for certain character builds.

Should remove mimic tear too, once I found that one I never saw any need to use anything else, it’s overpowered.

And they need to fix the camera. The real final boss is the camera. For real.
Speaking of Mimic Tear, I think summons should be scaled (still usable by everybody though) with different builds in some way in Elden Ring 2 potentially making the summons capabilities (damage, health, poise, and even the moveset in general) dependent on them so there is more reasoning/testing involved when selecting them. Even though I thought they were really cool I felt it was too easy to ignore 90% of them use wise. As for balancing Mimic Tear there's a couple things I might would do, one option is when you create it its stats are all half of yours or it could become 75% of your current stats if you were wearing a specific armor to buff it. You could even just restrict the mimic ability to force the player to wear a specific very weak armor set to even be able to use it, limiting some of its effectiveness vs. other options. Imo its too cool to completely cut but it does need some reworks.

Also side note, it would be really dope if in Elden Rings dlc they add the cut bestiary, Id eat that shit up with how many cool enemies there are.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Speaking of Mimic Tear, I think summons should be scaled (still usable by everybody though) with different builds in some way in Elden Ring 2 potentially making the summons capabilities (damage, health, poise, and even the moveset in general) dependent on them so there is more reasoning/testing involved when selecting them. Even though I though they were cool I felt it was too easy to ignore 90% of them use wise. As for balancing Mimic Tear there's a couple things I might would do, one option is when you create it its stats are all half of yours or it could become 75% of your current stats if you were wearing a specific armor to buff it. You could even just restrict the mimic ability to force the player to wear a specific very weak armor set to even be able to use it, limiting some of its effectiveness vs. other options. Imo its too cool to completely cut but it does need some reworks.

Also side note, it would be really dope if in Elden Rings dlc they add the cut bestiary, Id eat that shit up with how many cool enemies there are.
Yeah weakening it would work too, just modify it so there is a reason to use something else really.

On my first playthrough I played as a hero with melee focus. Up til I found the mimic tear I used all kinds of summons. It was fun tbh. And I specifically remember how everyone thought spirit jellyfish was crap, but it was with that one I beat Margit! I had upgraded it and used it like a shield of sorts.

Spectacular for FromSoftware/Kodakawa Group, and Elden Ring is obviously incredible; however, Bloodborne over Elden Ring any day - to this day. It's a travesty there has been no follow-up beyond the Old Hunters.

Meme Day GIF

Elden Ring 2 is gonna be massive
Stop speaking nonsense dude. Elden Ring is overrated! /s

Excited too see how Elden Ring 2 will be, I hope they improve their tech and step up their technical issues, that was the only imperfection imo.

Last edited:
Do we know how much From/Kadokawa actually makes off each marginal sale outside of Japan? I don't really know how these sorts of contracts tend to be structured. People say that generally the publisher makes the lion's share of the profits and the dev is only paid bonuses at certain milestones, but given From's track record and Elden Ring's extreme overperformance I wonder if the profit breakdown isn't the reverse at this point.

YukiOnna

I might get some hate here but I would love FROM make another SP focus game similar to Sekiro with focus combat.

Sekiro is by far my favourite FROM game.
Same. Sekiro is still unmatched and the real sequel or spiritual successor that I want.
I also don't think every game needs to be Elden Ring and Miyazaki said as much both creatively and sales wise after.

Boneless

Well deserved, game of a generation, with no lootboxes, selling skins or all that rubbish we need to deal with nowadays. We should all praise that this did well and hope it inspires other companies to follow the path of righteousness.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Same. Sekiro is still unmatched and the real sequel or spiritual successor that I want.
I also don't think every game needs to be Elden Ring and Miyazaki said as much both creatively and sales wise after.
I love the Soulsbornering (lol-- " bonering") games, and have bounced off Sekiro twice. What am I missing? Maybe its because I have trouble differentiating the red Kanji characters to know what responsive action I need to perform...wish they were different colors for dummies like me lol

But in general I wonder what people get from Sekiro combat that I'm missing

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I love the Soulsbornering (lol-- " bonering") games, and have bounced off Sekiro twice. What am I missing? Maybe its because I have trouble differentiating the red Kanji characters to know what responsive action I need to perform...wish they were different colors for dummies like me lol

It may take a bit to click, but once you get it, I still think it's From's best combat. That said, it is an action/adventure game so it's a bit unfair to compare it to the RPG's.
The Red Kanji is a Perilous Attack that generally comes in 3 types: Thrust, Sweep or Grab. You have a counter/action to handle each of them. Mikiri Counter for thrust, Double Jump + Slash on Sweep, and Dodge for Grab. It takes a while, but once you learn not to panic, and just pay attention to the animation and sound (there's only one SFX) you'll pick it up. You should practice on Hanbei since he offers anyway.

Thief1987

It's the same kanji, you need to look at attack animation. Or just remember what kind of perilous attack enemies doing, very few of them have two or three, most have only one type.
But anyway this game is not worth your time, really, because it doesn't have real combat system, but qte fest in disguise instead.

Last edited:

zombrex

I love Bloodborne but a sequel doesnt make sense financially, especially as an exclusive. Dark Souls, Elden Ring and even Sekiro sold bucket loads more.
Elden RIng 2 is most likely followed by a Dark Souls reboot.
Only realistic chance of Bloodborne 2 is it being farmed out to another developer.

Last edited:

Alex11

It may take a bit to click, but once you get it, I still think it's From's best combat. That said, it is an action/adventure game so it's a bit unfair to compare it to the RPG's.
The Red Kanji is a Perilous Attack that generally comes in 3 types: Thrust, Sweep or Grab. You have a counter/action to handle each of them. Mikiri Counter for thrust, Double Jump + Slash on Sweep, and Dodge for Grab. It takes a while, but once you learn not to panic, and just pay attention to the animation and sound (there's only one SFX) you'll pick it up. You should practice on Hanbei since he offers anyway.
Very rare to see someone thinking Sekiro is From's best combat, which I agree. I think it's also the hardest. But yeah, after you take your time and you learn all the moves, the combat is like a dance, it's a symphony of moves and counters, it's just a spectacle.
I was so disappointed when I heard there was no DLC or sequel.

anothertech

Elden ring 2 with next gen graphics and comparable amount of content would be mind blowing.

Fucking open world boss simulator appeals to everyone. Most people I know never even finished the game but still loved it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I was skeptical at first. From the first trailers it just looked like Dark Souls 4. However, after playing it I can say it is one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Cannot wait for a sequel, although I'd like Armoured Core VI next please.

Tarin02543

I was skeptical at first. From the first trailers it just looked like Dark Souls 4. However, after playing it I can say it is one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Cannot wait for a sequel, although I'd like Armoured Core VI next please.

I want to play Dark Souls 4 :)

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I want to play Dark Souls 4 :)

I don't think we'll ever see a 4th Dark Souls game.
I love Bloodborne but a sequel doesnt make sense financially, especially as an exclusive. Dark Souls, Elden Ring and even Sekiro sold bucket loads more.
Elden RIng 2 is most likely followed by a Dark Souls reboot.
Only realistic chance of Bloodborne 2 is it being farmed out to another developer.

I see no reason why not, especially if Sony fund it and assist with development.

Top Bottom