• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring creator Hidetaka Miyazaki named among TIME’s “100 Most Influential People 2023”

Spyxos

Gold Member
hidetaka-miyazaki-elden-ring-e3-06-22-19-1-1024x576.jpg

FromSoftware’s Hidetaka Miyazaki has been selected by TIME Magazine as one of the “100 Most Influential People in the World” – he’s only the second game developer from Japan to be included in this list after Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto, who had the honor in 2007.

The brain behind iconic video games like Elden Ring, which was released in 2022 and raked in an unprecedented amount of awards, was included in the Innovators category alongside persons like French soccer star and FIFA 23 cover model Kylian Mbappé and Disney’s Bob Iger.

His entry was written by Naughty Dog’s Neil Druckmann, who previously lauded Elden Ring for its new approach of immersing players into the game’s narrative. In his short TIME Magazine piece for Hidetaka Miyazaki, he recounts that the “first time I played one of Hidetaka Miyazaki’s games, I was miserable. I kept dying on the first enemy over and over again.” That sounds about right for anyone’s first FromSoftware game experience.

Druckmann called Elden Ring “a great ambassador for video games and the unique feelings they can effect in the player, feelings that a passive medium like TV can never recreate.” He praised Miyazaki’s “uncompromising approach” and his refusal to overexplain the mechanics or the lore, instead preferring to put his trust in the player to figure things out on their own.

Miyazaki cooperated with George R. R. Martin on the background story of Elden Ring, which is an open-world RPG set in a grim fantasy world. In February 2023, an expansion for Elden Ring called Shadow of the Erdtree was announced, which might delve further into what happened before the main game’s events. It does not have a release date thus far.

Hidetaka Miyazaki joined FromSoftware in 2004, becoming the company’s president in 2014. He’s been the game director for Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring among other titles.

https://videogames.si.com/news/elden-ring-hidetaka-miyazaki-time-most-influential-people

Edit: Sorry can be deleted.

Last edited:
Whoa slow down... Some of us haven't even started TotK lol. I was about to download it to my switch only to realize I didn't have enough space. So now I'm waiting for a new micro SD card to come in the mail on Monday.

Top Bottom