• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring enters the top 10 highest grossing premium games in US history

SkylineRKR

Elden Ring becoming the highest grossing game of the year is a very good sign. Its still more difficult and more open than 95% of other AAA games, this game doesn't bombard you with waypoints and checklists.

Elden Ring means the industry hasn't gone full retard yet. The consumers still like being offered a challenge that doesn't play the game for them.

If this opens up the possibility of, say, an AssCreed game without all the busywork, checklist open world and waypoints, I might return to that franchise.

GymWolf

Great, Elden ring 2 is gonna use the money for a new engine most assuredly.

c46ecae5d5aae1f7487d28e1e695b745072a9586.gif

Last edited:
Who would have thought a little ol game from a relatively obscure Japanese developer in 2009 would explode into what it is today.
Obscure? I guess if your only a trendy and chase what the masses think is hot. But if your 40+ in age, you know who FROM is especially if you were gaming on the OG Xbox in the early 2000s and Kings Feild is not obscure for being on the PlayStation starting in the mid 90s.

Obscure? I guess if your only a trendy and chase what the masses think is hot. But if your 40+ in age, you know who FROM is especially if you were gaming on the OG Xbox in the early 2000s and Kings Feild is not obscure for being on the PlayStation starting in the mid 90s.

I love From, but be real here. FROM was a niche dev even back then. They didn't hit major mainstream success in the west until Demon Souls. The closest they got was with Armored Core Previously and even then that was a niche game for niche audiences.

ACESHIGH

Banned
And Sony has Bloodborne dead on the back burner... they gotta strike while the iron is hot and remaster/remake it for PS5/PC next year. If they wait until PS6 is released in say... 2028 who knows if the game will have an audience then.

Hell port the game next year to gauge interest for Bloodborne 2

Last edited:
And Sony has Bloodborne dead on the back burner... they gotta strike while the iron is hot and remaster/remake it for PS5/PC next year. If they wait until PS6 is released in say... 2028 who knows if the game will have an audience back then.

Hell port the game next year to gauge interest for Bloodborne 2

They prob have a agreement or deal with Fromsoft or Bandai to hold off on the Demon’s Souls or Bloodborne ports and remasters. They’ll probably wait until E/R hits sales saturation + DLC before then

Last edited:
From was not a huge deal back then. There was a reason no one was willing to even publish Demon's Souls for a while. King's Field was not a massive franchise. Neither was Armored Core.

Now, Elden Ring is doing Call of Duty numbers.

kiphalfton

Sooooo, no sale soon then I guess…

Was like $35 on Gamefly website a month or so back. May still be.

Well I guess that means the end of the perfectly crafted soulsborne games and instead get bland repetitive open world games. At least we'll always have dark souls 1 and 3.

People gobble up open world games. And unfortunately that's just one way gaming has been ruined by your typical average Joe. As more and more time goes by it just gets worse. I'll gladly take being the outcast because I like games, if it were a matter of going back to the way it was 15+ years ago.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
They prob have a agreement or deal with Fromsoft or Bandai to hold off on the Demon’s Souls or Bloodborne ports and remasters. They’ll probably wait until E/R hits sales saturation + DLC before then

That's what I think as well. Wait until the DLC/complete edition is released to avoid cannibalizing sales as they target the same audience.

From was not a huge deal back then. There was a reason no one was willing to even publish Demon's Souls for a while. King's Field was not a massive franchise. Neither was Armored Core.

Now, Elden Ring is doing Call of Duty numbers.
I didn’t say huge, but people knew what it was. Even in my gaming circle back then that consisted of people of all walks of life.
Not sure your age, maybe I was a little older then you guys when it released? But a lot of people knew about it and purchased it at release. The game is considered a commercial success upon release. Although a little polarizing, you guessed it because of difficulty.
Even before release we were all talking about it because of it actually being a 3D polygon first person RPG. Things you could only dream of back then.

But Elden Rings numberers are fucking unreal. I’d love a percentage of completion across the board.

I didn’t say huge, but people knew what it was. Even in my gaming circle back then that consisted of people of all walks of life.
Not sure your age, maybe I was a little older then you guys when it released? But a lot of people knew about it and purchased it at release. The game is considered a commercial success upon release. Although a little polarizing, you guessed it because of difficulty.
Even before release we were all talking about it because of it actually being a 3D polygon first person RPG. Things you could only dream of back then.

But Elden Rings numberers are fucking unreal. I’d love a percentage of completion across the board.
I'm 43. I've owned just about every console since the Atari 2600.

From was niche back then. Not completely unknown, but closer to that than mainstream.

Not gonna lie Elden Ring may have ruined some games for me.

I’m playing God of War on PC right now, and I’m like…this is it?? Opening different chests, so so combat with a camera up my ass, and Boy! Read this!

And people are excited for Ragnarok??

I need more now. I need freedom to create badass builds, with kickass weapons.
The Miyazaki curse.

You just have to wait it out. Or: constantly cycle through his games, occasionally spending money on something else only to toss it aside after 10 minutes.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Well I guess that means the end of the perfectly crafted soulsborne games and instead get bland repetitive open world games. At least we'll always have dark souls 1 and 3
Indeed.

Dark Souls 1 and 3 are so much better than Elden Boring.

However it's nice to see single player only games doing so well.

Top Bottom