• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring has sold 12 million units

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So, basically this is an industry game changer.

A single player game (with limited free multiplayer) with zero microtransactions, huge amounts of quality content, a compelling gameplay loop, fantastic art direction, a respect for the fanbase, that ignores current social and political trends, and is priced fairly, is selling better than anything else.

The glass ceiling for modern AAA single player is basically 30 million copies. If this is indeed a game changer, it'll have to exceed those numbers.

kyliethicc

From Software HQ rn

twerk-money.gif

Miyazaki tonight

pOWzvgL.gif
8wihutB.gif

Very good. Not one with a copy just yet, but will be later this year for sure.

Anyone know the platform splits? I know in Europe it was 44% PC which is massive, but that is probably a bit lower globally. I'm hearing some stuff but can't confirm anything.

15 chain quotes of shame, a condescending mod post, and a ban.

Not always in that order.
I thought we will see even larger PC percentage, from China and NA number

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
From a niche game series with a cult following to major blockbuster and all without sacrificing or compromising their core design philosophy, this is how you do it! FROM the Kings, Miyazaki the God, as an OG fan (DeS PS3 but even further back to King's Field though that's pre-Miyazaki/Souls era) I absolutely love to see it, here's to 12 million more! 🎉🎉🎉

Last edited:

Keihart

Miyazaki tonight

pOWzvgL.gif
8wihutB.gif
i don't think devs studios usually get royalties, it's mostly bonuses for milestones.
The ones swiming on cash is probably Bamco.

It also, obviously, assures that the next fromsoft project is going to have no problems securing a budget, i hope they go selfpublished for the next game so they can cash in all this popularity.

EDMIX

Good. Now fix your fucking engine and hire people to make better graphics while keeping your amazing art direction. You’ll soon have the budget for it. Do it.

For all we know, it moving this many units might make them feel nothing is wrong with that engine.

Neverforget Fallout 4 btw.

Record units......continues to use the same engine lol

New IP......same engine lol

So who knows how they'll go about this tbh.

kingfey

Banned
For all we know, it moving this many units might make them feel nothing is wrong with that engine.

If people are buying that much numbers, then the engine isnt a problem for them.

onQ123

BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. (headquarters: Minato-ku, Tokyo; President & CEO: Yasuo Miyakawa) and FromSoftware, Inc. (headquarters: Shibuya-ku, Tokyo; President & CEO: Hidetaka Miyazaki) co-developed the brand new action RPG "ELDEN RING" (Japan published under FromSoftware, Inc. / all other regions published under BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.) has sold more than 1M units in Japan (※1, 2) and 12M units worldwide (※1, 2).

I said GOD DAMN

Beasting

Swift_Star

Banned

You’re probably right. Which is very sad.

leo-j

Yea I def expect Sony to push for a bloodborne 2. And I totally expect a BB1 remaster for ps5/PC this year after Elden ring dominated. Get those fans to hop on the bandwagon.

I hope the plethora of game companies obsessed with GAAS are paying close attention to this. This shows that not every game needs to be a live service game to in order to pull in a lot of money and succeed. There is still a demand for single player experiences.

DavidGzz

I hope the plethora of game companies obsessed with GAAS are paying close attention to this. This shows that not every game needs to be a live service game to in order to pull in a lot of money and succeed. There is still a demand for single player experiences.

Nah, with their way of thinking they are shaking their heads at the lost opportunity of charging money for the armor sets and horse armors.

EDMIX

You’re probably right. Which is very sad.

Yup annnnnnd

If people are buying that much numbers, then the engine isnt a problem for them.

heeerrre we go. =)

Thats why I think its a double edge sword. I don't mind a bit of jank, if the game is solid, I don't really care that much, but it seems the argument made in the past that those games didn't sell that much, maybe the team can't afford such a overall or something, will simply morph into "the engine isnt a problem" and will simply grant publishers to avoid logical fixes, investing in better engines etc.

Let me help you get this, BF 2042 is the second fastest selling BF in history, using such logic......the engine doesn't need to change "if people are buying that much", that may not mean the people buying it enjoy the issues and problems...how much will return? Can they retain that number if players feel such a thing will continue or something? Shouldn't the publisher want the best for the consumer by fixing that engine and people spending this much clearly is giving them more money to fix it even more then before?

So I see both arguments and I'm not shocked that we'll continue to see both sides on this. It depends on where From Soft goes on this one.

kingfey

Banned
Yup annnnnnd

heeerrre we go. =)

Thats why I think its a double edge sword. I don't mind a bit of jank, if the game is solid, I don't really care that much, but it seems the argument made in the past that those games didn't sell that much, maybe the team can't afford such a overall or something, will simply morph into "the engine isnt a problem" and will simply grant publishers to avoid logical fixes, investing in better engines etc.

Let me help you get this, BF 2042 is the second fastest selling BF in history, using such logic......the engine doesn't need to change "if people are buying that much", that may not mean the people buying it enjoy the issues and problems...how much will return? Can they retain that number if players feel such a thing will continue or something? Shouldn't the publisher want the best for the consumer by fixing that engine and people spending this much clearly is giving them more money to fix it even more then before?

So I see both arguments and I'm not shocked that we'll continue to see both sides on this. It depends on where From Soft goes on this one.
They are looking from the sales perspective. Developers are dumb, when it comes to their engines. If a game sells very well, they dont see any problem with their engine.
Ask bethesda with fallout 3, oblivion, skyrim and fallout 4.

ZehDon

The glass ceiling for modern AAA single player is basically 30 million copies. If this is indeed a game changer, it'll have to exceed those numbers.
A deeply hardcore, obtusely non-linear game, with a strong focus on intentional difficulty and a deliberately vague and non-cinematic narrative, presented with aging graphical technology and a creaky engine, not only blew two of Sony's exclusives out of the water, it is currently doing COD numbers and is sitting on an S-Tier critical reception.

The game is changed.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A deeply hardcore, obtusely non-linear game, with a strong focus on intentional difficulty and a deliberately vague and non-cinematic narrative, presented with aging graphical technology and a creaky engine, not only blew two of Sony's exclusives out of the water, it is currently doing COD numbers and is sitting on an S-Tier critical reception.

The game is changed.

What changes?

I'm not being sarcastic, just curious to see how this alters anything.

Alphagear

12 million is impressive but honestly I expected far more.

We were hearing 20-30million copies sold.

Does this game have the legs to reach that?

I doubt it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
How fucking dumb would Sony have to be to not put out a remaster of Bloodborne after this? There is millions in untapped potential on that game.
even just a PS5 remaster or PC version. why not both a Bloodborne PS5/PC and Bloodborne 2? that's a lot of money to leave on the table.

Bloodborne is my favourite From Software game. Elden Ring is brilliant but I'd love Bloodborne 2 and have it be on the same scale as Elden Ring with an open world. As much as I enjoy the norse/celtic setting of Elden Ring, the lovecraftian horror of Bloodborne is my favourite setting. I loved the medieval of DS and feudal japanese of Sekiro but Bloodborne wins for me.

ethomaz

Banned
Imagine the guy dead set it sold over 10 million on Steam alone lol
Steam is probably less than 5 million.

Great for the game… it already reached Dark Souls 3 sales… from now on is just increasing the fan base.

Last edited:
Top Bottom