• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring has sold 12 million units

Zeroing

Banned
Well...not really lol

With Horizon Zero Dawn moving 20 million units, we don't really know where the dust will setting with all this.

Sony putting out 2 exclusives is irrelevant as HFW and GT7 are 2 completely different games.

The Last Of Us 2 and Ghost Of Tsushima had very closes launches, 2 different games, both broke sales records. None of that shit really matters to the degree that I think some really think it does tbh.

In terms of Advertising Elden Ring, I see nothing wrong with that either. Look at the results btw massive sales on PS, massive sales for HFW, massive sales for GT7.

Trust me, Sony doesn't find it odd and I don't think they are even remotely upset at having the top selling titles across several regions.

So I think they are different enough that you'll just get overlapping sales.
When you expose it that way it does makes sense. I still think it was risky from a marketing perspective. Because elden ring is getting more attention than HFW and GT7 maybe it’s not about sales anyway.

EDMIX

When you expose it that way it does makes sense. I still think it was risky from a marketing perspective. Because elden ring is getting more attention than HFW and GT7 maybe it’s not about sales anyway.

Maybe its to market PS has a variety of games from first party to 3rd party, maybe its cause Sony has plans to buy that team anyway or something so its a win win. Because they are all selling and all very different, I don't think it will do much harm as lots of us all playing all 3 anyway lol

Maybe they are trying to market it like "fun for everyone" type of thing where all different types of games can be found on PS or something.

Its hard to say cause I'm not in Sony's shoes, I don't know what they know. They can't control Elden Rings release and maybe they don't want to delay Horizon if its ready and they want GT7 out too so they can prepare for God Of War's marketing or something. I think over the months all 3 titles will be talked about quite a bit and all get their time to shine for what all 3 do well and Sony might be banking on that or something. Hard to say. I can see why one wouldn't want to market them like this as....well look at Titanfall 2 when it was out around BF1 and Call Of Duty.

Not all situations like this end up with all 3 ranked in top spots so, I could be dead wrong and just cause they ranked at the top, doesn't mean they could have not sold better if delayed or something. Its tough to tell on this one.

Zeroing

Banned
Maybe its to market PS has a variety of games from first party to 3rd party, maybe its cause Sony has plans to buy that team anyway or something so its a win win. Because they are all selling and all very different, I don't think it will do much harm as lots of us all playing all 3 anyway lol

Maybe they are trying to market it like "fun for everyone" type of thing where all different types of games can be found on PS or something.

Its hard to say cause I'm not in Sony's shoes, I don't know what they know. They can't control Elden Rings release and maybe they don't want to delay Horizon if its ready and they want GT7 out too so they can prepare for God Of War's marketing or something. I think over the months all 3 titles will be talked about quite a bit and all get their time to shine for what all 3 do well and Sony might be banking on that or something. Hard to say. I can see why one wouldn't want to market them like this as....well look at Titanfall 2 when it was out around BF1 and Call Of Duty.

Not all situations like this end up with all 3 ranked in top spots so, I could be dead wrong and just cause they ranked at the top, doesn't mean they could have not sold better if delayed or something. Its tough to tell on this one.
That’s my though we can only speculate but yeah it seems it could be one of those reasons. Call me suspicious but I find it odd the official Sony twitter account advertising elden ring.
They barely do that for Sony first party games even less so for a 3rd party game

EDMIX

That’s my though we can only speculate but yeah it seems it could be one of those reasons. Call me suspicious but I find it odd the official Sony twitter account advertising elden ring.
They barely do that for Sony first party games even less so for a 3rd party game

Maybe there really is something to them preparing for some buyout or something. I don't really know who had the marketing stuff for this game as I don't recall it at some State Of Play or something. I also don't really know what their marketing tells the social media team to post, share, tweet about etc. Maybe the want like pro RPG, single player, narrative focused titles marketed or they want From Soft highlighted so they can market Bloodborne 2 or remaster or some new PS exclusive more when the time comes, or some buy out in the works or something.

So regardless, it seems Sony has a lot invested in that game doing well on PS platforms.

Three

These are call of duty numbers right ?
This is a clear middle finger to quest logs, holding your hand , waypoints , easy difficulty and accessibility.
Learn from this ubisoft ,guirella games and others that do open worlds
This will only be true if ER has legs like COD. COD sells throughout the year. That's yet to be determined for ER but I hope it does.

Zeroing

Banned
Maybe there really is something to them preparing for some buyout or something. I don't really know who had the marketing stuff for this game as I don't recall it at some State Of Play or something. I also don't really know what their marketing tells the social media team to post, share, tweet about etc. Maybe the want like pro RPG, single player, narrative focused titles marketed or they want From Soft highlighted so they can market Bloodborne 2 or remaster or some new PS exclusive more when the time comes, or some buy out in the works or something.

So regardless, it seems Sony has a lot invested in that game doing well on PS platforms.
Like I said we can only speculate but what if those 2 Sony exclusive games with elden ring sandwiched in between was a test to see if the acquisition/exclusive made sense?

Or maybe the person behind the Sony account was just a big fan of From and tweeted it… who knows.

EDMIX

Like I said we can only speculate but what if those 2 Sony exclusive games with elden ring sandwiched in between was a test to see if the acquisition/exclusive made sense?

Or maybe the person behind the Sony account was just a big fan of From and tweeted it… who knows.

Watch that buyout happen and we were the few that saw the writing on the wall that Sony was marketing this title to them shareholders lol It could because they have some other PS titles being worked on like Demon Souls 2 so this game doing well on PS is priority or something, or it could because that team will be bought and they want this series to do well for them. So they have something invested here that it seems its more then just nothing.

Zeroing

Banned
Watch that buyout happen and we were the few that saw the writing on the wall that Sony was marketing this title to them shareholders lol It could because they have some other PS titles being worked on like Demon Souls 2 so this game doing well on PS is priority or something, or it could because that team will be bought and they want this series to do well for them. So they have something invested here that it seems its more then just nothing.
I think it makes a lot of sense but
Isn’t from software owned by a company? I think it is?

reksveks

Kadokawa (trying to find the most up to date shareholders table cause I know Sony has 2% stake and tencent was 6%)

Don't see Kadokawa selling off Fromsoftware without a stupid premium. I do wonder if we have any idea of the revenue attribution of From so we can try and guesstimate the cost.

Also I am wondering who owns the previous IP's? Might be Bandai in most cases.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Everyone has their price lol Because they are both Japanese companies, I can see it happening more likely then other deals at the moment and Sony has a history of buying such teams that they've worked with closely in the past. It might explain why they'd market a game they don't even have a current deal with.

I have a bad feeling Sony will swoop from software sooner or later
And us Xbox owners will forever be in pain

Because they need to answer to some of those lost RPG IPs that MS has taken, its very likely. I'd say before if they didn't do anything, its likely cause Demon Souls only sold about 2 million, Bloodborne about the same, Sekrio 5 million or so, so from their standpoint, its not a massive Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Witcher type team.

Annnnnnnd now all that has changed. So what ever had them on pause to do much with that company might have greatly changed with this game doing such units. Also imho, with liking Souls titles, its hard to own that system considering you'd always have a bunch missing based on the IP that Sony own of those concepts (maybe that was the point and Sony wanted that install base always buying PS or something).

If they treat it like that Bungie deal, maybe they don't make it exclusive at all. These are some wild fucking times right now lol We don't know who is going to buy who, massive buy out one even crazier then the next, then buyouts were they are like "we funa keep dem games on many platforms" lol so its hard to really say what will happen as I'm just not sure anymore. I just can't say 100%, Sony buys them and they are ONLY on PS or even MS does and they are only on XB, its so uncertain, that anything really can happen right now, but on the safe side, I'd lean towards owning a PS to get the most of those games tbh.

Demon Souls remake and Bloodborne are must!

RafterXL RafterXL agreed. Was just about to say that. 2 million with this game....simply isn't bad. That is literally what Demon Souls sold on PS5. Any other game we might say thats bad, but I don't see 2 million bad on XB regarding this title even remotely.

Also agree that this game would have done theses numbers faster if it was deeper into the generation like we saw with Fallout 4. We can't even say its cause people have nothing to play, this game was literally coming out along side lots of other games.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Kadokawa (trying to find the most up to date shareholders table cause I know Sony has 2% stake and tencent was 6%)

Don't see Kadokawa selling off Fromsoftware without a stupid premium. I do wonder if we have any idea of the revenue attribution of From so we can try and guesstimate the cost.

All I know is when MS brough Activision it came out that From owns sekiro IP so maybe all the IPs are own by From.

SSfox

Very well deserved.

Hopefully for a big dlc, not in a hurry still have a bunch to discover in the game but a big expansion in few months would be dope.

luffie

Maybe lol

Lots of CP2077 sales are based on what they expected based on what CDPR stated, so I agree they lost lots of good will and trust as no one wants to be tricked, scammed, but something like ER might be in a situation where its sales might be based on what new comers expect from other open world titles. Its not to say they didn't gain fans as no one is buying this game for no reason or something, simply its hard to tell if the next game will retain those new comers.

As in, they won the battle getting them in the game, can the win the war with making them fans of the concept long term? You only get 1 bite at the apple on such things.

Someone can buy CP2077 based on what they expect from an open world game, yet not return based on what it didn't do.

The same can happen with Elden Ring as I'm sure lots of gamers expecting normal AC light RPG concepts might be put off on what it is compared to the hardcore fans. So selling like this can be seen as many liking the concept sure, but it also can be seen as many new gamers buying it based on thinking its like Skyrim, Witcher, AC series etc. So I think they for sure gained lots of new fans, how much will be retained, remains to be seen at this point. Knowing how gamers act, I just don't know that the vast majority bought it for souls stuff, they probably saw "elder" and saw it was open world and likely made some vast assumptions on what they expected. I've read lots of people either not understanding the concept or exposing that they didn't play those games prior or something which tells me a good amount may have gotten the game thinking its like other open world titles or something.

I think their good will can keep those fans gained, I don't know if its enough to sell more every time though. Thats one of those wait and sees. Dark Souls 3 didn't have Sekiro or Demons Souls remake or Bloodborne doing 10 million.
Maybe, since nothing is ever set in stone. But looking back at 2077 on how the 1st month was basically bad publicity non stop till the ceo apologize, meanwhile ER is rather gaining better and better press, having delivered exactly what they promised and more.

I'm sure some people expected something else and was disappointed, but I'm also pretty sure most Souls fans were very satisfied and even more new players were pleasantly surprised. Looking at Steam achievements previously, approx 66.9 players have defeated Margit, and that's a very high number of engagement for what is considered a tough boss. The number of discussions were also mostly positive. And the number of concurrent players is constantly high. Anecdotally, most players i know that haven't played were due to the lack of decent hardware.

From just don't have a more cinematic video or spent more money on advertising or used celebrity appeal like 2077, and yet here they are. In terms of goodwill and faith, they are certainly among the best currently.

We have to see what they do next, but if they can up their game from this quality, I don't see how they will do less than ER.

reksveks

All I know is when MS brough Activision it came out that From owns sekiro IP so maybe all the IPs are own by From.
Yeah maybe, based off the plans to expand the Elden Ring ip to other media, i suspect Bandai has some control over that one.

Fundamentally we don't know.

EDMIX

Very unlikely. With such deals, many times they are just there to publish, distribute, market etc Granted, some publishers like Sony won't do it without the IP, as to why they own Demon Souls, Bloodborne etc or why they didn't want to publish Sunset Overdrive without the IP.

Look at it like this, Bandi Namco also published Witcher 3 for CDPR, but I'm 99% sure CDPR owns that IP.

So some deals are just for marketing, distribution etc.

Dr.Morris79

eOBV3QR.png

Every developer will have to make "Elden Ring-like" games now
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Pretty much. Expect a mad slew in about three years time.

reksveks

Bandi Namco also published Witcher 3 for CDPR, but I'm 99% sure CDPR owns that IP.
Technically think CDPR only owns it or has a perpetual license for games. Bandai published it in EU/AUNZ and WB did NA.

Very unlikely. With such deals, many times they are just there to publish, distribute, market etc Granted, some publishers like Sony won't do it without the IP, as to why they own Demon Souls, Bloodborne etc or why they didn't want to publish Sunset Overdrive without the IP.

I get that there is obviously case where there are different deals based on whether it's exclusive or not aka Demon Souls and Bloodbourne but I do think Dark Souls, Elden Ring is more likely to be a Bandai IP. Interestingly Bandai announced plans to extend the IP to other media. Armored Core might be From's.

Whilst not conclusive, think Dark Souls is a Bandai trademark.

Last edited:

Three

What a stupid statment. 2 million on Xbox, which is 25% more than Demon's Souls sold on PS5 in an entire year.
In fairness 2M on XB1 S/X + XS S/X whereas Demons Souls sold 1.4M on the small PS5 install base being PS5 only. It was a launch game so it had no install base at the height of its marketing/hype. It's sold more now and hopefully sells even more after ER.

Last edited:

SSfox

Interesting comments from BAMCO in the Press Release unless it's standard for them:
Please look forward to more of “ELDEN RING” as an IP (characters and other intellectual property) in hopes of expanding beyond the realm of games

Much effort was placed into creating “ELDEN RING” so that we could exceed the expectations of our fans worldwide. In like manner, we will continue our efforts in expanding the brand beyond the game itself, and into everyone’s daily life

I hope it hasn't to do with trashy NFT.

Bamco do a lot of figures and toys, so maybe that's it, they have to be really retards to go NFT even if it was one of their initial intentions after so many praises and positive vibes around Elden Ring.

GHG

Gold Member
Interesting comments from BAMCO in the Press Release unless it's standard for them:
Please look forward to more of “ELDEN RING” as an IP (characters and other intellectual property) in hopes of expanding beyond the realm of games

Much effort was placed into creating “ELDEN RING” so that we could exceed the expectations of our fans worldwide. In like manner, we will continue our efforts in expanding the brand beyond the game itself, and into everyone’s daily life

But if you ask my wife, it's already part of my daily life.

I have a bad feeling Sony will swoop from software sooner or later
And us Xbox owners will forever be in pain
Imagine how much they would cost at this point.. And why would you sell them if you were Kodakawa? Sure Bandai namco is the distributor and publisher.. but we saw that FROMSOFT can get a publisher any time they want.. What I am saying is FROM and Kodakawa are not getting shafted on their percentages at this point. The offer would have to be worth more than all future merchandise, games, and movie/netflix tie ins all added together..

EDMIX

Technically think CDPR only owns it or has a perpetual license for games. Bandai published it in EU/AUNZ and WB did NA.

I get that there is obviously case where there are different deals based on whether it's exclusive or not aka Demon Souls and Bloodbourne but I do think Dark Souls, Elden Ring is more likely to be a Bandai IP. Interestingly Bandai announced plans to extend the IP to other media. Armored Core might be From's.

Whilst not conclusive, think Dark Souls is a Bandai trademark.

True. Based on all that, its sorta hard to tell until they let us know after some deal, buyout etc. For all we know Bandi is stating this cause From Soft plans to keep using them to publish those titles or something

Dommel

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Pretty much. Expect a mad slew in about three years time.

I doubt it though.

Look at how BotW did Open World in a refreshing manner and it didn't really impact any other OW games at all (HFW seems to have even more markers and guidance and Ubisoft is a lost cause).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
In fairness 2M on XB1 S/X + XS S/X whereas Demons Souls sold 1.4M on the small PS5 install base being PS5 only. It was a launch game so it had no install base at the height of its marketing/hype. It's sold more now and hopefully sells even more after ER.

but it still sold more than the only figure we got for bloodborne (2 mill) and demons souls ps5 in two and a half weeks On Xbox. It will probs end up between 4 to 6 million on Xbox alone.

it’s a serious chunk of units.

Nautilus

Banned
Holy shit. That is incredible!From is swimming in money right now.

I believe that with this, they will be able to self publish.

Dream-Knife

Banned
True. Based on all that, its sorta hard to tell until they let us know after some deal, buyout etc. For all we know Bandi is stating this cause From Soft plans to keep using them to publish those titles or something
Hopefully it's too expensive for Sony.

even just a PS5 remaster or PC version. why not both a Bloodborne PS5/PC and Bloodborne 2? that's a lot of money to leave on the table.

Bloodborne is my favourite From Software game. Elden Ring is brilliant but I'd love Bloodborne 2 and have it be on the same scale as Elden Ring with an open world. As much as I enjoy the norse/celtic setting of Elden Ring, the lovecraftian horror of Bloodborne is my favourite setting. I loved the medieval of DS and feudal japanese of Sekiro but Bloodborne wins for me.
While the community is on PC, I wouldn't expect it to sell these numbers. BB isn't Dark Souls.

VFXVeteran

Banned
You are overthinking it. Performance issues are overblown and dlc will be a good reason to replay the game!
Believe me, if dlc was available today, it would be too much game
Yes they are. It's nowhere near as bleak as what people have been saying. The game plays very well on high-end PC GPUs at native 4k/Ultra settings. The dips are few and far between and definitely don't last long to the point of being unplayable.

So, basically this is an industry game changer.

A single player game (with limited free multiplayer) with zero microtransactions, huge amounts of quality content, a compelling gameplay loop, fantastic art direction, a respect for the fanbase, that ignores current social and political trends, and is priced fairly, is selling better than anything else.
Tumblr

kingfey

Banned
Neogaf doesn’t have a good track record of being good at predicting things.

what I find it odd is Sony releasing 2 exclusives so close to each other and advertising elden ring! That is what I find interesting…
Some games lose spot light to other games. Then the price is another issue. Putting 2 AAA games next to each other bat Insane. Unless it's holiday, you are risking less sales.

Sony isn't learning HZD mistakes.

DragonNCM

BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. (headquarters: Minato-ku, Tokyo; President & CEO: Yasuo Miyakawa) and FromSoftware, Inc. (headquarters: Shibuya-ku, Tokyo; President & CEO: Hidetaka Miyazaki) co-developed the brand new action RPG "ELDEN RING" (Japan published under FromSoftware, Inc. / all other regions published under BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.) has sold more than 1M units in Japan (※1, 2) and 12M units worldwide (※1, 2).

I said GOD DAMN
Totally deserved best game I had played in my vast gaming life
WP From Software........WP

Zeroing

Banned
Some games lose spot light to other games. Then the price is another issue. Putting 2 AAA games next to each other bat Insane. Unless it's holiday, you are risking less sales.

Sony isn't learning HZD mistakes.
Or like I discussed earlier, there is a reason for this madness. 2 AAA exclusives with Elden ring sandwiched on the middle, plus Sony advertising the Elden Ring could mean something.

Top Bottom