• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring is a crowning achievement for open worlds & is quite possibly the greatest game ever made.

Chiggs

In this thread, half of GAF reveals what the other half has known for quite some time: "The other half of GAF is filthy, unwashed, uncultivated, and therefore devoid of any taste whatsoever."

Last edited:
The only thing that feels “Cheap” In this game was the optional area involving the Haligtree, and that was only because it was balanced around having around 120-140 SL. Most players are around 80-100 by the time they reach that point in the game. Going back in NG+, it feels much more natural and well curved. I get the feeling that the area was originally designed specifically for NG+, but I don’t have anything to base that on other than anecdotal evidence.
How did you come to that conclusion(that the game was designed for NG)? Granted, I was at a MUCH high SL than even 200 but I still struggled. In the end, I just ran past the enemies lol.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How did you come to that conclusion(that the game was designed for NG)? Granted, I was at a MUCH high SL than even 200 but I still struggled. In the end, I just ran past the enemies lol.

...I literally just stated my anecdotal experience and reasons. Look at the damage numbers, compare them to similar damage numbers and health in NG+ around that same SL level and you can tell that it is designed around certain levels. While you could do it at base game with grinding, the "end game" areas are significantly easier and based around lower SL levels. Even in NG+ the Haligtree doesn't gain as big of a boost in damage/helath multipliers like the rest of the game. Roughly being designed around sl 150, which you should be at or exceed in a NG+ run (unless you rushed the main story and completed it around SL 40-60).

Ar¢tos

It is purely a cost-cutting design decision. Just like how they always use post-apocalyptic worlds because it saves costs and they don’t know anything else. Just like how they’ve been using the same engine for god knows how long. Just like how they never fix their camera. Just like how cutscene animations are still horrid. Etc.

FS is overly frugal and they’re enabled by their fanbase. You know it and I know it. Don’t tell me to grow up because I’m pointing out the obvious.
I'm telling you to grow up because you are using the word indie as derogative term. As if indie games are inferior games just because they have smaller budgets and are made by smaller teams.
The quality of a game is not about how long the game is or how many millions are spent on marketing it.
Indie games deserve even more recognition because they are the ones creating innovation and moving the industry forward, big studios just copy concepts from indie games most of the time.
Without indies the gaming industry would have stalled decades ago.

Many of the best games I have played are indies.

Kindela

Banned
I'm telling you to grow up because you are using the word indie as derogative term. As if indie games are inferior games just because they have smaller budgets and are made by smaller teams.
The quality of a game is not about how long the game is or how many millions are spent on marketing it.
Indie games deserve even more recognition because they are the ones creating innovation and moving the industry forward, big studios just copy concepts from indie games most of the time.

I don't think he was using it as a derogative term, but instead to state that indie devs lack the money FS has.

Ar¢tos

I don't think he was using it as a derogative term, but instead to state that indie devs lack the money FS has.
FS hasn't much money, they depend on publishers and Bamco is the poorest of the big ones.
They tried working with one of the big ones (Sekiro) but the relationship didn't work that well.

FTFY

They have literally made non-post apoc games numerous times. Same engine? Have you met Bethesda? Sony? Most gaming publishers/developers? Camera isn't broken and controls just as well as literally *any* other third person game.

But keep clownin' on.
Where babe? I’ve played FS games prior to Miyazaki directed games and even ones that aren’t “post-apocalyptic” like Lost Kingdoms and Enchanted Arms are basically barely populated for one reason or another (though I will say I absolutely love the LK games).

The camera is a very widely-known issue.

I will say I laughed when I saw that you replaced my response with a gif of a clown lol

Hey, fair enough. I do admit that I look down on indie games, which is why that didn’t even cross my mind when I initially read your reply.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Where babe? I’ve played FS games prior to Miyazaki directed games and even ones that aren’t “post-apocalyptic” like Lost Kingdoms and Enchanted Arms are basically barely populated for one reason or another (though I will say I absolutely love the LK games).

The camera is a very widely-known issue.

I will say I laughed when I saw that you replaced my response with a gif of a clown lol

Hey, fair enough. I do admit that I look down on indie games, which is why that didn’t even cross my mind when I initially read your reply.
Most games where the character has to "save the world" and the character isn't a super hero are devoid of human life, otherwise a really good justification would be required for the rest of the people not helping (zombie games, post apocalyptic games, etc). Games that focus on the story of a single character (or small group of people) usually happen in normal "worlds" full of human life (gta, rdr, etc).

It's an industry thing, not a FROM SOFTWARE thing.

Gideon

I won't go that far saying this about fromsoftware fanboys. They are just poor delusional people who need to play more actually good games.
List those "actually good games" then 🙂, I played rdr2, botw, ds3, skyrim and many more but out of all the games I played I loved elden ring the most so far and I dislike dark souls 3.

This game is so boring to me, all you do is roll and slash and do that over and over again. This might be an apples to oranges comparison but I wonder why stylish action games dont get the same sort of cult like obsession souls games do. Combat is way more dynamic, forcing you to adapt on your feet and experiment with the battle system. I definitely think Elden Ring and souks games are the mumble rap of gaming and are only popular due to social contagion.

Because you can play as a character that never rolls or slashes if that's what you want to do?

You can take the OP and the responses to the first post, replace all mention of ER and replace with GTAV, BOTW, Starfield, etc, replaced the screenshots, and you realize how generic this argument is and the OP, there's not much depth to it it's relying on emotional hype for the title mentioned by people who are into the game to seem like this post is deeper than it is when it's really just a template.

With that said, people who enjoy the game should have fun.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Basically the only game I've ever played that drives the player via his intrinsic motivation. I don't just want the story to progress, or a questline, or XP, or a weapon.

I WANT TO SEE WHAT THE SHIT IS OVER THERE

yoda-there-is.gif

Breath of the Wild, my friend

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Nah. Some similarities, but the world wasn't interesting enough moment to moment to provide the same feeling. It was mostly about getting loot in shrine after shrine.
That's fine that it didn't appeal to you, but I'd definitely dispute that description. They did everything in their power in BOTW to _avoid_ letting the player have a loot mindset. They even took the controversial (to me, great) step of making all weapons break, to reinforce the idea that you are never meant to put collecting over exploring. Shrines are just meant as fun puzzles in the world as you explore, not sources of loot.

It’s pretty trash to me. But I can see how it’s popular. Sense of “content, difficulty and customization” allows for alot of time wasting. Ubisoft should be foaming in their mouths. I can see them copying this formula and doing it even better.

Everything kinda feels like it was modded in. The multiplayer, the story, the npcs, etc.

Ive had fun with it though. Ive played with friends and we just shit talk whoever dies first. I like angering my friend as I travel to places I “shouldn’t” be yet and cheese the weak enemy AI to victory.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Sure and that isn’t a knock against the game but the OP is saying it’s one of if not the best open worlds ever, and it being static is a knock against that.
ER is a souls game disguised as an Open World game ... is the shining exemple of quantity over quality (as souls games go - just fought the tenth dragon with the same moves just different "power") and a proof that the casuals/mainstream really f*cking loves open worlds no matter what

Im a souls fans through and through but this has to be the most overrated game since Zelda BoW

Last edited:

murmulis

The problem with ER being open world is that its difficulty is all over the place. People complain that Margit is a difficult boss. But you can skip the castle and come back later.

You can visit areas with endgame difficulty right from the start. And there are ways to get a ridiculous amount of runes there if you know what you're doing. So some areas can feel too hard and some - too easy.

It was possible to overlevel in previous games too, but they were much more linear so the difficulty curve wasn't all over the place.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Surprisingly after all of the hype, I dropped this game

I just wasn't having fun anymore. I was a melee build with parry, I beat Godrick? Then some magic lady on a horse and I didn't know where to go from there and I didn't like the thought of having to look it up. I tried like two areas where I was underpowered then stopped playing completely

It's a good game from what I've played but there was nothing that I found amazing and got me to want to continue

Top Bottom