• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring is easy.

That’s just cheesing. You can do similar things in all souls.
The game is not easy because cheese.
My +10 mimic didn’t win the grade for me.
Watch a proper critique

We are discussing whether its easier or not. Cheesing is still part of the game, hence its easier. No you cannot beat any boss in any Dark Souls without attacking like you can do in Elden Ring. How daft can you fucking be? Nah you know what, I'm adding you to ignore list. I almost never do that shit but you deserve the award. No one is more ignorant than you on this forum. Have a good day.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We are discussing whether its easier or not. Cheesing is still part of the game, hence its easier. No you cannot beat any boss in any Dark Souls without attacking like you can do in Elden Ring. How daft can you fucking be? Nah you know what, I'm adding you to ignore list. I almost never do that shit but you deserve the award. No one is more ignorant than you on this forum. Have a good day.
Omfg. You know there are pacifist runs for all these games ?
That is beside the point. I know there are no spirit ashes in other souls you idiot

Mr Moose

It's as easy as you make it. You can find places to level up faster than say Bloodborne, killing all enemies in the area refills your flasks and travelling is easy. I still get fucked up by later area normal shit, especially those dickheads that use pest threads.
If you want to make it a bit harder don't use mimic and stuff, don't use a shield and just fuck around with random weapons.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's as easy as you make it. You can find places to level up faster than say Bloodborne, killing all enemies in the area refills your flasks and travelling is easy. I still get fucked up by later area normal shit, especially those dickheads that use pest threads.
If you want to make it a bit harder don't use mimic and stuff, don't use a shield and just fuck around with random weapons.

Yeah, but then I feel like I'm working against how the game is "meant" to be played (you're obviously meant to be using summons) just to force some difficulty out of it. I never had to do that in the past games, even when using all the tools I was offered they were challenging (except for player summoning I guess, but I never do that).

nkarafo

See, thing is i never thought about wanting to make any of the previous games easier. They were always challenging enough to make me want to become as strong as i can and use as many tools available as possible.

This one just gives way more tools than you need, thus you need to hold back on purpose to keep it challenging.

Being overpowered may not feel as good but to me it would feel worse if i gimped myself on purpose.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it easy... but it certainly is the easiest and most forgiving From Soulslike yet. I replayed Bloodborne right after Elden and felt it was significantly harder at points. Orphan of Kos required me to play damn near perfectly and bait out parryable moves to punish him. Whereas my "strategy" for Malenia was just the usual unga bunga mode and simply beat the shit out of her in a handful of tries.

Hugare

The moment they announced that the game was going to be open world, anyone with a brain should have known that it would be easier than the average Souls game. Otherwise exploring would be punishing and not as fun as it is right now.

Complaining about optional stuff (summons) is idiotic.

Don't use them. You can make the game as hard as you want. Go naked against Radahn and tell me the game is easy.

Mr Moose

Yeah, but then I feel like I'm working against how the game is "meant" to be played (you're obviously meant to be using summons) just to force some difficulty out of it. I never had to do that in the past games, even when using all the tools I was offered they were challenging (except for player summoning I guess, but I never do that).
Yeah I use summons, whatever makes it easier on me lol. My main two are the sleep arrow summon and mimic. My mimic distracted some bosses which stopped me from getting fucked up while I fuck them up (Maliketh, Godfrey, Mohg, Gideon, Morgott and so on, beat them first time) though sometimes it dies really fast (Godskin duo wrecked it so I had to pretty much solo them). I've now beat all main bosses.

DavidGzz

It all depends on the approach. From all the streamers I've watched it's the hardest one by far. Aris, moist critical, Quinn, etc all played it way different than how I did. They avoided summons and followed the gold rays. They would be stuck on bosses for hours because they wouldn't give up and go explore to level, especially Aris lol. Also, if you avoid using a bow or other ranged options, you're making it a lot harder. I don't remember a boss like Radahn in any of the other games where you can arrive at level 40 and need like 10 NPC summons and ranged attacks to have a chance at winning.

If you use summons, magic, clear every inch of the map, farm extra to overlevel, and give up on hard bosses quickly only to come back stronger, then yes, it can be the easiest one. But honestly, if you went caster in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, it was also easy mode.

Last edited:
rofif rofif Frustrating, isn't it? Feels like you're trying to provide decent criticism for a game you've really liked, but instead you just get scoffed at, or treated like someone who hated the game, or talked down to. It's why I've stopped bothering.

GermanZepp

While souls games feature fixed difficulty, they offer a lot of tools for you to take advantage of it and make the gameplay easier.

So it all depends on how you approach each thing. There are a lot variables.

I have heard tons of times "this boss, this fight etc, is easy" . Then you look at the dude's lvl and is OP for the area, the weapon is maxed out, and the armor set and talismans are from later areas, showing a thought full custom build .

Give me a break.

Like I said multiple times in here.
I'm 110 hours in and not a single boss fight is better than sekiro. The real weak point of the game imo.

MiguelItUp

The cool thing about the game is that you can make it as difficult as you want to depending on how you approach it. Absolutely loved the game though, great experience.

nkarafo

Complaining about optional stuff (summons) is idiotic.

Don't use them. You can make the game as hard as you want. Go naked against Radahn and tell me the game is easy.

Again, this argument doesn't work with the previous games in mind.

In previous Souls games i didn't have to gimp myself by not using what they allow me to use in order to keep them challenging. They were challenging even if i used everything i could and sometimes it felt like that wasn't even enough.

The only thing i don't use in Elden Ring are the Great Rune buffs because they are limited and i hate losing them in non-boss fights, like every time i experiment doing risky jumps here and there.

Keihart

I also thought the game was the easiest souls game, but Melania is a cheap boss - she can only be killed if you have the proper build which isn't exactly fair balance.

Most people in the community find her un-fun and broken.

Either way, the game is the easiest souls game and by the end i was bored because 100 hour games are exhausting, i hope we move away from it.
whatch the clip i responded with, lvl 1 killing Melina, no build.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Just don't level up and you create your own difficulty.

Level up as much as you like if you want to make it easy.

They should make a mode where killing bosses unlocks potential to level up. Haven't beaten the first Boss? Well, you can't level beyond 25 then. Etc.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

joker-heath-ledger.gif

Keihart

See, thing is i never thought about wanting to make any of the previous games easier. They were always challenging enough to make me want to become as strong as i can and use as many tools available as possible.

This one just gives way more tools than you need, thus you need to hold back on purpose to keep it challenging.

Being overpowered may not feel as good but to me it would feel worse if i gimped myself on purpose.
This is present on every souls game, maybe you weren't keen enough to see the advantages and your prefered style is stronger here.
It's easy to get overpowered on every souls game, Demon's Souls is notorious because of it since you decide the order of the zones.

Guilty_AI

I still love the game and i do feel rewarded for exploring/finding everything. Being so powerful is my reward, i get it. It's just that the previous games weren't that eager to reward me so generously.
Thats the thing, the more you explore in this game, the easier it gets due to all the runes and tools you obtain. Play it enough and the game can be a breeze. We had previous threads of people complaining about the game being unfairly difficult and unsurprisingly they usually got to the end in only 60 hours or so.

This is an ARPG through and through. Its all about building your character and finding the best tactics for yourself, less about memorizing enemy/level layouts and attack patterns like previous games. If you do these right you can beat even the hardest bosses on your first or second try.

Last edited:

Bigfroth

The different builds and help you can summon either NPC or Real player, really can tame the difficulty. The game really is adaptable whether you are a soft & squishy gamer or a hardcore gamer lol.

Braag

They did say many times beforehand that this would be a more accessible game. I've beat previous souls game including Sekiro and still found ER plenty hard at times.
You can always do a lv.1 Wretch playthrough.

vpance

I don't really mind it being "easy", it's still a good game despite that. I like the tools you have at your disposal, even if using them does make the game easier than the previous ones. That just adds to the RPG immersion factor.

I feel like all the focus on whether or not the game is difficult is why they're kinda in a rut with trying to outdo themselves, especially when it comes to the bosses. As a result we got a fair amount of bullshit ones that weren't fun, in the pursuit of trying to be difficult.

I'd love to see their next game being even more of a solid RPG, with deeper quests and story lines. The lore in the game is underserved. Even if not every boss was a masterpiece or you beat its ass in 2 hits there would still be a lot of other things to appreciate.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I keep seeing this comment. So, Sekiro is the hardest Souls game?
I just stared sekiro today for fun. I like the combat but the game is 100x harder than elden ring. The normal enemies can even destroy you if your not paying attention. With out summons or leveling areas its brutal. Great controls just brutal aggressive enemies and you don't much health or offensive output.

Last edited:

Ladioss

Definitly on the easy side. Overleveling + summon + cheese ashes pretty much trivialize the whole game, more so than previous souls games.

I keep seeing this comment. So, Sekiro is the hardest Souls game?
Because with Sekiro you only have one playstyle and if you dont learn to parry properly you will never progress. Also you cant summon help.

Souls-borne-ring lets you experiment with playstyles with pros and cons. Wanna be a mage that just destroys a boss. Go for it but you gonna need a good summon for agro because casting take ages. Wanna fight all bosses without summon, most optimal way is pumping points in arcane and bloodlost but you miss out on spells, incantations and most melee weapons etc.

luffie

factually wrong?
Maybe bloodborne dlc or ringed city is comparable (imo these are more fair and balanced) but Dark Souls 2 is way easier.
Again - the fact that a game OFFERS you all the tools to cheese it, does not make it easier. The tools are in every souls game.
You do not find every cheese and items by just exploring. The game is not meant to be 100% explored in one playthrough. Even Miyazaki said that... somewhere... I think.
I you play normally and do not use wiki, you will most likely not be overpowered and not find all items.
It took me up to godskin duo to realize that I need to rely more on my spirit ashes and level them.
I only discovered hoarfrost myself after defeating them. Then ofc I used it until the rest of the game.
But it requires very keen brain to catch up all the small details. How bleed or frost works is different than previous games.
Not going bleed or frost with melee build is 100% a waste in this game. It's something you discover later or learn from wiki.

Now the game is indeed a joke for ng+. But my first playthrough was very frustrating at times. In a bad way like no other souls games except Sekiro. Sekiro was all fun and easy but some bosses were the real challenge out of nowhere
lol dude, I think you just clicked differently to Souls game.

You find Sekiro easy, meanwhile I find Sekiro brutally hard in the beginning, and still hard whenever you have to face more than 1 enemy. Sekiro has a more focused mechanic, you don't deviate from that no matter how your playstyle is.

Like how you find the path to Haligtree was hard because of archers and invisible assassins, I find it easier because I was able to adapt using invisibility and sentry torch. Meanwhile I am not able to do such adaptation in Sekiro.

Something's just clicked differently for different people.

Elden was far more manageable for the tools they offer. In as much as I can agree that Elden Ring bosses are actually harder than previous Souls, previous Souls also doesn't let me drink invulnerability potions and super powerful physicks.

Alphagear

Completely agree. Destroyed every boss including Malenia with Mimic Tear +10.

Played NG+ without Mimic Tear and it was still easy.

The biggest difference is the amount of runes received in this game simply because of the amount of bosses.

I was level 200 after finishing my second playthrough. I have only played 80 hours in total.

The only challenge I received was the Crucible Knights and Draconic Tree Sentinels in my first playthrough.

I'm not even a Souls veteran, found DS3 towards the end was difficult and Sekiro was simply too difficult I gave up.

Bloodborne was the easiest for me until I played ER.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is present on every souls game, maybe you weren't keen enough to see the advantages and your prefered style is stronger here.
It's easy to get overpowered on every souls game, Demon's Souls is notorious because of it since you decide the order of the zones.
No, it's not. It usually requires hours upon hours of farming.

Souls fans: "an easy mode would destroy the foundation of difficulty these games are known for"
Also Souls fans: "game is frickin' easy"

quest

Not Banned from OT
Souls fans: "an easy mode would destroy the foundation of difficulty these games are known for"
Also Souls fans: "game is frickin' easy"
They can cry elden ring is great with the select your own difficulty level. Its as hard as you want to make it. You can use the tools like summons to make it easier like assists in a racing game.

iHaunter

I didn't find it too hard. It was tough early, but currently it's not too bad. I am stuck on one boss though. No spoilers. To this point it wasn't too bad. Really enjoying it though.

Naked Lunch

Jumping straight into Elden Ring from a first time Sekiro playthru and Elden felt super easy. Dumbed down. I actually didnt really even start a serious Elden Ring playthru one, because it felt too easy in comparison to Sekiro, and two, because too much From Software at once is overkill.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm 94 hours in. so far only 2 bosses and 1 npc i invaded gave me any trouble. the game reminds me of DS2 in that there are a lot of bosses but the quality isn't great (they are easy).

the open world let's you abandon a fight and come back later but it also makes it too easy for you to become over powered.

you don't need to know how to parry thanks to guard counters. spirit summons are basically easy mode. as soon as you go into a boss summon your wolves, jellyfish, archer...or even a copy of yourself! seriously, you can summon yourself to help you in a fight lol.

the open world is mostly empty too. it was excited for the first 15 hours or so but now it's boring.

despite all that i am still enjoying the game. i'm playing it every day and can't get enough of it but part of me is still thinking about bloodborne and sekiro. they are still the best from software games. smaller and balanced with actual challenge/skill required.

I thought it was one of the easier games out of 'From like DS2 was also. I got the platinum faster than I thought I would...Its definitely more accessible for people who might have found the difficulty of 'From games a little off putting as far as my own personal circle goes..for instance my best friend hates Souls games but hes got about 90 hours in this one and is having the time of his life. Still an amazing game though, the difficulty being a few notches down didn't make me appreciate it any less.

Top Bottom