• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING is the best selling title of February 2022 and the best selling game of 2022 so far in the US

leo-j

Ps5 was abysmal in February despite launching its biggest games so far. Sony should be delaying games to catch up with hardware. But we will see what happens. Hyping games up when they can’t sell it to people makes little sense. Actually maybe their cross gen strategy is there because of this.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Had a go on my bro’s Xbox. It’s not bad not bad at all. Had a great play session. A lot of oh shit moments. Wish it comes to switch.

Last edited:

TonyK

Year to year spending in games could be lowering because games are getting longer and longer? At least it's my case, I would buy more games if games would be shorter. But games are damn long these days.

It will sell more than 30 million. The fact that the Steam CCU numbers actually increased for the second weekend from already insane numbers, is pretty much unheard of for SP games and tells me it's gonna have legs. I’m sure a portion of buyers will get swept up in the hype and then hate the game but they won’t know that until they’ve bought it.

DS3 selling 10 million shows that From’s user unfriendly way of doing things does have a large audience. I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise as games like PUBG, Dota and CS have hundreds of millions of players, and those can be absolutely brutal until you get your bearings.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
It will sell more than 30 million. The fact that the Steam CCU numbers actually increased for the second weekend from already insane numbers, is pretty much unheard of for SP games and tells me it's gonna have legs. I’m sure a portion of buyers will get swept up in the hype and then hate the game but they won’t know that until they’ve bought it.

DS3 selling 10 million shows that From’s user unfriendly way of doing things does have a large audience. I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise as games like PUBG, Dota and CS have hundreds of millions of players, and those can be absolutely brutal until you get your bearings.
Its 728k right now. Much bigger than yesterday. Game is going strong on steam.

So Elden ring sold more on steam and xbox in US ? yeah US Market is strong for MS.
We have to remember that NPD charts are revenue charts. This means Elden Ring might have actually outsold Horizon on Playstation (like it did on Playstation Store), but because Horizon is more expensive, it made more revenue than Elden Ring. Would certainly be interesting to know.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

It goes to show how Sony’s IP are becoming more and more relevant and gaining prestige.
I think they have built prestige titles for a while. I think in this case though people chose an excellent game out a week earlier over an incredible genre defining game.

kingfey

Banned
I think they have built prestige titles for a while. I think in this case though people chose an excellent game out a week earlier over an incredible genre defining game.
Elden Ring comeout way late to the party. Horizon had an entire week headstart.

Ps5 was abysmal in February despite launching its biggest games so far. Sony should be delaying games to catch up with hardware. But we will see what happens. Hyping games up when they can’t sell it to people makes little sense. Actually maybe their cross gen strategy is there because of this.
Delaying games would be terrible for them. Look at Miles Morales. It always comes back every time a huge shipment of PS5 happens.
That's why this gen will last a lot longer. Sony will want to sell these games for a long time...and with a lot less discounts for that reason unfortunately.

Lupin25

A reduction in sales may correlate with the pandemic’s current decline (global politics/events as well). Great games and good numbers for a strong finish to the quarter. :messenger_ok:

kingfey

Banned
Delaying games would be terrible for them. Look at Miles Morales. It always comes back every time a huge shipment of PS5 happens.
That's why this gen will last a lot longer. Sony will want to sell these games for a long time...and with a lot less discounts for that reason unfortunately.
Sales overlong period of time, loses revenue, due to sales, and cheap used copy disc laying around.

Delaying a game, means you can now have enough systems, to gain what 3x-4x long term sales can do for you.

I love how delusional this comment is.

1 game was our for 1 week, while the other was out after that 1 week, while also being multiplat.

Plus that game is much better than hfw.
There's nothing delusional about it.

1 - You don't know if that extra week would be enough for Elden Ring to catch up on Sony consoles. It's not like Horizon left PS Store or physical stores.
2 - Better is a matter of opinion. What's not a matter of opinion is that one of them runs like ass in all platforms and it's not Horizon.
3 - Sony's 1st party games have gained a certain reputation for their presentation during the PS4 gen. It's not a secret that Sony is pushing more and more for their original content...there's nothing delusional about this.

Last edited:

Then they would delay games until 2023 or 2024. PS5 owners want to play the best version of these games now. How long would you want them to delay?

I agree that Sony's lineup is very strong in 1H. This is the best case scenario for MS. Matching PS5 sales in the first half of the year is a big win since Sony is throwing out high quality games right now and Ghostwire Tokyo is still coming.

I feel like Elden Ring hype was so much it kind of took the attention away from Horizon, Sifu and Gran Turismo. I thought these games would have been hyped to hell like xbox lineup in the second half of 2021.

kingfey

Banned
There's nothing delusional about it.

1 - You don't know if that extra week would be enough for Elden Ring to catch up on Sony consoles. It's not like Horizon left PS Store or physical stores.
2 - Better is a matter of opinion. What's not a matter of opinion is that one of them runs like ass in all platforms and it's not Horizon.
3 - Sony's 1st party games have gained a certain reputation for their presentation during the PS4 gen. It's not a secret that Sony is pushing more and more for their original content...there's nothing delusional about this.
Sony games have prestiges. No denying in that.
But what I disagree with that comment, is making it seem like Elden ring had no competition to HFW.

People knew what HFW was. We had gameplays, and tons of trailers and ads. But no one knew what elden ring was.

People were skeptical about buying it first, due to dark souls. But it subverted that expectation.

Belthazar

Why? Seriously why would you be surprised that platform exclusive sold less overall than a big game that is on on every non Nintendo platform? Horizon FW sold zero copies on Xbox and PC.

I didn't say I was surprised with Elden Ring being #1 overall, I said I was surprised Horizon managed to sell more on Playstation.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Can’t wait for Elden Ring 2 in 2027
i really hope that Elden Ring gets a sequel. I'm loving the game but I can see some things they can improve on.

Bloodborne + Sekiro are brilliant games but I don't want Elden Ring to join them in not getting a sequel. From Software done those games dirty. Bloodborne deserves a sequel or a remaster and while Sekiro really worked as a standalone title it deserved a proper DLC/expansion.

Elden Ring feels like a true spiritual successor to Dark Souls and it's their highest rated game so they'd be fools to let it go. I want to see Elden Ring II and Elden Ring III.

Of course...whatever Miyazaki decides to do then I'm happy with that. If he doesn't want to do anything related to Elden Ring then fine. I want him to keep doing stuff that he is passionate about whether that be Elden Ring II or something completely different. I'll play anything he makes.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
i really hope that Elden Ring gets a sequel. I'm loving the game but I can see some things they can improve on.

Bloodborne + Sekiro are brilliant games but I don't want Elden Ring to join them in not getting a sequel. From Software done those games dirty. Bloodborne deserves a sequel or a remaster and while Sekiro really worked as a standalone title it deserved a proper DLC/expansion.

Elden Ring feels like a true spiritual successor to Dark Souls and it's their highest rated game so they'd be fools to let it go. I want to see Elden Ring II and Elden Ring III.

Of course...whatever Miyazaki decides to do then I'm happy with that. If he doesn't want to do anything related to Elden Ring then fine. I want him to keep doing stuff that he is passionate about whether that be Elden Ring II or something completely different. I'll play anything he makes.

Yeah I think Elden Ring sequels are a lock. Sekiro might get one as well because they own the IP.

tmlDan

Sony games have prestiges. No denying in that.
But what I disagree with that comment, is making it seem like Elden ring had no competition to HFW.

People knew what HFW was. We had gameplays, and tons of trailers and ads. But no one knew what elden ring was.

People were skeptical about buying it first, due to dark souls. But it subverted that expectation.
Anyone who has played a dark souls games would know what elden ring would be.

It's an open world dark souls and that's it, there are no extreme expectations surpassed - people are hyperbolic.

Just because souls fanboys go nuts over it doesn't make that not a fact.

Top Bottom