• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING is the best selling title of February 2022 and the best selling game of 2022 so far in the US

Unless horizon sold twice what Pokemon did, I really find it hard to believe that. What is current ninte do game sales? 50% physical?

Cant Believe It Bbc GIF by The First Team

Nintendo is no where close to 50% digital.

Last edited:

Csr

It was the first number I saw getting reported. In light of the more insane 10 million & 20 million estimates (which would bleed into March which IDK is partly included in February NPD anyway), it's probably a more realistic, safer number to go with for right now (& for February sales).

What are the # of reviews for it on SteamDB?

With the current number of reviews the estimate is 5.16 M..14.19 M

Steamdb doesn't mention this but in average 1 in 31 owners leaves a review from 2021 onwards so that would be an estimate of 8m sales now for a more specific but obviously less reliable estimate. I don't know how many reviews there were in February though.

Digital vs Physical split? I'm talking globally but I also assume that it wouldn't differ much in the UK anyway. It's not like we lack an Internet infrastructure here.
No I meant the platform split.
I haven only seen information for UK.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What’s this made up narrative?
The souls series started on PlayStation and the PS5 is the only platform you can play the full lineup. Are you pretending this game has been adopted as a game on a different platform? Because the 2 best performing versions are PS4 bc and PS5. Not to mention the best selling.

Franky what does performance have anything to do with sales lol.

We only know breakdown of the UK numbers and it's 42% on PS consoles and 32% on Xbox consoles, in a region where the PS consoles have a lot more of an installed userbase. The game is selling respectably fine on both. 10% difference in sales is meaningless, you'd think the PS consoles would have 50~60% of sales if where the franchise started mattered in that kind of a thing.

We only know breakdown of the UK numbers and it's 42% on PS consoles and 32% on Xbox consoles, in a region where the PS consoles have a lot more of an installed userbase. The game is selling respectably fine on both. 10% difference in sales is meaningless, you'd think the PS consoles would have 50~60% of sales if where the franchise started mattered in that kind of a thing.

His point is Elden Ring's success somehow being taken as an L for PS is a stupid narrative to run with

Last edited:
once again, its very telling how hard xbox fans are working to spin a narrative that GT7 or Horizon did anywhere near bad because of Elden Ring. Especially given how close Sony and Fromsoftware are and their history on playstation platforms.

This narrative can only come back to bite them in the ass

Last edited:

FrankWza

Because if you follow the people I replied to, we were along a false narrative of PS owners being upset when Elden Ring is being supported as well as the exclusives.
Trying to rationalize a reason to be upset when there’s absolutely no reason to be.
Did you buy it?

Of course that goes without saying. This game also has more platforms so it's easier to assume higher sales.
But you’ll say something anyway? Makes no sense.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

i really hope that Elden Ring gets a sequel. I'm loving the game but I can see some things they can improve on.

Bloodborne + Sekiro are brilliant games but I don't want Elden Ring to join them in not getting a sequel. From Software done those games dirty. Bloodborne deserves a sequel or a remaster and while Sekiro really worked as a standalone title it deserved a proper DLC/expansion.

Elden Ring feels like a true spiritual successor to Dark Souls and it's their highest rated game so they'd be fools to let it go. I want to see Elden Ring II and Elden Ring III.

Of course...whatever Miyazaki decides to do then I'm happy with that. If he doesn't want to do anything related to Elden Ring then fine. I want him to keep doing stuff that he is passionate about whether that be Elden Ring II or something completely different. I'll play anything he makes.
Id rather DLC.

Kuranghi

Can't wait to play it, I'm guessing at this point there won't be a patch for the PS5 to lock the fps to 60 and PC is fucked up so I'm not waiting til I get my new PC. I'll just play it asap, after finished some other stuff I started in the mean time.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Cant Believe It Bbc GIF by The First Team

Nintendo is no where close to 50% digital.

neither is Sony if we go by the data we have. Only gt7 hit over 50 percent digital and that was in its first week of sales. It may we’ll drop to less than 50 percent over time. Other games like ratchet and miles morales etc arent too far over 30 percent digital., I think ratchet was 18 percent in the uk.

digital isn’t big for first party Sony ip.

Stuart360

Goes to show how much bigger CoD is than Halo and Battlefield is nowadays.

Those two have slid off the charts quickly despite their massive marketing budgets.
A bit harsh on Halo when its also on Gamepass, and the one part of the game that helps keep sales steady (the multiplayer) is seperate and F2P.
I expected no less from some of you though.

Anyway Xbox is killing it, congrats to them.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Him and a few others think it will sell more total life time sales than Elden Ring.
I tried warning them...
ER is that game, that comes out of nowhere, and brings insane amount of sales.
Skyrim, Mario kart 8, Animal crossing, GTAV, Minecraft.

I expect ER to join the 50m sales category in the future. It has perfect environment. Social media, twitch, youtube, mouth to mouth, open world, and most importantly, that 97 open critic.

Hezekiah

Banned
A bit harsh on Halo when its also on Gamepass, and the one part of the game that helps keep sales steady (the multiplayer) is seperate and F2P.
I expected no less from some of you though.

Anyway Xbox is killing it, congrats to them.
Erm it's been said on here that GamePass increases sales of games, not decreases them.

And Halo campaigns used to be talked about for years, whereas as this one is fizzling out rather quickly (as is multiplayer on Steam).

Stuart360

Erm it's been said on here that GamePass increases sales of games, not decreases them.

And Halo campaigns used to be talked about for years, whereas as this one is fizzling out rather quickly (as is multiplayer on Steam).
Yeah and it had 12mil players in its frist 2 weeks, or whatever Microsoft said. Thats the metrics you need to use when taking into account Gamepass and F2P modes etc. Thats just common sense.
And if the MP wasnt seperate, and it was still one full game, sales would obviously of been higher for the game. You have to remember that people are paying $60 for just the campaign.
Do you really think COD would have its massive and consistent sales over the whole year if they were paying for just the campaign?. Come in now.

Hezekiah

Banned
Yeah and it had 12mil players in its frist 2 weeks, or whatever Microsoft said. Thats the metrics you need to use when taking into account Gamepass and F2P modes etc. Thats just common sense.
And if the MP wasnt seperate, and it was still one full game, sales would obviously of been higher for the game. You have to remember that people are paying $60 for just the campaign.
Do you really think COD would have its massive and consistent sales over the whole year if they were paying for just the campaign?. Come in now.
Part of the reason it was f2p I think was because Halo isn't as big as it once was. It just doesn't have the cachet of CoD. Not even close nowadays, and that's no doubt reflected in the metrics - sales and number of players.

Lognor

Banned
microsoft can go head to head with sony in the US. even xbox one wasnt too far behind. its the rest of the world thats the problem for them.
Is that true about the Xbox One not being far behind the PS4? I find that very hard to believe. Xbox One got smoked by the PS4 everywhere. It's a major comeback for Microsoft in the US.

kingfey

Banned
Part of the reason it was f2p I think was because Halo isn't as big as it once was. It just doesn't have the cachet of CoD. Not even close nowadays, and that's no doubt reflected in the metrics - sales and number of players.
????
Halo is big. 343 is the shit that is holding that franchise down. MS needs to have some serious thoughts about 343.
The road map for that game is shit. They wanted to release half assed game. its missing key features, which alot of people are holding it now.

Also shooter games these days are f2p. So people are busy with other games.

kingfey

Banned
Is that true about the Xbox One not being far behind the PS4? I find that very hard to believe. Xbox One got smoked by the PS4 everywhere. It's a major comeback for Microsoft in the US.
Xbox one is still big on US.
X1S and X1X saved the xbox one. Without those 2, that console wouldn't have had any future at all.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I don't believe XBO is anywhere close to the PS4 in US. Of course I don't have any numbers to back it up but just that idea sounds absurd.

EDMIX

Sony games have prestiges. No denying in that.
But what I disagree with that comment, is making it seem like Elden ring had no competition to HFW.

People knew what HFW was. We had gameplays, and tons of trailers and ads. But no one knew what elden ring was.

People were skeptical about buying it first, due to dark souls. But it subverted that expectation.

I actually disagree.

Elden Ring had that whole beta thing where people played it and put out videos on what it was. So I can't say "no one knew" as that would be as silly as saying "no one knew" about HFW or something.

What did we get for HFW to fans that people streamed for hours sir?

So I agree they had competition for sure, but I have to disagree with this idea "no one knew what elden ring was" as I find that hard to believe considering all the information that was out, like literally hours and hours of gameplay out for months, not a few days...MONTHS.

So I'd argue of all the new IP coming this year, I'd have the least skepticism on Elden Ring prior to release. I saw enough to get a great idea on what it was and I'd argue that is not even the norm for such titles as what network test or beta did you get that was hours and hours for CP2077? lol the fuck?

I think you need to look over that statement more carefully King and look up those videos

Haggard Haggard I agree from what I see that its a great game, but I actually agree with tmlDan tmlDan , it is indeed just a open world souls and thats not taking anything away from what this game is, simply that I believe that is the best description someone can give, I've yet to even see really anything to go against that as most of what we are seeing is normal Souls type concepts.

The biggest new concept easily is...you can mount something, thats it, but that is inline with it being a open world souls game. So even as someone that buys all the souls games and likes the concept, I can agree that this really is a open world souls game at its core. That might even have to do with its broader appeal as anything open world gets a lot of attention. So I agree with you both.

Its open world souls.
Its a masterpiece.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Battlefield and CoD aren't.

We'll see what impact 2042 has on the former, but they're much bigger franchises than Halo right now.
they are multiplat, which has 1-3 year release cycle. Since halo5 to halo infinite, there have been 4 battlefield, and 8 call of duty. These releases kept these franchises alive, compared to halo, which was xbox only, until infinite.

Vanguard was shit, but its COD so it sold alot. Battlefield 2042 was disaster, since there was no campaign.

The f2p shooter games these have more users than these franchises, because its free, and easy to get fun from it. Plus the market is getting saturated from these shooter games.

Halo infinite MP mode didnt have enough content, which made pc players leave the game, and go play those f2p games. Even battlefield 2042 is dead on steam.

Usually most sales happen through mouth to mouth. HFW didnt get 2-3 weeks to let that happen.

But Horizon also isn't a new IP; it's a known franchise with a known developer and publisher. That alone means it doesn't need as much WOM factor to retain sales momentum after the initial launch week.

It will pick up sales later, once elden ring chatter dies. But right now, elden ring is stealing the spotlight from that game.

I don't necessarily agree that Elden Ring's stealing HFW's thunder; they're both open-world but do open-world very differently. By that logic, Elden Ring should be stealing shine from every other new release in one way or another that can be specifically laid back to that game.

The reason I don't agree with that notion is because if such were true, HFW, GT7 and other new releases would be underperforming compared to predecessors and expectations, but they aren't. I do agree though that HFW will have long legs and get more WOM as things wind down a bit for Elden Ring (though I expect that game to have strong legs too and continue having good WOM).

Same Pattern for UK and US

Rev
PS5
Switch
Xbox

Units
Switch
Xbox
PS5

Interesting.

With the current number of reviews the estimate is 5.16 M..14.19 M

Steamdb doesn't mention this but in average 1 in 31 owners leaves a review from 2021 onwards so that would be an estimate of 8m sales now for a more specific but obviously less reliable estimate. I don't know how many reviews there were in February though.

8 million seems like a more realistic high-end than the 10 million or 14 million that was being put out there, I can believe that. Could also potentially mean the game's reach 20 million across all platforms already, which is quite insane to think about.

Curious what type of pressures this will put on the team for the inevitable sequel five years down the line. Does SteamDB have a publication date for reviews? I don't read reviews there that often so I'm curious.

they are multiplat, which has 1-3 year release cycle. Since halo5 to halo infinite, there have been 4 battlefield, and 8 call of duty. These releases kept these franchises alive, compared to halo, which was xbox only, until infinite.

But Halo had other games like Halo Wars 2 inbetween 5 and Infinite, no? Those would've done similar to keep the IP relevant, as well as the MCC getting fully fixed for Steam.

The f2p shooter games these have more users than these franchises, because its free, and easy to get fun from it. Plus the market is getting saturated from these shooter games.

Halo infinite MP mode didnt have enough content, which made pc players leave the game, and go play those f2p games. Even battlefield 2042 is dead on steam.

The lack of content has been hurting it on Xbox as well, in fact. And with the F2P shooter market getting more saturated, 343i should've been aware of this and ensured that Halo Infinite had a healthy stream of new content set up to be delivered, let alone ensure that staples like Forge and campaign co-op were in Day 1.

Their inability to do this will make recovering Halo Infinite that much harder if not impossible.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I don't believe XBO is anywhere close to the PS4 in US. Of course I don't have any numbers to back it up but just that idea sounds absurd.
Even when things were at thier worst during the XB1 days, estimates had them within a few million of each other in the US.

KellyM

Which explains why halo infinite wasn't on top 20.
The game is mostly digital. So the sales won't be included on that list.

From UK sales, we found that xbox is 85% digital.

The US is not the UK. So just cause the uk xbox sales are 85% digital doesn't mean they are in the USA. Totally different country and region.

Kagey K

Banned
The US is not the UK. So just cause the uk xbox sales are 85% digital doesn't mean they are in the USA. Totally different country and region.
I'd be surprised if the US isn't just as high or higher, but nobody has offered any info as to the accuracy of that.

luffie

I'm really glad tbh. Elden is one massive complete game on it's own. No gated content, no paid skins etc. I hope this sends a message and encourage more devs to do the same.

Also letting cdpr knows, we still love "good" single player rpg that "works".

Top Bottom