• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring May Just Reinvent The Open-World Genre

D3SCHA1N

"Elden Ring might do a couple of interesting new things within the open-world genre" seems like a slightly more reasonable title for the article.

bitbydeath

iu
"Please, elaborate!"
It’s fun to play.
-You don’t slow down to a snails pace at camps.
-Shooting and general movement is fluid.
-There are a lot more weapons to pick from.
-The motorcycle is a ton of fun to ride, especially when upgraded. (Better than a horse IMO)
-It’s completely open, you can go inside every building.
-The weather is amazing, with snow and rain that accumulates.
-You can play how you want, you can even gather a freaker horde and direct them towards enemy camps and watch the onslaught from a safe distance.
-The world is alive, even travelling from one location to another can be dangerous
-There are tons of dynamic events
-There are numerous enemy types you can even find them clash at random, freaker, marauder, wildlife, reapers, different types of freakers will even fight other freakers
-The music is sublime

There’s probably other areas I’m forgetting, graphics are arguably better but some prefer the cartoony look of RDR2 over the realistic look of Days Gone.

It’s fun to play.
-You don’t slow down to a snails pace at camps.
-Shooting and general movement is fluid.
-There are a lot more weapons to pick from.
-The motorcycle is a ton of fun to ride, especially when upgraded. (Better than a horse IMO)
-It’s completely open, you can go inside every building.
-The weather is amazing, with snow and rain that accumulates.
-You can play how you want, you can even gather a freaker horde and direct them towards enemy camps and watch the onslaught from a safe distance.
-The world is alive, even travelling from one location to another can be dangerous
-There are tons of dynamic events
-There are numerous enemy types you can even find them clash at random, freaker, marauder, wildlife, reapers, different types of freakers will even fight other freakers
-The music is sublime

There’s probably other areas I’m forgetting, graphics are arguably better but some prefer the cartoony look of RDR2 over the realistic look of Days Gone.
Days gone is legit. Red dead is just not fun at all nor has good mechanics. It's crap.

On top of that I would also say red dead even gets beat in the graphics department by days gone... Days gone looks amazing on ps5 at 60. Only thing that could be better were the screen space graphics effects, which most AAA devs keeps using unfortunately.

bitbydeath

Days gone is legit. Red dead is just not fun at all nor has good mechanics. It's crap.

On top of that I would also say red dead even gets beat in the graphics department by days gone... Days gone looks amazing on ps5 at 60. Only thing that could be better were the screen space graphics effects, which most AAA devs keeps using unfortunately.
Agreed. The gameplay alone, (not being a complete slog) propels it above RDR2. It having more features is just a bonus.

S0ULZB0URNE

RDR 2 is empty in comparison.

I'm actually expecting more from Horizon Forbidden Wests' open world. New climbing system, underwater, teams dedicated to making it feel alive. etc.

Days Gone was probably my favorite game last gen. I even like it more than GoW, TLOU2 and HZD. I saw the deluxe (or whatever its called) edition of RDR2 for $25 and I still couldn't pull the trigger on it. I just know I'll hate the "realism", "chores", non-fun elements.

daveonezero

Banned
I like how all these open world games are vastly different t. It just shows that “open world” is not a genre.
You could see that the industry was moving in this direction.

they are melding lots of genres into bigger worlds.

some people will like the slower more sim like features of RDR2. Some will like the style, charm, and genius of BOTW.

While this looks like an awesome From Game I think it’s gonna be an awesome thing no matter what.

Top Bottom