• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring might be one of the most overrated games ever!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The thing about elden ring is people act like it’s an era defining game.
It is to some people. I’d honestly say its The Legend of Zelda for some people. That same feeling of exploration and fighting different types of enemies. In Elden Ring I’m Link, I’m Guts, or I’m some crazy wizard. You could stick a Triforce in there and people wouldn’t care. What I think happens is From Software creates a genre and people only associate it with certain memes after a while. It loses that captivating appeal. Instead, people focus on how they can make a dent in its popularity. I felt like my character was a lot more capable of handling a particular situation in Elden Ring. I could climb a big rock and jump slash enemies without having to find a way up the rock. I could teleport, fight a boss, and then teleport again to continue down another path.

As a fan, you can see the multitude of people trying this out because they either saw a praise article online or a friend of their’s won’t shut up about it. It’s obvious that Elden Ring isn’t for everyone. It also incorporates a lot of other games and their gameplay mechanics. For some fans, that’s the cherry on top. It’s more than just the flavor of the week.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Ah, it took long to come one with this stupid git gud argument. I have beat EVERY From Software game since Demons Souls, solo. Sekiro is way harder and a much better game. Let me reveal something for you in case you don't know... From Software games are not the hardest games out there.

THE hardest? No. In fact if there's a hardest game ever created, I don't know what it is. But From Software makes exceptionally difficult games, and Sekiro deserves to be recognized as one of hardest games out there. In hindsight it can be hard for me to see that, because I've gotten so good at Sekiro, that I forget how punishing that game was when it released. The game was infamous at release for chewing up players and spitting them out.

Guilty_AI

Need you to stay focused here. Each games itemization philosophy is a consequence of their world design not the other way around. And yes, TW3 and RDR2 have better worlds in my opinion. You are wandering around in TW3 and RDR2 encountering stories; in ER you're bounding from one combat encounter to the next.
Its not just the items. For starters TW3 has dozens of spots in the map solely dedicated to be item caches, so it clearly cares about itemization. The story bits are all marked in the map (or can be found through those notice boards) with very few exceptions. Result is you have a map where you literally have to do nothing but go from marker to marker, with no incentive to explore since all those item caches also get marked automatically and are completely useless.
Even when theres unmarked stuff, its also just more useless items or fights you have no incentive to get into since the game basically plays itself after a certain point, even on the highest difficulty. And you guessed, its basically copy/paste content too.

RDR2 has a similar problem, there's 0 incentive to explore. Sure you might be able to trigger into random events by going back and fort in the map, but why would you be wandering around in the first place when you don't really need to? You're basically just going from marker to marker 90% of the time, and with some luck you might trigger something on the way. This isn't exploration, and work just as well (or even better) in much smaller worlds.
In a tighter and smaller game (like every other game FS has made) this would be fine; in ER it just exposes how weak and empty these are as long term goals.
MMORPGs want to have a word with you.

Yes, in TW3 you're also hunting for better (bespoke) gear, and sure you get a glut of weapons and armor (because that's what enemies have on them; the glut is a product of the world making sense - enemies drop their armor on death - not because of a dice role), but you're likely on this hunt because you're chasing a narrative thread and just happen to be in the same area where you heard some good Witcher school gear was.
And all that gear is useless when you're already nearly invincible with some random uncommon sword and armor you found somewhere. In the end you're just chasing story markers. You're not exploring, this is linear game design. For the record, i played on the highest difficulty.
I'm not even going to bother much with RDR2; I can appreciate someone not liking this world, but the idea that you're just meandering from one point to another aimlessly is complete nonsense (and I'm pretty sure you know that just isn't true). RDR2 has a lot of the same flaws GTAV has, but player engagement is not one of them.
Of course you aren't just meandering around, theres no point to, you're just chasing markers. Again, this is linear game design, the open world is rendered completely useless, THATs the issue.

rofif

Banned
Fire Giant was so memorable for me. Sprinting headlong into a great and firey epic with my best bud Alexander. Rushing across the map as your life depends on it. Trying to find a respite of cover in the rolling landscape. How else does a human sized fighter combat a giant if not the ankles? Not to mention the majority of the fight he's on his belly.

Godfrey AOE was annoying until I got the "ahah moment" of knowing to jump when it connects. Again, a brand new mechanic for a Souls boss.

Mohg is brilliant. The blood magic makes it so you feel pressure to make the fight fast. Maybe it's just me, but when I get stuck on a Souls boss I play a run where I just survive as long as I can and chip away at health. Like, only take 2 hits in a window that might allow for 3. This method is completely untenable here, forcing the player outside their comfort zone. I guess you could call it cheap, I call it exciting. Really gets the heart pumping.

Malenia takes all her cues from Sekiro. Daring the player to fight perfectly for two full health bars. Any holes in your game or lapses in your attention are punished. It makes you bring your A game and explore all your tools.

Elden Beast is almost an epilogue. Dream-like in aesthetic. It gives the momentum a parachute back to earth after the intense battle of attrition that was Radagon.
I don't criticize how beautiful and majestic these fights are. That is some of the best I've ever seen for sure.
Elden Beast image and music is breath taking. it's just terrible to fight

rofif

Banned
Ah, it took long to come one with this stupid git gud argument. I have beat EVERY From Software game since Demons Souls, solo. Sekiro is way harder and a much better game. Let me reveal something for you in case you don't know... From Software games are not the hardest games out there.
Idk about that.
Not sure if I've ever played more skill based game than sekiro.
At least in souls and elden ring you can grind and cheese with magic and so on.

Kssio_Aug

Idk about that.
Sekiro is definitely their hardest one (and also a fantastic game btw). But the Souls games are not that much difficult imo. A bit frustrating at times, but overall very manageable.

YoungEmperor96

Neo Member
Fire giant is a terrible fight. You are an ankle biter and can't see his attacks when you are meleeing his feet.
Malekith is a shit eater who never stops attacking and you wait around like an idiot for his infinite combos to end.
Godfrey is good. I hate his aeo volcano attacks but it's a cool boss
Mohg is cheap
Malenia is like malekith. She is cheap, long combos.
Radagon is great
Elden best is shit beast
The endgame-boss experience is quite different for me
-Fire giant: I agree with you a terrible fight. I think he'd be a lot better if he was purely gimmick boss. Like in the boss room there will be ballistas or Catapults, and you can only damage him with them. Much better than cutting the leg like now
-Maliketh: This is a very confusing boss for me. Almost everyone says he's too aggressive, his combos are too long, but I almost never see him. While he's fast, he has a lot of openings, I can almost always hit him easily after every combo. He also has very little hp. While fast his attacks are also very easy elegraphed. Very fair boss.
-Godfrey: one of the best bosses in the series. Totally fair and balanced
-Malenia: Is a good boss but has some bullshit ( Waterfowl, cancel stagger ). With a little editing, it will be a great boss.
-Mohg: I think a great boss. Except for not liking having to use special items to avoid NIHIL, I see him as a fair boss and always exciting when preparing to fight.
-Radagon : Fair boss except teleport move
-Elden Beast : Fair boss except Elden star
Overall, I don't find the end game bosses as bad as people say, or even find them good. But also admit there are some pretty bullshit attacks that can affect the enjoyment of the player.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Get gud is synonymous with looking up online a location where everyone says to grind at. Then leveling up until you can somewhat tank through the game and actually have a chance.

Swing, stab, roll, die, and repeat. I will say there is something special about the world and enemies in Elden Ring however the gameplay is clunky af imo. I wish From would have at least built off of the Bloodborne dodge/dash formula instead bc their parry system is bullshit.

mcjmetroid

I've played them all too. Elden Ring does have issues. I would say it's multiplayer is largely a step backwards and the performance isn't great.

But it just sounds like you don't like open world games in general because most open world games feel like hub world's to get to the next area. I feel there is a disconnect here.

Like I don't like open world games normally but I did enjoy this one. Would I have preferred a dark souls 4? Maybe.
But is an open world game going to have recycled enemies and assets? Absolutely yes but Elden Ring overall has more enemy types than I've ever seen in any videogame.

I cannot say I was disappointed. I went in expecting the downfalls of open world games to be right in my face and for the most part I think they succeeded where other open world games keep failing.

Von Hugh

Fuck right off with this condescending git gud shit.

I think the whole genre/series only succeeds due to stroking neckbeards' egos, getting bragging rights, and in general hiveminded thinking that if somebody thinks the game is bad, you either a) haven't played it b) didn't play it right c) wasn't good at it.

It's like a rite of passage for mouth breathers, and people are ready bind their whole manhood and ego to it.

It's difficult to make an open world game with unique content throughout the entire map. It's one of the reasons why I don't always like open world games.

Field

Its a great game but still my least favourite Souls game besides Sekiro. Too easy if you want to do most of the sidestuff. Too much recycled dungeons where you can often kill the boss in 3-4 hits.

Neolombax

I like Elden Ring because its the most accessible of all the soulsborne games. Its not the greatest game ever, but it is a very well made game with a lot to enjoy. The open world experience for me was more fulfilling than Horizon Forbidden West, in that I stopped playing the latter. The enemy types were interesting to discover and fight, the spells and weapons were interesting tools to use, and I found the lack of hand holding refreshing ( maybe it was the same for other souls games, but I cant say as I suck at them and dont progress enough to expereince it)

I feel like it should not be surprising to find anyone who thinks something is overrated. Its happened to BOTW, RDR2, Horizon, etc etc.

This happens with every game that’s super well received - you don’t somehow have superior taste because you think a super well received game is overrated. Maybe if there was a massive disconnect between audiences and critics - but with Elden Ring there’s not. Simply, you are just in the minority

No game is flawless - it just depends on how meaningful those flaws are to you. And also how subjective. I don’t understand how you could think the open world was boring to explore - but hey if that’s your experience go off

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Of course you aren't just meandering around, theres no point to, you're just chasing markers. Again, this is linear game design, the open world is rendered completely useless, THATs the issue.

This is so reductive and is a complaint you can level at ER if we're getting THAT nitpicky. ER literally has breadcrumbs on the screen. All games of substantial size have guidance of some kind, including ER; that wasn't the point. The point was that in the course of being guided to a final destination (again, every single game mentioned has this), does the world you were traveling through have content enough to justify the size (technically the original point that started this off was about reused assets).

Now, content can be anything, and in RDR2 and TW3 it is. Not so much for ER. If I get tired of the main path on the way to the "final destination", there are a number of unbeaten paths to take in RDR2 and TW3. If I get tired of (which I did) slowmarching my way towards becoming Elden Lord. . .what is the robust content I can engage with that doesn't look exactly like the same content I was just doing? Hell, even in BOTW, which I think is more overrated than this game, there is better usage of the game world than just littering it with more "stuff."

At one point (land of the Giants), I was literally running around the zone looking for: the dragon, the tree, the sites of grace, and the map piece. I wasn't wowed by the new zone (after running through a literal linear zone, guarded by ANOTHER reused boss encounter), I just knew exactly what it was I was looking for, where it likely was, and how efficient I could be so I could move on with this quest. I wasn't engaging with the world, I was playing around it. That doesn't happen in TW3 or RDR2: if you get tired of the breadcrumbs, you can just go and do something else.

. . .not so much here.

Klayzer

This happens with every game that’s super well received - you don’t somehow have superior taste because you think a super well received game is overrated. Maybe if there was a massive disconnect between audiences and critics - but with Elden Ring there’s not. Simply, you are just in the minority

No game is flawless - it just depends on how meaningful those flaws are to you. And also how subjective. I don’t understand how you could think the open world was boring to explore - but hey if that’s your experience go off
Counter culture.

Thief1987

Typical souls fanboy living in a delusion that they are, so he can brag about it at every corner.

Guilty_AI

This is so reductive and is a complaint you can level at ER if we're getting THAT nitpicky. ER literally has breadcrumbs on the screen. All games of substantial size have guidance of some kind, including ER; that wasn't the point.
The guidance in ER is subtle and vague enough to actually make it fun. The guidance in games like RDR2 is literally an icon on screen with MISSION HERE that even give you a GPS guidance on how to get there.

People didn't meme this image for no reason
jason-elden-ring-ubisoft.jpg

The point was that in the course of being guided to a final destination (again, every single game mentioned has this),
How you're guided is the point. Throwing an icon saying exactly what you'll find and a a gps showing you the exact path is TERRIBLE open world design.

does the world you were traveling through have content enough to justify the size (technically the original point that started this off was about reused assets).
ER? Yes. Does it have copy paste content? Yes. Is it frequent enough or pointless enough that you wonder why its even there? No.

RDR2 and TW3? No, those games would've worked just as well or better with hub worlds.
Now, content can be anything, and in RDR2 and TW3 it is. Not so much for ER. If I get tired of the main path on the way to the "final destination", there are a number of unbeaten paths to take in RDR2 and TW3. If I get tired of (which I did) slowmarching my way towards becoming Elden Lord. . .what is the robust content I can engage with that doesn't look exactly like the same content I was just doing? Hell, even in BOTW, which I think is more overrated than this game, there is better usage of the game world than just littering it with more "stuff."
Like what? Playing darts in some pub? Gwent? Going bowling with your cousin?
Even if one of these happen to be fun, its like making a chess game where you have to play flute every 10 rounds, completely meaningless and shows a lack of focus. There are people who enjoy that, and addmitedly there are games that implement those "minigames" in a way that actually makes the experience more interesting (most famously yakuza, and honestly i'd put Rockstar games in the ones who don't), but many people prefer focused experiences where everything you do is done for the sake of a final goal, and those will prefer Elden Ring approach to that of a RDR or GTA.

What you do if you get tired after a 2 hours section of playing the game in elden ring? You turn off your machine and go do something else, eat something, hug your family. The answer isn't doing something boring inside the game that has nothing to do with the actual game. Then you get back to your quest the other day or when you feel like it again

At one point (land of the Giants), I was literally running around the zone looking for: the dragon, the tree, the sites of grace, and the map piece. I wasn't wowed by the new zone (after running through a literal linear zone, guarded by ANOTHER reused boss encounter), I just knew exactly what it was I was looking for, where it likely was, and how efficient I could be so I could move on with this quest. I wasn't engaging with the world, I was playing around it.
It just took you the entire game to realize the patterns, not to mention one actual criticism you can make of ER is that the land of the giants does indeed feel rushed when compared to other areas.

That doesn't happen in TW3 or RDR2: if you get tired of the breadcrumbs, you can just go and do something else.
Yes, it 100% happens with those games. And you implicitly admitted to it, you got tired of playing the game, playing those games for you was so boring that you thought going to play Horseshoe Pitching or Gwent just because looked like a more interest way to spend your time than playing the actual game. Thats how boring those games were to you.

Its like getting PGR4 only to spend 80% of your time playing geometry dash in the garage. Are you really playing the racing game PGR4 at that point?

Last edited:

YoungEmperor96

Neo Member

Yeah this depends a lot on whether you love the game's strengths enough to ignore its weaknesses. People are not stupid enough to not see the flaws of the ER. I love the world design of ER, love to exploration, find cool items, read lore, admire the majestic scenery. I also clearly see the flaws of the ER, but for me the strengths are completely overwhelming, enough to keep my overall experience from being affected too much. Of course everyone is different, for those who don't like to explore the deadly world of ER, don't see good storytelling, generally don't feel its strengths, the weak points will carry more weight and influence to the experience, leading to overrated, overhype,....

I have been playing the game for quite some time now, but I expected so much better specially given how well received it was. It has so many flaws that would never have a pass for pretty much any other 3rd party franchise, that I can't even comprehend how it has been so highly regarded.

First, the main issue: The open world exploration SUCKS TREMENDOUSLY! I haven't been that much bored by exploration for so long. Not even Far Cry and Assassin's Creed have been this boring to explore, and I do consider them quite boring nowadays. There's no reward to wander around the map, other than that sense of finally finding a cave with some sort of decent level design to go through and fight a boss. The open world is basically a huge useless HUB which you need to traverse to find the actual content of the game.

And talking about caves, good Lord, they were definitely not ashamed at all to recycle content. I have been in pretty much the same catacomb numerous times. Dungeons with extremely similar looks and patterns: you get into a cave, rest at the state of grace, go down stairs and find a locked door, then make your way through this little dungeon, pull a lever, come back to the start, the door is open, fight the boss. Also, the boss might be one you have already fought like 3 or 4 times already before, with slightly variation of attacks and carrying a different weapon. Still, it's already MUCH better than wandering that barren open world.

I'm also under the impression that From Software can't figure out anymore how to make the game more challenging to it's players other than making bosses faster, with extremely high poise, and with big combos that will lock you until they manage to break your defense and fuck you up. This is the "easiest" Soul game because you basically need to kill dozens of optional bosses in order to overpower the main ones.

Also fighting with big and slow weapons is a chore now, because the window you have now to damage the bosses is minimal before they restart their combo cycle. The balance that the previous games used to provide is pretty much gone.

And I won't even talk about the graphics and performance, this game runs worse in my computer than a lot of others that looks way better. But this is no surprise, and it's something that I can ignore as long as I'm having fun with the game.

But anyway, Elden Ring is like two steps backwards compared to all their previous games. Up until now, I always praised the level design of any Souls games, Bloodborne and Sekiro; but it is almost nonexistent in ER. After what they've done to Sekiro, I believed From Software was gonna be able to deliver their best next Souls game, but instead they gave me an unbalanced Boss Rush game with a useless and boring open world hub.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Edit: And because of this, some people in this thread traced my profile. A lowly degenarate that spend the day playing and praising Far Cry, Assassins Creed and Horizon, at my mother's basement, requiring for attention. The game might disappoint, but the hardcore fanbase never does.
Spot on post

Fredrik

Idk about that.
The 8/16-bit era had some really difficult games, some arcade games weren’t even made to be finished since they wanted us to spend more money. Truxton is brutal. I’d say that Zelda 2 is up there too when it comes to difficulty, and frustration. And it took me quite awhile to get through FIST 2 on the C64 too even with save states. And I’ve never been able to finish Shadow of the Beast 2 on the Amiga. For slightly newer ones Ikaruga is up there. Hollow Knight is difficult as well.

Kssio_Aug

The 8/16-bit era had some really difficult games, some arcade games weren’t even made to be finished since they wanted us to spend more money. Truxton is brutal. I’d say that Zelda 2 is up there too when it comes to difficulty, and frustration. And it took me quite awhile to get through FIST 2 on the C64 too even with save states. And I’ve never been able to finish Shadow of the Beast 2 on the Amiga. For slightly newer ones Ikaruga is up there. Hollow Knight is difficult as well.
Yeah, I think Hollow Knight is considerably harder than most Souls games, mainly because of the boss fights (the platform is quite alright). Specially some of the optional bosses, they're insane. Fantastic game though!

TrebleShot

I mostly agree with the OP, maybe if I had the time or inclination to spend 8 hours a day playing it I’d love it but I don’t , I dip in and out of it playing an hour or so here and there and unsurprisingly getting nowhere, in my opinion that’s terrible game design and the game has a horrible sense of progression.

I’ll likely never finish it.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Your birth is overrated... (that was way to harsh sorry)

Just kidding, it's a game, an culmination of ideas manifested in a (complete) product for us to play. Ofcourse there's shit you dont like. It's not if you yourself made it all in your vision of what's good etc

For a first attempt it's mighty awesome probably serves as a blueprint

Still GOTY for me

Last edited:

Josemayuste

I mostly agree with the OP, maybe if I had the time or inclination to spend 8 hours a day playing it I’d love it but I don’t , I dip in and out of it playing an hour or so here and there and unsurprisingly getting nowhere, in my opinion that’s terrible game design and the game has a horrible sense of progression.

I’ll likely never finish it.

Neither do I had time, but I found the game to be the opposite of what you just described, seriously, I had almost to none free time, and I was almost constantly getting rewarded for entering any cave, dungeon, etc . so.. yeah, maybe it's me idk.

Fredrik

Yeah, I think Hollow Knight is considerably harder than most Souls games, mainly because of the boss fights (the platform is quite alright). Specially some of the optional bosses, they're insane. Fantastic game though!
Yeah Hollow Knight is all about studying attacks and movements, then time attacks and dodges perfectly, there are no easy ways to go through it really. I have a hate-love relationship with it tbh. It’s my favorite genre and I think it’s absolutely amazing in many ways but there are also too long walks back to souls for my liking and boss fights that made me frustrated enough that I would’ve snapped the disc in half if I could. Luckily I bought it digitally so I could eventually finish it.

Metroid Dread is difficult in a better way, lots of retries but without that hyper-frustration, easy between bosses but the bosses are up there as some of the best ones ever, loved it.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I have been playing the game for quite some time now, but I expected so much better specially given how well received it was. It has so many flaws that would never have a pass for pretty much any other 3rd party franchise, that I can't even comprehend how it has been so highly regarded.

First, the main issue: The open world exploration SUCKS TREMENDOUSLY! I haven't been that much bored by exploration for so long. Not even Far Cry and Assassin's Creed have been this boring to explore, and I do consider them quite boring nowadays. There's no reward to wander around the map, other than that sense of finally finding a cave with some sort of decent level design to go through and fight a boss. The open world is basically a huge useless HUB which you need to traverse to find the actual content of the game.

And talking about caves, good Lord, they were definitely not ashamed at all to recycle content. I have been in pretty much the same catacomb numerous times. Dungeons with extremely similar looks and patterns: you get into a cave, rest at the state of grace, go down stairs and find a locked door, then make your way through this little dungeon, pull a lever, come back to the start, the door is open, fight the boss. Also, the boss might be one you have already fought like 3 or 4 times already before, with slightly variation of attacks and carrying a different weapon. Still, it's already MUCH better than wandering that barren open world.

I'm also under the impression that From Software can't figure out anymore how to make the game more challenging to it's players other than making bosses faster, with extremely high poise, and with big combos that will lock you until they manage to break your defense and fuck you up. This is the "easiest" Soul game because you basically need to kill dozens of optional bosses in order to overpower the main ones.

Also fighting with big and slow weapons is a chore now, because the window you have now to damage the bosses is minimal before they restart their combo cycle. The balance that the previous games used to provide is pretty much gone.

And I won't even talk about the graphics and performance, this game runs worse in my computer than a lot of others that looks way better. But this is no surprise, and it's something that I can ignore as long as I'm having fun with the game.

But anyway, Elden Ring is like two steps backwards compared to all their previous games. Up until now, I always praised the level design of any Souls games, Bloodborne and Sekiro; but it is almost nonexistent in ER. After what they've done to Sekiro, I believed From Software was gonna be able to deliver their best next Souls game, but instead they gave me an unbalanced Boss Rush game with a useless and boring open world hub.

Edit: And because of this, some people in this thread traced my profile. A lowly degenarate that spend the day playing and praising Far Cry, Assassins Creed and Horizon, at my mother's basement, requiring for attention. The game might disappoint, but the hardcore fanbase never does.

But why would you use "high praise" the latter is highly personal on forums and manufacturerd if those praises came from industry tools. To use that as some sort of baseline of quality experience is quite naieve.

And exploration is awesome because of its design. So much bizarre ahit. Praising Far Cry above ER is... wow

Last edited:

Fredrik

Neither do I had time, but I found the game to be the opposite of what you just described, seriously, I had almost to none free time, and I was almost constantly getting rewarded for entering any cave, dungeon, etc . so.. yeah, maybe it's me idk.
Yeah literally everytime I play it I find something new, I’m amazed at the amount of content they’ve put into this game.

Kssio_Aug

Yeah Hollow Knight is all about studying attacks and movements, then time attacks and dodges perfectly, there are no easy ways to go through it really. I have a hate-love relationship with it tbh. It’s my favorite genre and I think it’s absolutely amazing in many ways but there are also too long walks back to souls for my liking and boss fights that made me frustrated enough that I would’ve snapped the disc in half if I could. Luckily I bought it digitally so I could eventually finish it.

Metroid Dread is difficult in a better way, lots of retries but without that hyper-frustration, easy between bosses but the bosses are up there as some of the best ones ever, loved it.
I totally plan to play Metroid Dread soon! Looking forward to it!

Fredrik

I love Metroidvania, but surprisingly never played a Metroid game.

Help Me Wow GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski
😳 I don’t even know what to say to that…
You’ve missed my #1 best game of all time - Super Metroid. Dread rushed up my list and was close to dethrone Super at first but unfortunately they added too many exploration hints, being lost and not knowing how to find everything is half the fun so it stumbles down simply because it was too easy to 100%. Bosses are better in Dread though. Controls too. It’s a marvelous game, plays like a dream.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A huge :messenger_ok: at the people complaining about re-used bosses.

I can't even think of a game with the enemy variety that Elden Ring has, but yeah...let's zero in on some fucking miniscule issue and make it the centerpiece of an argument.

Whiny bitches.
Hey bro, I don't mind some enemy reusing but only if it's done right. And I think there are two reasons why I didn't like it in ER:
  1. Normal enemies are reused, with different stats to make them harder, but while sharing the same exact appearance. They should have done some recoloring or adding some details to the models to differentiate them from their weaker counterparts. I wss tired of killing the same looking big bat enemies over the whole map while they were looking the same. Skyrim was able to differentiate the different kinds of Draughs, and I expected ER was able to do the same.
  2. I don't mind mid-boss model recycling. But main boss model recycling? Fuck that man. This applies to Mogot, Mogg, Godrick and Astel, and for me, finding their models being reused was a big let down. A big main boss fight should be something really cool, not a disappointment because oh, you already fought it before.
Still a 9.5 game for me.

Kssio_Aug

Go for Super Metroid and Fusion first

😳 I don’t even know what to say to that…
You’ve missed my #1 best game of all time - Super Metroid. Dread rushed up my list and was close to dethrone Super at first but unfortunately they added too many exploration hints, being lost and not knowing how to find everything is half the fun so it stumbles down simply because it was too easy to 100%. Bosses are better in Dread though. Controls too. It’s a marvelous game, plays like a dream.
I will consider playing Super Metroid first!

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

I'm still early (level 20) but while my opinion of this game is good so far (not best of all time material) it feels like From overestimated the commitment you need to the open world formula in your design to make these types of games truly succesful.

On top of that, requiring an empty consumable to engage in co-op blows... DS3 design was great, ember gave you truckloads of hitpoints and after a boss you autoembered, generating a lot of opportunities for co-op, both jolly (since people would ember before bosses therefore allowing them to see signs) and not so jolly co-op.

Chiggs

Hey bro, I don't mind some enemy reusing but only if it's done right. And I think there are two reasons why I didn't like it in ER:
  1. Normal enemies are reused, with different stats to make them harder, but while sharing the same exact appearance. They should have done some recoloring or adding some details to the models to differentiate them from their weaker counterparts. I wss tired of killing the same looking big bat enemies over the whole map while they were looking the same. Skyrim was able to differentiate the different kinds of Draughs, and I expected ER was able to do the same.
  2. I don't mind mid-boss model recycling. But main boss model recycling? Fuck that man. This applies to Mogot, Mogg, Godrick and Astel, and for me, finding their models being reused was a big let down. A big main boss fight should be something really cool, not a disappointment because oh, you already fought it before.
Still a 9.5 game for me.

1. Pointing to Skyrim as a superior example of differentiation? Sorry, man...we're not even in the same city on this issue, let alone ballpark.
2. I can understand some of the examples you listed, but Morgott is the same character as Margit. So now we're going to indict games that have you fight the same boss throughout the game, but with variations in appearance and move set? We're going to need an army of litigators for this one.

YoungEmperor96

Neo Member
I'm still early (level 20) but while my opinion of this game is good so far (not best of all time material) it feels like From overestimated the commitment you need to the open world formula in your design to make these types of games truly succesful.

On top of that, requiring an empty consumable to engage in co-op blows... DS3 design was great, ember gave you truckloads of hitpoints and after a boss you autoembered, generating a lot of opportunities for co-op, both jolly (since people would ember before bosses therefore allowing them to see signs) and not so jolly co-op.
In fact, it was extremely successful
Still a 9.5 game for me.
I think what makes it feel repetitive compared to previous games is the lack of exclusive enemies. In previous games, when you arrived in a new area, there was always a new type enemy as the main character. Maybe only 2-3 types, but enough to create a feeling of freshness. The areas of the ER include too many enemy types, resulting in areas that feel the same. I think it's much better to reduce the variety of enemies in each area, moving them more widely. For example, completely remove Giant enemies in Limgrave and Liurnia, make Giant, Albinauric archers and Zamor knight the main enemies of the Snow area, maybe add a few other enemies. This will make the area no longer feel repetitive as it is

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
1. Pointing to Skyrim as a superior example of differentiation? Sorry, man...we're not even in the same city on this issue, let alone ballpark.
2. I can understand some of the examples you listed, but Morgott is the same character as Margit. So now we're going to indict games that have you fight the same boss throughout the game, but with variations in appearance and move set? We're going to need an army of litigators for this one.
1. What's your point? Yeah Skyrim does a better job differentiating the tiers of enemies inside the same species. Here, all the beast men look the same and all the misbegotten lool the same through the whole game.
2. I don't care if Mogot is valid because of lore reasons. It's still quite lazy to me. And what happens with Mogg and Astel, are they also projections of their real selfs?

Y YoungEmperor96 yeah I think you nailed it. Reaching the Giant Mountaintops and seeing the same enemies as in Limgrave was kind of a letdown.

Last edited:

Chiggs

1. What's your point? Yeah Skyrim does a better job differentiating the tiers of enemies inside the same species. Here, all the beast men look the same and all the misbegotten lool the same through the whole game.

LOL. Let's throw a stupid helmet on Draugr. Wow, it's like a totally different game!

Meanwhile...all of this without any formal DLC.

2. I don't care if Mogot is valid because of lore reasons. It's still quite lazy to me. And what happens with Mogg and Astel, are they also projections of their real selfs?

Cool. I'd also like to point out that some of the retreads you're listing aren't even mandatory bosses, so you're basically complaining about a retread showing up in an optional dungeon. Unlike Skyrim, of course, where every single boss encounter in a dungeon was a unique snowflake. :messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
Top Bottom