• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring PC performance thread

Thought I might create this thread as a place to help other gauge what they should expect on a performance level by comparing specs from everyone.

There's also this trick that might actually help some:

Elden Ring PC framerate fix

As for me, I guess I am one of the lucky few for now.

i9 12900KF
3070 ti
4000mhz DDR4
Windows 11 Pro
A bit of overclock here and there

Game is running very smooth so far, no stuttering, no frametime issues, no frame spike. I run the game at 4K, max settings. I cannot lock it to 60 though. I get anywhere between 45-60 fps. I get around 50-55 fps in the first outpost with many enemies, shortly after you come out at the beginning. Saw a few drops around 45 here and there.

Edit: First forest area just before the first outpost runs anywhere between 49-60 fps, most of the time being around 53-54 fps. Heaviest spot so far, no contest. Then first outpost runs anywhere between 55-60 fps. Then everywhere else I went, it was a nearly locked 60 fps. Even during Tree Sentinel, it was mostly locked 60 fps.

Pretty happy with the performance. No stutter at all. That said....

On my laptop:

i7 9750H (6 cores / 12 thread @ 4.0ghz
16gb RAM DDR4 2666mhz
Nvidia RTX 2080 max-Q
Windows 11 Pro
1TB NVME

Running the game at Maximum settings, 1080p

It's literally Stutters Heaven. Horrible ones at that. I now understand what people meant. It's playable, but barely. Sometimes I get freezes that last up to 2 seconds. It' too bad because otherwise it's pretty much a locked 60 fps. The stutters make it so it barely ever happens. I've also tried all the fixes posted on the internet so far. App set at high performance, unlimited cache, steam overlay disabled, disabled Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Seems like Alder Lake owners (12700k, 12900k) do not really suffer from stutters from what I gathered so far.

Last edited:
1070Ti
i5 6600k (4 threads)

Older system here. Found decent initial settings. Getting mostly 60 in open areas and rock solid 60 indoors. Textures max, lighting and shading high, the rest the stuff is medium or low. Turning AA off gave me a huge boost with minimal IQ difference.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
5800X
16Gb RAM
SSD

Performance: between excellent and weird. 50-60fps at 4K (kinda expected), solid 60fps at 1440p. Everything maxed out except motion blur which is off. 2 hours playtime.

The weird part? 0 stutters so far. Except one time, just after opening the game, where it stutter like crazy during 5 or 6 seconds.

Pretty good so far, but man, that was crazy.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
32gb DDR5
LGC9 w/GSync
Running it from a 2TB NVME

Performance is mostly fine. 4k maxed, I'm getting between 55-60fps. No hugely worrisome stutters or hitching. It isn't the best port I've ever seen, but it also isn't the worst, and from what I've experienced, there's currently zero reasons to panic, refund, and rebuy on console.

SeraphJan

Not the best PC version, hope they can patch it.

I'm running on 4K Ultra with 6800 XT, 60 fps with some stutter

Last edited:

Lightjolly

Neo Member
2070 super
i7-7700
16gb ram
HDD

High Settings at 1080p

60 fps when indoors
45-60 outdoors, with occasional stuttering

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Intel i9-9900k
NVIDIA RTX 3090
64 GB DDR4 RAM (3200 MHz)
1TB SSD

I haven't actually played the game yet. Tomorrow I'll see how it runs.

EDIT: I get solid 60 fps using Borderless Fullscreen at 3840x2160 with Maximum settings (other than Motion Blur which I turned off). The issue is that there is stuttering and screen tearing that is not due to any FPS loss. This is with the latest NVIDIA Game Ready driver that was released a week or two ago and should be "Elden Ring optimized". So there definitely is a performance issue, but the game isn't non-playable. But it's definitely distracting, and I want this fixed as soon as possible.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
A 3090, geez, that must cost a fortune during this inflated market.

I bought it at Best Buy and paid MSRP. Then I sold my three year old used 2080Ti for $1100, recouping most of my costs. I actually still feel bad about selling it for so much. But I tell myself that if I'd sold it for less then whomever bought it would just turn around and resell it for a higher amount.

SeraphJan

I bought it at Best Buy and paid MSRP. Then I sold my three year old used 2080Ti for $1100, recouping most of my costs. I actually still feel bad about selling it for so much. But I tell myself that if I'd sold it for less then whomever bought it would just turn around and resell it for a higher amount.
giphy.gif

hollams

Gold Member
I was in an area with about 5 bloodstains all pretty close together and when I would run over them I would get a noticeable slowdown every time. I would run to the outside of the bloodstains and no slowdown.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I'm thinking of getting it not sure yet but I am interested to see how it runs on my pc

Msi suprim X 3080ti
64gb 3600Mhz

Last edited:

vpance

After reaching the first step area the slow downs just running through was pretty frequent. 1-2s where it just goes into slow mo to load new parts of the world I guess.

Got a little better after dying a few times and coming back to the same spots but it's pretty annoying when it happens. When I was fighting that first mounted knight guy and it was slowing down multiple times.

4K max settings
Ryzen 3600
6800XT
32GB RAM
1TB WD Black SN750

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Playing at 2k resolution.
3070, 10600K, 16GB-RAM, SSD WD.
High settings, getting 60fps all the time except for loading screens and sometimes drops to 55-59 range but quickly goes back up.
My problem: Frame Stuttering, sometimes when you are in some areas (open areas and not underground) the frames start to stutter and it feels awful, but while this happens fps stays 60. I followed the advice in the OP and it helped to reduce those stutters, now it runs much better.
It does still have some slight issues but nothing to take away from the game imo, my first impressions are very positive.
I'm planning to play it more than once, so by the time for my 2nd playthrough which will be magic, i'm sure all those issues will be fixed.

However im pissed that Fromsoft didnt add Playstation buttons for PC, i dont like Xbox buttons to be honest and all my controllers for PC are Playstation. I guess i'll wait for mods, but its really stupid and frustrating how developer barely bother to add such easy yet good feature.

Stuart360

Posted this in the other thread but its better here i suppose -

1080p/60 with max settings and a near constant 60fps with my 980ti. Spent 1 hour playing and just messing around going around the starting large area. Almost none of this loading stutter people have talked about.
Just like with Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro, 2 PC ports that had problems for a lot of PC gamers but were perfect for me, and its the same here. I mean maybe it gets worse the further you go in but its been near flawless in my opening hour.
I swear some people dont look after their PC's, or know how to keep them running well.

3700X, 32GB Ram, 980ti, Sata SSD.

Used Nvidia vsync from the control panel over the ingame vsync. Something i have found that helps a lot with games that are supposed to have stutter problems.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm running it on min. specs. I'm getting 60 fps indoor, 47 fps outdoor, at 1080p high settings. It has barely noticeable microstutters and occasional frame drops though, especially in outside. I will try again with new amd drivers.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Haven't tried it personally yet, but gdam have a lot of great games gotten mixed reviews lately because of reports of bugs/poor-performance or some other mess. Warhammer 3, Horizon FW, and now this game have all gotten much lower ratings for some reason. I don't personally see it. I think games are bigger now and the first reviews are hyper-reactionary. Time will tell, because scores even out in the longrun if a game is good.

Kacho

Gold Member
RTX 2070
I7-12700k
32gb DDR4

1440p @ high settings

Runs at 54-60fps the majority of the time. Occasional big dip but infrequent enough to not be detrimental to the overall experience. No severe stuttering or freezing. Pretty happy after all the impressions I read.

Fredrik

How bad is the fps spikes?
Can you notice any stutter with gsync on?

Trying to decide if I should buy it on PC or console

Alternative 1:
3800x
370ti
16GB
1080p gsync screen

Alternative 2:
Xbox Series X
No VRR TV to save it

Alternative 3:
PS5
Coil-squeeling

I want a demo 😐

Stuart360

How bad is the fps spikes?
Can you notice any stutter with gsync on?

Trying to decide if I should buy it on PC or console

Alternative 1:
3800x
370ti
16GB
1080p gsync screen

Alternative 2:
Xbox Series X
No VRR TV to save it

Alternative 3:
PS5
Coil-squeeling

I want a demo 😐
I dont know if thats supposed to be a joke but with that PC you got to go PC.
Check my post above, i have a worse PC than you and i'm getting an almost locked 60fps at 1080p and max settings (minus motion blur).

Fredrik

I dont know if thats supposed to be a joke but with that PC you got to go PC.
Check my post above, i have a worse PC than you and i'm getting an almost locked 60fps at 1080p and max settings (minus motion blur).
Thanks!
My PC setup kinda sucks for the complete experience though, 24” screen and 2 studio monitors. But I’m allergic to framerate problems so I think you’re right.
Bonus: Maybe it’ll run on Steam Deck

5800x
32 GB ram

Mostly locked at 60 FPS at 3440x1440 with everything set to max. seeing the odd drop to 45

is there a way to disable v sync? unless things have changed i dont think g sync will actually work? might help with the stutters

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
3060+i7 11370H+16GB DDR4-3200+2TB NVMe laptop. Playing on High/Max mix @ 1080p.

Getting 55-60fps pretty much everywhere. Not getting stuttering, or it's limited to rare drops into the high 40s pretty much tied to entering a new area or the beginning of a boss fight. Can't sustain a solid 60fps no matter what settings I choose, even 720p/Low. I was fooling around with settings and watching the performance readout and I was at 56fps with only 60% GPU and CPU usage. Not really sure what to make of all of it.

Loading from menu into gameplay takes about 9secs, which is decent considering my NVMe was only $150 for 2TB at the expense of being only like 2400MB/s.

tvdaXD

I'll be playing on 1440p, I'll be able to check later today how it runs. Some of the specs are CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X & GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080Ti OC & RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR4 (3200)

Edit: Runs like shit, it's smooth for me, but that better be with a system like mine. I expected better, also no PS5 controller support sucks ass, and the mouse is on it's lowest setting still too fast. Waiting for patches before I actually start the game.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
12700k + 3070

Virtually solid 60fps @ 1440p all max settings except when moving through a loading area which causes minor stutters.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
3060+i7 11370H+16GB DDR4-3200+2TB NVMe laptop. Playing on High/Max mix @ 1080p.

Getting 55-60fps pretty much everywhere. Not getting stuttering, or it's limited to rare drops into the high 40s pretty much tied to entering a new area or the beginning of a boss fight. Can't sustain a solid 60fps no matter what settings I choose, even 720p/Low. I was fooling around with settings and watching the performance readout and I was at 56fps with only 60% GPU and CPU usage. Not really sure what to make of all of it.

Loading from menu into gameplay takes about 9secs, which is decent considering my NVMe was only $150 for 2TB at the expense of being only like 2400MB/s.
Laptop uh... Are you playing with it plugged to the TV? I had my PC like that, using the TV as second monitor, and for some reason it ran worse than on my main monitor even at the same resolution. I fixed that by running the game or borserless fullscreen.

demigod

32GB
1tb nvme

2560x1440 max settings no ultrawide because FromSoftware sucks

My loads are super fast. Im only at beginning where I got my horse, don’t think i’ve had a stutter yet. I did notice some fps drops when it was raining, but it went away quick. I’m playing offline, wonder if that helps.

5950x
32gb DDR4 3600 C16
1TB Sumsung 980 Pro

Playing on Maximum at 4K. Most of the time it's running 60 fps with about 60 - 70% gpu usage. Every now and then though the usage seems to spike and i get some drops to 45 - 50. This seems to happen no matter the settings or resolution I play the game on. It's got to be some kind of bug in the game. But most of the time it's pretty good.

Brothers PC is
3900x
2080Ti
32gb DDR 4 3200 C16
1TB Corsair MP600

He is also playing at max 4k. He gets about 45 - 50 fps solid and is happy with that, prefers 4k to 1440p as he can't see the difference above 30fps. He's having similar frame drops to around 30 in the same sort of areas I am though.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Laptop uh... Are you playing with it plugged to the TV? I had my PC like that, using the TV as second monitor, and for some reason it ran worse than on my main monitor even at the same resolution. I fixed that by running the game or borserless fullscreen.
When my laptop is plugged in and connected to a screen it disables Optimus and allows it to run much faster, like +10-15%. Borderless seems to run a couple frames faster, but it doesn't look as crisp for some reason. I even tried 800x600 and still couldn't get to 60fps all the time. It looks and runs good enough for me, so I'll just live with 55-60fps. It's just the game.
---
For shits and giggles I played on Ryzen 1600 set to 2c/4t and RX 460 2GB.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I don't know if this will help anyone, but I turned the grass down from maximum to high, and it immediately cleaned up any stuttering or frame drops I was having. I just finished a boss battle with no drops at all, and the open world is a locked 60.

Juza

Intel i9-9900k oc
NVIDIA RTX 2080ti
16 GB DDR4 RAM (3200 MHz)
2TB SSD

The framerate mostly 60fps at 4k except in some areas it drops to 48-53 fps even the frame-pacing is not that bad but they have to fix it asap.

Graciaus

5900x
32 GB DDR4 3600
980 pro ssd

4k max settings played 2.5 hours. Seems to be locked 60 indoor will stutter randomly outdoor for a second dropping to 45-50. Annoying but not a deal breaker.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
i5 4690k

Some stutters here and there seem to be due to asset loading? Not sure. Other than that it is smooth as hell. I went with the default game recommended settings of High. Playing at 1080p.

Buggy Loop

So strange thing here is that some peoples reported that the game sometimes booted into ultrawide, and then a few seconds later the black bars appeared!!

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

There’s even vignetting set for ultrawide, so it looks like it was planned to support it.

For offline play there’s already a fix in flawless widescreen app

Also what is fucked up is that From promoted the game in 21:9 aspect ratio many times

It also seems like your computer is rendering at ultrawide, and the black bars are just on top of it…

Fucking hell japan, you make amazing games, but fucking step it up in tech.

Last edited:

demigod

So strange thing here is that some peoples reported that the game sometimes booted into ultrawide, and then a few seconds later the black bars appeared!!

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

There’s even vignetting set for ultrawide, so it looks like it was planned to support it.

For offline play there’s already a fix in flawless widescreen app

Also what is fucked up is that From promoted the game in 21:9 aspect ratio many times

It also seems like your computer is rendering at ultrawide, and the black bars are just on top of it…

Fucking hell japan, you make amazing games, but fucking step it up in tech.

Oh damn I've been waiting for this ultrawide, TY Sir.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If you have multiple controllers/wheels/flight sticks or whatever, the game may not default to the right one and make it impossible to play. There are multiple page threads about it on the game's Steam forums (with like 90% of the posts still waiting for the automated moderation to evaluate them for some reason) and various websites have written articles with potential solutions on it (often omitting the simple act of removing other controllers so they don't really know shit about the issue or what to do for it) but so far I don't see any solution that makes it so you can keep your controllers connected (or not disabled from the device manager). It sucks if you have your stuff plugged in from less easily accessible sides and/or have apps like RetroArch mess up their configuration if the device id changes by removing/readding them. I'm using a DS4 with DS4Windows myself and as long as I have my flight stick and Fighting Commander also connected I just can't get it to function in game regardless of DS4Windows settings, Steam input settings (which are wonky and for example don't give me the option to try and hide the rest controllers), or whatever else.
In my case it thinks I have a "PS3 controller" connected, maps and defaults that and never accepts input from the DS4 (as Xbox) even though in the Steam input settings the controllers show/work. I think some of the previous DS games did similar and it happens in some other games like Styx (with some flight sticks causing constant input conflicts, if you only have normal controllers it probably works still since it does accept input from all together rather than default to one) but it's rare so they must be doing something non standard with the way they've implemented it here.

Other than that, on an aging i7 3770 & 1080, it runs 40-60 fps maxed @1440p so I'll probably lock to 30 (unless I can get it to constant 60 with minor changes but probably not, iirc I could only get DS3 to like ~50 fps with lowest settings so it must be my CPU, so I'd rather max and lock with RTSS).

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Running it on max settings @4k.

RTX 3080
Ryzen 5800x
32gb RAM
Seagate Barracuda 2TB NVME

I'm mainly getting around 60fps. When there's a group of enemies, I get a drop to 54 fps or so. Maybe a few hitches (less than 3 or so) but I've been playing for an hour.

thuGG_pl

If you have multiple controllers/wheels/flight sticks or whatever, the game may not default to the right one and make it impossible to play. There are multiple page threads about it on the game's Steam forums (with like 90% of the posts still waiting for the automated moderation to evaluate them for some reason) and various websites have written articles with potential solutions on it (often omitting the simple act of removing other controllers so they don't really know shit about the issue or what to do for it) but so far I don't see any solution that makes it so you can keep your controllers connected (or not disabled from the device manager). It sucks if you have your stuff plugged in from less easily accessible sides and/or have apps like RetroArch mess up their configuration if the device id changes by removing/readding them. I'm using a DS4 with DS4Windows myself and as long as I have my flight stick and Fighting Commander also connected I just can't get it to function in game regardless of DS4Windows settings, Steam input settings (which are wonky and for example don't give me the option to try and hide the rest controllers), or whatever else.
In my case it thinks I have a "PS3 controller" connected, maps and defaults that and never accepts input from the DS4 (as Xbox) even though in the Steam input settings the controllers show/work. I think some of the previous DS games did similar and it happens in some other games like Styx (with some flight sticks causing constant input conflicts, if you only have normal controllers it probably works still since it does accept input from all together rather than default to one) but it's rare so they must be doing something non standard with the way they've implemented it here.

Yeah I have my full simracing setup connected (wheel base, wheel rim, pedals, h-shifter). So yeahh, ER can go fk itself until such a basic feature is fixed.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I dont think any stuttering / freezing issues are due to performace issues. I dont get it alot but I do see it in certain areas and sometimes entering mutiplayer pool areas. My fans and temps never go up with a 2080 and 3700X.

also this apeared on the steam pager.

Thank you very much for playing "ELDEN RING" and for your feedback. We are currently experiencing some issues that are preventing the game from playing properly under some conditions. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and ask for your patience.

Main items to be revised

• Regarding the problem of the mouse being too sensitive in the PC version
    • We will be sending out a patch for this issue in the near future.
  • Regarding the problem of Easy Anti-Cheat failing to launch when the Steam account name is set to 2-byte characters.
    • We are aware of the cause of this issue and will be providing a patch in the near future.
  • Regarding the phenomenon of frame rate and other performance-related issues during gameplay
    • We will be constantly working to improve the game so that it can be played comfortably on various PC environments and platforms.
    • For the PC version, updating your graphics card drivers to the latest version may significantly improve performance.

We are also working on a few other bug fixes and performance improvements as needed. Please don’t hesitate to contact our support team if you encounter other issues.

Thank you for your continued support of ELDEN RING.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It seems to run at 45-60 on a wide range of hardware.

My system is a few years old, not horrible, but a RTX 2070 and an OC i5-8600k. I run at 1440p, and I seem to be getting roughly the same performance as people with an i9 and a 3090. So that says they are doing something wrong, probably not threading everything they can and letting it bottleneck on single core performance.

Top Bottom