• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring PC performance thread

Holammer

I get the impression that a VRR monitor is essential for this game. It makes it tolerable even on my old computer. My main beef with the game right now is the HDR, it looks lovely in-game (otherworldly even), but screenshots look like absolute dogshit.

Just look at it! It is hideous! My triumph of killing a mounted warrior that wtfpwned me twice, ruined.

CE15786D829149154A1AA528C1A10C603354467B

vpance

Checking out the resource monitors, the big slow downs happen whenever the game loads up around 500mb of assets into VRAM, usually at certain spots in the game. From footage of people's gameplay I've seen some people have the exact amount of slow down in those spots but others only have a very brief one. It can also happen to a lesser degree in fights especially with bigger enemies. Then there’s the 250ms hitches when the game flushes the 500mb of assets from VRAM.

It seems like it's doing a really inefficient job at loading assets. It doesn't come from the game drive though as there's no activity, so I guess it's copying stuff from system memory into VRAM. I wonder how this is faster for some people though.

Example of one of those loading spots

Last edited:

JCK75

I'm getting fantastic performance.. however....
It only shows controller prompts so I have to open up the menu to look at the keybindings to figure out how to play... what i find are the most convoluted controls I've ever laid witness too... and THEN..
I can't get back to the game from the menus, nothing i hit works.. it wants me to hit B on the controller which I don't have hooked up to get back..

what the hell is wrong with this company?

Lokaum D+

RTX 2060
Ryzen 5 3600
16gb Ram

Doing some tests here at 4k with motion blur and AA off, everything on MAX, 30fps on Lingrave open area, ll do some more test later at lower resolutions.

Reizo Ryuu

As mentioned in the other thread I don't have stuttering, but I do get weird slowdowns at what seem to be "loading" points, aside from that it's smooth for me.
I guess my cpu is just brute forcing through the issues.
i9 109k
32gb ram
m2 ssd
radeon vega

Juza

A message about some performance issues in ELDEN RING

Thank you very much for playing "ELDEN RING" and for your feedback. We are currently experiencing some issues that are preventing the game from playing properly under some conditions. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and ask for your patience.
Main items to be revised
  • Regarding the problem of the mouse being too sensitive in the PC version
    • We will be sending out a patch for this issue in the near future.
  • Regarding the problem of Easy Anti-Cheat failing to launch when the Steam account name is set to 2-byte characters.
    • We are aware of the cause of this issue and will be providing a patch in the near future.
  • Regarding the phenomenon of frame rate and other performance-related issues during gameplay
    • We will be constantly working to improve the game so that it can be played comfortably on various PC environments and platforms.
    • For the PC version, updating your graphics card drivers to the latest version may significantly improve performance.
We are also working on a few other bug fixes and performance improvements as needed. Please don’t hesitate to contact our support team if you encounter other issues.

Thank you for your continued support of ELDEN RING.

"Let's launch the game first and promise to fix it later"

vpance

As mentioned in the other thread I don't have stuttering, but I do get weird slowdowns at what seem to be "loading" points, aside from that it's smooth for me.
I guess my cpu is just brute forcing through the issues.
i9 109k
32gb ram
m2 ssd
radeon vega

For those loading points I actually get a dip in both CPU and GPU utilization. It's like whatever process the game is using to load stuff into VRAM just locks up everything else.

skybaby

It seems like it's doing a really inefficient job at loading assets. It doesn't come from the game drive though as there's no activity, so I guess it's copying stuff from system memory into VRAM. I wonder how this is faster for some people though.
pcie gen4 cards and motherboards maybe?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
how are the load times? As fast as the 4-7 second Ps5 loads?
For the menu-to-game test that PS5 had 6.3secs loading time, my 2100MB/s drive loaded in 8.5secs.
It's something more than just that since it happens even on PCI4.0 boards with high end GPUs. Whatever it is it also happens more with DX12 games.
It's probably their DX12 multithreading. My guess is that the game was built for PS4. It loads and runs like crap on XSX and XSS, and even PC to a lesser degree. How can the game not hit a solid 60fps at lower res and settings when it has only 50-60% GPU and CPU usage?

Kuranghi

I get the impression that a VRR monitor is essential for this game. It makes it tolerable even on my old computer. My main beef with the game right now is the HDR, it looks lovely in-game (otherworldly even), but screenshots look like absolute dogshit.

Just look at it! It is hideous! My triumph of killing a mounted warrior that wtfpwned me twice, ruined.

CE15786D829149154A1AA528C1A10C603354467B

If you use the MS Game Bar to take screenshots in-game it will preserve the HDR and allow you to view it in the Win 10 photo viewer in HDR, maybe from there you could save a tonemapped SDR version? Or at least use a programe to tonemapped them to SDR for posting online.

Mister Wolf

uuuh, are you sure about that?

Yes I'm positive. This topic has come up plenty of time. Your display has an effective gysnc, freesync, vrr range. If it exceeds that range you will get tearing. Two ways to stop it from exceeding is either by enabling vsync or capping your framerate 1 or 2 frames below the displays effective VRR range. Either work. Nvidia always intended for Gsync to work in conjunction with vsync being enabled.

Last edited:

Red-Town

Ryzen 3900X
RTX 3090
32 GB DDR4 RAM (3600 MHz)
2TB SSD

Hopefully I will get some free time to play this weekend :messenger_loudly_crying:

vpance

For NV cards it seems like setting shader cache size to unlimited is resolving some of the stuttering. With AMD there's no option for that, and I'm noticing the cache files are stuck at tiny sizes like 64kb which might explain the asset loading issues.

Googling around it looks like moving the game to the C: drive where the cache is could help. Was reading how it worked for Destiny. Gonna try that.

deeptech

running 1660, 3600 and 16gb, win 10, first two hours only thing i got is slight performance drops below 60 in some places, on medium-high settings,
but i've seen people with terrible stutters which i don't have..
optimizing for pc must be hell for some devs, so many different configs, and sometimes on same setup some people have problems and some don't

Last edited:

nikos

Here's some ultrawide/unlocked FPS gameplay using Flawless Widescreen. Works really well so far, and actually makes the game playable for me. It felt horrible pillarboxed, especially at 60 FPS.

First open area, no spoilers. Running on a 9900k/3080 Ti at 3840x1600 with performance metrics at the top left. Not sure how performance will change in other areas.

Last edited:
1070Ti
i5 6600k (4 threads)

Older system here. Found decent initial settings. Getting mostly 60 in open areas and rock solid 60 indoors. Textures max, lighting and shading high, the rest the stuff is medium or low. Turning AA off gave me a huge boost with minimal IQ difference.
Definitely time for a cpu upgrade

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I edited my first post with my findings.

Intel i9-9900k
NVIDIA RTX 3090
64 GB DDR4 RAM (3200 MHz)
1TB SSD

I haven't actually played the game yet. Tomorrow I'll see how it runs.

EDIT: I get solid 60 fps using Borderless Fullscreen at 3840x2160 with Maximum settings (other than Motion Blur which I turned off). The issue is that there is stuttering and screen tearing that is not due to any FPS loss. This is with the latest NVIDIA Game Ready driver that was released a week or two ago and should be "Elden Ring optimized". So there definitely is a performance issue, but the game isn't non-playable. But it's definitely distracting, and I want this fixed as soon as possible.

Oh boy, the experience between my desktop and my laptop is like night and day. Awesome on the former, incredibly disappointing on the latter :(

Juza

It seems that EAC has an impact on the performance as well!

I have no issue playing the game on offline mode since I do this with all souls games in the first playthrough.
So I disabled EAC and noticed an improvement for now. less stuttering, less drops.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Well i'm really glad i'm having a superb experience on PC. Honestly, don't know why there's so much differences in performances between peoples. Not perfect by any means, but i only get a few bad frame times a few minutes after loading the game and afterwards it's pretty much perfect.

I feel like getting the spikes out might be an overreaction here? I mean, they'll assess the problem and patch it, it's not even 24h after release, sheesh. RE8 was way way worse than this.

winjer

Gold Member

Here's some ultrawide/unlocked FPS gameplay using Flawless Widescreen. Works really well so far, and actually makes the game playable for me. It felt horrible pillarboxed, especially at 60 FPS.

First open area, no spoilers. Running on a 9900k/3080 Ti at 3840x1600 with performance metrics at the top left. Not sure how performance will change in other areas.

Once again, modders doing the work that should have been done by From Software.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I tried the frame rate unlocker and it does work, although it's probably best to switch the 'Launch' mode in the game to offline, then disable internet or block the .exe and launch.

I can switch to the absolute lowest settings(800x600, Low) and I still can't get 60+ and experience. Instead, I'm often under 60fps while GPU and CPU usage are at like 50-60%. This game has really bad optimization. If I force a pure CPU-bound situation in other games like Days Gone or Cyberpunk in the same manner I get 110-120fps. There's nothing particularly demanding about Elden Ring, it's just down to optimization.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Once again, modders doing the work that should have been done by From Software.

The worse thing is that actually, From software supports ultrawide, because it's actually rendering the whole thing in ultrawide ratio, and inserting black bars on top of it. Fucking bonkers solution. So actually modders have to barely touch the game, remove the black bars, remove the vignetting. Ultrawide is IN the game.

Confusion Reaction GIF

Definitely time for a cpu upgrade
Stop by and I'll give ya $50 to put it together for me! lol I've reached the age where pure laziness and lack of free time is what prevents me from upgrading. Finally have the money to get pretty much whatever parts I want and just don't feel like burning a Saturday morning throwing it together.

Amd ryzen 5 3600 (4.2ghz)
16gb ddr4 (3.6ghz)
Nvidia evga 3060ti ftw3 - rebar enabled
Two 512gb Ssd m2. Nvme Gen 3
4tb hdd.

Playing maximum settings at 1080p and its silky smooth. Also gpu staying cool unlike other games probably cause it's locked at 60fps. Some other games will max out fps and Temps hit 70c+.

Also been playing it over hardware steamlink on a TV. With no performance loss or hitching.

Great game. So impressive. Not enough time to play. Took my entire day off so far and didn't realize how late it got.

drotahorror

No matter what settings I use I get around 50fps just standing at the First Steps bonfire.

u3TEnJU.jpg

And when fighting that horse boss I get some crazy drops down into the 40's when he does certain moves, like maybe knocking trees down and other moves.

Most bosses are pretty smooth. There are drops into the 40's in certain areas, usually areas with rain/fog and low visibility.

I'm on 6700k / 3060 TI / 1080p / SSD. Mixture of all settings.

Last edited:
If you have multiple controllers/wheels/flight sticks or whatever, the game may not default to the right one and make it impossible to play. There are multiple page threads about it on the game's Steam forums (with like 90% of the posts still waiting for the automated moderation to evaluate them for some reason) and various websites have written articles with potential solutions on it (often omitting the simple act of removing other controllers so they don't really know shit about the issue or what to do for it) but so far I don't see any solution that makes it so you can keep your controllers connected (or not disabled from the device manager). It sucks if you have your stuff plugged in from less easily accessible sides and/or have apps like RetroArch mess up their configuration if the device id changes by removing/readding them. I'm using a DS4 with DS4Windows myself and as long as I have my flight stick and Fighting Commander also connected I just can't get it to function in game regardless of DS4Windows settings, Steam input settings (which are wonky and for example don't give me the option to try and hide the rest controllers), or whatever else.
In my case it thinks I have a "PS3 controller" connected, maps and defaults that and never accepts input from the DS4 (as Xbox) even though in the Steam input settings the controllers show/work. I think some of the previous DS games did similar and it happens in some other games like Styx (with some flight sticks causing constant input conflicts, if you only have normal controllers it probably works still since it does accept input from all together rather than default to one) but it's rare so they must be doing something non standard with the way they've implemented it here.

Other than that, on an aging i7 3770 & 1080, it runs 40-60 fps maxed @1440p so I'll probably lock to 30 (unless I can get it to constant 60 with minor changes but probably not, iirc I could only get DS3 to like ~50 fps with lowest settings so it must be my CPU, so I'd rather max and lock with RTSS).
Never used my ds4 on pc. I used to use a ds3 but I hated that weird Japanese driver you had to download and njoy app. That was years ago though. Does the ds4 have an option to use x input?

I use an 8bitdo sn30 plus. Have one for the switch/ps classic and one for pc. You can use xinput and it works like an x box controller, only issue is the buttons are switch labeled on the physical co troller.

I think playstation controllers uses d input, if I'm not mistaken.

Checking out the resource monitors, the big slow downs happen whenever the game loads up around 500mb of assets into VRAM, usually at certain spots in the game. From footage of people's gameplay I've seen some people have the exact amount of slow down in those spots but others only have a very brief one. It can also happen to a lesser degree in fights especially with bigger enemies. Then there’s the 250ms hitches when the game flushes the 500mb of assets from VRAM.

Example of one of those loading spots

Faster memory speed? I know ryzen cpus use faster dram, but this may have no effect.
Also gen4 amd mobos with newer gpus have rebar support which uses vram in a different way.

Resizable bar:

Resizable BAR is an optional PCI Express interface technology. As you move through a world in a game, GPU memory (VRAM) constantly transfers textures, shaders and geometry via many small CPU to GPU transfers.

With the ever-growing size of modern game assets, this results in a lot of transfers. Using Resizable BAR, assets can instead be requested as-needed and sent in full, so the CPU can efficiently access the entire frame buffer. And if multiple requests are made, transfers can occur concurrently, rather than queuing.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm playing offline and in borderless window, and the game's running like a dream for me. Only had some dips during the Tree Sentinel fight, but that's it. Just beat Margit and the fight went smooth as buttee.

nani17

are in a big trouble
So I installed the unlocked FPS mod and here's what it looks like. So far stuttering is minimal compared to before.

Last edited:

Dorago

I tried the Nvidia control panel settings and they didn't do much. I did the Win10 graphics settings performance mode and THAT did it. This is a bit befuddling considering I've never heard of this feature before. I wonder if this has as much to do with DX12 "optimization" and system integration that anything else? Also, how is Win11 comparing to Win10?

nemiroff

Gold Member
I can't get HDR to work on my monitor with this game. First time I've experienced a HDR failure in Windows 11, all other games are smooth sailing. It says it's "HDR on" but the image is washed put and the nits slider does nothing whatsoever. I assume From Software fucked it up. Anyone else?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Never used my ds4 on pc. I used to use a ds3 but I hated that weird Japanese driver you had to download and njoy app. That was years ago though. Does the ds4 have an option to use x input?

I use an 8bitdo sn30 plus. Have one for the switch/ps classic and one for pc. You can use xinput and it works like an x box controller, only issue is the buttons are switch labeled on the physical co troller.

I think playstation controllers uses d input, if I'm not mistaken.
No you use DS4Windows and it makes it xinput. But also quite a few games don't need it and support DS4 natively as dinput detecting it's the DS4 specifically and mapping things as on PS4. I stick with DS4Windows having it run on start up just so it works on all games, old and new, that mostly use xinput. It's not a hassle like other custom driver stuff in the past, barely any need to configure stuff by default, can just install and play with it if you want, but also various nice options on top if you need them like adding functions to the touch pad and using the tilt sensors and having different profiles and switching between them etc. It's been defunct before but other people pick up the project and update it, it might happen I need to switch branch soon again cos it doesn't seem to have been updated in ages (but maybe it doesn't have anything to add anyway so long as it works).

Edit: forgot, Steam input probably also can auto-detect and convert it to xinput accodingly per game but then that's only for Steam games, since I have other non Steam games that only detect the xbox controller I've relied on DS4Windows instead. And again some rare games like this one have trouble with multiple controllers connected so just use whatever works for you, if you wanna try to switch to the DS4 or similar then you might wanna unplug whatever it is you currently use for this and other games to work properly. And maybe you don't needs DS4Windows if you only use Steam.

Try and see.

Last edited:

vpance

Faster memory speed? I know ryzen cpus use faster dram, but this may have no effect.
Also gen4 amd mobos with newer gpus have rebar support which uses vram in a different way.

Resizable bar:

Resizable BAR is an optional PCI Express interface technology. As you move through a world in a game, GPU memory (VRAM) constantly transfers textures, shaders and geometry via many small CPU to GPU transfers.

With the ever-growing size of modern game assets, this results in a lot of transfers. Using Resizable BAR, assets can instead be requested as-needed and sent in full, so the CPU can efficiently access the entire frame buffer. And if multiple requests are made, transfers can occur concurrently, rather than queuing.

Could be memory speed, yeah. Turning on and off resizable BAR had no effect for me.

From what I understand DX12 games will handle shader caching on their own, as opposed to DX11 where it was more predictable what was happening. Maybe by default devs cache to system RAM or something, which depending on your system setup ends up being worse than DX11 caches to disk. Consoles don't care because they have unified memory. Don't really get it but that's my theory. Maybe BAR support is just fundamentally broken or no one's using it properly.

Whatever the case is 1.01 was apparently better, so they should just roll back their changes.

Ozzie666

I still don't think most Japanese developers appreciate or understand how important the PC market really is. Capcom has it's ups and downs, but might be one of the better Japanese PC companies. I know they outsource a lot of these versions. But their name is on the box, they have final say. Have some pride, what a terrible black mark on an otherwise generational game.

JeloSWE

I can't get HDR to work on my monitor with this game. First time I've experienced a HDR failure in Windows 11, all other games are smooth sailing. It says it's "HDR on" but the image is washed put and the nits slider does nothing whatsoever. I assume From Software fucked it up. Anyone else?
I don't have the game yet. Waiting for them to fix the shitty frame stutters. But are you enabling HDR in Windows before launching the game or do you just launch the game and expect it to trigger HDR for you?

Needlecrash

I can't get mine to work. When it runs, I check the Status section of the Flawless Widescreen tab and I get red exclamations saying C_hackTool - Failed to process, error code=5. Fucking hell. :(

Top Bottom