• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring PC performance thread

iHaunter

It's ATROCIOUS! Like soooo fucking bad. The game is almost unplayable in world boss scenarios. I was playing with my cousin and freezes constantly. Even when just moving around. 3/10. This should NOT have been released in this state. Worse than Cyberpunk. Game is an unplayable piece of crap.

Specs:
Win 11 Pro
i9 9900K *5.5ghz*
32GB DDR4 3200mh
2TB NVMe
RTX 3080Ti

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Does this game have Denuvo?

I wonder if someone plays a cracked version will have the same issue ( reminds me of one of the resident evil games that had this issue ).

if someone who bought the game can go ahead and download the cracked version to try it and see if it exhibit the same issue ( I assume its legal if you already bought the game yeah?)

Or maybe try to play in offline mode or not connected to the internet.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I was going back and forth between getting this on PS5 or PC and bought it on PC.

Honestly big mistake...

Playing at 1440p on high settings and its solid 60fps UNTIL I go into combat.

Almost every single time I start to fight the game either just freezes for several seconds or drops to sub 20fps.

Going to try to refund and get on PS5. If you're on the fence go console.

i9-9900

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’m getting locked 60fps, indoors and outdoors, early area around Limgrave. Only experienced one short segment where the fps dropped for like 2 seconds.

3800x
3070ti
16GB
Preset Max settings, 1080p screen.

The game doesn’t look good though, looks about a generation behind games like Horizon Forbidden West and Demon’s Souls. But the same can be said about BOTW which is on my best game of all time list so I’m not sure it matters..

dmman

Neo Member
Can confirm the game freezes in combat makes it unplayable, going to hold off on player further until a patch comes in. (9700k, 3080, 32gb)

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I've loved everything about this so far, sticking to the first area up to the level up enabling and only exploring a little bit, getting the hang of the controls, I wanted to level up a few times before moving on to be able to use the sword and get some stuff crafted/looted/bought.

Because I started naked/level 1/with just a club and without any extra item.

But I'm not entirely sure about the mounted combat now I tried it. As i said I'm just at the start so spoilers are very mild if at all but just in case.

I just defeated one giant at the start after 3 tries, it's not the one you have to progress through the main path with some soldiers with crossbows or whatever around it, I've not gone past that point yet, it's the one near the first bonfire thing instead toward the path to the beach. It just feels, I dunno, the opposite of Souls. Imprecise and loose, especially with the crazy fast lock on camera swinging about as you go past the enemy running and then turn back, is it maybe better to not lock on for mounted combat, or what do you guys do? It feels like the camera should maybe slowly pan from further away to give a better view of you and the locked on enemy rather than remain fixed behind you and wildly swing you about as the side the enemy is at quickly changes in this scenario? I dunno but it doesn't feel right.

Speaking of the beach I also killed the knight dude near the fire there at the dead end of it. His moveset seemed like he'd give me quite some trouble if I was on foot but he was piss easy on horseback so is that normal? I get most of these early bits will barely matter but still.

Do the actual mounted enemies make it fun (I didn't try the first golden guy, I'm sure he's just too OP at the moment for me) or is it just gonna be a diversion from the "real" gameplay/combat on foot?

Last edited:

Alexios

anyway to lock it at 30fps?
RTSS with MSI Afterburner works well as ever for that stuff. But it doesn't feel very good maxed at 30fps. I turned settings to high and locked to 40. Somewhat alright. Hitches still occur, some times it feels like weird lag in that you'll see your dude in fast forward for a split second after a hiccup.

I'm assuming gsync-compatible vrr I've enabled works for it as I've not seen any tearing. And other than that it's capped to 60fps by itself I think people said? So it's not like if you have a beast system it will overwork it to 200fps (assuming anyone gets that perf) for no reason.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

RTSS with MSI Afterburner works well as ever for that stuff. But it doesn't feel very good. I turned settings to high and locked to 40. Somewhat alright. Hitches still occur.
game has no fps lock option , not even v-sync...........disappointed with the PC version

Last edited:
I'm getting fantastic performance.. however....
It only shows controller prompts so I have to open up the menu to look at the keybindings to figure out how to play... what i find are the most convoluted controls I've ever laid witness too... and THEN..
I can't get back to the game from the menus, nothing i hit works.. it wants me to hit B on the controller which I don't have hooked up to get back..

what the hell is wrong with this company?
Uhhhh are you sing a Playstation controller on PC by chance?

If so, you probably need a software to convert into an Xbox interface in game.

A lot of games don't have full PS controller support apparently.

Wouldn’t that depend on the version? I believe steam tries to force its own controller wrapper, not sure you can even disable it. It would be nice to use a game’s native controller support when it has it. That said the steam wrapper should have a template for Playstation controllers, if you want to use the steam version.

demigod

I can't get mine to work. When it runs, I check the Status section of the Flawless Widescreen tab and I get red exclamations saying C_hackTool - Failed to process, error code=5. Fucking hell. :(
It works for me, it took me like 30 mins to get it working tho. Didn’t know i had to download both x64 and x86 vs c++. Had to also copy 2 .dll files into the flawless folder.

Lanrutcon

I refunded.

I'm not sure what the hitching is about. Is it the asset streaming? Hell knows, but I can wait for a few months. Gonna try Horizon instead.

hlm666

God I hope when they start doing hail mary patches to fix this they don't make things worse for me, I get a stutter when going into an area for the first time (it drops to 57 for a split second) and I think ive had shader compilation where it tanked me to 40fps briefly but it's been pretty solid apart from that. I might try record a run later if I can track down where nvidias shader cache is kept to delete it so it's like a fresh run. I'm sure ive seen it on c drive root before but it aint there now.

winjer

Gold Member
Could be memory speed, yeah. Turning on and off resizable BAR had no effect for me.

From what I understand DX12 games will handle shader caching on their own, as opposed to DX11 where it was more predictable what was happening. Maybe by default devs cache to system RAM or something, which depending on your system setup ends up being worse than DX11 caches to disk. Consoles don't care because they have unified memory. Don't really get it but that's my theory. Maybe BAR support is just fundamentally broken or no one's using it properly.

Whatever the case is 1.01 was apparently better, so they should just roll back their changes.

Unified memory doesn't affect shader compilation. These are different issues.
On a console, because it's standardized hardware and software, devs can compile shaders and ship them with the game. So the game just loads them, as any other asset.
On PC, using low level APIs, because of different GPUs and drivers. It's necessary to compile shaders for each system, or there will be graphical issues.
Some game engines have good tools to pre-compile shaders. Like Unreal Engine. But not all devs know how to use it properly. So we get games that run perfectly, without stutter, like Gears 5. And other that are a stutter fest.

The other issue, is asset streaming. PC and consoles have different memory configurations. Each have their advantages and disadvantages.
And require deferent approaches to optimize. In this case, it's the lack of technical capability to optimize for PC, that is cause of the problem. From Software really lacks the technical know how, to optimize their games.
This can be seen on consoles, where there are issues with their games. But is very obvious on PC, where their games are very lacking.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't have the game yet. Waiting for them to fix the shitty frame stutters. But are you enabling HDR in Windows before launching the game or do you just launch the game and expect it to trigger HDR for you?
It's enabled by default in W11, and I can see that Elden Ring recognize that HDR is on, but there's not much happening on the monitor.. I installed Reshade now and tweaked the contrast to fix the washed out look, but I hope it's just a temporary fix.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I can't get mine to work. When it runs, I check the Status section of the Flawless Widescreen tab and I get red exclamations saying C_hackTool - Failed to process, error code=5. Fucking hell. :(
Are you offline when using it? For the unlock FPS mod you have to be offline im assuming its the same for all mods

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
only played around the very start of the open world where the tree sentinel is.

there's slight stuttering when going into a new area and fighting the tree sentinel feels like the frame rate is dropping for a bit but it lasts like a split second and doesn't affect my ability to fight. exploring the open world it feels like a solid 60fps. i expected worse from reading all the reports online. fights shouldn't be dropping frames like that so i hope they improve it but it's not terrible. i'm enjoying the game so far but i am only a couple hours in.

my pc:

9900k, 32gb, rtx 2080 (latest drivers), windows 11. playing on at 1440p (144hz monitor with gsync). all settings in game on high (the game auto set it to that) except motion blur which i turned off.
just downloaded a 9MB update, not sure what that was about.
It's probably for online aspects. Game is in maintenance here, I can't connect to servers.

From the steam page...

Patch version 1.02.1 has been released for Steam today

Here are the changes made available with this patch:
  • Start-up issues related to Easy Anti Cheat (EAC) have been improved.
  • Mouse operation improved.
  • Reduced number of files needed to load when entering a new area.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Game seems to chug in specific areas. The Tree Sentinel right in the beginning and the road up to the first castle ran at like 40 fps for me sporadically. Everywhere else has been locked 60 for the most part.

Needlecrash

Are you offline when using it? For the unlock FPS mod you have to be offline im assuming its the same for all mods
Yea I'm offline. Or at least, I have the setting from the game to be offline. I'll unplug the cable next time. Funny you mentioned the FPS mod. I ran it, the mod window disappeared and I got a message from the game saying Unauthorized use detected.

Tomi

Never play games on release date, wait for some time for stability patches

I w8 for rtx implementation, wont play before this masterpiece

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Setting shader size cache to unlimited in Nvidia CP pretty much removed all the stuttering. You guys need to try this.
haven't tried it yet but looking at the settings. surely it doesn't need to be unlimited? the game is 49GB total so 100GB should be more than enough. i might even try setting it to 10GB. i wish there was an option for 25GB.

edit: nevermind i don't know what i'm talking about. the shader cache is not set on a per game basis but for all games.

edit 2: setting shader cache didn't help. still stuttering.

Last edited:

vpance

According to the new patch notes they reduced the number of files to load when entering a new area. It noticeably improved those slow mo speed up lag moments for me.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The game is definitely bugged in specific areas, because you can repeat the slowdowns (that aren't FPS related), for example running up and down the ramp out of Tutorial Cave. Most of these areas are around the intro area, though slowdown in general (for me) can happen anywhere. The patch just released didn't address any of that.

If that video about the FPS/Ultrawide fix is to be believed, that's a good frametime, but - at least for me - it is the slowdown that mars the experience (I just cap my own frames).

vpance

The game is definitely bugged in specific areas, because you can repeat the slowdowns (that aren't FPS related), for example running up and down the ramp out of Tutorial Cave. Most of these areas are around the intro area, though slowdown in general (for me) can happen anywhere. The patch just released didn't address any of that.

The patch improved those exact areas for me. I used that ramp in the cave to check too.

hollams

Gold Member
Downloaded the patch and went to the area that I always have slowdown and it still occurs. Also in the first area I get lag like before so the patch didn't do much for me. I died and the game crashed when trying to load though which was a first for me.

JCK75

No, I'm not using a controller. I'm using mouse and keyboard.. I tend to play single player games at work where it's fine for me to play games. I just need to not make it completely obvious that that's what I'm doing. So controllers are out of the question.

Moochi

When I have HDR on and I adjust the volume on my logitech headset, the entire screen changes gamma settings to something absurd until the volume HUD popup slider disappears. On a 3090 and I9.

Last edited:
No, I'm not using a controller. I'm using mouse and keyboard.. I tend to play single player games at work where it's fine for me to play games. I just need to not make it completely obvious that that's what I'm doing. So controllers are out of the question.
OH, apologies for the assumption then.

Really odd how buggy the game is on PC. You'd think they had more than enough time to iron some of the kinks.

I feel for the guys with $4k computers. I'd be frustrated too. On my i5 6600k and 1070Ti I'm getting the perf I expected thankfully. Mostly 60fps.

1080p. Max Textures. The rest medium (or low for the options that don't have a medium). Borderless fullscreen. Very smooth experience and it looks great! Turning AA off removes a lot of blur and gives a nice FPS boost too. Also using Nvidia's driver level scaling feature, which looks really nice.

skneogaf

Im seeing some of the slow motion stuff but very rarely, I have noticed my cpu getting warmer than usual.

I7 9700k + 3090 m.2 ssd etc

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I feel for the guys with $4k computers. I'd be frustrated too. On my i5 6600k and 1070Ti I'm getting the perf I expected thankfully. Mostly 60fps.

1080p. Max Textures. The rest medium (or low for the options that don't have a medium). Borderless fullscreen. Very smooth experience and it looks great! Turning AA off removes a lot of blur and gives a nice FPS boost too. Also using Nvidia's driver level scaling feature, which looks really nice.
$4.3k pc here. some very slight stuttering and some fps drops (nothing major). the game is running perfectly fine otherwise for me. 99% of the time it's at 60fps at 1440p with max settings.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
What specs do you have to have paid $4300?
well i'm not american so that was a quick conversion. 9900K = £420, 32GB RAM £280, RTX 2080 £750. 4TB SSD £610. 850W PSU £140. Z390 motherboard £310. monitor 1440p 144hz £490. my speakers/mouse/keyboard bring it up to about £3200 and google tells me that's about $4.3k.

Last edited:

skneogaf

well i'm not american so that was a quick conversion. 9900K = £420, 32GB RAM £280, RTX 2080 £750. 4TB SSD £610. 850W PSU £140. Z390 motherboard £310. monitor 1440p 144hz £490. my speakers/mouse/keyboard bring it up to about £3200 and google tells me that's about $4.3k.

Your motherboard must be amazing to have cost £310.

I suppose if I were to add up my system it would be between £10k and £15k counting everything.

I suppose I've never really added up how much everything originally cost.

£5k screen, £1400 gpu, £4k sound system are the highlights I guess of mine.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm getting fantastic performance.. however....
It only shows controller prompts so I have to open up the menu to look at the keybindings to figure out how to play... what i find are the most convoluted controls I've ever laid witness too... and THEN..
I can't get back to the game from the menus, nothing i hit works.. it wants me to hit B on the controller which I don't have hooked up to get back..

what the hell is wrong with this company?
Settings-> Sound and Display -> Device for On-screen Prompts->Keyboard and Mouse

vpance

Don't usually mess around with Reshade but this one is actually looks pretty good. Better HDR look to it

Alexios

Man the starting area is gigantic. You can spend so many hours exploring and not really progressing your character and stuff. But it's still fun and it all feels hand crafted and there's cool stuff or boss doors or items or npcs or whatever beyond enemies/animals pretty much everywhere. I started playing at the same time as a friend and we went totally different directions and kept confusing each other when talking about say the "first" vendor cos he first went to the one at the coast so were like wtf are you talking about this or that isn't there, catacombs beyond the vnedor, what, etc. Then we co-oped the catacombs boss together just to check out what that stuff is like. Then again solod explored and found a bunch of different exits, took down a caravan and so on and so forth. My friend somehow managed to kill the golden mounted knight himself, I haven't as he one shots me but discovered all kinds of stuff exploring the areas, from the coast to the lake to whatever, both of us still not progressing where the game wants us to go past the site of grace you get the level up capability and horse at, only this little starting bottom right corner of the map. GOAT game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom