• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring PC performance thread

thuGG_pl

Man the starting area is gigantic. You can spend so many hours exploring and not really progressing your character and stuff. But it's still fun and it all feels hand crafted and there's cool stuff or boss doors or items or npcs or whatever beyond enemies/animals pretty much everywhere. I started playing at the same time as a friend and we went totally different directions and kept confusing each other when talking about say the "first" vendor cos he first went to the one at the coast so were like wtf are you talking about this or that isn't there, catacombs beyond the vnedor, what, etc. Then we co-oped the catacombs boss together just to check out what that stuff is like. Then again solod explored and found a bunch of different exits, took down a caravan and so on and so forth. My friend somehow managed to kill the golden mounted knight himself, I haven't as he one shots me but discovered all kinds of stuff exploring the areas, from the coast to the lake to whatever, both of us still not progressing where the game wants us to go past the site of grace you get the level up capability and horse at, only this little starting bottom right corner of the map. GOAT game.
What this has to do with PC Performance of the game?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nothing, thanks for making a wrong thread post get at the top of the new page mate.

Needlecrash

Just played for a little bit.
Got MULTIPLE studderings with a non-responsive character for 2 seconds. Fucking ridiculous. With a RTX 3080 and A Ryzen 5800x, there is no excuse for this shit. How can this shit get through QA?

ClosBSAS

I am away so I can't play on my 3080ti but on my fucking 1650ti laptop y put the fans to the max and now it's 60fps smooth as fuck...so weirddd

vpance

Patch noticeably improved the stuttering and slow mo zone loading. Only a brief 7 FPS dip instead of 20 in that tutorial staircase.

thuGG_pl

Found these on Steam forums (which was taken from Twitter):
[PC] Fixed an issue where the graphics card was not being used, resulting in slow performance.
[PC] Fixed a bug that caused the game to quit under certain conditions during a battle with the Fire Giant.
[PC] Fixed other bugs.

Many reporting crashes, some reporting less stutter.

GymWolf

You can watch DF video about PC version of ER. Basically biggest gains gives you lowering the resolution.
I was talking more about tips like disabling steam overlay or settng the shader thing on the nvidia control panel to unlimited like i read somewhere, and stuff like that, people probably tried everything to get less stutter\better performance by now.

I'm not going lower than 1440p with a game that look like this and a 2070super, from can go fuck itself it they think otherwise.

Last edited:
I was talking more about tips like disabling steam overlay or settng the shader thing on the nvidia control panel to unlimited like i read somewhere, and stuff like that, people probably tried everything to get less stutter\better performance by now.

I'm not going lower than 1440p with a game that look like this and a 2070super, from can go fuck itself it they think otherwise.

Nothing you can do in the loading areas. You will always stutter/freeze there and they are always in the same spot so if u see that shit happening there, just move away and fight somewhere else. Other than that, besides maybe lower frames when it rains, you should be running the game smoothly.

Yes. I've tried all of the tricks people suggested as well. I've also noticed changing my resolution doesn't change my framerate much like my GPU is being underutilized.
I'm assuming you have an NVME? download and run crystal diskmark and test your NVME performance. there is a bug in windows 11 that severely messes with NVME write speeds. me and a buddy were having issues and saw our NVME speed was super slow. downgrade to windows 10 with fresh install and speeds are amazing again. I'm getting about 3000 MB/s and he's about 6000 MB/s. Run diskmark64

Mister Wolf

I'm assuming you have an NVME? download and run crystal diskmark and test your NVME performance. there is a bug in windows 11 that severely messes with NVME write speeds. me and a buddy were having issues and saw our NVME speed was super slow. downgrade to windows 10 with fresh install and speeds are amazing again. I'm getting about 3000 MB/s and he's about 6000 MB/s. Run diskmark64

I'm using a SATA SSD.

GymWolf

Yeah after 3 hours and 2 boss can confirm that the game runs almost perfectly, no hiccups during boss fights.

So i've been playing the game since last Thursday and it always has been a pristine experience so far, from day 1, other than the forest area right at the beginning of the game where it could dips around 50 fps or so. But other than that, it's been running at a rock solid 60 fps or very close to it.

12900KF
3070 Ti
4000mhz DDR4 CL16 1T Gear 1
Windows 11 Pro

Then on my laptop, I had some massive stuttering issues as well as seconds long freezes. I had tried the fixes posted on Reddit but it didn't seem to change anything. Then the same day during the evening (Friday), I went to one of my friend's place for an Elden Ring night. I was telling him "Just you wait, you'll be amazed at how bad it runs". I powered on the laptop, plugged it on his 32 inches monitor, set the game at 1440p, max settings and......it was perfectly fine? Like, I didn't have any stutter, freezing, or anything like that. It was honestly nearly as flawless as how it was on my desktop. I feel like all the reddit fixes didn't kick in until I powered off / back on the laptop, but it might be something else.

i7 9750h 6 cores 12 threads
2080 max-q 90w
2666mhz DDR4
Windows 11 Pro

All in all, I've been very satisfied with this port so far. I'm glad I didn't really suffer from any issue when I really played the game, but I definitely saw what people were talking about when I first launched the game on my laptop. I've been watching the let's play from FightingCowboy recently and you can definitely see all the annoying stuttering happening randomly as soon as he installed a new Nvidia driver for its 3080 while entering the Stormveil Castle area. He then reverted back the drivers and while he thought it was fixed, it didn't really help at all in the end as you can clearly see the game behaving the same. Dude was a bit pissed off and I can understand people being pissed off if they experience similar issues lol

thuGG_pl

Question about VRR (gsync I guess).
I'm playing on my TV LG C1 using GeForce RTX 2080, when I play in 4k (fullscreen mode) then TV reports VRR ON. When I change res to 1440p also fullscreen mode, then VRR is OFF.
Does anyone knows why? Does VRR works only in native resolution? Is it problem with Elder Ring, TV, nVidia?

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'm playing on my TV LG C1 using GeForce RTX 2080, when I play in 4k (fullscreen mode) then TV reports VRR ON. When I change res to 1440p also fullscreen mode, then VRR is OFF.
Does anyone knows why? Does VRR works only in native resolution? Is it problem with Elder Ring, TV, nVidia?

No it should work absolutely fine.

Ev1L AuRoN

VRR won't save this game on PC, even at 1080p my RTX 2060 still drops below 60 and stutters on traversal.

Are you in Full-screen or Borderless, maybe your drive is configured to work in Full-screen only.

thuGG_pl

VRR won't save this game on PC, even at 1080p my RTX 2060 still drops below 60 and stutters on traversal.

Are you in Full-screen or Borderless, maybe your drive is configured to work in Full-screen only.
I'm full screen, as I wrote. My driver is also configured to full screen.

Buggy Loop

That would really be something, where did you read that?

jurassic park mind blown GIF by Spotify

Microsoft really needs to destroy Xbox app and start from scratch. Unbelievable

skneogaf

The performance has improved quite a lot since launch from the two little patches.

I'm actually confident it will be pretty much perfect for me.

I've had zero crash to desktop and very minimal stutters.

Hoddi

Fullscreen mode seems plain broken when using Gsync regardless of the resolution. It works fine in borderless mode but fullscreen judders very obviously when dropping below 60fps even though it looks like it's using VRR.

That aside, performance seems much better for me since the latest patch. It doesn't push the framerate up but I haven't seen those random drops happen like they used to. I've only tried it for 20-30 minutes though.

Last edited:

Banned
Full screen mode seems plain broken when using Gsync regardless of the resolution. It works fine in borderless mode but fullscreen judders very obviously when dropping below 60fps even though it looks like it's using VRR.

there shouldn't be any difference in a DX12 game for "borderless" or "fullscreen" DX12 fullscreen is not actual fullscreen. it is still a borderless window but it simply has a few more privileges like restricting your mouse to stay within the window

Hoddi

there shouldn't be any difference in a DX12 game for "borderless" or "fullscreen" DX12 fullscreen is not actual fullscreen. it is still a borderless window but it simply has a few more privileges like restricting your mouse to stay within the window
There's more to it than that. HDR only works in fullscreen mode, for example.

Armorous

The only real issues I found was on the first tree sentinel and a few of the early catacombs. The rest of the world the game seems to perform really well. I was running a Ryzen 5 2600 and upgraded to a Ryzen 5 5600x. After upgrade I went back and fought the tree sentinel and had 0 performance issues with the fight. So they either made some performance enhancements to the game or the processor upgrade helped, maybe both.

Brofist

The only real issues I found was on the first tree sentinel and a few of the early catacombs. The rest of the world the game seems to perform really well. I was running a Ryzen 5 2600 and upgraded to a Ryzen 5 5600x. After upgrade I went back and fought the tree sentinel and had 0 performance issues with the fight. So they either made some performance enhancements to the game or the processor upgrade helped, maybe both.
That boss was my biggest issue too. It’s been fairly smooth since.

thuGG_pl

But there is, HDR doesnt work in borderless, so I have to stick to fullscreen.

mansoor1980

locked the game to 30 fps via NVCP and cranked the settings to max , not a single fps drop or stutter , i will finish the game like this

Majukun

last update made the game significantly worse for me...first couple days had no technical issues except for some slight frame drops...now the game stutters a lot. both with fast and powerful attacks than when loading new areas

The performance has improved quite a lot since launch from the two little patches.

I'm actually confident it will be pretty much perfect for me.

I've had zero crash to desktop and very minimal stutters.
completely opposite for me

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

Patch 1.02.3 for PC available now:

• Fixed a problem in which controllers connected to the PC were not recognized under certain circumstances.

thuGG_pl

Do you have any settings for the hdr on pc? Because when i tried it was super washed out and completely changed the colors.
When you enable HDR then in game you will have 3 options to adjust max brightness, saturation etc. For me on my LG C1 HDR has opposed effect it turns it from washed out into vibrant nice colors.

hlm666

Updated my drivers today so seeing that should have wiped the shader cache I decided I decided to record that performance video, I think the updates may have fixed some of the performance issues though because this did actually go better for me than at release or the new drivers helped (I was too lazy to update). 2 areas I went to I noticed some stutters during my release game time there didn't cause any issues at all, keep in mind I was never having all the issues being thrown around anyway so /shrug.

Top Bottom