• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring PC performance thread

hollams

Gold Member
I was watching the Skill Up review for the PC Version and he mentioned he played the game pre day one patch and didn't have many performance issues. He also mentioned the Pop-in wasn't occurring that much on PC. I guess the day one patch massively screwed up the game as I have performance issues and a ton of pop-in that occurs all the time and it's more distracting than the performance issues I've encountered.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was watching the Skill Up review for the PC Version and he mentioned he played the game pre day one patch and didn't have many performance issues. He also mentioned the Pop-in wasn't occurring that much on PC. I guess the day one patch massively screwed up the game as I have performance issues and a ton of pop-in that occurs all the time and it's more distracting than the performance issues I've encountered.

The console versions also both look and run worse than the preview did, so... Lol. FromSoft make great games with terrible tech.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
For some reason I got better performance with the Flawless widescreen than I did with SpecialK and not really sure why. I have no stutters with FWS but had all kinds with SpecialK. The steps from the initial dungeon I could see slowdown but it's gone with FWS.

Needlecrash

For some reason I got better performance with the Flawless widescreen than I did with SpecialK and not really sure why. I have no stutters with FWS but had all kinds with SpecialK. The steps from the initial dungeon I could see slowdown but it's gone with FWS.
What's SpecialK? You playing online with FWS?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If you have multiple controllers/wheels/flight sticks or whatever, the game may not default to the right one and make it impossible to play. There are multiple page threads about it on the game's Steam forums (with like 90% of the posts still waiting for the automated moderation to evaluate them for some reason) and various websites have written articles with potential solutions on it (often omitting the simple act of removing other controllers so they don't really know shit about the issue or what to do for it) but so far I don't see any solution that makes it so you can keep your controllers connected (or not disabled from the device manager). It sucks if you have your stuff plugged in from less easily accessible sides and/or have apps like RetroArch mess up their configuration if the device id changes by removing/readding them. I'm using a DS4 with DS4Windows myself and as long as I have my flight stick and Fighting Commander also connected I just can't get it to function in game regardless of DS4Windows settings, Steam input settings (which are wonky and for example don't give me the option to try and hide the rest controllers), or whatever else.
In my case it thinks I have a "PS3 controller" connected, maps and defaults that and never accepts input from the DS4 (as Xbox) even though in the Steam input settings the controllers show/work. I think some of the previous DS games did similar and it happens in some other games like Styx (with some flight sticks causing constant input conflicts, if you only have normal controllers it probably works still since it does accept input from all together rather than default to one) but it's rare so they must be doing something non standard with the way they've implemented it here.

Other than that, on an aging i7 3770 & 1080, it runs 40-60 fps maxed @1440p so I'll probably lock to 30 (unless I can get it to constant 60 with minor changes but probably not, iirc I could only get DS3 to like ~50 fps with lowest settings so it must be my CPU, so I'd rather max and lock with RTSS).
They fixed this (for me), it still causes Steam to mistakenly pop up the PS3 controller thing (it's the only game I've seen do that, ever, Steam itself in the Steam input options doesn't ever show anything of the sort) but my DS4 controller (with DS4Windows as an Xbox pad as usual) works just fine.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
What's SpecialK? You playing online with FWS?
No online with any of these "mods". For FWS you have to manually turn off EAC, while SpecialK turns it off automatically . SpecialK is kind of like a mod that intercepts API calls so it can tweak different things in games to help performance and it can add HDR to games that don't natively support it which is something I don't think FWS can do. I did like the HDR function of SpecialK and found it better than the native version.

mansoor1980

Updated my drivers today so seeing that should have wiped the shader cache I decided I decided to record that performance video, I think the updates may have fixed some of the performance issues though because this did actually go better for me than at release or the new drivers helped (I was too lazy to update). 2 areas I went to I noticed some stutters during my release game time there didn't cause any issues at all, keep in mind I was never having all the issues being thrown around anyway so /shrug.

your CPU temps are high for that percentage of utilization

Togh

i5 4460
DDR3 8 GB 1600MHz
GTX 950 2GB

I was running the game on 720p with everything on low on about 45 fps but with a lot of stuttering, so now i'm using RivaTuner to lock it on 30 fps and it feels much better. Still have some stuttering here and there of course (if even PCs with high-end specs are having, imagine me) but nothing that let me crazy. Here's hope that the game may get a patch that optimize the performance so I can run it on 1080p on low lol

hlm666

your CPU temps are high for that percentage of utilization
They actually arn't, Australian summer plus radiator fans are set to turn off until water temp reaches 38c then ramp up. That little run didn't warm the water enough. I'm curious what cpu you think it might be though.

mansoor1980

They actually arn't, Australian summer plus radiator fans are set to turn off until water temp reaches 38c then ramp up. That little run didn't warm the water enough. I'm curious what cpu you think it might be though.
must be a new one with at least 10 cores , AMD perhaps

Needlecrash

Okay....so I found something that actually WORKED. I was on the Steam forums before I went to bed. I saw that opting in the Steam Beta (Steam, Setting, Beta Participation (join)) pretty much fixed my issue. I enabled the Borderless Full-screen in the game too. And it worked. Had an issue in which my Xbox Series Controller disconnected a twice but I don't think that's related. Give it a try as YMMV with this.

Buggy Loop

By the way, for those who modified files to get ultrawide running with flawless ultrawide tool, don’t forget to redo the procedure with files after each patch.. my dumbass self realized last night I was still on day 1 patch, 2 patch lagging lol. Now performance is really good honestly.

Mister Wolf

PC update v1.2 is now out, take notice in the Technical Improvements section.

Story Progression Fixes

• All known cases with "Deathloops" eliminated.
  • Fixed blocks in multiple quests - Into The Dark, Assassination, Sophie in The Raid Quest, Hubert in The Only Way Out, Veronika, Nightrunners, The Lost Light, Double Time.
  • Solved problems with safe zones (in-game clock stops, can't sleep).

Co-op Fixes

• Stability issues fixed: crashes or black screens in certain situations
  • Numerous story progress blocks fixed
  • Fixed issues with accepting invites
  • Challenges issues fixed: no weapon when inventory full, difficulty balance improved, tools requirements properly handled
  • Fixed co-op parties spawning in distant places
  • Improved/fixed replication of city open world activities: windmills, hanging cages, loot chests, NPC rescue issues
  • Fixed enemies and players falling through the ground in certain situations
  • Several performance drops fixed

Nightrunner Tools Fixes

• Paraglider and Grappling Hook upgrades can be applied correctly for players that obtained them during cooperative sessions.
  • PK Crossbow reward is correctly given to players in cooperative mode. This fix will prevent new cases from appearing.

Important Combat Improvements

• Improved Biter behavior during the day. The enemy latches onto the players more frequently which diversifies enemy encounters.
  • Performance of blunt weapons improved to reflect the sense of weight.
  • Improved enemy reaction depending on the type of weapon - to better reflect the weight of the weapon.
  • Human opponents can now block players' attacks during light hit reaction time.
  • Light hit reactions for human enemies have been shortened.

New ragdoll's behaviors.

• Opponents enter ragdolls more often.
  • Ragdoll works more naturally.
  • Ragdoll behaves differently depending on the used weapon type.
  • Appropriate forces are applied when falling from a height and when hitting different parts of the body while maintaining the force given from the direction of the blow.
  • When a ragdoll collides with its surroundings - the appropriate sound and FXs are played depending on the surface the body falls on.
  • Improved spikes detection. The enemy is now always stamped on the spikes after a hit. Additionally spikes audio feedback is now improved and new FXs were added (displayed based on the body's physical momentum).

Night Improvements and Balance

• Howler's senses range increased.
  • Increased the Howler resistance to range weapons.
  • The chase is triggered when a Howler is hit by a ranged weapon and is still alive.
  • Volatiles come out of hiding spots faster during the chase.
  • Level 4 of the chase is now more difficult.

UI/UX Improvements

• Survivor Sense now works correctly and can be triggered without any cooldowns after getting hit or performing specific parkour actions.
  • Improvements to the Options Menu information architecture incl. a dedicated Accessibility Tab.
  • Added feature to show, hide or dynamically display Player Health Bar, Item Selector, and Time of Day Indicator.
  • The dynamic setting for Player Health Bar is the new default and hides the bar when the player is at 100% health.
  • The dynamic setting for Item Selector is the new default. The Item Selector becomes visible when in combat and when performing combat actions or using D-Pad.
  • The dynamic setting for the Time of Day Indicator is the new default setting. The Time of Day Indicator becomes visible during day-night transitional periods.
  • All of the widgets that are set Hidden or Dynamic become visible in Extended HUD.
  • Visual Improvements to Player HP and Stamina bars. These elements are lighter and their colors are more neutral.
  • Visual Improvements to the enemies' stance meter to more clearly indicate its connection to blunt weapons.

Improvements to the Final Boss Fight

• Fixed an issue where the opponent does not react correctly to other players and does not change behavior that might lead to several glitches during CO-OP play.
  • Alternate opponent behaviors in Phase 2 during CO-OP play.
  • Opponent performs area attacks more frequently during CO-OP sessions.
  • Shortening the narrative scenes between the phases in a boss fight.
  • Boss fight pacing improvements.

Outro Improvements

• Improvements of the game endings sequences. Additional end-of-game scenes have been added to better align gameplay and outro scenes.

Balance Tweaks

• Higher Rank Bows are now more easily accessible at Merchants and in the world.
  • Banshees and Chargers are now more easily spotted in the Infected hordes during the night.

Technical Improvements

• Introduced high-performance preset that optimizes the displayed graphics which allows you to play Dying Light 2 on older computers and laptops.
  • PC DX12 cache-related improvements. The game now works smoother upon the first launch.
  • AVX technology is no longer used in the game, improving issues related to a game crashing on the launch.
  • Improvements in outdoor lighting.
  • Improvements to sun shadows.
  • Improvements to spotlight shadows.
  • Improvements to Motion Blur - added intensity and distance blur customization.

Brutality Pack

• Player hits with sharp weapons are now more precise and allow Players to chop off body parts of opponents and cut them in half more easily (vertically and horizontally).
  • Reworked audio for enemy hit response - different sounds are played depending on the strength of the hit and the damage the player deals.
  • Blood splats on the ground appear when Player hits the opponent.
  • If a player is close to the enemy during the attacks, the opponent's blood will splash on the screen.
  • Improved blood effects on enemy bodies after hits.
  • A dead enemy is now interactive and reacts accurately to blows and injuries.
  • A new effect of bloodstains on the enemies' bodies after hit.
  • New blood FXs have been added.

Wrong thread.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
20 hours in and I'm having a great time with rx 580 4gb, i5 8400, 16gb ram. 1080p, high settings. It got better in time. I don't know if it's related to that shaders thing, map location or patches though.

JRW

Running very well on an i7 8700K / 16GB / 3060 Ti / 1080P 144Hz graphic preset on Maximum.

I don't mind the 60fps cap but wish I could at least force the game to run 144Hz (60fps) instead of 60Hz which causes monitor to sometimes black out for a few seconds when tabbing out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have Shader cache set to Unlimited in Nvidia control panel & Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling enabled in Win 10's graphic settings page.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
i5 4460
DDR3 8 GB 1600MHz
GTX 950 2GB

I was running the game on 720p with everything on low on about 45 fps but with a lot of stuttering, so now i'm using RivaTuner to lock it on 30 fps and it feels much better. Still have some stuttering here and there of course (if even PCs with high-end specs are having, imagine me) but nothing that let me crazy. Here's hope that the game may get a patch that optimize the performance so I can run it on 1080p on low lol
I recommend 31 fps using Nvidia control panel, you will see the difference.

Last edited:

RNG

Running very well on an i7 8700K / 16GB / 3060 Ti / 1080P 144Hz graphic preset on Maximum.

I don't mind the 60fps cap but wish I could at least force the game to run 144Hz (60fps) instead of 60Hz which causes monitor to sometimes black out for a few seconds when tabbing out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have Shader cache set to Unlimited in Nvidia control panel & Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling enabled in Win 10's graphic settings page.
Have you tried running it in borderless fullscreen? Your refresh rate will stay the same but the game will still run at 60fps.

Reactions: JRW

JRW

Have you tried running it in borderless fullscreen? Your refresh rate will stay the same but the game will still run at 60fps.
Wow don't know why I didnt' think of that guess I'm not used to playing games locked 60Hz lol, Thanks this worked!

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: RNG

Pey.

The new fix/mod really addresses the low gpu/stuttering issues: https://www.pcmrace.com/2022/03/16/...el-bajo-uso-de-gpu-y-problemas-de-stuttering/

Before and after on a GTX 1070 Mobile. See GPU usage and FPS:

eldenring-2022-03-16-21-04-44-216.jpg

eldenring-2022-03-16-21-12-12-439.jpg

S0ULZB0URNE

You know he's a warrior at heart trying to score some kinda points for his team. PC supports literally any and every peripheral, officialy and unofficially. I wouldn't feed the troll.
He was probably talking about the features of the DS which the PC does not support for this.

S0ULZB0URNE

... Neither does DS have DS features for ps5? So not sure what the difference would be, except for full customizability from steam controller options vs stock support?
I never said it did on PS5.
I am saying that is probably what he meant for DS for ER on PC.

It needs DS features for both versions.

I never said it did on PS5.
I am saying that is probably what he meant for DS for ER on PC.

It needs DS features for both versions.
If it's a basic cable and an authentic official DS, there would be no reason this wouldn't work on steam though. They have had controller support since almost it's inception. You'd have to have no PC in order to ask the question, whether it's supported or not.

If I'm not mistaken, the only controllers that had an issue were older legacy stuff. But not any controller from the last 10 years.

S0ULZB0URNE

If it's a basic cable and an authentic official DS, there would be no reason this wouldn't work on steam though. They have had controller support since almost it's inception. You'd have to have no PC in order to ask the question, whether it's supported or not.

If I'm not mistaken, the only controllers that had an issue were older legacy stuff. But not any controller from the last 10 years.
FEATURES of the DS I am talking about.

We can get ANY controller to work on PC but the features are a bit more complicated.

FEATURES of the DS I am talking about.

We can get ANY controller to work on PC but the features are a bit more complicated.
But if the FEATURES aren't in the ps5 version, why would someone expect them to be in the PC version, unless community made, dev special, etc. That's my whole point of my post. Of course all controllers work on steam, you can even play with a banana (seriously). But you can't expect DS features, if it's bread and butter (ps5), don't even have any DS features to boot with.

S0ULZB0URNE

But if the FEATURES aren't in the ps5 version, why would someone expect them to be in the PC version, unless community made, dev special, etc. That's my whole point of my post. Of course all controllers work on steam, you can even play with a banana (seriously). But you can't expect DS features, if it's bread and butter (ps5), don't even have any DS features to boot with.
That is along the lines of what I am saying.

S0ULZB0URNE

Gotcha. So I'm confused on what we're talking about then? DS works on PC in the game. Both ps5 and PC version don't include DS features. Dude asked if he can play with a DS on PC. Of course he can. I'm lost
Right... I think he meant the features(as any controller works on PC)but I could be wrong.

skneogaf

Just tried running through areas on torrent and didn't notice any stutters, I'll know more about the performance improvements when I play for 12 hours plus on my day off.

The gpu and cpu usage was fine and well under 75 percent at 4k 60fps maximum settings, I saw a few 55fps to 58fps flashes on the fps counter which my gsync covered.

Hopefully this will get it much closer to great performance as I had crash to desktop errors in the 100 hours I've done thus far.

In non performance related stuff

The npc thing helped as I forgot I spoke to some dude about a Fort and it shown him, where I met him.

Md Ray

you always could... why wouldn't you?
I was asking whether it's got native DualSense support (with DS button prompts) like the Ubisoft and other 3rd party titles do.
You know he's a warrior at heart trying to score some kinda points for his team. PC supports literally any and every peripheral, officialy and unofficially. I wouldn't feed the troll.
Says the warrior. Still, living rent-free in your head huh?

vpance

For those who still care the loading stutters seem to have been finally fixed with this latest patch.

Looks like they're using an extra 1GB or so of VRAM now to keep more common assets preloaded.

Top Bottom