• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: PC Players are Accidentally Losing a Ton of Progress Due to Steam Cloud Issue (IGN)

kingfey

Banned

Players on the PC version of Elden Ring are losing a considerable amount of progress due to a Steam Cloud save issue.

Since yesterday, players are sharing how they’ve come across an issue where the Steam version of Elden Ring asks players whether they’d like to download their cloud save or upload their local save.

This wouldn’t be an issue except the cloud save is often woefully out of date, and players who fail to check their data may accidentally download a save state from hours or even days earlier, losing their current progress.

Bandai Namco acknowledged the issue in a tweet saying it is “aware” of how some games aren’t being saved correctly to the Steam Cloud.

For now, the company is recommending players read this notification carefully and ensure that they choose the most recent save state for synchronization. The date and time for the cloud files and local files are in the Steam notification and players should choose the most recent one.

Be warned, it’s not always immediately clear which save state is the most recent, so be sure to check the date and time carefully before either downloading a Cloud Save or uploading a local save.

You can also back up your local save data elsewhere as overwriting your current save could be permanent.

Online players have said they lost up to 10 hours of progress, which includes several boss clears, levels, and gear. In a game like Elden Ring where each boss is a monumental challenge, and the world is so large that reacquiring items can be a huge ask, 10 hours of progress is a lot.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, Steam can desync saves if you play offline or for whatever reason it doesn't sync, I don't know if Elden Ring in particular does anything special to fail the cloud save or the local save, but when the dialogue pops up it shows you the date/time each save was made so, choose the latest, duh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

MrFunSocks

Banned
This would only apply in situations where you’re playing the PC version on multiple different PCs on the same save, right?

Reizo Ryuu

I got the same message, last upload was on release.
There's no way to lose data though, the message makes it clear which of the data is newer because it literally marks at as NEWER, and shows you the dates for both files (also, always pick local data duh).
No sympathy for those that lost data because they couldn't be bothered to read.

This would only apply in situations where you’re playing the PC version on multiple different PCs on the same save, right?
No, it was a bug, it apparently only uploaded on release and then didn't for days.
When it finally resumed the cloud uploads steam of course sees the files are out of sync and the message pops up, but it will always tell you which file is newer.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

My wife had this message pop up this morning and even commented on the discrepancy between the times of the two files because she luckily noticed.

V4skunk

Banned
I got the message! Actually read it!
And it clearly stated the steam cloud hasn't updated since so and so date! Which for me was like 5 days ago....
So I obviously chose to use my local save file.
Any one that lost progress has no one to blame but them selves.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I got the same message, last upload was on release.
There's no way to lose data though, the message makes it clear which of the data is newer because it literally marks at as NEWER, and shows you the dates for both files (also, always pick local data duh).
No sympathy for those that lost data because they couldn't be bothered to read.

No, it was a bug, it apparently only uploaded on release and then didn't for days.
When it finally resumed the cloud uploads steam of course sees the files are out of sync and the message pops up, but it will always tell you which file is newer.
So in that instance why would anyone ever choose to load an older cloud save over their newer local save?

While the bug is relatively bad, seems like user error has just as much to do with causing players to lose their progress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom