• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING | Reviews Mega Thread

Is this you Gaf?

nj9eXj7.jpg

Woggleman

The last Horizon sold 20 million and has a huge fanbase. I see no reason why the sequel won't follow the same path.

From and Souls type of games are damn near a religion in some circles so of course it would generate enthusiasm in the gaming community. No other games have this kind of devoted following in this day and age.

As someone who has clocked in 100 hours + (40 pc and 60+ ps5) I will tell you this right now - be prepared to drop your controller on the floor along with your jaw numerous times. If Displate doesn't create posters out of some of the locations from Elden Ring. I will riot. Sometimes you won't even want to leave the area and just stand there or sit on your horse. If you have guests coming over to your house, a very large good HDR 4K TV with combination of Elden Ring will create some beautiful gigantic display potraits for your walls that will make them question you where did you get such pretty images. This game is literal moving Roman paintings.

Last edited:

Elios83

I have played all the Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro and I'm a huge fan of Souls games so I'm really happy to see such a high praise for this game.
In general though I'm a bit skeptical when games get such high ratings (see Red Dead Redemption 2 and Zelda BOTW and others) because in all past cases I thought there was some clear overrating due to certain circumstances.
Hopefully I'm going to be blown away as well, my copy is already preordered and I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

Last edited:
As someone who has clocked in 100 hours + (40 pc and 60+ ps5) I will tell you this right now - be prepared to drop your controller on the floor along with your jaw numerous times. If Displate doesn't create posters out of some of the locations from Elden Ring. I will riot. Sometimes you won't even want to leave the area and just stand there or sit on your horse. If you have guests coming over to your house, a very large good HDR 4K TV with combination of Elden Ring will create some beautiful gigantic display potraits for your walls that will make them question you where did you get such pretty images. This game is literal moving Roman paintings.
Since you've played I have a question - is there much else going on in the world besides just killing enemies and discovering things? Any puzzles or big cinematic moments? I'll love the game but I'm curious. Also were the environments very unique?

Fools idol

Banned
agreed. Some of the later game areas, and the 'underworld' places are truly beautiful to behold. Haunting and mesmerising atmosphere throughout.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
So, I have never played a FROM game, and don't know if I will ever try Elden Ring... But I have found the hype intriguing. I like following the industry.

Just want to break something out here, for those who would find this interesting too.

Currently on MetaCritic - Elden Ring sits at a 97 aggregate score. That is with 44 critic reviews currently clocked.
That places it in a tie for 3rd place, and in the company of only 24 total games that have been rated a 97 - 99 ( the highest rated game of all time and lone 99 score is Ocarina of Time )

Breaking those stats down further:
  • There are only 19 total games that have ever scored a 97, out of 24 total titles that gave scored a 97 or above to which this is currently in the mix of. Currently this game is tied at 97 with the likes of GTA 3 and 5, Halo, Breath of the Wild, Perfect Dark, Super Mario Galaxy and a few other major titles. That is already pretty elite company, however it gets even more interesting the deeper we dive.

• Of those 19 total games that scored a 97, only 7 were games from current (Current PC, PS5, Series X) or this last generation (PS4, One, PC within last 8 years).

• Expanding on this current or last gen ranking even farther and including all the top 24 games (rated from 99 overall to 97 overall), there are still only 7 titles (none of the current 98-99 rated games are from current or last gen), so it doesn't change that in the last decade barely more than a handful have achieved this.

• If you take out the repeat titles in this list of 24 (same game, different console) from the list - 6 titles; RDR2 ( appears twice ), , GTA IV ( appears twice ), GTA V ( appears four times ) , and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 ( appears twice ) and leave only their corresponding highest ranked entry so they are represented only 1 time, that means it actually falls in the top 18 titles of all time, and eliminating the repeating titles so only the highest rated version of one game is represented, is one of only 5 unique titles to score this high in the last 2 generations of consoles.

So yeah, enjoy this game all of those who are about to step in! It's definitely making a mark as one of the few elite titles of a generation and in gaming history. Maybe when things are a bit more normalized for me and my life again, I will pick it up and give it a go with you all.
Wow, thanks for the high effort post in a thread for a game you don't particularly care for. I despise Meta/Opencritic but still found some Interesting stats there.

Made for a nice read between all the bullshit.

Hope things "normalize" for you soon and you give it a stab.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What platform played better?
Ordered ps5 version myself

Last edited:
Since you've played I have a question - is there much else going on in the world besides just killing enemies and discovering things? Any puzzles or big cinematic moments? I'll love the game but I'm curious. Also were the environments very unique?
Not sure what u mean by cinematic moments, there are no crazy cut-scenes or anything. There are cuts-scenes during boss sections or when they change phases but only to certain bosses and those are locked down areas usually, not in the open world. Discovering things is the biggest part of the open world, its how it happens and how the game makes you do it. Sense of wonder and exploration is unmatched. It's basically an M-Rated Dark Gothic Fantasy Zelda Breath of the Wild. Yes, there are some puzzles. Yes enviornments are jaw-dropping.

GloveSlap

I'm super hyped, but i might have to wait if the SeriesX version needs work.

I have a 1650 super/Ryzen 3600 PC as well, but i doubt that would be so hot either.

Fools idol

Banned
VaatiVidya is going to have a field day with the depth of the lore on display here. The interwoven characters, mysteries, clues and secrets are just wonderful stuff.

jorgejjvr

Question, I game share with my brother, do the Xbox and/or ps5 version also include the last Gen version? Example, horizon came with both ps4 and ps5 copies of the game

Not sure what u mean by cinematic moments, there are no crazy cut-scenes or anything. There are cuts-scenes during boss sections or when they change phases but only to certain bosses and those are locked down areas usually, not in the open world. Discovering things is the biggest part of the open world, its how it happens and how the game makes you do it. Sense of wonder and exploration is unmatched. It's basically an M-Rated Dark Gothic Fantasy Zelda Breath of the Wild. Yes, there are some puzzles. Yes enviornments are jaw-dropping.
What I meant about cinematic moments is I saw a clip in a trailer with characters riding in some sort of trolley in hell. Not a cutscene but like unique stuff like that

noise36

Holy crap! I have been following Elden Ring from afar and thought no way this game can live up to the hype surely! Now I will have to buy it even if I hate souls games.

Do I buy it on XSX, PS5 or PC???

Last edited:

paulyboy81

Neo Member
From Software never changes man. At this point I think they do it on purpose.

Trouble is they don't exactly have the best track record of fixing stuff either, Bloodborne still has frame pacing issues to this day, as does Sekiro on base last gen machines. Performance continues to be fairly shaky across most of their titles to this day, short of brute forcing them with back compat.

I know some of the initial videos have Elden Ring running fairly decently on PS5, but it's still a long way from locked most of the time and I'd wager it's still capable of dropping into the 40's once we get a more thorough analysis from elsewhere.

I think truthfully the only hope any of us have of playing this judder free on console for the time being is with a VRR display and a Series console or a last gen version running in back compat. John from DF was on Twitter earlier asking if anyone had ever managed to get a last gen version of a Smart Delivery title running on a Series X, doesn't exactly bode well for the analysis.

Such a shame From stuff is always like this. I'm sure the game will shine through regardless, but it's so frustrating.

Fools idol

Banned
The Xenomorph-like centipede hyrbid enemies that stalk the miner caverns are possibly even more irritating than the cartwheeling skeletons of previous games. Just a fucking nightmare to fight against and quickly swarm your ass. Miyazaki had fun making these monstrosities.

SZips

The Xenomorph-like centipede hyrbid enemies that stalk the miner caverns are possibly even more irritating than the cartwheeling skeletons of previous games. Just a fucking nightmare to fight against and quickly swarm your ass. Miyazaki had fun making these monstrosities.
I had such a hard time with them until I realized I shouldn't be attempting big, slower, damaging attacks on them but weaker, more rapid hits. I switched over to using my rapid cast bolt thingy (I forget the name of it at the moment) and rinsed them.

Fools idol

Banned
I had such a hard time with them until I realized I shouldn't be attempting big, slower, damaging attacks on them but weaker, more rapid hits. I switched over to using my rapid cast bolt thingy (I forget the name of it at the moment) and rinsed them.
yeah my slow, hulky tanky warrior build just had no hope. I ended up taking off all my armour and rolling around like a mad man oldschool style to pass them. Fuckers

Mossybrew

Happy this has turned out so well for those who like it - I must not get suckered in by the hype because I already know with absolutely certainty, From games are not for me…

Yup, same. I might give it a go months down the road when I can research the most EZ-mode character builds, ways to cheese bosses, etc. It looks like an interesting world to explore but I ain't got the time or patience for bosses kicking my ass repeatedly.

Last edited:

SZips

yeah my slow, hulky tanky warrior build just had no hope. I ended up taking off all my armour and rolling around like a mad man oldschool style to pass them. Fuckers
Since we don't have to keep things a secret really anymore, I have to ask: How did you end up there in the first place?

Did you discover it naturally or did you maybe open up a chest and... *poof*?

Mine was the second route and very early on in the game at that.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Since we don't have to keep things a secret really anymore, I have to ask: How did you end up there in the first place?

Did you discover it naturally or did you maybe open up a chest and... *poof*?

Mine was the second route and very early on in the game at that.

I just found it by wandering the world. I tried to stay clear of the guide light paths and do my own thing as much as possible, which yields some hilarious 'what the fuck' moments but is the best way to play this game. Theres nothing better than walking into an area and getting falcon punched by a horrible bastard 50+ levels too high for your peon.

LOLCats

Banned
that is typically Souls stuff. you can beat the games without any leveling at all, or you gk easy mode and farm like crazy
Cool, honestly if all these doofus media reviewers can play it then im sure i can handle it. Ive always been a slow roller in rpgs and level pretty heavily before proceeding further in main story line progression.

Top Bottom