• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING | Reviews Mega Thread

jaysius

Banned
. . .so, they've faked the footage you're seeing?
Never heard of them, who knows how good their tools are. If they don't understand aspects of the game, perhaps their testing is flawed too.

You failed to address that the person you're trying to standup for said REVIEWS have talked about Xbox performance issues, when reviewers have received PC code and haven't mentioned platform performance.

jaysius

Banned
MY GOD, I want to love this series. I'm full steam ahead on this. Being able to tackle the world at my own pace seems less brutal than the gauntlet of the other games.
Yup, lots to grind on in this one to level up to over level challenges, as opposed to before being limited by progress where you were grinding, it can make the game far more interesting.

Dream-Knife

Banned

I'll drop it after this, but if you are feeling brave then take my fun quiz and see how you score.

Name that game!

XGuKOfv.jpg

UwvaiD2.jpg

S0LOZaA.jpg

7rBSITu.jpg

wadHhHo.jpg

uXXGnHc.jpg

ZdYKr3a.jpg

6qLUln9.jpg

1. Dark Souls 3
2. Dark Souls 3
3. Elden Ring
4. Elden Ring
5. Dark Souls 3
6. Elden Ring
7. Elden Ring
8. Dark Souls 3
Great! DS3 on PC at 1440p ultra looked amazing.

SZips

I just found it by wandering the world. I tried to stay clear of the guide light paths and do my own thing as much as possible, which yields some hilarious 'what the fuck' moments but is the best way to play this game. Theres nothing better than walking into an area and getting falcon punched by a horrible bastard 50+ levels too high for your peon.
So true. I was doing a lot of exploration as well while still also loosely following the starter guide when needed.

I sadly entered that area through the trapped chest in an early part of the game that teleported me into a hut inside there just below one of those fuckers. Needless to say, I died a lot before getting to the entrance and teleporting back to where I was.

Fools idol

Banned

I suspect I know which boss he is talking about. It's an optional boss, I don't wanna spoiler but eeeeeeeeehmegherd I fully agree with him.

the one in the cave system. That's all I wanna say.. even if you clicked this you need to see this one blind and be like holy shit.

So many bosses are hidden away in deep dungeons that most players will miss on their first play through. I'm still finding new areas on my 2nd run.

Last edited:

I suspect I know which boss he is talking about. It's an optional boss, I don't wanna spoiler but eeeeeeeeehmegherd I fully agree with him.

the one in the cave system. That's all I wanna say.. even if you clicked this you need to see this one blind and be like holy shit.

So many bosses are hidden away in deep dungeons that most players will miss on their first play through. I'm still finding new areas on my 2nd run.

yeah there is a ton of hidden shit. If I had to make an actual complaint though is that I feel some of the bosses are reskinned a bit much, but at same time with how large and detailed this game is in terms of world building and lore I can understand that they didn't really had all the time in the world to make super unique boss for every little place so I forgive them.

oof that KH2 review was hard to watch.

I appreciate he's trying to convey how someone new to the franchise might experience the game, it's a valuable insight, but not for a review.

ANYWAY,
who cares!, can't wait to infinitely frustrated at my own incompetency for the next few weeks :D
yea ill be playing it as well but those are just some of the reviews that come to mind when game websites the people who dont care about certain games to review them.

Fools idol

Banned
yeah there is a ton of hidden shit. If I had to make an actual complaint though is that I feel some of the bosses are reskinned a bit much, but at same time with how large and detailed this game is in terms of world building and lore I can understand that they didn't really had all the time in the world to make super unique boss for every little place so I forgive them.
indeed.... the treeant version of Margit was cool though.

Last edited:

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Anyone have experience using VRR on this? Trying to decide which version to pick up. Leaning to PS5 (it's a soul's game after all) but if VRR resolves some of the reported frame rate inconsistency I'll grab it on the X.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Holy crap! I have been following Elden Ring from afar and thought no way this game can live up to the hype surely! Now I will have to buy it even if I hate souls games.

Do I buy it on XSX, PS5 or PC???

If your PC outstrips console spec then PC, of course. If not then where do you have adequate storage/brand preference? Seems though people have had issues on every platform, performance has never been an issue to the point of making it a poor experience especially since you indicated you've bought into current gen.

Do you like coop/Pvp? What platform are your friends on? PC is always the best option with no additional factors to consider, but isn't the best option for everyone.

... if you hate Souls games this might end badly for you though.

Best of luck.

ethomaz

Banned
This is going very very well. Imagine being Horizon... the luck they have is terrible. First one released right around Zelda BOTW now the 2nd one releases right around Elden Ring. Granted, Elden Ring doesn't have the mass appeal that a Zelda has, but still.
I don’t think that matter at all.
Horizon ended selling amazing.
I still expect Horizon 2 to sell more than Elder Ring just because one if more popular than the other… Souls games have a limited fan base (if I’m not wrong around 10 million).

But maybe that new Meta put it in the hands of non-Souls fans.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I still expect Horizon 2 to sell more than Elder Ring just because one if more popular than the other… Souls games have a limited fan base (if I’m not wrong around 10 million).

DS3 sold over 10 million itself.

I don't think id bet on HZFW selling more than Elden Ring.

Not necessarily in terms of sales. It did end up selling a lot, I assume the 2nd one will as well, but it was just over shadowed almost immediately once BOTW came out. Especially the first one. It just seems like another Open-world game launches right around when a Horizon game launches. The real test is if, I mean when, the next Horizon launches... imagine there being another Open-world game launching then too!

jaysius

Banned
I have both too and got it on Series X.

From the sound of this, looks like it's f'd either way! 40fps?!?

There's an embargo on talking about performance, this is why Digital Foundry isn't posting their own video right now.

Wait until some other sources talk about framerate before this video that's been reposted 20 times here get to you.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
DS3 sold over 10 million itself.

I don't think id bet on HZFW selling more than Elden Ring.
It was the first time the franchise did that.
The sales potential is indeed lower than Horizon… the difference become even more apparent when you realize DS3 was released in more platforms than Horizon.

Of course the hope is that the 9x meta can make non-souls fans buy it so it can become the best selling From game.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

It was the first time the franchise did that.
The sales potential is indeed lower than Horizon… the difference become even more apparent when you realize DS3 was released in more platforms than Horizon.
And?
These games are no longer niche.

So if Elden Ring sells more you are going to play the "it's on more platforms spin"?

There's an embargo on talking about performance, this is why Digital Foundry isn't posting their own video right now.

Wait until some other sources talk about framerate before this video that's been reposted 20 times here get to you.
Saw video on my own. Came to thread on phone. Didn't read through 19 pages. I'll do better next time.

Batiman

Banned

This has me more hyped. FS always has the most enemy/boss variety. Never know what’s next or what the next area is gonna look like.I’m glad I avoided most of the previews of this

Moonjt9

Getting flashbacks to horizon vs BOTW review thread in here. I don’t care. I’ll platinum both and be happy that 2022 has already given us absolute bangers.

ckaneo

A hyped up follow up of a 20 million selling new IP and you think it'll sell less?

You're smokin crack
So, he might be right because of ps5 shortages. Yes the game is on ps4, but we have seen given the option gamers will generally wait to buy to these games on the ps5. (70/30 split isnt abnormal)

If Sony cant get the ps5 install base to the ps4 levels and enough time passes other ps5 games could take up mindshare. Hell, maybe even Horizon 3

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
There's so many Elden Ring threads already but I'm wondering what folks are planning on playing class-wise. Right now that is my biggest dilemma

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Wow, thanks for the high effort post in a thread for a game you don't particularly care for. I despise Meta/Opencritic but still found some Interesting stats there.

Made for a nice read between all the bullshit.

Hope things "normalize" for you soon and you give it a stab.
You're welcome! Glad it was interesting enough for you to specifically mention, data is always fun!

I hope I get to try it as my first FROM game soon too, but life at times moves at speeds that don't allow us to take time out for the little joys. I am currently dealing with that, unfortunately.

Have fun! Thanks again for mentioning my post, made me feel good! Haha.

DonF

so what happened with the grr martin involvment? i've seen close to nothing about the story. No mentions, nada. I know its a souls game so info is scarce and all, but it seems they announced the game with GRRM but dropped all mentions of him in later trailers and marketing.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Yup.
Slayed!

Now we wait on Gow R and Starfield which both will give Elden Ring a better fight.
Yes, I agree - GoW and Starfield are more in Elden Ring's weight class. All 3 have the potential to be games of the generation. That being said, as a fan of GoW, I don't know what it's going to do to reach game of the generation status again. Like what would they add to the game to make it a huge improvement on GoW 2018 besides more enemy variety

Top Bottom