• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING | Reviews Mega Thread

S0ULZB0URNE

Yes, I agree - GoW and Starfield are more in Elden Ring's weight class. All 3 have the potential to be games of the generation. That being said, as a fan of GoW, I don't know what it's going to do to reach game of the generation status again. Like what would they add to the game to make it a huge improvement on GoW 2018 besides more enemy variety
I think Gow R is going to blow HZ FW away and be a worthy successor to Gow.

Starfield has a aura around it and could end up amazing.

NickFire

Preordered. No way I could wait on something this highly rated. Still cant believe how fast 2022 has picked up in terms of huge games releasing and being great. This two to three month stretch could go toe to toe with the best of them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yes, I agree - GoW and Starfield are more in Elden Ring's weight class. All 3 have the potential to be games of the generation. That being said, as a fan of GoW, I don't know what it's going to do to reach game of the generation status again. Like what would they add to the game to make it a huge improvement on GoW 2018 besides more enemy variety

I pretty much guarantee that no title released this year is going to be "game of the generation", its way too early.

And frankly, none of the games mentioned seem remotely radical enough to hit that spot. Starfield, potentially... maybe, but lets be brutallly honest everything else is a cross-gen sequel or "spiritual successor*".

Looking forward to Elden Ring, (preloaded already) but objectively I'm still concerned by the insane hype surrounding it. FightinCowboy's review had some very sensible points of criticism for example despite being extremely positive.

*i.e. a rebranded sequel.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Has there been a video or photos that compare the PS4 version compared to the PS5 version in terms of visuals textures? Not performance per se, because you can play the PS4 version on the PS5 obviously.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I've read many times that this one has a great tutorial for beginners, and the open world nature of the game should make it less frustating thatn the previous titles.

Hope you like the game dude. BEst case scenario you'll have a ton of souls games to play after this one.
I know what you mean, but I myself am highly skeptical of Starfield and not just because MS bought Bethesda either! :). Seriously, some of the comments they've made about wanting it to be more "realistic" and just the lack of pretty much ANY information or clips, etc. from the game make me think that either there are issues...or...they are very far away from having a finished product. Granted, being less far along than everyone would hope is the likeliest answer to that conundrum. We will see. What very little that has been shown so far does look impressive...but anyone can come up with pretty artwork. We still don't even have an idea of what kind of game it is. So I think they have a long ways to go yet.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
His gut. He clearly doesn't realize how these things work.
futurama-maybe.gif

Swift_Star

Banned
So, he might be right because of ps5 shortages. Yes the game is on ps4, but we have seen given the option gamers will generally wait to buy to these games on the ps5. (70/30 split isnt abnormal)

If Sony cant get the ps5 install base to the ps4 levels and enough time passes other ps5 games could take up mindshare. Hell, maybe even Horizon 3
The same applies to Elden Ring, though? People will rather play on ps5 and xsx/xss, not on xone and ps4.
If we’re counting pc, well, HFW will also release on pc down the road.
Your point is 100% moot.

hannibal2469

Neo Member
Anyone know what the main boss count is? as in the number of bosses in legacy dungeons that we have to do to complete the story. I like to keep track of how far into the main story I am.

We know literally zero about Starfield lol

This is comical

No game, bar Zelda, will have a metacritic score as high …I’m doubtful even Zelda will given its a sequel

Wooxsvan

bummer just watched a video of how the Bloodborne dodge works and it's just like DS3. it's a weapon skill and uses FP. so it doesn't replace roll like Id hoped. I'd say game will be great but Bloodborne combat will still be peak souls for me.

Buggy Loop

Good use of a review copy there, Bandai Namco.

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

I'm not sure if it's satire anymore..

If serious, this is prime candidate for the 4chan trolling group that had a "guide" in discord to give Elden ring negative impressions.
So many known Souls players have now given their impressions on Elden ring and they all praise it as the best souls game. Nothing about "1 sec" delay on inputs... Gotta be satire.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Disagree. It's completely counterproductive to put non fans/non interested people to review a game they don't like. What would be the purpose of that? New perspective? Nah

as they should. No point in putting people that don’t like the genre/games to review them.
No real critic or journalist should have genre biases, it's about experiences, not genres, true gamers can play anything and see value in it. Putting fanboys to review games ruins the whole point of reviews, it's long been the reason for dissonance between JRPGs fans and normal RPG fans.

Airbus Jr

Banned
No real critic or journalist should have genre biases, it's about experiences, not genres, true gamers can play anything and see value in it. Putting fanboys to review games ruins the whole point of reviews, it's long been the reason for dissonance between JRPGs fans and normal RPG fans.
Look at IGN Dan Stapleton Bloodborne awfull review

Thats what happened when people who dp not understand /are not into the genre were tasked to review a game

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Skyrim in space ain’t touching Elden Ring’s meta. Bethesda would have to elevate their game enormously from what they gave us in the last gen
Meta isnt everything when it comes to GOTY. RDR2 had a higher meta than GOW and GOW took home more GOTYs. TLOU had a lower metacritic than GTAV and pretty much won every single award that year.

Same goes for Death Stranding which had a 83 metacritic and still took home more awards than RE2 and Sekiro which were both in the 90s.

But this might be From's year.

Meta isnt everything when it comes to GOTY. RDR2 had a higher meta than GOW and GOW took home more GOTYs. TLOU had a lower metacritic than GTAV and pretty much won every single award that year.

Same goes for Death Stranding which had a 83 metacritic and still took home more awards than RE2 and Sekiro which were both in the 90s.

But this might be From's year.

That’s true, but I just don’t see anything topping this

It’s like this year’s BOTW.

2017 had tons of games too

Come to think of it - kinda weird that the last horizon released in the same year BOTW did - largely considered one of the best games ever. And no this horizon releases, not only is the sequel to BOTW coming out but also Elden ring? Man they can’t catch a break - if they released last year probably would’ve won

@ Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_
“Any chance someone who couldn't get into Demon's Souls (2020) will like this?
Yes, but it depends on what you didn’t like about Demon souls.”

This game is more approachable than DS because you don’t have to restart entire levels to fight the bosses again when you die. But the game is still challenging so if you didn’t like DS for that then you will not like this game either.

Last edited:
Yes, but it depends on what you didn’t like about Demon souls.

This game is more approachable than DS because you don’t have to restart entire levels to fight the bosses again when you die. But the game is still challenging so if you didn’t like DS for that then you will not like this game either.
A question from me who is slightly on the fence - - I struggled with Demon souls largely because - yes I had issues with defeating the bosses - but also I got invaded by someone and I couldn’t progress past that point cus I didn’t know how to beat them. I enjoy the regular flow of the games but the major thing was that invasion I just didn’t know what to do. I think the fact that we can run away to somewhere else might temper it and the save points being more liberal?

Y0ssarian

Banned
Yes, but it depends on what you didn’t like about Demon souls.

I never said that. I've beaten Demon's Souls

Banned
Sorry, i didn't know developers don't care about their work being recognized. Or are they included in this group of retards? Doesn't that make you a retard for playing their games?
if you are a dev and you think a bunch of idiots who barely know how to hold a controller giving you an award means something, you are a fucking idiot yes...

Top Bottom