• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING | Reviews Mega Thread

Dr.Morris79

I cant get off the game, it's too good.

yFnM9Ke.jpg
z2Gyb7a.jpg
rMZqcc7.jpg

Jaffe is calling Elden Ring reviews “Stupid” and “Embarrassing”

In a recent video he is now calling it the best game he's ever played 😅

Funny he's had a bit of turn around on souls game. He couldn't play bloodborne for more than 30 minutes at one point but he's finished that too.

Souls games often have that effect on people lol

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
This months Play magazine (used to be official PlayStation magazine but guess they lost the licence) gave it an 8.

Ogbert

Jaffe is calling Elden Ring reviews “Stupid” and “Embarrassing”

I thought the video was fine.

He's generous about the game - absolutely loves it. He just points out some objective facts.

The game is slightly overrated. It will be my GOTY, but From (like Nintendo) do get a pass on certain technical elements.

Alphagear

I thought the video was fine.

He's generous about the game - absolutely loves it. He just points out some objective facts.

The game is slightly overrated. It will be my GOTY, but From (like Nintendo) do get a pass on certain technical elements.

Exactly one of the best games I've played but that doesn't mean it is perfect.

The reviews were generous. No way you can give perfect scores with the average graphics/performance alone.

Not gonna mention the Accessibility of the game. Past Souls game got away with it cause they were linear to an extent.

This game was a nightmare. Thank God for the Internet.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A fantastic game but very difficult for me anyway. What's the best way to defend? I find rolling to be very ineffective, any tips?

As the other guy said, if check your inventory screen towards the bottom right there's an indicator of whether you have a "low load, med load, heavy load". Every item you equip including weapons that you can hotswap to add to your carry weight, at 70% and above of your maximum, you will "fat roll" which is incredibly ineffective. Swap to lighter armour until you're med. rolling. Endurance is your key stat as it increases not only your stamina bar but also your max equip load.

Once you're med. rolling, it is by far the most effective way to play but it still takes time for it to "click". You're invincible for the middle frames of the animation so it's about getting used to rolling just before an attack connects.

As the other guy said, if check your inventory screen towards the bottom right there's an indicator of whether you have a "low load, med load, heavy load". Every item you equip including weapons that you can hotswap to add to your carry weight, at 70% and above of your maximum, you will "fat roll" which is incredibly ineffective. Swap to lighter armour until you're med. rolling. Endurance is your key stat as it increases not only your stamina bar but also your max equip load.

Once you're med. rolling, it is by far the most effective way to play but it still takes time for it to "click". You're invincible for the middle frames of the animation so it's about getting used to rolling just before an attack connects.
Thank you, I'll have a look.

FrankWza

There's also a trinket that gives you a bunch extra equip load should you need it.
Yeah. I just meant as far as the way the game is balanced or whatever. Similar loads are less restrictive on stamina compared to souls games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Elden Ring is another classic courtesy of FromSoft, and not simply Dark Souls IV: Open World Edition.

It's the most engrossed I've been with a title in I don't know how long.

As amazing as it is, there's still some notable flaws that hold it back.

Having some time apart from release and completion has made them a bit more apparent.

Still, it's a amazing title that ranks among their very best.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Prelude
01:23 - Some notes before Diving In
03:53 - The Open world of Elden Ring
09:43 - Exploration in Elden Ring
12:44 - Torrent The Horse
13:52 - Combat in Elden Ring
16:34 - The Upgrade System
22:04 - Spirit Ashes
24:00 - Multiplayer in Elden Ring
27:19 - The Highs and Lows of Elden Ring
27:40 - Limgrave
30:19 - Liurnia Of The Lakes
32:23 - Caelid
35:15 - Underground
36:55 - Altus Plateau
38:52 - Leyndell, Royal Capital
40:17 - Too Much of a Good Thing
42:26 - Mountaintops Of The Giants
44:15 - Consecrated Snowfield
44:39 - Miquella's Haligtree
48:09 - Crumbling Farum Azula
49:19 - The Final Stretch
51:09 - The Lore and Quests of Elden Ring
54:37 - What's Next?
58:57 - In Conclusion

Jennings

Polygon has a little more to say about Elden Ring.

Elden Ring’s Malenia embodies FromSoftware’s problems with women​

Malenia exemplifies the way FromSoft writes women in its games. Whether bosses or NPCs you meet in the wild, these women have a shared condition. They exist in tragically declined worlds, sharing a specific brokenness; disfigurement, abandonment, and loss. They are afflicted by gender, and the “cure” for when they are obstacles instead of mutely helpful is for the player to enact succinct violence. It is a particular kind of idealized femininity, as fantastical as the foreboding castles and giant trees — demure, quiet, void of needs or motivations — an echoed presence of dolls, mothers, and even help-meets who guide the player along. Their emotions are muted in their more docile counterparts, before erupting into a shrieking, horrifying hysteria when encountered in combat.
Malenia’s boss fight is punishingly difficult, and the audience’s hostile and competitive attitudes about it are often steeped in gendered toxicity. Numerous Reddit posts, YouTube videos, and tweets talk about players’ failures or successes, while littered with sexist slurs. People also fell back into the usual community discourse about which methods of beating her were more valid and which ones made you a “pussy,” and success over her took on a weird masculinized chest-beating at times. These reactions are distasteful but not surprising. This boss fight creates friction between the developer’s ideas about gender and its ideas about enabling a power fantasy. It creates a weird performance when the game encourages players to embrace failure. This is only heightened by Malenia’s character design.

The bravado about beating Malenia makes sense; she evokes the idea of a virginal warrior like Joan of Arc or Brienne of Tarth, her purity and strength existing in a place beyond femininity. Her aesthetic references Athena or valkyries, but even when that is stripped away, her nakedness is terrifying rather than provocative. Everything about her is hostile and taunts the player. When faced with a difficult, defiant woman who has never been beaten, men cannot help but fantasize about being the one to take her down.
tl;dr Malenia is a sexy psycho designed to give men the chance to murder a woman and feel good about themselves.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
tl;dr Malenia is a sexy psycho designed to give men the chance to murder a woman and feel good about themselves.
Wrong lmao. Malenia is a sexy psycho designed to stomp on players with a femdom fetish. Those Polygon hacks know nothing.

GermanZepp

How can anyone read this and taking it seriously ? I mean at best this is clickbait garbage in a slow news day. At worse, if any word in that article was really meanted is the most cuckhold soyboy thing i ever read.

Jennings

How can anyone read this and taking it seriously ? I mean at best this is clickbait garbage in a slow news day. At worse, if any word in that article was really meanted is the most cuckhold soyboy thing i ever read.
It really does read like a satirical parody of articles like this. But it appears as though it's written in earnest.

She was a particularly difficult and therefore memorable cool boss in a game about taking down cool enemies who feel good to take down because that's kind of the point of video games so I guess the writer is right? Why does this person write about video games if they seem to hate one of their core principles 🤔

Edit: I just realized I've been baited. That's likely the reason this writer seems to write from the perspective of one who dislikes video games.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member

[/URL][/URL]

This bump was so effing garbage filled I almost actually requested my account be closed.

And I am not blaming you for posting it, Jennings Jennings - I just am constantly wowed at the depths of stupidity the gaming media continue to dish out. Friggin GEEZ.

Game was too hard for the Polygon writer to beat, wasn’t it?

Edit: homeboy is effing 39 years old and is writing HS level critical writing pho-intellectual stuff like this over a game that is MONTHS old. Geeeeeeeeeez.

Last edited:
Top Bottom