• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EldenGAF - NeoGAF community Elden Ring shared world multiplayer

Ok let's see those numbers:

• sounds good but I'm playing CNT solo. May join on launch or later!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bartski

Gold Member
Post CNT Edit: I have completely re-worked the thread with new info that came to light during the Closed Network Test and after

TLDR to the point - Elden Ring is upon us. As with FROM previous games, a filter to all shared world elements can be set in a form of a network password. I don't know anyone IRL who plans to play Elden Ring, so how about this:

Let's make a shared world of our own so we can slay enemies together when we're not murdering each other as invaders!

I hereby propose a password: eldengaf

To be used for all network play by fellow NeoGAF'ers as:

- GROUP PASSWORD: The mode made for community network play. Ideal for those who choose to play online in the open shared world. Group Password does not filter a shared player base but PRIORITIZES network activities by members of the community, and makes all such interactions look distinct and easy to recognize among the general player base. Makes you still interact with randoms to cut any downtime involved with multiplayer but you will always know when a sign/summon/invader or ghost is someone you may know from NeoGAF.

or

- MULTIPLAYER PASSWORD: if you choose only to interact with a small number of community members, so that all network play elements - signs, summons, invaders and ghosts are other members of NeoGAF. This mode is actually perfectly suitable for players who want to play the game solo, as it filters out the general player base for a very sparse, limited population, with fewer summon or invasion opportunities. However if such may occur, you know its a GAFer. All multiplayer is opt-in (unless covenants change that) so you won't get invaded or into a PvE unless you choose to do so.

Ideally, everyone coming to the party should use their NeoGAF username as in-game character name/id.

This post was written based on the amazing video by Illusory Wall, so if it's all still TLDR for you - this video explains it all:

if you prefer a wall of text tho, here goes:

NETWORK PLAY MECHANICS EXPLAINED

1. Group Password - the new mode designed to support COMMUNITY MULTIPLAYER

Elden Ring allows setting 2 passwords for multiplayer matchmaking - a multiplayer password and a group password. As confusing as it may sound, they both serve different purposes, made clear during the CNT.
While Multiplayer password is the "old way", the Group Password is designed exactly for what this thread is all about a - community-based multiplayer shared world.

A decade-old issue with a "network password" is that while it works if you want to match with friends, get together to fight a specific boss, or whatnot, it fails when used for community-oriented activities.

How so?

- It greatly extends summon invasion waiting time,
- Requires being "lucky" with your manually placed summon sign location vs status of the world of other players of that location - area boss being alive,
- Requires matching to "soul level range", a system confusing enough to require online calculators in many of its iterations.

As a result, players who want to co-op or PvP in the community mode are inclined to opt-out of the shared world and get back to the unlimited global pool, to increase the likelihood of just finding a player to match with.

Group password however solves it by

a. PRIORITIZING members of group password network play activities AMONG the global pool - without disabling it.

b. Making those activities DISTINCT LOOKING and recognizable among other "random" global pool activities, by adding an additional rune surrounding summon signs, messages, blood pools and even changing the color of ghosts.

Examples:

A regular Summon sign vs Group Password summon sign:

K1FqdQL.jpg

Group Password message sign, also surrounded by an additional circle of runes:

hr8gHhI.jpg

Ghosts from Group Password appearing with a golden tinge:

sF6XDqs.jpg

c. Together with the MP Stone Statue pool and related items this mode GUARANTEES the constant possibility for interaction between community members, and if those aren't available - with random players with zero friction and downtime.

A "stone statue" what is that you might ask?

2. SUMMON POOLS - for friction-less no downtime summoning and invasions

This is a stone statue.

5HD0HT0.jpg

Those are to be found everywhere in the world marking areas where you can expect to find many summon signs, both friendly and hostiles, as well as areas of likely invasion. If you played the CNT - you've seen them in every distinct open-world location or dungeon. When joining the player summon or invasion via the stone statue invasion pool - the game will put multiple summon signs down for you, not in one specific place in the game world but around many statues in worlds of many players at once. You will also be connected to summon pool of White and Blue Cipher rings (more on that below) OR start invading in all available ways at once!

In "open" non-password limited mode the game will find players of matching stats (most likely - this is TBU as summon ranges are not determined yet, nobody tested it AFAIK)

In Group Password mode it will put your summon sign in a place where players from the same Group Password opting in to summon will instantly see it.

In case of invasions - you'll immediately attack someone from the group password that meets invasion possibility criteria.

Again, Group Password does not limit you to the pool of the group password community, it only prioritizes it. When there is nobody from the community trying to summon or in conditions allowing for PvP - you'll invade a random, or get summoned by one as your sign appears in the shared world as well.

Result: NO DOWNTIME. Playing in a community but then no waiting if unable to PvP or invade a community member.

How to join the stone statue pool?

You have 2 items for that in your multiplayer item menu:

iRIVyrF.png
Small Golden Effigy - adds you to the pool as PvE summon. Makes your "friendly" (yellow) summon sign to appear randomly around the game world near statues like the one pictured above, for players at compatible level (TBU) or those of the same shared Group Password. Also puts you in the "Blue Cipher Ring" pool allowing you to spawn in worlds of invaded players using "White Cipher Ring"

jZ0ZkHo.png
Small Red Effigy - adds you to the pool as PvP summon. Makes your "duel" (red) summon sign appear randomly around the game world near statues like the one pictured above, for players at compatible level (TBU) or those of the same shared Group Password. At the same time it enables non-sign based invasion as if using Bloody Finger!!!

Next, all you need to do is use an item that allows you to see summon signs in the area (both friendly and hostile)

1vSdKKJ.png
Furlcalling Finger Remedy - a new item making you SEE summon signs left on the ground by other players, when you're near a stone statue.

2. THE OLD WAY - area-specific summoning and invading + former "covenant modes"

Aside from the explained group password and summon pool functionality, the usual FROM multiplayer summoning and invading systems are also there and all are controlled by multiplayer menu items.

Summon signs:

vSJ8HjN.png
Tarnished's Furled Finger - formerly known as "white soapstone". Leave PvE summon sign on the ground for others to see and summon you to join as an ally.

6WqKsJf.png
Duelist's Furled Finger - formerly known as "red soapstone". Leave PVP summon sign on the ground other people can use to summon you to their world for a duel.

To see both of the above tho, you'll need:

1vSdKKJ.png
Furlcalling Finger Remedy - a new item making you SEE summon signs left on the ground by other players. It's a limited item! Can be crafted.

Other, summon sign-less system items:

7DTzTOL.png
Bloody Finger - formerly known as "cracked red eye orb". Use to invade unsuspecting payers in the area who have summoned a PvE collaborator OR have used the Taunter's Tongue.

uJfdAJ9.png
Taunter's Tongue - formerly known as the "dried finger"!
Beckons Bloody Fingers to come to invade your world. This allows you to be invaded even without a Furled Finger cooperator present and reduces the amount of time before re-invasion is possible. It also allows for a second invader to join multiplayer.

5kneWqH.png
Finger Severer - formerly known as "black separation cristal" or "silencing blank" - send a collaborator summon back to his world OR leave the world of the summoner yourself.

Xwr3vLg.png
White Cipher Ring - formerly known as "Way of Blue" covenant in DS3. Summons a collaborator whenever you are invaded by Bloody Finger for rescue.

Vc3ENdQ.png
Blue Cipher Ring - formerly known as "Blue Sentinels" covenant in DS3. Get summoned to help to a White Cipher Ring summoner to fend off a Bloody Finger.

This thread was made to probe the idea, whether that even makes sense... 20+ people starting the game more or less simultaneously per platform is more than enough for a great community gaming experience.

To be updated with any new info on multiplayer that is sure to arrive when the game drops and we unpack how covenants will once again change things up, likely at least as much as in previous games.

Hope to see you there on the 25th of Feb, kick your ass in PvP clip it and post it in this thread! BTW I suck at PvP you you have a bigger chance of doing the same.

Praise the sun.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I probably gonna play solo and coop only to help people and upgrade my chara.

Not sure if i'm gonna be there at launch, horizon 2 has a close release date and usually sony games are more optimized than from games at launch so waiting for some patches may be a good idea.

There is no way i can play both games at the same time, they both deserve full attention.

But who knows, i'm pretty weak when it comes to hyped games.

Bartski

Gold Member
I probably gonna play solo and coop only to help people and upgrade my chara.

Not sure if i'm gonna be there at launch, horizon 2 has a close release date and usually sony games are more optimized than from games at launch so waiting for some patches may be a good idea.

There is no way i can play both games at the same time, they both deserve full attention.

But who knows, i'm pretty weak when it comes to hyped games.
I hear you. I have over 3 weeks off and plan to binge Horizon 2 hard in the first week to beat it until the 25th. See you on the party sometime!

GymWolf

I hear you. I have over 3 weeks off and plan to binge Horizon 2 hard in the first week to beat it until the 25th. See you on the party sometime!
3 weeks? Well then i can probably be there for ER day one, i thought they were far closer...

GymWolf

Yeah, after all you did buy Biomutant...

Just kidding Wolfie 💗

Bartski Bartski Cool thread. I'm probably going solo due to my general distrust and anxiety around strangers but who knows!
And i had fun with it for 30 hours, who gives a fuck what journalist thinks, i had far less fun with supposedly good games like valhalla or fc6...

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
And i had fun with it for 30 hours, who gives a fuck what journalist thinks, i had far less fun with supposedly good games like valhalla or fc6...

I agree brother. It was a cheap joke <3 I bought Generation Zero so....

Bartski

Gold Member
btw there are many ways PvP can happen apparently, the widely argued 2vs1 mode seems to be just the "basic" one but there are items that open you for 1v1 invasions, stuff that works like the "dried finger" perhaps? I'm not watching any more previews but I'm sure this was explained somewhere already.

Exoil

I agree brother. It was a cheap joke <3 I bought Generation Zero so....
"Absolutely shit idea, why in the world would I want to play with any of this lot?" was my first thought when I cast my vote. Then I saw
I don't mind joining, I do not want PvP - I will allow you to follow me in a procession and assist trash mob killing though.

And had to change my vote! I'm getting it day one and I'm only going to PvP Cormack! heartemoji

Lux R7

I think i'll solo my first run but for my second run i'm gonna be there for sure (or if i change my mind about the first run, we'll see)
still voted on launch, pc

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
wow I was hoping there will be more of us in the CNT tomorrow.

200.gif

I plan to begin connecting from the 3rd session onwards maybe? hope to see you there!

Bragr

Banned
Considered cheating by who exactly?
Well, by people who care about completing games. I don't care, but you know, are you willing to use cheat codes to play through games or not. Some might view it as not really completing the game.

Kssio_Aug

Well, by people who care about completing games. I don't care, but you know, are you willing to use cheat codes to play through games or not. Some might view it as not really completing the game.
I don't see how playing cooperatively is detrimental to completing the game. As far as I know, From Software allows co-op from the get-go, and don't even lock achievements for single player. Is up to each one play the way they enjoy the most, and no, that's not cheating. To each their own, it's silly to look down on other players just because they don't put fictional barriers in their progress to impress others.

Kuranghi

Will be my first souls game so even though I play everything solo I'll probably come crying to this thread when I can't do something myself.

"Dagon is too hard for me guise, gib shiny-blueman help plz!"

Can't wait to make friends with the massive pot guy, he's where I'll be keeping the amount of weed I need to get into the zen mode and actually play the game without complaining.

Kuranghi

Just checked the poll now, I feel really sad for people who won't play this due to "copy-pasted" animations. I get why people would say it makes it feel less unique but with japanese devs I don't mind it, since their design methodology seems to me to be completely different from the west (big difference: they waste spend way less money on the total development budget).

If those few animations are the exact same but that means we get a new feature, boss, or other content not left on the cutting room floor due to time then obviously its a good tradeoff. Its just so massively offset by how amazing the new work is imo, I mean look at those boss animations, stunning work from FS, as ever.

Also the poll reminded me how horny I am, I wish I could "get into the CNT" without having to subject myself to awful "dating" app communication (or lack there of haha). Some sort of winter-based horniness has struck me, I swear a woman in yoga pants was following me around the shop earlier and bending over at every opportunity just to taunt me. I hope Elden Ring has a yoga pants analogue.

Kuranghi

I don't even know how to play games online with friends on PS, so you might have to put up with me asking stupid questions when the time comes.

Just saw that "try fingers but hole" post :messenger_tears_of_joy: and had to post another reply saying I'm going to be extremely childish with that stuff and I can't wait.

The exploration looks so good in this, super excited about that.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'll be playing through with online enabled and with or without co-op (or maybe 2 characters at the start) depending on if my friend gets at launch.

Either way I'll be here to share some stories, moments, and maybe a few tips.

Bragr

Banned
I don't see how playing cooperatively is detrimental to completing the game. As far as I know, From Software allows co-op from the get-go, and don't even lock achievements for single player. Is up to each one play the way they enjoy the most, and no, that's not cheating. To each their own, it's silly to look down on other players just because they don't put fictional barriers in their progress to impress others.
I don't disagree, people can do what they want, but completing Bloodborne with summons and without summons, is 2 different things. Do you want to use the crutches or not is the question, but of course, it only matters what the individual that plays thinks.

EruditeHobo

Game looks incredible. I'm not even a FROM gamer, but this has me wanting to take the leap.

I don't disagree, people can do what they want, but completing Bloodborne with summons and without summons, is 2 different things. Do you want to use the crutches or not is the question, but of course, it only matters what the individual that plays thinks.

You've compared un-gated gameplay elements included by the devs to "cheat codes" and "crutches"? You're the one begging the question, so the question is do you care?

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Game looks incredible. I'm not even a FROM gamer, but this has me wanting to take the leap.

You've compared un-gated gameplay elements included by the devs to "cheat codes" and "crutches"? You're the one begging the question, so the question is do you care?
Cheat codes are un-gated in many games too.

Using summons is like lowering the difficulty at the bosses so you can get past them faster. It's a handicap. It is what it is, but few From Software fans would use such things, at least on the first playthrough, it feels like you aren't really completing the game.

EruditeHobo

A gameplay feature which isn't even usable all the time vs the nebulous term, "cheat codes"... which could mean anything from, what, unlimited ammo, invulnerability? This is a poor comparison, as far as I can tell.

But I'm not a from gamer so what do I know.

Kssio_Aug

Cheat codes are un-gated in many games too.

Using summons is like lowering the difficulty at the bosses so you can get past them faster. It's a handicap. It is what it is, but few From Software fans would use such things, at least on the first playthrough, it feels like you aren't really completing the game.
I think you're assuming too much. I hardly believe the vocal players on forums that love to brag about how they finished the game entirely solo are the majority of From Software's players, hence why From Software has even streamlined the co-op aspects of the game over the course of time. And just so you know, I finished Dark Souls 1, 2 and Bloodborne solo, and Serkiro. But I finished Dark Souls 3 playing tons of co-op from start and had a blast with it - and it's definitely the way I plan to play Elden Ring too. I'm just saying that you're talking like an elitist, and that's not a compliment.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I think you're assuming too much. I hardly believe the vocal players on forums that loves to brag about how they finished the game entirely solo are the majority of From Software's players, hence why From Software has even streamlined the co-op aspects of the game over the course of time. And just so you know, I finished Dark Souls 1, 2, Bloodborne solo, and Serkiro. But I finished Dark Souls 3 playing tons of co-op from start and had a blast with it - and it's definitely the way I plan to play Elden Ring too. I'm just saying that you're talking like an elitist, and that's not a compliment.
At least we can agree that I am elite.

Bartski

Gold Member
I added a full item rundown for all MP modes in the OP. Not all as I don't fully get the "pool" but I'll be testing today. On session 4 (starting in in one hour) I'll be 100% the beta and probably just demolishing mobs with all the spells I acquired by the end of the last one, but for the final session (4 a.m. CET) I'm starting from scratch as a new character and I'll be playing with "eldengaf" set as network password all the way.

Feel free to join for some fun boss steamrolling!

Bartski

Gold Member
I have totally reworked the OP explaining the network mechanics uncovered in the Network Test, especially the Group Password function that is the mode made exactly for community-based shared world MP.

Together with the summon pool via stone statue and effigies it's a huge improvement over previous games and ensures among 20+ people who signed up for Playstation we'll be seeing each other A LOT.

I'll bump this thread once again as we get a bit closer to see where we're at.

Bartski

Gold Member
BUMP!

TLDR: let's all pay under a common GROUP PASSWORD so we can easily find each other online!

More info in the OP.

All multiplayer mechanics, items etc. explained as they worked in the Closed Network Test. Some things likely have changed in the final release, I'll update OP accordingly but those who have played the game already might chime in as well.

Bartski

Gold Member
My hype for this game has now officially exceeded my all-time peak hype benchmark of GTAIV release.

I can't focus on anything life-related anymore.

I'm ready. I think my girlfriend just dumped me. That's ok.

It'll be hard to get a hold of 'till mid-March anyway.

PRAISE THE SUN

arvfab

Banned
While I will get this on launch day, I won't play it until after I beat Horizon: FW. I will also play it offline, like all of the other Souls games. Still feel burned by a "Treasure ahead" fake message in the original Demon's Souls, which led me to be gang banged by a group of enemies 😒

Last edited:
Top Bottom