• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electronic Arts establishes new studio Full Circle to develop new Skate title

Astorian

Electronic Arts has announced the establishment of Full Circle, a new studio created to develop the new Skate title first announced in June 2020.
Full Circle general manager Daniel McCulloch confirmed that Skate‘s core creative leads Deran Chung and Cuz Parry have returned to work on the game as key designers.

“The fans wished Skate back into existence, and we want them to feel involved in the process from development to game launch and beyond,” McCulloch said. “We want them to feel like they are a part of Full Circle.”

Larxia

I wonder if it will be exactly like the previous Skate games (but with some improvements), or if they'll also take some inspiration from what Session has done so far.
Don't get me wrong, Session is early access and still extremely rough, but the mechanics it brought to the genre are really good. Playing with a stick for each specific leg, and more importantly the manual catch system, were great additions. The manual catch is a huge game changer, you can't just randomly move the stick in any direction and have the game nailing perfect random tricks, here you have to actually know what you're going to try to do, you have to actually play with the physics of the board, make it spin or flip in a direction and then catch it when it comes back to nail a trick, it really feels like playing with some fingerboard, it adds a whole dimension to the game and it's really cool.

Excited to see all the microtransactions!

adorable whale GIF

TheMan

Good to hear. Glad they have some competition in the space too, that will hopefully push them to innovate.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've never seen the appeal of sim-style skateboarding games, but there's obviously a market for it.

Meanwhile, I've been replaying some Tony Hawk games recently (not 1+2, older ones) and having a great time with them.
it really feels like playing with some fingerboard
That one statement did more to put me off Skate than anything else ever could.

Larxia

I've never seen the appeal of sim-style skateboarding games, but there's obviously a market for it.

Meanwhile, I've been replaying some Tony Hawk games recently (not 1+2, older ones) and having a great time with them.

That one statement did more to put me off Skate than anything else ever could.
I'm not really sure what you mean. I love Tony Hawk too, way more than simulations, Tony Hawk is one of my favorite series ever and I even do active modding on Thug Pro (pc online mod for underground).

Skate isn't like what I said about session, everything is automated in Skate, but that's actually my point, if I were to play something not arcade but more realistic / simulation instead, I might as well take the one with more depth and physics play, because Skate doesn't have any challenge or point really, it's just for free roaming and relaxing.

I prefer arcade with crazy combos and lot of room for skill improvement, but if I play a "simulation", Session is a more interesting proposition for me, because there is some kind of challenge, nailing tricks feels rewarding , while it doesn't in Skate, so it leads to experimentations being more fun, because you actually try things with the world and the physics, and see how it works out, rather than starting pre calculated lines.

NinjaBoiX

I'm not really sure what you mean. I love Tony Hawk too, way more than simulations, Tony Hawk is one of my favorite series ever and I even do active modding on Thug Pro (pc online mod for underground).

Skate isn't like what I said about session, everything is automated in Skate, but that's actually my point, if I were to play something not arcade but more realistic / simulation instead, I might as well take the one with more depth and physics play, because Skate doesn't have any challenge or point really, it's just for free roaming and relaxing.

I prefer arcade with crazy combos and lot of room for skill improvement, but if I play a "simulation", Session is a more interesting proposition for me, because there is some kind of challenge, nailing tricks feels rewarding , while it doesn't in Skate, so it leads to experimentations being more fun, because you actually try things with the world and the physics, and see how it works out, rather than starting pre calculated lines.
You actually played skate right?

“Everything is automated”

“Pre-calculated lines”

What are you talking about? That’s not true at all.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Oh hell yeah, Skate is a dope ass game. It's a shame the series has been stagnant for so long. Skate 3 is probably one of the best 360 titles I played in all honesty. Very different from Tony Hawk's games, but I liked that.

Larxia

You actually played skate right?

“Everything is automated”

“Pre-calculated lines”

What are you talking about? That’s not true at all.
I don't want to derail this thread into a Session thread, I only first mentionned it because I was curious and they would do some similar stuff, maybe optional. But did you try Session? I did play all Skate games, and I don't hate them or anything, they're fine, but all the tricks are indeed premade, you move the stick and it triggers a specific trick, I guess it's maybe hard to understand what I mean if we didn't try that manual catch system, but the feeling is very different, you don't just trigger a trick, you actually play with the physics of the board in real time to try to land tricks (and you can easily fail), it's different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom