• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electronic Arts Strikes Three-Game Deal With Marvel (First game is Iron Man)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The swinging is of course a big bonus spider-man has, but it bothered me that it felt so... assisted / automated. It really looks gorgeous for sure, they did an amazing job with the animation, but the fact that there's no risk at all, that it will always work out perfectly, makes it feel less rewarding, there's not as much sensation as there could be.
This video here is pretty good about this subject

One of the things that bother me the most is also that you can clearly feel / see that Spider-Man starts to move / swing, before the web actually attached to anything.
I actually recorded a little clip about this when playing the game on PC, to show a friend :

You can clearly see that spider-man will starts getting speed without any actual swinging / physical interaction from the web, you can even let go the trigger before shooting the web, to cancel it, and see the acceleration being there anyway.
These things made the web swinging in this game more "boring" for me. It's still really fun, don't get me wrong, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it allowed for a more manual / physical simulation mode, where you could experience things by yourself, try to see what's possible or not, and have the web swinging always feeling new because you're actually doing stuff on your own, cosntantly experimenting with it, instead of following a script.

I do agree that the swinging is a bit too automated and "assisted", you never have quite as much manual control as you did in SM2. And I don't like that you can't hold on to a web for as long as you want (Spidey automatically lets go of it). But once you get over that and play the game the way it wants to be played, it looks and feels so great. The "flow" you can achieve in that game by combining swinging, zipping and jumping off zip points, is just absolutely awesome, in a way the more physically accurate swinging in SM2 could never really live up to.

The swing starting before the web has actually attached to anything bothered me when I first saw it before the game released, but I think overall it's probably for the better since it makes the swinging more responsive. If it weren't like that, there would be a delay before you started swinging every time, which while more realistic probably wouldn't have felt as good. Or, alternatively, they would have had to make the webs attach instantly instead of visibly travelling out from his hand, which would have looked worse.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Given how long they had exclusive license with that IP, and all the directions that IP could go, I’d call that at abysmal output with viable quality.
Exactly how many games were you expecting to be released in the time frame EA had exclusivity?
Also consider the Red Tape surrounding the Star Wars IP.
Titles produced right now arent Legends continuity, they are main continuity, which means studios basically have to heavily back and forth with Disney to allow anything to happen in them. (which is part of the reason we are seeing titles get cancelled left and right)
That and games cant exactly be pumped out all that quickly while also meeting the required quality standard.

Sure Insomniac are seemingly such an efficient studio they can make these games quickly, but make no mistake they are an outlier.

EA got the license in 2013.
The Legends line started in 2014, but Disney wanted everything going forward to be main continuity.

2015 - Battlefront - Literally rushed out to tie in with The Force Awakens.
2017 - Battlefront 2 - First non-Legends Star War game.
2019 - Jedi Fallen Order
2020 - Squadrons.
2021 - EA loses exclusivity but Fallen Order 2 (Jedi Survivor announced)

How many more games were you actually expecting them to make?
If EA basically got all their studios to all hands on deck on doing nothing by Star Wars maybe you'd see a game maybe even 2 every year and then we could bitch about having too much Star Wars, but their output since Battlefront pretty much follows what would be expected of a studio/studios handling a license as strict as Star Wars.

Last edited:

Strider311

I mean… I’m a Marvel, DC and comic book action game fan in general, so I’m cautiously optimistic. They could make something pretty cool with a big budget behind it.

If Iron Man is the first, and we already have Cap/Black Panther, Wolverine and Spider-man 2 coming… what characters do you speculate EA picks for their other 2 games?

CamHostage

Anyway, about the EA news, I will wait and see, it might not be the best, but it's still better than Ubisoft for example, because at least with EA we don't exactly know what type of game we'll get, while with ubisoft I'd already feel like I finished these games already before they are even announced.

It's not an exclusive deal, so that's fine by me. If the games are good, that'd be nice; if they're not, I'm in no need of more superhero games. Many things went wrong with the EA / Star Wars deal, which if Star Wars was a big brand then that was a huge boondoggle for you, but this just ties up some Marvel characters or lines, it still keeps options open while putting three new big titles in development and we'll see if they turn out well.

Personally, I'd like to see EA return to its strengths. They get a ton of shit, fairly deservedly (and they seem to have cut all the cool stuff that people actually liked them for, outside of the annual sports brands,) but they had a heyday that and there's not many major publishers left out there who can do big new games like these Marvel projects might be.

How many more games were you actually expecting them to make?
If EA basically got all their studios to all hands on deck on doing nothing by Star Wars maybe you'd see a game maybe even 2 every year and then we could bitch about having too much Star Wars, but their output since Battlefront pretty much follows what would be expected of a studio/studios handling a license as strict as Star Wars.

I don't personally think the Star Wars deal has gone very well for how long it has been (I imagine even EA laments how much trouble they've had with this brand that seemingly should have printed money,) but I also remember some of the garbage or just average dreck LucasArts produced and don't see the alternative as having been better. Like how there's this narrative that Lucas should never have sold LucasFilm to Disney and that he should have made the Sequel Trilogy... did we not just have 20 years of people griping how George Lucas raped their childhood with the Special Editions and ruined Star Wars with Jar Jar?

Plus, it is funny with certain brands that people complain both that the quality is bad and the quantity is not enough. "Sir, this food tastes like dogshit, also you've hardly served enough of this dogshit to fill me up!"

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Glad I don't give two fucks about superhero shit these days. EA got me with the NFL and Star Wars, but they're lttp on this one. At least in my case.

JonSnowball

Alternate title: "Greedy company ran by pack of retards makes another deal with greedy company ran by pack of retards, citing success of Star Wars: Battlefront II as inspiration"

Larxia

Great, more superhero games…can’t wait 🤥
I don't understand this comment. I could get it for movies maybe, even if I don't really see a problem there either, but in video games? Super hero video games are so rare, there are barely any of them these days.

What did we get in the last few years? Spider-man PS4, Marvel's Avengers, I guess guardians of the galaxy although I wouldn't really call it super hero but just marvel, gotham knights, and... that's it? If we go further back we have infamous second son, Batman Arkham Knight, what else? And that's going back almost 10 years.
Maybe more if you start including not really super hero games but games with fun powers like Gravity Rush? But that's still super rare and niche.

I would love for more super hero games, especially if they bring fun traversal gameplay, I'm not sure where you see so many of them.

Given that Insomniac is doing Wolverine, I'd hazard to guess that EA won't be doing X-Men. We also know that Skydance is doing Captain America/Black Panther

That means:
Iron Man
Thor
Hulk

And that if they are successful, they'll get a shot at the Avengers.

Edit:

Motive is making Iron Man which was going to be my guess anyways.
Thor will probably be made by Respawn

And I was going to guess a Bioware game but I don't see them as suited for the Hulk. That could end up with Dice.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Doesn't matter if the game has a good gameplay or good ideas at all. I think Anthem clearly showed people that.
Not saying this Iron man will be a crap game. But they could delivered the best, upgraded version of Iron Man gameplay from Anthem and it wouldn't matter if they repeat the same mistakes and stupid cancerous mechanics on it. People better be praying for this game to not end up the same.

Even if some things are being borrowed from Anthem, they are billing Iron Man as a single player first experience (at least from what I'm reading here). That is going to change some things out of the gate.

Always interesting to get a new superhero game. These always win or lose based on how well they capture the essence of the hero and how they cater to trying to bring the abilities of the hero to life.

Last edited:

Larxia

I mean… I’m a Marvel, DC and comic book action game fan in general, so I’m cautiously optimistic. They could make something pretty cool with a big budget behind it.

If Iron Man is the first, and we already have Cap/Black Panther, Wolverine and Spider-man 2 coming… what characters do you speculate EA picks for their other 2 games?
I would LOVE a X-Men game. Like Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami just said, it's quite unlikely with Wolverine already being a thing, but oh man I wish...
I'm quite tired of Wolverine always being the face of X-Men when he's just supposed to be someone among a team. If I could have a game with a vibe similar to the animated series, with all these characters being playable, it would be a dream.

More risky but they could also do a thing where you're a new student in the school and you decide on your powers, can explore the school etc, but while it sounds cool on paper I feel like this could quickly turn into a service thing so maybe not.

A good action game where I can play as Rogue, Gambit, Cyclope, Storm, etc would be really cool (Wolverine could be there too of course, just not only him). Yo imagine if you can play nightcrawler and have a super dynamic combat gameplay where you can warp everywhere, shoo shoo shoo bam :messenger_smiling_hearts:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
The article blurb says Single-Player action-adventure; and Jedi Fallen Order was good, so i have a very slim hope for this; but i won't be surprised if it still somehow turns out to be a MTX-filled live-service crap like the Square Enix Avengers game.

I just don't understand why Disney can't see past big floundering corps like EA and Square to give their games to. Imagine giving an Iron Man game to an indie studio. That' how Insomniac rose to fame. or how IOI got the next Bond game. Or how Creative Assembly made the excellent Alien: Isolation

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Ok three game deal doesn't mean exclusivity like they did with Star Wars.
I was worried this would mean the end of Spiderman, Wolverine and Guardians sequels.

I still don't see how Disney sees EA as a trustworthy partner though. How many Star Wars did they manage to release during their 6 or 7 year-long exclusivity deal? There's the battlefront screw-ups, Fallen Order and..?

Top Bottom