• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey cancelled for consoles

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

It’s no secret that Odyssey’s launch was less than ideal, including the need to split the PC/console player base to focus on a PC-only launch. Since Odyssey’s release in May 2021, we have worked tirelessly to improve the Odyssey experience on PC, and whilst we have made great progress there is still more to be done. We have been supporting the pre-Odyssey and post-Odyssey codebases since.

Over the last several months, we have been wrestling with the best way to move forward, and it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development. We need to be able to move forward with the story of the game, and in order for us to do this we need to focus on a single codebase. Elite Dangerous will continue on console as it is now together with critical updates, but we will focus on new content updates on PC on the post-Odyssey codebase.

Sucks because this game is really good. You really have to give it up to Hello Games too. No Man’s Sky is massive and gets content all the time across a ton of platforms and they are a way smaller team.

HTK

Banned
I always wanted to jump in but felt the experience just wasn't up to snuff on console. I guess now it'll never happen.

RAIDEN1

This on Gamepass I could never really get into.....I was hoping more of an experience like Wing Commander....thats why I am more likely get into the sequel of Rebel Galaxy than Elite, as it has more of a "pick up and play" feel than Elite ever did....

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So the game work never be finished. Shitty move, but I suppose the console player base is rather small. Them acting the it's completely different code is disingenuous though.

Sucks, this game I had on the back burner specifically for this update. Will forever be on the back burner now. I am hoping it influences starfield alot with the open "world?" mechanics in space. Have real time space flight with a light speed mechanic, and then have the typical bethesda space open world on planets, meteors etc. Game is a great game with a vision too far big for the team on it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The problem with Elite Dangerous is that it wanted to be Star Citizen without actually spending years and resources creating the tech that is required to be Star Citizen.

Some will see it as positive, some as negative.
Someone get them Kickstarter whaling ships, STAT!

At least one can hang their hat on a shelf as a packaged and shipped gold code.

zeorhymer

Played quite a bit of it. Kinda lost me after realizing all I was doing was mining the same thing for hours on end. Once you get the last class of ships, there's nothing really to work towards. I was never good at the space combat and being a bus driver didn't thrill me either.

ckaneo

The problem with Elite Dangerous is that it wanted to be Star Citizen without actually spending years and resources creating the tech that is required to be Star Citizen.

At least they are honest and upfront. Star Citizen has been canceling shit for years but refuses to tell us.

Or they lied about all the story stuff they made, but ill give them the benefit of the doubt that they are remaking stuff

night13x

They did what cyberpunk should of done - realized a platform was majorly holding them back so they cut it for the overall wellness of the game and IP. It sucks, but sometimes it comes down to the lesser evil to find success.

Reactions: GHG

Modrot

I knew this was coming so I never bought it on consoles.

Space sims quickly outgrow their platforms, pc never stops growing but consoles do.

iHaunter

ED kinda sucks. It's just hauling shit, the mining aspect is super basic. It coudn't hold my attention. You can do so so much in Star Citizen at the moment, but it's janky and unstable.

Kinda lose lose scenario.

Sad Pauly D GIF by A Double Shot At Love With DJ Pauly D and Vinny

I honestly saw this coming. Just to get the expansion out they halted all major updates for years, removed features like the Galnet articles and the public events, and despite moving all of their focus to the expansion and removing VR support to do it, the expansion still came out waaaaay undercooked and still hasn’t been properly fixed. I can’t see them keeping the game going even just focusing on PC at this point, they just don’t seem to have the staff to do it anymore.

AllBizness

Banned
Consoles dont have very many good space games even mobile has much better offerings. I'm currently playing Eve Echoes and nothing on console comes close and not just from a space combat and exploration point of view but the deep sim and RPGs mechanics are unmatched on consoles period. In any genre.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Well it IS like Star Citizen------not coming out!!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

Elite has been a thing since 1984, so that's not really fair. There would be no Star Citizen without Elite for a fact.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Elite has been a thing since 1984, so that's not really fair. There would be no Star Citizen without Elite for a fact.

Elite has been a thing since 1984, but not *this* Elite. Elite Dangerous tried to increase the scope pretty massively compared to what the original Elite games were, and did so without the technological backbone, which culminated with the Odyssey disaster, but the writing was on the wall much earlier.

Last edited:
Well then just buy on PC? Problem solved

It wouldn’t be a problem if it wasn’t for the fact you can’t transfer your account over to PC other than just your credits. And if you ever did the hundreds and hundreds of hours of mat grinding for engineering your ships, or for the rep grinding, or for grinding Elite ranks, or the literal months and months of play needed to get the gear from each powerplay faction, the idea of simply starting over from scratch with just your credits is completely laughable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom