• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people kit Cobras out for exploration. Usually because they don't have the cash for something more suited but it can get 25+ ly, which is enough for exploring. Maybe not something you would use to get the galactic core.

Jedi2016

Larger ships help because you can carry the extra stuff you need, like a big fuel scoop, auto field maintenance units, and, starting tomorrow, an SRV or two.

void666

Banned
I think the Horizons client isn't available, yet? Could it be that you're downloading the base game again or the Horizons beta client?

At my account/downloads it says: Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Pre-order - PC Download

But it seems to be the same old client. Nothing new.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hmm. What's the fastest exploration ship in normal flight?

The Cobra III is the fastest normal-speed ship you can kit out for serious deep space exploration, but it's jump range isn't ideal (acceptable, but not ideal). The Type 6 is a bit slower but can be outfitted better, but the Asp only a tad slower than the T6 but can be outfitted the best and has a fantastic jump range.

Staab

I made out like a bandit (for a new player :p) hunting in Hi-RES over the week-end, racking in bounties.
So as it stands I'm at 2M credits now and looking at upgrading from my Adder to something a bit more serious.

Keeping in mind I want to be able to store 1 SRV and enough cargo to have some fun,
what would you guys suggest if I intend to mostly do some exploration with combat on the side ?

Burny

I made out like a bandit (for a new player :p) hunting in Hi-RES over the week-end, racking in bounties.
So as it stands I'm at 2M credits now and looking at upgrading from my Adder to something a bit more serious.

Keeping in mind I want to be able to store 1 SRV and enough cargo to have some fun,
what would you guys suggest if I intend to mostly do some exploration with combat on the side ?

Cobra, probably.

Sometimes it's really hair raising, how poorly thought out the missions in the game are. Go find something on the surface and bring it back. That translates to (Beta 6): Fly from A to B, enter orbit, start cruising around until your ship scanner shows you that something might be on the surface. Land, deploy the SRV and drive around until you find it. Meaning it spawns when you're in the SRV, not necessarily when you're in the ship. If it's not what you were looking for: rinse and repeat.

You finally found what you were send out to find, haul it back and get 80k credits. 1,5 hours have just gone by, with nothing more than you looking for randomly generated stuff.

Meanwhile during high RES hunting: You just spend an hour, racking up 2Mio. credits in bounties. But this doesn't let you advance in military ranks. No, you have to do missions for that. :p

Mengy

So here is the Steam answer:

@brvandewalle For Horizons you will need to use our launcher, not Steam for now. Steam release will be later.
- CMDR Falcon

Direct from Frontier Help, so no Steam keys today from the sound of it, you will have to update (and probably play) directly from the launcher itself.

They don't expect us to be able to update our games until 16:00 GMT today, so that's what 11:00 AM EST? Damn I'll be at work, I wish I could set my launcher to update while I'm away. With my slow ass ISP I probably won't be able to play much tonight at all since I don't get home until 5 PM. :(

DrBo42

Damn, that's Wednesday for me. Might mine Braben's AMA for new info in the meantime.

Are there any concrete ideas about multicrew? Like different roles etc. I can't imagine what a second pilot could do good in a ship yet.

DavidBrabenCEO & Founder 12 points an hour ago
It is different roles. Each player can act in a different role, and swap these roles.
There will be more information coming in the livestream starting at 12 noon GMT today.

One big question - are there any plans to let players mine planets? It would bring a whole new set of equipment to the game: seismic scanners, mining vehicles, have your mates help patrol the area, buy sentries etc...

DavidBrabenCEO & Founder 11 points 58 minutes ago
There will be more things for players to do on the surface.
It is one of the areas we are looking at now.

Any details/thoughts on the planned crafting system?

DavidBrabenCEO & Founder 9 points an hour ago
Sandy will be on the livestream starting midday today, and he will talk some more about this. I think he is on around 15:30-16:00 GMT.

Livestream in 5 minutes?

JambiBum

Something from the AMA that Braben did before the stream in regards to type of content and updates in season 2.

It will be a similar pattern, though there will be fewer ships this year, which will be more gameplay-focussed.

Wreav

Banned
They don't expect us to be able to update our games until 16:00 GMT today, so that's what 11:00 AM EST? Damn I'll be at work, I wish I could set my launcher to update while I'm away. With my slow ass ISP I probably won't be able to play much tonight at all since I don't get home until 5 PM. :(
Install TeamViewer on PC and phone, problem solved.

It doesn't apply it until the very last page of checkout so he probably just didn't go far enough into the purchase.

Ok a friend of mine hasn't purchased yet but was counting on that.

Did they ever say why the moon wasn't landable? I was hoping that it wasn't landable during the beta because they didn't want to reveal the handcrafted moon until launch day.

Carroway

Ok a friend of mine hasn't purchased yet but was counting on that.

Did they ever say why the moon wasn't landable? I was hoping that it wasn't landable during the beta because they didn't want to reveal the handcrafted moon until launch day.

Probably because the moon, like Mars, has more settlements and and rather large cities compared to the small outposts on some of the other planets.

Yeah, that's one reason I was hoping it was going to be a special reveal. Mars has been terraformed but the Moon should still not have an atmosphere, just a lot of large settlements.

Mengy

I remember one of the devs saying that Earth's moon would be landable later in Season 2. They are taking time to model it as accurately as they can, it won't be procedural but instead hand modeled in detail.

Meanwhile during high RES hunting: You just spend an hour, racking up 2Mio. credits in bounties. But this doesn't let you advance in military ranks. No, you have to do missions for that. :p

I can kind of see it. Bounty hunting isn't always 100% legal, and you're just out there for the money regardless of who has a bounty on the target. Ranking would be more closely aligned to missions since it shows that they can count on you to perform when they have an actual need.

Doubly so if they know you could be out bounty hunting bringing in more money than their piddly government work.

At least that's the theory I propose to cover for Frontier having a janky system. ;)

Kiyoshi

Is there a new 64-bit launcher to look out for? Or does the 64-bit version of the game just show in the launcher when the servers are live?

I've deleted my Steam files and downloaded the launcher from the server just now; but wasn't sure if there was something else to do in preparation.

Staab

Is there a new 64-bit launcher to look out for? Or does the 64-bit version of the game just show in the launcher when the servers are live?

I've deleted my Steam files and downloaded the launcher from the server just now; but wasn't sure if there was something else to do in preparation.

Apparently there is, they said on the livestream that you should download the new launcher to see the new client when it's live(link from their YouTube stream description).
It says DX11 Installer now, but there's no option to download anything else for now.

edit: fixed link

Mengy

So the trick from running the launcher in the install folder of steam doesn't work anymore?

Yes, it is supposed to still work. Steam users will just have to run the launcher from the directory later today to update to Horizons, it won't automatically update from Steam itself until we get the Steam keys for Horizon itself. So Steam users will have to launch the game and launcher from the directory for a few days most likely, but you shouldn't have to delete your Steam installation nor install a fresh parallel non-Steam version or anything like that.

In reality the Steam version is the standalone version exactly, but with a link to the Steam registry added in. Other than that link the two versions are identical. Steam just opens the launcher anyway, so in in the end the Steam users are just adding one step to starting the game that the non-Steam users skip over.

Oh fuck, an AMA/livestream is happening right now.

First details on Multi-crew:

Max 4 per ship, limited by seats
4 roles: Helm (piloting), Fire control (turrets/weapons), Countermeasures (shields, tactical), Engineering (sensors, navigation, repairs)
Will be balanced so 4 people in a ship is on par with 4 people in a wing
Uses wing system (still can't have more than 4 in wing)
Can "hotswap" between roles (even solo players!)
Uses SRV-style "neural link" or UI interface

Reddit is thinking this

8zISXkP.png

Is something Thargoid. From the launch trailer.

Serrato

Wow that Multi-Crew system will probably push the depth of space battles beyound what we know right now. Sensors? Navigation? Shields? Repair? Damn I wanna see that.

I don't need any help doing any of those things. Those features will have to be significantly enhanced somehow in order to justify splitting those activities among players. Manning the turrets sure, that sounds fine as something to do. But manning shields and counter-measures? As if those have some depth to them beyond firing a SCB or pressing a button to deploy them?

Will wait for more details.

Mengy

Wow that Multi-Crew system will probably push the depth of space battles beyound what we know right now. Sensors? Navigation? Shields? Repair? Damn I wanna see that.

For me personally, the multi crew stuff doesn't interest me at all and won't add anything major to the game for me, kind of like Power Play and CQC didn't really do anything for me. If they were adding AI crew members then sure it might be useful to me, but as a deep space explorer the multi crew stuff doesn't seem useful for anything other than more pew pew pew.

I wish we'd get an exploration focused patch. Oh well, maybe someday. Planet landings will keep me plenty busy anyway!

Serrato

That,s the thing, if they enhance a Ship systems so that a Multi-Crewed ship can ''be balanced'' as 4 ships at once (which I doubt) but more in that it's way more efficient than before, I would take it.

Who knows, maybe they are overhauling all that aspect.

Edit : Since they said that this season will be more about gameplay that simple ''more'', I do expect that we will get more depth this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom