• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ella Freya (RE4R Ashley Face Model) finally buys her game

Status
Not open for further replies.
xuriH4g.jpg
fHz7sdD.jpg

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Why wouldn't she talk and embrace Japanese culture, she probably likes it as well.
Lol bruv 'engrish' is not japanese culture, it's literally not being able to pronounce English words "correctly" because of a difference in alphabet; japanese tend to be hesitant speaking English because they get embarrassed they might not get it right, yet here we have this maximum weeb saying "ashuree" instead of ashley; bitch you speak English, you know how to pronounce her name.

Lol bruv 'engrish' is not japanese culture, it's literally not being able to pronounce English words "correctly" because of a difference in alphabet; japanese tend to be hesitant speaking English because they get embarrassed they might not get it right, yet here we have this maximum weeb saying "ashuree" instead of ashley; bitch you speak English, you know how to pronounce her name.
mmm. i think "engrish" (not just pronunciation) is japanese culture. I have seen several videos of people hunting funny "engrish".

and there is a weird culture around learning english.

as well as their made up english words they use.

killatopak

Japanese people won’t understand you if you use normal english. It’s her main audience. It’s obvious who she’ll cater to first. Like there are literal Japanese words that are just borrowed English words with different pronunciation. Like if you say Jesus Christ they won’t know who you’re talking about. But ask them about Yes Kristo and they’ll know.

Last edited:

Neo_game

lol are you serious ? She is talking to her Japanese followers.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
mmm. i think "engrish" (not just pronunciation) is japanese culture.
no
Japanese people won’t understand you if you use normal english.
she's not using loanwords, it's literally a name of a person; and yes they will understand you, especially considering RE never had a japanese dub until RE revelations in 2012.
Those poor japanese people not knowing who Wesker was referring to all those times he yelled "chris" :lollipop_crying:

killatopak

no

she's not using loanwords, it's literally a name of a person; and yes they will understand you, especially considering RE never had a japanese dub until RE revelations in 2012.
Those poor japanese people not knowing who Wesker was referring to all those times he yelled "chris" :lollipop_crying:
You’re assuming her fans are RE fans. Before her stint as a face model, I don’t think there were any overlap between her audience and RE fans. You also have to understand Ashley was a character used in RE once in 2005. It’s reasonable to assume there are newcomers who have never played or heard of her before.

Emedan

no

What the fuck, do you know how languages work? Not all of them share the same sounds, if you use the "correct" pronunciation for your language it might not be recognizable to the person you communicate with (This goes for names too). Do you speak any second or third languages? (I'd assume no with such an ignorant take).

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member

you got rekt

I removed this part of my response because I thought it was self-explanatory:
"no, only when it's used ironically for comedy, which is obviously not what this girl is doing"
I'm sorry I expected you would understand that.
What the fuck, do you know how languages work? Not all of them share the same sounds, if you use the "correct" pronunciation for your language it might not be recognizable to the person you communicate with (This goes for names too). Do you speak any second or third languages? (I'd assume no with such an ignorant take).
I speak 3 languages, understand 5; pronouncing names correctly is in fact one of the most important things because people can take offense real quick if you don't.
The only thing ignorant here is actually believing japanese people wouldn't understand her saying ashley properly, and again that's not really the point, the point here she's just doing it for the sake of that trash 'cutesy' persona.

Pelao

The girl is cute and I love her mannerisms.
I also don't see any problem with how she pronounces names the same way the Japanese do, after all it's her audience. And I say that as someone who has a name that has a different pronunciation in English and in my language, and appreciates it when people pronounce it the way I do.

I removed this part of my response because I thought it was self-explanatory:
"no, only when it's used ironically for comedy, which is obviously not what this girl is doing"
I'm sorry I expected you would understand that.
i don't think you are understanding. engrishu is a thing, it doesn't matter the context; is part of their culture is something that exists there.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
i don't think you are understanding
I don't think you are understanding, 'engrish' is the direct result of a different alphabet, and yes it's used for comedy like in your video, because they are completely self aware about it.
This video timestamped explains they don't really get a lot of opportunity to practice speaking, which is why 'engrish' becomes a thing in the first place, it's not because they don't want to learn properly.

Yet we have this girl leaning into it completely with even names for her dumb persona.

I don't think you are understanding, 'engrish' is the direct result of a different alphabet, and yes it's used for comedy like in your video, because they are completely self aware about it.
This video timestamped explains they don't really get a lot of opportunity to practice speaking, which is why 'engrish' becomes a thing in the first place, it's not because they don't want to learn properly.

Yet we have this girl leaning into it completely with even names for her dumb persona.

and as i said in my first reply is not only about pronunciation. is the the use of "weird English" in products and stuff. As well as made up "english" words that are only used in Japan.

Plus the culture around teaching English in japan.

Some of you guys are platinum mad about this girl.

Someone please ask her if she wants to sit on my face. I'm too shy for that.
Are you Asian? Because IIRC she only dates Asian men and isn't really attracted to anyone else.
Netherlands, same as Stefanie Joosten that plays Quiet in MGSV. Seems like Japanese devs have a thing for Dutch girls.
Same with Gab Smolders as well who used to do some modeling in Japan as well when she lived there.

Power Pro

She is absolutely precious. I always thought big ears Ashley in the original was cute, but she was a nice redesign also.

she takes money from her 'patreons' to pretend to be japanese. It really is quite bizarre.

It has never been easier for women to make money from desperate dudes.
After looking at this entire thread and how quickly the first picture changed the course of discussion, I agree fully with your third sentence.

Good on her for finding a way to earn money from what she’s doing.

Last edited:

Power Pro

she takes money from her 'patreons' to pretend to be japanese. It really is quite bizarre.

It has never been easier for women to make money from desperate dudes.

After looking at this entire thread and how quickly the first picture changed the course of discussion, I agree fully with your third sentence.

Good on her for finding a way to earn money from what she’s doing.
I get where they're coming from though. It's kinda bothering me the more it happens...like yeah, part of me wants to say "well...good on you for finding a good source of income" but it's like...more and more women keep thinking their body is a commodity and as if we don't have problems trying to find connections or love in this world, this idea that keeps spreading that women should get paid for their affections or to be admired is just, it's another barrier being created for trying to find a connection with the opposite sex in the world.

"Oh, you wanna get to know me?? Well sign up for my patreon, and you can know all about me! *wink*"

Drizzlehell

Banned
I was about to say that it a bit weird hearing her speak Japanese with all the mannerisms.
And I don't think they'd call her Japanese even if she was born there.
They don't seem to do that with white folks anywhere ironically.
They're just white
I wonder if the Japanese natives look at this shit the same way black people look at <a white person who tries to emulate or acquire cultural behaviour and tastes attributed to black people>

Power Pro

I wonder if the Japanese natives look at this shit the same way black people look at <a white person who tries to emulate or acquire cultural behaviour and tastes attributed to black people>
There is never going to be a unified perspective on the matter, but from interviews with people on the street and stuff like that I've seen, Japanese people seem like they like it. If someone comes to Japan, and love Japanese culture and wants to experience it, they take it as a compliment. They like when people come over and wear a kimino, or try a hot spring, because it means that people must like their culture and society. So yeah, from what I've seen, it seems like some people find it flattering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom