• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ella Freya (RE4R Ashley Face Model) finally buys her game

Status
Not open for further replies.

supernova8

Banned
Spend that much time in Japan, you'll pick up the language and likely a lot of the mannerisms. She likely isn't that way IRL, at least not to that level, it's likely to keep her fan base happy... which likely eats that shit up lol
b03P9vM.jpg

(from her IG)

Yeah she is undoubtedly attractive but her over-the-top mannerisms would get annoying really quickly.

I live in Japan and (based on my experience at least) the only guys who act like that are weeb as fuck (WAF). The only girls who do it are either WAF or just doing it because guys (especially Japanese ones) are obsessed with girls looking kawaii, young, innocent etc.

It's funny if you go on her IG and scroll down all the way to the start, you'll see she's actually fairly normal but at some point decided that she would gain more fans (read: make more money) really leaning into the whole "sugoi, kawaii, thehehehe, oopsy whoopseeeeeey" type vibe.

End of the day, if you can take a bunch of pictures and people will literally pay for those pictures, you've basically figured out "the game" so fair play.

supernova8

Banned
There is never going to be a unified perspective on the matter, but from interviews with people on the street and stuff like that I've seen, Japanese people seem like they like it. If someone comes to Japan, and love Japanese culture and wants to experience it, they take it as a compliment. They like when people come over and wear a kimino, or try a hot spring, because it means that people must like their culture and society. So yeah, from what I've seen, it seems like some people find it flattering.
(speaking as someone living in Japan), I've seen countless people like this and the response from Japanese people is positive 99.9% of the time. I think the whole "cultural appropriation" thing was just made up out of nothing by people who feel the need to be permanently outraged and offended.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I get where they're coming from though. It's kinda bothering me the more it happens...like yeah, part of me wants to say "well...good on you for finding a good source of income" but it's like...more and more women keep thinking their body is a commodity and as if we don't have problems trying to find connections or love in this world, this idea that keeps spreading that women should get paid for their affections or to be admired is just, it's another barrier being created for trying to find a connection with the opposite sex in the world.

"Oh, you wanna get to know me?? Well sign up for my patreon, and you can know all about me! *wink*"

there isn't any sexualised content at all to my knowledge. She doesn't have an onlyfans. It's literally people paying for exclusive 'vlogs' where she talks and behaves like a Japanese person.

Maybe some dudes jack off to that, I don't know. There must be an audience for western women acting like JP anime characters doing peace sign selfies and walking around Akihabara making animal noises and squeaks. Hilarious to me.

Drizzlehell

Banned
(speaking as someone living in Japan), I've seen countless people like this and the response from Japanese people is positive 99.9% of the time. I think the whole "cultural appropriation" thing was just made up out of nothing by people who feel the need to be permanently outraged and offended.
Well, it could also be seen as a sign of mockery or just plain old stupidity to do stuff like that. Like, if they're not of that culture then why would someone try to do perform this weird caricature of it?

I'm not familiar with Japanese culture so that's why I'm wondering because if I was in their place and saw someone trying too hard to blend in like that I would just think they're making an ass out of themselves and a mockery of my heritage.

CGNoire

Idk I guess I just dont get it?
Her face does nothing for me.
Infact I think "In a couple of photos" Ive seen she looks like she is 15-16 years old.

CGNoire

Is she Japanese? If she is not - why does she have Japanese mannerism? All the childlike cuteness if really off-putting.
I agree its fucking weird. Id like to assume maybe she grew up in the culture and shes is just being herself...otherwise its a little cringe.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Well, it could also be seen as a sign of mockery or just plain old stupidity to do stuff like that. Like, if they're not of that culture then why would someone try to do perform this weird caricature of it?

I'm not familiar with Japanese culture so that's why I'm wondering because if I was in their place and saw someone trying too hard to blend in like that I would just think they're making an ass out of themselves and a mockery of my heritage.
Well I guess it's up to you to decide what to assume before knowing the facts. I used to assume all sorts of things but it gets tiring always assuming the worst in people. Besides, (1) trying to blend in and failing and (2) actively mocking someone or their heritage, sound like two completely separate things.

Last edited:
If white person A puts on a kimono and white person B says it’s offensive, person B is taking the position that person A is mocking, an action that can inherently only come from being in a superior position.

Logically person B is the racist here. Lel.

Fools idol

Banned
I agree its fucking weird. Id like to assume maybe she grew up in the culture and shes is just being herself...otherwise its a little cringe.
it's fucking astronomical cringe

You can see on the faces of some of the people around her in the video cringing at her as well lol.

Emedan

I speak 3 languages, understand 5; pronouncing names correctly is in fact one of the most important things because people can take offense real quick if you don't.
The only thing ignorant here is actually believing japanese people wouldn't understand her saying ashley properly, and again that's not really the point, the point here she's just doing it for the sake of that trash 'cutesy' persona.
Impressive to then not understand linguistics. Some who perhaps speak some English could understand "Ashley", what makes you think all do? Sorry but your take is garbage cause it's not how languages work. Anyway this is Off topic - I said my piece.

Power Pro

I don't understand the comments on her trying to sound a certain way when say the names and how it sounds wrong, and picking on her for it.

I never got fluent, but I studied Japanese for a while, and once I started speaking in it, I started to form an accent. Part of it was intentional because it felt more natural speaking Japanese and not just trying to talk in my normal tone because my way of speaking English is pretty sloppy. In an effort to not break that accent, I said names like I would the rest of Japanese words. For example when I said a classmate's name, who was Chris, I called them kurisu-san. It just felt more natural to say names with the accent, because otherwise it felt like I was having to speak two languages at the same time which can be more tricky on the brain.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Some who perhaps speak some English could understand "Ashley", what makes you think all do?
Knowing English or not is irrelevant because it's not about loanwords, it's about a name; "I am/my name is x" is the same in every language, if your name has sounds in it that don't exist in their language, it may be harder to reproduce in speech without practice, but they sure as fuck understood that you just said a name and will recognise it being said going forward because listening (passive understanding) and speaking (active construction of sounds and sentences) are two different skill sets.

Again, the only thing ignorant here is to just assume they wouldn't understand. But you've "said your piece" so let's move on indeed.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Knowing English or not is irrelevant because it's not about loanwords, it's about a name; "I am/my name is x" is the same in every language, if your name has sounds in it that don't exist in their language, it may be harder to reproduce in speech without practice, but they sure as fuck understood that you just said a name and will recognise it being said going forward because listening (passive understanding) and speaking (active construction of sounds and sentences) are two different skill sets.

Again, the only thing ignorant here is to just assume they wouldn't understand. But you've "said your piece" so let's move on indeed.
She’s speaking in Japanese to a Japanese audience. You use katakana to form foreign words in Japanese. Calling her a bitch for speaking Japanese correctly is idiotic. Go away and learn some manners.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Well I guess it's up to you to decide what to assume before knowing the facts.
That's the whole point of asking questions, isn't it? :pie_fwt:

If you're saying that the Japanese don't have a problem with it then cool. But that doesn't mean other cultures wouldn't be taken aback by this, so it's a valid question.

calistan

She’s speaking in Japanese to a Japanese audience. You use katakana to form foreign words in Japanese. Calling her a bitch for speaking Japanese correctly is idiotic. Go away and learn some manners.
Damn right. I used to have business cards with my name spelled out phonetically, because Japanese people wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about in an English accent.

Also, one time I tried to order a beer without pronouncing it properly and they brought me a Perrier water.

I get where they're coming from though. It's kinda bothering me the more it happens...like yeah, part of me wants to say "well...good on you for finding a good source of income" but it's like...more and more women keep thinking their body is a commodity and as if we don't have problems trying to find connections or love in this world, this idea that keeps spreading that women should get paid for their affections or to be admired is just, it's another barrier being created for trying to find a connection with the opposite sex in the world.

"Oh, you wanna get to know me?? Well sign up for my patreon, and you can know all about me! *wink*"
You’re not wrong but what you’re pointing out is a larger social issue that has very little to do with a model in Japan going to buy a video game.

Truth be told, I didn’t even know about this(and I’m sure others here probably didn’t either) until people started posting tons of risqué pictures of her here. These guys just did advertising for her, free of charge, all because of being horny while browsing a forum.

To me that’s fair play.

K' Dash

For a moment I saw a flash of pre-exodus EviLore, lol.

(from her IG)

Yeah she is undoubtedly attractive but her over-the-top mannerisms would get annoying really quickly.

I live in Japan and (based on my experience at least) the only guys who act like that are weeb as fuck (WAF). The only girls who do it are either WAF or just doing it because guys (especially Japanese ones) are obsessed with girls looking kawaii, young, innocent etc.

It's funny if you go on her IG and scroll down all the way to the start, you'll see she's actually fairly normal but at some point decided that she would gain more fans (read: make more money) really leaning into the whole "sugoi, kawaii, thehehehe, oopsy whoopseeeeeey" type vibe.

End of the day, if you can take a bunch of pictures and people will literally pay for those pictures, you've basically figured out "the game" so fair play.
WAF :pie_roffles: I'm pretty sure I unfollowed once she started aiming her content that way.

I get it, the weeb thing is a "thing"... it just ain't my thing. Especially when they're so over the top, it's too much.

NT80

I don't understand the comments on her trying to sound a certain way when say the names and how it sounds wrong, and picking on her for it.

I never got fluent, but I studied Japanese for a while, and once I started speaking in it, I started to form an accent. Part of it was intentional because it felt more natural speaking Japanese and not just trying to talk in my normal tone because my way of speaking English is pretty sloppy. In an effort to not break that accent, I said names like I would the rest of Japanese words. For example when I said a classmate's name, who was Chris, I called them kurisu-san. It just felt more natural to say names with the accent, because otherwise it felt like I was having to speak two languages at the same time which can be more tricky on the brain.
I'm learning it and feel the same. If I said a name that's foreign in Japanese and didn't pronounce it as it would be spelt out in Katakana (Engrish) it would feel out of place/jarring in a sentence. It would be like switching to English mid sentence for one word.

Idk I guess I just dont get it?
Her face does nothing for me.
Infact I think "In a couple of photos" Ive seen she looks like she is 15-16 years old.
She has the face of the idealized/fetishized white girl that Japanese people seem to have: angelic, young looking, porcelain pale, blonde blue eyes, and somewhat familiar facial structure to Japanese idols. It's that unthreatening, "soft" look combined with the mannerisms. The same way your dad/grandad's generation thought Asian women who had tans, upturned eyes, square faces, thin lips and high cheek bones (Gong Li, Tia Carrera, Joan Chen) were hot, and Gen X added dyed pixe cuts to that, before Kpop shifted Asian beauty standards for everyone. It's a culture thing.

I wouldn't worry about them taking offence. They love seeing cute white girls try to fit in with this kind of stuff. The Japenese LOVE white girls. They are also a very racist bunch of a motherfuckas.
I agree wholeheartedly, though the opposite is true as well. I think it's normal for people to be drawn to the "exotic" an "foreign" especially if you have little exposure to it in real life.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

I get that but I don’t agree. I speak fluent French and in corpo structure the language is ridden with English words - team building, align, etc. I speak them as I do English words, I do not make them sound French with an accent, seems bizarre to me.

Although with Japanese and the phonetic pronunciation of English words (Fajnaru Fantazi) I see the point.

CGNoire

She has the face of the idealized/fetishized white girl that Japanese people seem to have: angelic, young looking, porcelain pale, blonde blue eyes, and somewhat familiar facial structure to Japanese idols. It's that unthreatening, "soft" look combined with the mannerisms. The same way your dad/grandad's generation thought Asian women who had tans, upturned eyes, square faces, thin lips and high cheek bones (Gong Li, Tia Carrera, Joan Chen) were hot, and Gen X added dyed pixe cuts to that, before Kpop shifted Asian beauty standards for everyone. It's a culture thing.

I agree wholeheartedly, though the opposite is true as well. I think it's normal for people to be drawn to the "exotic" an "foreign" especially if you have little exposure to it in real life.
Dude Tia Carrera in her prime wasnt some fetish she was objectively hot.

UnNamed

Banned
For example when I said a classmate's name, who was Chris, I called them kurisu-san.
I'm not totally convinced.

For example, here we have struggle to pronounce "thirteen" since we don't have the phonetic for "thir" with the tongue between tooths, so we say something like "feerteen", some even say "teerteen".

I wouldn't have problem if I don't pronounce it correctly when I'm in the US or UK.

But imagine if a US guy or any other country with this phonetics come here in Italy and start to say "feerteen" to appear more Italian.

GymWolf

Tia carrere was just smoking hot, full stop.

Yes but beauty standards are modified by culture, although I don’t know by how far because I think there is a core objectivity to beauty.

The bums shown off at the start of Miami Vice do not cut it in today’s pop culture.

Last edited:

calistan

I'm not totally convinced.

For example, here we have struggle to pronounce "thirteen" since we don't have the phonetic for "thir" with the tongue between tooths, so we say something like "feerteen", some even say "teerteen".

I wouldn't have problem if I don't pronounce it correctly when I'm in the US or UK.

But imagine if a US guy or any other country with this phonetics come here in Italy and start to say "feerteen" to appear more Italian.
I think it's something that's unique to Japan. Historically, it probably stems from their policy of isolationism, which only ended 150-odd years ago. They now have a lot of foreign words that are incorporated into the language, but there's a very particular way of pronouncing them using Japanese phonetics. If you recognise one of these loan words as originating in your own language, and pronouce it "correctly", a lot of Japanese speakers will have a hard time understanding you. Same thing goes for names.

I don't get these analogies, wasn't the whole point of this tangent her pronounciation of the word "playstation"?
You know, a Japanese brand, that is spelled the exact way she spells it, by Japanese people, in fucking Japan?

Esppiral

What bothers me the most is the current hypocrisy of today society, woman fighting for equality, not to being treated like an object etc etc, and everyone seems to agree, then you enter in a thread like this and you can see how both sides are equally rotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom