• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of last-gen in sight? Not for these indie first-person games targetting PS4/XBO in 2023 and beyond

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Introduction:
New, triple A games like The Callisto Protocol and even Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0 highlight that last-gen hardware (and especially Microsoft's Xbox One) is reaching its limits of what is considered a serviceable game. But unlike the PS360 generation, where porting to last-gen mean't porting to a completely different ISA (often with worse results, like Shadow of Mordor on PS360) being x86-based means the cross-gen stage is still heavily in flux.

As time goes forward i hope that more and more studios start dropping PS4/XBO for their triple A efforts, as is apparent in games like Judas and Immortals of Aveum. But i also believe the older platforms are still perfectly sound for indie titles, specifically shooters.

With the retro FPS resurrection, there is more choice than ever in the world of first-person. So in this thread, i wanted to list those known games that are going to be released on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2023 and beyond. What's left in the tank for these then decade-old platforms?

Note: I may have missed a few. Far as i can tell, these are all the games with announced PS4/XBO versions.

In random order:

Scathe (PS4/XBO release: Early 2023)

Meet Your Maker (PS4/XBO release: April 4, 2023)

Hyenas (PS4/XBO release: 2023) (Creative Assembly)

Warhammer 40K: Boltgun (PS4/XBO release: 2023)

Return to Nangrim (PS4/XBO release: TBA 2023)

Hypergun (PS4/XBO release: TBA 2023)

Wrath: Aeon of Ruin (PS4/XBO release: Spring 2023)

Hypercharge: Unboxed (XBO release: Q1 2023. PS4 release: TBA)

Quantum League (PS4/XBO release: TBA 2023)

System Shock Remake (PS4/XBO release: March 2023)

Exocide
(PS4/XBO release: 2023)

Cultic (PS4/XBO release: Planned for 2022, but likely 2023)

Turbo Overkill (PS4/XBO release: 2023)

Peripeteia (PS4/XBO release: Was end of 2022, now TBA 2023)

Earth From Another Sun (PS4/XBO release: TBA 2023)

Instinction (Unreal Engine 5) (PS4/XBO release: Was September 2022, now with new funding release TBA 2025!)

LEAP (PS4 release: TBA. Is for end of this year, but likely this is 2023)

Postal: Brain Damaged
(PS4/XBO release: TBA)

Atomic Heart (PS4/XBO release: February 21, 2023)

XDefiant
(PS4/XBO release: TBA)

Nightmare Reaper (PS4/XBO release: Q1 2023)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A last-gen console is like having a PC with a GTX 1060: you'll be missing the hotter AAA stuff, but you'll still be able to play most of the stuff at 1080. To me the newer consoles feel more like an upgrade rather than something 100% new.

When it comes to the games you posted, some cool stuff in there. Boltgun looks amazing.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Happy Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There’s nothing cross gen about these. Most have been on PC for some time and you’re now finally getting a port.

Crayon

The only issue I have with PS4 is the load times. Games run and look great. Controllers is great, system front end is still nice if a little sluggish. The load times are the worst part but not a total deal-breaker. Most importantly it's not starved for ram. The first gen tat wasnt. That's what would make previous gens really fall behind in the end of their lives.

Overall, if we are going to drag along a previous gen for such a duration, PS4 is not a bad console to do it with. The most intensive aaa games should start coming ps5-only, but practically anything below that level of production may as well be on PS4 and just have the settings cranked and the load times chopped for a PS5 version.

PS5's full capability will be put to good use for vr though. PS4 was barely adequate there. It pulled it off, but PS5 will provide a great cast improvement.

Top Bottom